All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Doogie expects no changes to the roster or coaching changes before Friday. Falvey thinks all is well and won't admit being wrong on Kepler or Gallo. There's your answer, Joe Pohlad. Your move.
I wouldn't count on Doogie being a very good source of information. Falvey may think that not all is well and privately he may have concerns about Kepler or Gallo. He isn't going to trash his players in public. Just because Pohlad or Falvey aren't berating players or coaches in public doesn't mean a thing as far as I'm concerned, Twins management is concerned about what is going on in my opinion.

I wouldn't count on Doogie being a very good source of information. Falvey may think that not all is well and privately he may have concerns about Kepler or Gallo. He isn't going to trash his players in public. Just because Pohlad or Falvey aren't berating players or coaches in public doesn't mean a thing as far as I'm concerned, Twins management is concerned about what is going on in my opinion.
Short term moves like this, I think Doogie is actually pretty well plugged in and trust his reporting. He said he does not expect any big changes before Friday (firing hitting coach, or DFAing Kepler/Gallo).

Beyond this Friday or weekend, who knows, things could change.

They would have to not have a pulse to not be concerned. But being concerned doesn't pay the bills, taking action does. I said this before, and I'll say it again - the fact that Tommy Watkins was kept on the staff after his abysmal 2022 was the canary in the coal mine. They have an electric CF sitting on the bench to prevent him from hurting himself. From ownership to GM office to the manager in the dugout, this organization is allergic to taking action and doing anything but playing it as safe as humanly possible. Don't rock the boat. Don't make anybody mad. Just sit back and collect your paycheck and/or gate receipts and revenue sharing. Keeping the same formula going over and over again works when you're the Rays and it's proven to work. When you've lost 18 straight playoff games, and may only back your way into the playoffs because your division is trash means maybe you need to rock the boat occasionally.

I'm not advocating for major changes this year. I'm fine with them standing pat or selling a few pieces at the deadline. With this lineup, they are not getting past the first round of the playoff anyway, so what's the difference. But Pohlad's words are hollow if no major changes occur this offseason. Until proven otherwise, I'm not convinced he's overly concerned. There are generally two types of owners - ones that come from legacy money and generally just like to keep the gravy train running, and those that are new money that like to make big moves. Not to say those big changes always work- look at how much money the Mets and Padres have spent and where they're sitting in the standings. But hey, they're trying something!

They would have to not have a pulse to not be concerned. But being concerned doesn't pay the bills, taking action does. I said this before, and I'll say it again - the fact that Tommy Watkins was kept on the staff after his abysmal 2022 was the canary in the coal mine. They have an electric CF sitting on the bench to prevent him from hurting himself. From ownership to GM office to the manager in the dugout, this organization is allergic to taking action and doing anything but playing it as safe as humanly possible. Don't rock the boat. Don't make anybody mad. Just sit back and collect your paycheck and/or gate receipts and revenue sharing. Keeping the same formula going over and over again works when you're the Rays and it's proven to work. When you've lost 18 straight playoff games, and may only back your way into the playoffs because your division is trash means maybe you need to rock the boat occasionally.

I'm not advocating for major changes this year. I'm fine with them standing pat or selling a few pieces at the deadline. With this lineup, they are not getting past the first round of the playoff anyway, so what's the difference. But Pohlad's words are hollow if no major changes occur this offseason. Until proven otherwise, I'm not convinced he's overly concerned. There are generally two types of owners - ones that come from legacy money and generally just like to keep the gravy train running, and those that are new money that like to make big moves. Not to say those big changes always work- look at how much money the Mets and Padres have spent and where they're sitting in the standings. But hey, they're trying something!
Buxton physically can't play CF.

If the FO was only about playing it as safe as humanly possible then they wouldn't have made all the trades they have in the past few years.

A much bigger issue IMO is the philosophies on the field that they continue with that is clearly not working.

If the FO was only about playing it as safe as humanly possible then they wouldn't have made all the trades they have in the past few years.

A much bigger issue IMO is the philosophies on the field that they continue with that is clearly not working.

I agree. The front office often gets criticized locally for being cheap/passive/etc. Some of it is warranted but more of it stems from how it operated IN THE PAST, in my opinion. This regime has been very active making trades (Gray/Mahle/Paddock/Maeda/Ryan/Lopez/others) to create one of the best starting staffs in baseball. They have not shied away from trading away prospects to improve their team. Some have worked (Ryan). Others have not (Mahle). They have signed big free agent contracts (Donaldson, Correa) and paid big money to keep their own players (Buxton/Lopez).

But at some point, you have to look at the nucleus that was to be the core that led this team to sustained success. They just have not delivered.

Miranda/Julien/Kirilloff/Buxton/Lewis/Gordon/Wallner/Kepler -- either through injury, underperformance, philosophy, or an over-evaluation of their collective talent have been a disappointment. Flashes at times but collectively not good enough to compete at the highest level. Is that on the coaching staff, evaluators, or the players themselves?

And to be clear, I'm not saying the FO shouldn't be criticized because they absolutely should be IMO. Just that this FO has been extremely active, certainly compared to the past. They've taken chances, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Miranda/Julien/Kirilloff/Buxton/Lewis/Gordon/Wallner/Kepler -- either through injury, underperformance, philosophy, or an over-evaluation of their collective talent have been a disappointment. Flashes at times but collectively not good enough to compete at the highest level. Is that on the coaching staff, evaluators, or the players themselves?
Yes.

from my point of view - an organization functions from the top down. the organizational philosophy is set at the top and the lower-level employees are expected to follow that philosophy.

in other words - firing Rocco, or the hitting coach, or dumping Kepler or Gallo really doesn't make a difference IF the organizational philosophy remains the same. because the management decisions that led to the current state of affairs will still be made by the same people with the same philosophy.

If you want real change - significant organizational change - you have to get rid of Falvey. anything short of that is window dressing.

from my point of view - an organization functions from the top down. the organizational philosophy is set at the top and the lower-level employees are expected to follow that philosophy.

in other words - firing Rocco, or the hitting coach, or dumping Kepler or Gallo really doesn't make a difference IF the organizational philosophy remains the same. because the management decisions that led to the current state of affairs will still be made by the same people with the same philosophy.

If you want real change - significant organizational change - you have to get rid of Falvey. anything short of that is window dressing.
good point and that’s what the take was from the Twins beat writers for The Athletic; it’s not Rocko’s fault Wallner isn’t up and that Kepler/Gallo are still on the roster.

I think internal scouting is a much bigger issue. They always seem to get rid of the wrong guy, at least in my short term memory.

I think internal scouting is a much bigger issue. They always seem to get rid of the wrong guy, at least in my short term memory.
I think it seems like that’s the case more than it is reality. Every time a guy like Akil Baddoo or Brent Rooker have a hot month people talk about it. But then the talk goes away once they struggle.

By today's standards I'm sure the Bambino is considered an Iron Horse as far as games played, but he did miss a substantial amount of contests (other than 1928).

He also died at 53 so perhaps not a training regimen the modern ball player would model themselves after. I'm sure it was fun though.

109 years ago yesterday marked Babe Ruth's MLB debut.

Got the W as starting pitcher for the Red Sox against the Cleveland Naps. Also was pulled for a pinch hitter after going 0-2 and batting 9th in the line up. It wouldn't take long for those trends to stop.

Buxton can run first to third or home and can't play cf?

109 years ago yesterday marked Babe Ruth's MLB debut.

Got the W as starting pitcher for the Red Sox against the Cleveland Naps. Also was pulled for a pinch hitter after going 0-2 and batting 9th in the line up. It wouldn't take long for those trends to stop.
Looking at the Nap lineup these 3 things jump out:

- Namesake and all time great Nap Lajoie was still on the team.

- Would be HoF but also a Black Sock, Shoeless Joe Jackson was on the team.

- Ray Chapman was listed. Later in 1920 while still with Cleveland, he became and still is the only MLB player to die as the result of an injury in a game. He was hit in the head by a Carl Mays fastball. This led to the banning of foreign substances as well tossing out balls once they were dirty. I have read they were disgustingly unsanitary as well as a potential missile, pre-batting helmets.

This is the part I don't understand. Too much running?
Standing apparently also puts his chronic leg at risk, I have heard this suggested in the local media.

Standing apparently also puts his chronic leg at risk, I have heard this suggested in the local media.
I'd love to know at what point this became a "chronic" knee/leg issue. If the organization knew this was always going to be a problem and still signed him to a 7-year contract, that's even worse than all the trades they made for injured pitchers.

You also have to quickly change directions in the field where it's mainly running straight on the base paths.

To me it's obvious just when he's running to first that he's hurting pretty bad.

3. Twins
The biggest winners in the first-ever lottery, the Twins moved up from No. 13 to No. 5 and landed a No. 1 pick-caliber talent in potential five-tool high school outfielder Walker Jenkins. They followed up with four more top-three-rounds talents in electric prep right-hander Charlee Soto (supplemental first round), Arizona State offensive second baseman Luke Keaschall (second), hard-hitting high school outfielder Brandon Winokur (third) and Southern Mississippi righty Tanner Hall (fourth). The latter's changeup and control ranked among the best in the Draft. Prep righty Dylan Questad (fifth), Arizona State left-hander Ross Dunn (10th) and California righty Paulshawn Pasqualotto (12th) are three more interesting arms.

The Twins are really going to roll with absolutely zero roster or staff moves. Even the A's are calling up prospects and at least trying.

Two things -
1. Finally! One of the Brewers series is on a weekend. Somebody can correct me if wrong, but I believe since they went to a balanced 15/15 AL/NL team split, the Twins/Brewers series (both home and away) have all been a 2-game series, and thus required to always play on a weekday. Adding another off day on All Star break Friday break gives them a 2-game weekend series. That will be a full stadium and a lot of fun.
2. Why does the MLB announce this in July? They had the all-star game, the draft, and now 2024 schedule all in the same week. It's like they don't hire publicity people. The NFL is king partially because it's exciting, but partially because of their incredible knack for spreading things out and constantly staying in the news due to things happening. MLB shoots their wad all at once, and other than "hot stove season", is largely irrelevant in their offseason. For a league that is struggling with interest, it would seem they should be going out of their way to keep themselves in the news.

Last edited:

I'd love to know at what point this became a "chronic" knee/leg issue. If the organization knew this was always going to be a problem and still signed him to a 7-year contract, that's even worse than all the trades they made for injured pitchers.
This. How much was known when he signed the contract? I'd sure like to give the Twins the benefit of the doubt, but holy cow do they have a sorted recent history with signing guys that are damaged goods. His contract is relatively team friendly (from a monetary perspective), so I'm not so opposed to the contract itself. But if they knew this was likely to be an issue going forward, they signed an oft-injured CF that is now so crippled he can only run in straight lines is not a good omen. The fact that he will clog the DH spot for his entire tenure moving forward reduces roster flexibility exponentially. Add in Royce Lewis and his constant injuries, Mahle, Correa and his mystery ankle, (among others) and it's really hard to not be skeptical.

Two things -
1. Finally! One of the Brewers series is on a weekend. Somebody can correct me if wrong, but I believe since they went to a balanced 15/15 AL/NL team split, the Twins/Brewers series (both home and away) have all been a 2-game series, and thus required to always play on a weekday. Adding another off day on All Star break Friday break gives them a 2-game weekend series. That will be a full stadium and a lot of fun.
2. Why does the MLB announce this in July? They had the all-star game, the draft, and now 2024 schedule all in the same week. It's like they don't hire publicity people. The NFL is king partially because it's exciting, but partially because of their incredible knack for spreading things out and constantly staying in the news due to things happening. MLB shoots their wad all at once, and other than "hot stove season", is largely irrelevant in their offseason. For a league that is struggling with interest, it would seem they should be going out of their way to keep themselves in the news.

My opinion was it was a smart move to announce the 2024 Schedule yesterday. It was a day there were no MLB games being played, more than a day after the All Star game and before NFL Training Camps open.

There was next to nothing going on in North American sports.

Two things -
I think there was a year that the Twins & Brewers played a Fri-Mon series. Friday & Saturday in Minnesota with Sunday & Monday in Milwaukee.

That would work!!!!

Last night, my nephew in Phoenix called me and ask me that if I was coming down there in June to see the Twins play the Diamondbacks.

I said that even though they play inside, it's way too hot down there in June.

All Star break was not used to reset the brains.

Farmer and Miranda batting 4/5.

The insanity is bound to continue. Actively try not to make good lineups.

Top Bottom