All Things 2023 Gophers Fall Camp Thread (Tweets, Pics, Video and More)

Per STrib:

Practice notes

The Gophers held a spirited practice Tuesday that was open to media members. With the Aug. 31 season opener against Nebraska quickly approaching, the intensity ramped up. Especially on offense, the Gophers were much sharper than they were during Saturday night's open practice. Here are some highlights:

*Quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis showed off his big arm by hitting Daniel Jackson early in practice for a 55-yard touchdown pass and Le'Meke Brockington later in the afternoon with another 50-yard-plus bomb.

"We're going to be an efficient offense,'' Jackson said. "We're going to make plays. Whatever is called, we're gonna make the most out of it.''

*Cornerback Tyler Bride, a transfer from Georgia Southern, read a pass by Cole Kramer, jumped the route and grabbed an interception.

*Running back Sean Tyler, the graduate transfer from Western Michigan, stood out among his position group.

*Wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell took part in individual drills as he works his way back from a knee injury that ended his 2022 season. The Gophers are easing Autman-Bell back into action.

Go Gophers!!

I'm gonna guess they may keep CAB out of the Nebraska game if they thing they can manage, give him a little more time to ramp back up to full.

Nice to read the reports of Athan hitting Jackson and Brockington for deep TD's and Bride getting a pick against Kramer (nothing against Kramer). We're going to need more explosive plays in the passing game this season and Bride is one of the guys competing for that wide open CB sport opposite Walley (of course not great that Walley was the guy Jackson got behind, but such is the nature of practice where you've got to be a little concerned about one side of the ball or the other).
I think Bride wins that spot. I liked his game watching a little bit of him with Georgia Southern, not big but physical and solid hands.

They do have different throwing motions. IMHO they will both be fine. The problems seem to multiply when some QB coach wants to mess with their form when they are in their 20's. Too late at that point, just let 'em throw it.
Anybody who subscribes to TheAthletic and has any interests in kids playing quarterback....these stories are very interesting:
QB Training Cost
QB Coaches

I'm gonna guess they may keep CAB out of the Nebraska game if they thing they can manage, give him a little more time to ramp back up to full.
If he's not healthy, he's not healthy but, the Nebraska game is hugely important. We lose there and the season's dreams are very uphill.

If he's not healthy, he's not healthy but, the Nebraska game is hugely important. We lose there and the season's dreams are very uphill.
Blurb in the St. Paul paper. Hopefully no alarm means just that.

No alarm bell on Autman-Bell

Coming off a torn ACL, Chris Autman-Bell was limited to walk-through and individual portions of practice Saturday. Fleck said that is not a concern.

Autman-Bell participated more in Friday’s practice, with limited reps, as the U medical staff “eases” him back into action, Fleck said.

“There is no need to jump a guy like that,” Fleck said. “The experience he has (in his seventh season at the U), you want to make sure he is as healthy as can be. The trainers have him on a really good schedule, so (Saturday) was technically one of those ‘off’ days.”

Last edited:

The receiver room is deep enough with CAB or not. Played fine last year without him. I agree losing and season dreams are over but CAB will not be the difference between a win and a loss.

Brockington never seems to get much attention from media or Fleck in press gaggles and I don't want to blow his cover by mentioning him here, but it sure seems like he's a big play waiting to happen. Nice that kaliakmanishegooood! Is finding him with the ball.

Anything to the Boe to LG and Shaw to C rumors? Also Guedet at RG and Carroll RT?

Who gets the most reps at CB and LB?

There have been a lot of great receiver clips over the last week, except none of them had AK throwing the ball....

I like the Gophers depth at almost every position, except at QB. AK has to stay healthy and can't be limited if they are going to have a chance at winning the west this season.

There have been a lot of great receiver clips over the last week, except none of them had AK throwing the ball....

I like the Gophers depth at almost every position, except at QB. AK has to stay healthy and can't be limited if they are going to have a chance at winning the west this season.
He’s got a good one here. There’s a lot of cool clips if you slow it down actually.

Cole Kramer is a competent backup. Stranger things due to injuries can happen. They better get Drew Viotto up to speed in his development.

Cole Kramer is a competent backup. Stranger things due to injuries can happen. They better get Drew Viotto up to speed in his development.

AK is still practicing, although it has been limited. So we know at least whatever is bothering him is not major which is good.

We don't know if Kramer is a competent backup, and how he'd handle being a full time starting QB. We know he can run. But he's small, and this is his 5th season yet he only has 8 completions for 103 yards over his career. Being a wildcat QB may be his best role.

Viotto is a true Freshman and even if he turns out to be good, the offense would likely be limited if he or Kramer have to play a significant amount.

I think the Gophers can still be competitive if AK goes down, I just don't see them getting to 10 or 11 wins and winning the west if he does miss games. AK is the most important player to keep healthy this season.

AK is still practicing, although it has been limited. So we know at least whatever is bothering him is not major which is good.

We don't know if Kramer is a competent backup, and how he'd handle being a full time starting QB. We know he can run. But he's small, and this is his 5th season yet he only has 8 completions for 103 yards over his career. Being a wildcat QB may be his best role.

Viotto is a true Freshman and even if he turns out to be good, the offense would likely be limited if he or Kramer have to play a significant amount.

I think the Gophers can still be competitive if AK goes down, I just don't see them getting to 10 or 11 wins and winning the west if he does miss games. AK is the most important player to keep healthy this season.
Did I miss something here? Is AK nursing an injury of some kind? Your post alludes to it. Hope that is not the case!

Somewhere it was mentioned by PJ (I think) that Athan was getting limited reps, at least at the beginning of camp. I interpreted that to mean "We're doing everything we can to reduce the chance of a camp injury, while still getting him ready, and also getting the backups used to the new OCs", I guess some folks interpreted that as "Athan has a minor injury bothering him"?

Somewhere it was mentioned by PJ (I think) that Athan was getting limited reps, at least at the beginning of camp. I interpreted that to mean "We're doing everything we can to reduce the chance of a camp injury, while still getting him ready, and also getting the backups used to the new OCs", I guess some folks interpreted that as "Athan has a minor injury bothering him"?
Did I miss something here? Is AK nursing an injury of some kind? Your post alludes to it. Hope that is not the case!

Neither AK or Nubin participated in the last open practice. Here's PJ's direct quote:

Nubin was on the field, but had his plays severely limited. The Gophers kick off the 2023 season in 16 days against Nebraska at Huntington Bank Stadium. P.J. Fleck said after Tuesday’s practice neither are injured, but both were held back at the advice of team trainers.

"Nothing big. We do a lot of things based on science and the data. The trainers held back him and Tyler today based on numbers, data, throws, reps, stuff like that," Fleck said. "They make all those decisions in who practices and who doesn’t. I don’t, but they’re both full-go tomorrow. Just managing reps."

Since then there have been quite a few video clips from Gophers social media of practice showing Kramer and Viotto throwing to the top WR group.

It's purely speculation on my part, but this seems more like coach speak and that something minor is up with AK. Limiting a RS SO going into his first full season as a starter with new coordinators and new WR's....doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Could it be related to the injury in the bowl game? I don't remember exactly what it was.

Yeah, something about using some metrics to monitor his throws. I don't think there's any injury. Plus, given Fleck's bent towards secrecy, it makes sense that they limit the videos of AK throws.

The durability of AK is paramount to the Gophers' campaign this season.

Top Bottom