All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Growing up in Minnesota didn't prevent Mauer from signing with Florida State to play football after high school.
That doesn't mean he and the rest of the Mauer's weren't Gopher fans. Making a business decision and being a fan are often mutually exclusive.

I don't think a Fortune 500 company is going to get involved with individuals and NIL. They have shareholders. Any negative publicity about the NIL target having some domestic issue, drug/drinking arrest, fighting, grades, any kind of discipline issue is too big of a risk.

Maybe, something for the entire athletic department or entire teams is feasible but 18 year old stand alone individuals seems pretty risky.

Most of the NIL deals seemingly are being provided by small successful local companies or individuals in other areas. Baldy's BBQ is the only one I recall hearing about locally?

Q&A: White Bear Lake Junior Jack Janicki Talks Recruiting – “I’m looking to make a decision long before school starts, like end of July.”

Always easier to spend someone’s else’s money - the large NIL money will be from boosters and not local businesses- 50k buys lots of local commercial spots -

Also Minnesotans are notoriously tight with their cash, so I don’t expect their to be line of alums writing checks
You could be right. And if you are, I suspect mediocrity will be the soup of day. How can you compete, when the competition is doing this...

Don't see any discussion on Kadyn Betts here. Betts is a forward from Colorado, with family from Minnesota, that visited Minnesota recently and walked away with an offer. Ryan James is a big fan of his and sees him as an ascending player. I am not sure if the Gophers could take him with Nolan Winter or if it would be a one or the other type situation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/diOsBXbli3A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't see any discussion on Kadyn Betts here. Betts is a forward from Colorado, with family from Minnesota, that visited Minnesota recently and walked away with an offer. Ryan James is a big fan of his and sees him as an ascending player. I am not sure if the Gophers could take him with Nolan Winter or if it would be a one or the other type situation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/diOsBXbli3A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Betts and Winter are ranked 87th and 88th Nationally on Prep Hoops.

I watched the full game of his team against Minnesota Fury. Minnesota Fury has Max Shikenjanski the PG from Wayzata (Tibbets?) and a few other players.

He is a pretty impressive guy. He is big and really skilled. On some plays, he reminded me a lot of Dan Coleman. He is a skilled guy. I'd be more than happy to land him.

On a different note, Tibbets is really a good basketball player. I know he isn't ranked high and likely doesn't have the size to be offered a Big 10 scholarship but he is a really good basketball player. I know people who follow recruiting will roll their eyes, but I'd strongly consider offering him.

I watched the full game of his team against Minnesota Fury. Minnesota Fury has Max Shikenjanski the PG from Wayzata (Tibbets?) and a few other players.

He is a pretty impressive guy. He is big and really skilled. On some plays, he reminded me a lot of Dan Coleman. He is a skilled guy. I'd be more than happy to land him.

On a different note, Tibbets is really a good basketball player. I know he isn't ranked high and likely doesn't have the size to be offered a Big 10 scholarship but he is a really good basketball player. I know people who follow recruiting will roll their eyes, but I'd strongly consider offering him.
Offer him here?

Offer him here?
Yep. I've seen him play against Carrington, Holloman, Minnehaha, etc. He has played against the best and really given them trouble. He can handle the ball and shoot. I don't think he is THE answer at PG or anything like that but I think he will be a player who is good enough to contribute at the Big 10 level. He's the kind of player you first see and think he's going to play in the MIAC. Then you watch him and you can squint more - - at least I could (or thought I could).

Yep. I've seen him play against Carrington, Holloman, Minnehaha, etc. He has played against the best and really given them trouble. He can handle the ball and shoot. I don't think he is THE answer at PG or anything like that but I think he will be a player who is good enough to contribute at the Big 10 level. He's the kind of player you first see and think he's going to play in the MIAC. Then you watch him and you can squint more - - at least I could (or thought I could).
I see him as D2 or Summit League (best case) he is good guard but not high level imo

Well since we have 2 open scholarships this year apparently, maybe Ben Johnson starts a walk-on program and awards them year to year.

I see him as D2 or Summit League (best case) he is good guard but not high level imo
I get that. I think the vast majority of people agree with you.

Note, I'm not at all blaming anyone for not offering him. I get it 100%. I just there is more there with him.

IMO. He reminds me of the kid from Rosemount going to UMD… I thought that kid was borderline Summit…Slawik? UMD is loaded

IMO. He reminds me of the kid from Rosemount going to UMD… I thought that kid was borderline Summit…Slawik? UMD is loaded
UMD is loaded.

For me, the difference between Tibbits and Siewek or something like that, is that Tibbits is a true PG. I don't think Siewik handles the ball well enough to play PG in the Big 10. I actually think he will play off the ball at the UMD.

UMD is loaded.

For me, the difference between Tibbits and Siewek or something like that, is that Tibbits is a true PG. I don't think Siewik handles the ball well enough to play PG in the Big 10. I actually think he will play off the ball at the UMD.
A better comparison would be Ryan Larson imo.. good player but you have to be special to be a 5’11 guard in the big ten or any HM.

An outlying factor seldom discussed…high school senior boys can grow taller into their freshmen year of college. Sometimes, a couple to several inches.
Girls, very seldom happens.

I wonder if we are still in on Carey Booth (Calvin's son)?
I believe we were one of his early offers and apparently his sister is gonna be a volleyball player at the U next fall. I see Carey is a composite 4-star now.
Re Carey Booth's sister: Carter Booth enrolled at the U in January and is set to go next season. She is a 6'7" middle blocker

I wonder if we are still in on Carey Booth (Calvin's son)?
I believe we were one of his early offers and apparently his sister is gonna be a volleyball player at the U next fall. I see Carey is a composite 4-star now.

A friend of mine out here in Denver who has watched him play in person a couple times and is connected to some Booth family friends says that Carey is really fond of Minnesota from his time growing up here. Take that FWIW, but seems like it can't hurt. Also says that Pat Ewing is making a very hard push for GTown.

A friend of mine out here in Denver who has watched him play in person a couple times and is connected to some Booth family friends says that Carey is really fond of Minnesota from his time growing up here. Take that FWIW, but seems like it can't hurt. Also says that Pat Ewing is making a very hard push for GTown.
Surely helped with his sister. Volleyball has a bit of an edge on basketball by reputation though.

I don't mind recruiting against a coach coming off an 0-19 conference season.

I'm also not surprised with what you said about the Booth family. Calvin was definitely a mainstay in the area and was actively involved in a lot of charities and those sorts of things. His ties to the area are stronger than that of most former players. He is also, supposedly, a really good guy so it's nice knowing Carey comes from good stock both athletically and as a person.

Top Bottom