All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I don't mind recruiting against a coach coming off an 0-19 conference season.

I'm also not surprised with what you said about the Booth family. Calvin was definitely a mainstay in the area and was actively involved in a lot of charities and those sorts of things. His ties to the area are stronger than that of most former players. He is also, supposedly, a really good guy so it's nice knowing Carey comes from good stock both athletically and as a person.

Have to think (based on size) it may be an either/or between Booth and the other Colorado kid (Kadyn Betts). I believe they are both 6-8. Not that we can't have multiple 6-8 guys, but not sure we have more than 4 spots available and I think we need a couple guards and a transfer spot.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Have to think (based on size) it may be an either/or between Booth and the other Colorado kid (Kadyn Betts). I believe they are both 6-8. Not that we can't have multiple 6-8 guys, but not sure we have more than 4 spots available and I think we need a couple guards and a transfer spot.
Isn’t it more about what positions they can play instead of just size?

Ideally, wouldn’t you want to be as tall as possible at each position assuming they are all athletic enough to defend.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Isn’t it more about what positions they can play instead of just size?

Ideally, wouldn’t you want to be as tall as possible at each position assuming they are all athletic enough to defend.

From what I have read about them, it seems like Betts and Booth are fairly similar type players. I definitely could be wrong though.

Cayman

Reaction score
Don’t remember exactly when we offered, I think it was at least a few months ago by now, but Dennis Evans, a 7’1” center from California, recently got an offer from Kansas, and is now a top 25 recruit in 247’s rankings for 2023. I believe we were also the first high major offer for Andrej Stojakovic, who now has offers from Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, UConn and others, and is also in 247’s top 25. Not sure how much of a player we are now for either of them, but Ben Johnson continues getting in on talented players before they blow up, and hopefully it’ll pay off eventually.

leib0039

Reaction score
Don’t remember exactly when we offered, I think it was at least a few months ago by now, but Dennis Evans, a 7’1” center from California, recently got an offer from Kansas, and is now a top 25 recruit in 247’s rankings for 2023. I believe we were also the first high major offer for Andrej Stojakovic, who now has offers from Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, UConn and others, and is also in 247’s top 25. Not sure how much of a player we are now for either of them, but Ben Johnson continues getting in on talented players before they blow up, and hopefully it’ll pay off eventually.
This to me has been the thing I am most excited about with Ben. It also gives me more confidence in guys like JOJ/Henley that are not as known quantities that he seems something in them. Now the only issue is, getting those kids. Everyone is different, but in 2022 I honestly dont think "first team in" on a kid means anything. They are after NIL, big schools or whatever it may be. I get the idea of being the first big offer but I don't think it will ever be a thing a kid says why he picked the U over a AZ/KU etc.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
This to me has been the thing I am most excited about with Ben. It also gives me more confidence in guys like JOJ/Henley that are not as known quantities that he seems something in them. Now the only issue is, getting those kids. Everyone is different, but in 2022 I honestly dont think "first team in" on a kid means anything. They are after NIL, big schools or whatever it may be. I get the idea of being the first big offer but I don't think it will ever be a thing a kid says why he picked the U over a AZ/KU etc.
What impresses me is his eye for spotting talent early - based on the post you responded to. There are still guys who fall through the cracks aka the Decker & Murray’s of the world and if you scoop up a few of them, it’s a great way to build a program - the guard prospect from 🍒 might be another one.

Last edited:

ecoperson

Reaction score
Four-star forward Milan Momcilovic out of Pewaukee, WI includes the Gophers in his top 6. Thanks to builtbadgers for the lead.

Last edited:

ecoperson

Reaction score
Four-star forward Milan Momcilovic includes the Gophers in his top 6. He breaks down the teams in the link below the tweet.

https://www.on3.com/news/top-50-prospect-milan-momcilovic-announces-top-6-schools/
Momcilovic breaks down the 6 teams here. Has done officials to all but Louisville. Caught everyone's eye at Nike EYBL in Louisville earlier this month.

https://www.on3.com/news/top-50-prospect-milan-momcilovic-announces-top-6-schools/

MN and Iowa St were among the first to offer Momcilovic. Marquette was first.

February 27- Visited Gophers. Earlier had an unofficial.
December 11- Visited Iowa St.
? - Visited Michigan St
Early June - Visited Virginia
June 15/16- Visited UCLA

Last edited:

Go4

Reaction score
why is he not looking at home state wi?

Top Bottom