All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

If it means signing Sonny Grey would you be willing to trade Polonco and Kepler. I am assuming that Grey gets maybe $23million over 3 years, so the salaries are basically a wash if you pick up their options.

If it means signing Sonny Grey would you be willing to trade Polonco and Kepler. I am assuming that Grey gets maybe $23million over 3 years, so the salaries are basically a wash if you pick up their options.
Sonny went on the record saying he likes it here and wants to see what can get done.

Honestly I don’t know. Would you? Great question.

Twins handed ou their awards today and Sonny was MVP. These stats are mind blowing -

Whether it was leading the majors in fewest home runs per nine innings,
finishing third in ERA,
making all 32 of his starts,
allowing three earned runs or fewer in 29 starts, pitching at least five innings in 28 starts or
throwing his most innings since 2015,
Gray was a step above the rest on a staff that included a dominant season from Pablo López.

Gray was named the team’s most valuable player by the Minneapolis chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America, the team announced Thursday.

Probably not. Mainly because I don't believe they have a good option to replace Kepler. Paddock can be really good in the rotation if he stays healthy.

Sonny went on the record saying he likes it here and wants to see what can get done.

Honestly I don’t know. Would you? Great question.
I don’t have a lot of faith that Polonco can play 100 games next year with injuries. I don’t mind Kepler, but the twins have a plethora of left handed outfielders. If I could get Grey for 3 and $65 I think I would take that and pair him with Lopez. Let Larnach, Wallner, Gordon, Castro, and whoever else you want battle it out for the corner outfield positions.

Probably not. Mainly because I don't believe they have a good option to replace Kepler. Paddock can be really good in the rotation if he stays healthy.
But just think if your rotation is Lopez, Grey, and a good Paddock. I think you could find someone to replace Kepler as I don’t think his defense is above average anymore and his bat is just ok. Wallner would probably better out in right field vs left field as people would be reluctant to run on his arm in right.

No. He'll be 34 and will never repeat 2023. I am fine if he just accepts the QO but no multi-year deal longer than two years. I don't view it as a choice between him and Polanco. I'd rather let someone like Taylor walk and use Martin in CF. If you have to trade Kepler I'm on board with that.

No. He'll be 34 and will never repeat 2023. I am fine if he just accepts the QO but no multi-year deal longer than two years. I don't view it as a choice between him and Polanco. I'd rather let someone like Taylor walk and use Martin in CF. If you have to trade Kepler I'm on board with that.
That last start against the Astros left a bad taste in my mouth. The Astros, an excellent hitting team, looked very, very comfortable against Gray. On that night Gray looked like a #4 starter. I'm not sure it makes sense to invest $75M in a 34 year old starting pitcher who can only hit 94mph, regardless of how many different pitches he throws.

I don’t have a lot of faith that Polonco can play 100 games next year with injuries. I don’t mind Kepler, but the twins have a plethora of left handed outfielders. If I could get Grey for 3 and $65 I think I would take that and pair him with Lopez. Let Larnach, Wallner, Gordon, Castro, and whoever else you want battle it out for the corner outfield positions.
My guess is Sonny will want 4 years instead of 3.

There’s very little starting pitching available this year via free agency and he’ll be the belle of the ball.

There’s very little starting pitching available this year via free agency and he’ll be the belle of the ball.
Baltimore was near the bottom in payroll and needs proven/veteran starters. That's a team that would really make sense to me for Gray.

Baltimore was near the bottom in payroll and needs proven/veteran starters. That's a team that would really make sense to me for Gray.
Plus he’d be a great mentor for their young guns

That last start against the Astros left a bad taste in my mouth. The Astros, an excellent hitting team, looked very, very comfortable against Gray. On that night Gray looked like a #4 starter. I'm not sure it makes sense to invest $75M in a 34 year old starting pitcher who can only hit 94mph, regardless of how many different pitches he throws.
The Twins are reasonably well set in 4 starting spots: Lopez, Ryan, Ober and Paddock. I'd much prefer to leave Varland in the bullpen and there's no one else at AAA that does much for me. Woods-Richardson and Dobnak are OK for an emergency spot start, but I don't want them in the Opening Day rotation. So they would need to sign someone or make a trade. I would target a whose in 2nd/3rd year arbitration if they trade Kepler. Perhaps something like Kepler and Woods-Richardson as a package.

Agreed. Maybe you over pay for 3 years vs giving that 4th year. All it takes is some drunk billionaire on Maui to F up the whole thing though.

What about Ohtani? I know he’s not pitching in 2024, but he could insight his pitching wisdom.

The Astros continue to be much better on the road than at home. So far in the playoffs they are 1-3 at home and 4-0 on the road. Already up 1-0 in Game 5.

The Astros continue to be much better on the road than at home. So far in the playoffs they are 1-3 at home and 4-0 on the road. Already up 1-0 in Game 5.
A really baffling trend. Unfortunately for the Astros, they would have Home Field again in the World Series should they be able to close out the ALCS.

I wish Bud would have kept them in the NL.

The Twins are reasonably well set in 4 starting spots: Lopez, Ryan, Ober and Paddock. I'd much prefer to leave Varland in the bullpen and there's no one else at AAA that does much for me. Woods-Richardson and Dobnak are OK for an emergency spot start, but I don't want them in the Opening Day rotation. So they would need to sign someone or make a trade. I would target a whose in 2nd/3rd year arbitration if they trade Kepler. Perhaps something like Kepler and Woods-Richardson as a package.
I don't think Ryan and Ober are particularly dependable. They are both 91-93mph guys in a 97mph league. I'm not buying the Ryan arm angle stuff. I love Paddock and Varland's velocity. I think they will end up leaving Varland in the pen because he's capable of dominating. Not really sure how they will fill out the rotation.

I don't think Ryan and Ober are particularly dependable. They are both 91-93mph guys in a 97mph league. I'm not buying the Ryan arm angle stuff. I love Paddock and Varland's velocity. I think they will end up leaving Varland in the pen because he's capable of dominating. Not really sure how they will fill out the rotation.
Depends on what you mean by dependable. He's made 56 starts over the last two years and pitched to a 4.00 ERA even with the horrible stretch after his injury. I'm fairly comfortable with him as the 3rd or 4th starter. I'm not sure what arm angle stuff you're referring to?

Ober's #'s are slightly better over 2021-23. I don't see any way both aren't in the opening day rotation if healthy.

Depends on what you mean by dependable. He's made 56 starts over the last two years and pitched to a 4.00 ERA even with the horrible stretch after his injury. I'm fairly comfortable with him as the 3rd or 4th starter. I'm not sure what arm angle stuff you're referring to?

Ober's #'s are slightly better over 2021-23. I don't see any way both aren't in the opening day rotation if healthy.
This is one of many articles that talks about Ryan's arm angle:

What a day of baseball.

I was only able to listen to the last few innings of the ALCS and was flipping the NLCS with Gopher Puck. Amazing finishes.

on signing Gray - still hearing a lot of buzz from media types, including Reusse, that the Twins will likely cut their payroll going into next year.

Twins had $55-million in payments from Bally's this season (thanks to the bankruptcy court Judge who ruled that Diamond had to make their payments in full).

as of now, they don't have a local TV deal for next year. and when they do, it's probably going to generate less revenue - we just don't know how much less.

FWIW - about 3 weeks ago, baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred was a guest on the "Marchand and Ourand" Sports Media podcast. they talked a lot about the RSN situation. Manfred said that his goal is for teams to get up to 80% of the revenue they received from any RSN deals that are terminated - but he said they might not get that right away and it may take two or three years to get back to that level. so even in a best-case scenario, Twins are going to lose $10-million or more in revenue, and it could be a lot more than that next season.

so get ready for a lot of "Cheap Pohlads" tweets and posts.

on signing Gray - still hearing a lot of buzz from media types, including Reusse, that the Twins will likely cut their payroll going into next year.

Twins had $55-million in payments from Bally's this season (thanks to the bankruptcy court Judge who ruled that Diamond had to make their payments in full).

as of now, they don't have a local TV deal for next year. and when they do, it's probably going to generate less revenue - we just don't know how much less.

FWIW - about 3 weeks ago, baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred was a guest on the "Marchand and Ourand" Sports Media podcast. they talked a lot about the RSN situation. Manfred said that his goal is for teams to get up to 80% of the revenue they received from any RSN deals that are terminated - but he said they might not get that right away and it may take two or three years to get back to that level. so even in a best-case scenario, Twins are going to lose $10-million or more in revenue, and it could be a lot more than that next season.

so get ready for a lot of "Cheap Pohlads" tweets and posts.
They could lose around $10 million in TV $$ but they should also sell more tickets and corporate sponsorships after this season's success. I can see them cutting from $153 million down to $140-145. There's no excuse to go much lower than that during a win now window.

They could lose around $10 million in TV $$ but they should also sell more tickets and corporate sponsorships after this season's success. I can see them cutting from $153 million down to $140-145. There's no excuse to go much lower than that during a win now window.
Short term, I think it's going to be way more than a $10million hit next year.

But they won't be alone, half the league or more is going to have issues. It's got to impact the overall market somehow.

Listen up: there is no "Paddock."

His name is Paddack.

Top Bottom