All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

I'm more concerned about the hitting philosophy of the organization than any player additions or subtractions. There has to be more focus on putting the ball in play and changing the approach depending on the count
Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!

I think the Twins learned from Lance Lynn/Logan Morrison in 2018 that clubhouse chemistry matters. The 2023 team had good chemistry. That's not a recipe to make it better. Plus I'm not sure he's even that good anymore.
Agree with your take.

I think the Twins learned from Lance Lynn/Logan Morrison in 2018 that clubhouse chemistry matters. The 2023 team had good chemistry. That's not a recipe to make it better. Plus I'm not sure he's even that good anymore.
Where else can you find a pitcher with ace level talent for probably a few million dollars? If he's a cancer, then you DFA him.

With him, you get a top pitcher to replace Gray. If Bauer works, then you have a playoff caliber rotation.

Then, because he was so cheap, you still have money to invest in 1B or OF.

I'm more concerned about the hitting philosophy of the organization than any player additions or subtractions. There has to be more focus on putting the ball in play and changing the approach depending on the count

I don't necessarily disagree as the Twins struck out way too much this year. But do we really know this was a "hitting philosophy" or is it more a function of the players on this team? Joey Gallo, for instance, would strike out at a huge clip regardless of who was the hitting coach or what the philosophy looked like. Luis Arraez would not. It did look like every swing over the last few games had long ball intention. I can't argue with that.

Where else can you find a pitcher with ace level talent for probably a few million dollars? If he's a cancer, then you DFA him.

With him, you get a top pitcher to replace Gray. If Bauer works, then you have a playoff caliber rotation.

And for all we know, he'd fit in just fine in the clubhouse. If anything, hes probably learned a lot from the past couple of years

I don't necessarily disagree as the Twins struck out way too much this year. But do we really know this was a "hitting philosophy" or is it more a function of the players on this team? Joey Gallo, for instance, would strike out at a huge clip regardless of who was the hitting coach or what the philosophy looked like. Luis Arraez would not. It did look like every swing over the last few games had long ball intention. I can't argue with that.
You don't sign Joey Gallo unless you're ok with that philosophy

You don't sign Joey Gallo unless you're ok with that philosophy

That's fair. They may have gotten too enamored with that approach post Bomba Squad year.

Ten or fifteen years ago this board (myself included) would have been complaining about the Twins non-stop obsession with station to station baseball and "productive outs'. Bunting runners over. Hit the ball on the right side of the infield to move a runner over. Many of us would have complained about them not trying to turn on an inside pitch. Now the Twins have migrated to the opposite end of the spectrum and we still aren't happy. But I agree there is probably a middle ground here somewhere. 🤷‍♂️

If he's an ace level talent, what makes you think he will be cheap?

there are a lot of things on the plate for the front office, but I think one of the main questions has to be resolving some of the injury issues.
Buxton - Miranda - Kirilloff.

I would like to see the Twins go outside their own medical staff and get the best doctors available to do outside evaluations. if there is a surgical fix for Buxton, great. If not, they might have to eat that contract (don't know if they had insurance on him). but they can't go with the status quo of playing 75-80 games a year at DH.

Miranda if healthy can be a younger version of Solano - a guy who can play 1st or 3rd and hits right-handed. If Healthy.

Kirilloff - if healthy is your 1B. If he's not healthy, then they need a 1B. I saw an interesting idea from Reusse - move Polanco to 1B. that keeps his bat in the lineup.

but the bottom line is that answers must be found and decisions must be made - because that will influence a lot of the other decisions about the lineup going forward.

That's fair. They may have gotten too enamored with that approach post Bomba Squad year.

Ten or fifteen years ago this board (myself included) would have been complaining about the Twins non-stop obsession with station to station baseball and "productive outs'. Bunting runners over. Hit the ball on the right side of the infield to move a runner over. Many of us would have complained about them not trying to turn on an inside pitch. Now the Twins have migrated to the opposite end of the spectrum and we still aren't happy. But I agree there is probably a middle ground here somewhere. 🤷‍♂️
Pendulum always swings too hard

there are a lot of things on the plate for the front office, but I think one of the main questions has to be resolving some of the injury issues.

I would like to see the Twins go outside their own medical staff and get the best doctors available to do outside evaluations. if there is a surgical fix for Buxton, great. If not, they might have to eat that contract (don't know if they had insurance on him). but they can't go with the status quo of playing 75-80 games a year at DH.

Miranda if healthy can be a younger version of Solano - a guy who can play 1st or 3rd and hits right-handed. If Healthy.

Kirilloff - if healthy is your 1B. If he's not healthy, then they need a 1B. I saw an interesting idea from Reusse - move Polanco to 1B. that keeps his bat in the lineup.

but the bottom line is that answers must be found and decisions must be made - because that will influence a lot of the other decisions about the lineup going forward.
What's wrong with julien at 1st?

I am in favor of trading Kepler. I don't trust the 2nd half and there's really no scenario I want him extended past 2024. if you can get any value, trade him.

Also, they need to consider Brooks Lee as an option in CF.

Buxton you have no choice but to proceed as if he won't be available and then adjust if he is. I'd bring Taylor back for sure with Austin Martin as plan B.

I think Kiriloff will be OK with this shoulder issue, but he's probably never going to be an iron man. Still there are a lot of options at 1B. If they want to add a RH bat at 1B though they can move Kiriloff back to the OF.

Miranda would be good bench player if he is healthy and gets his swing back.

update via Twitter from Twins beat writer Do-Hyoung Park:

Byron Buxton had an arthroscopic procedure to excise the plica in his right knee today, which the Twins hope will alleviate the patellar tendinitis risk and symptoms. Plan remains to get him ready for CF next year.

and now from the Cleveland Clinic --

A plica is a fold in the membrane that protects your knee joint. Most people have four folds in each knee. Sometimes the plica located in the middle of your knee becomes irritated. This is called plica syndrome and it's characterized by pain, swelling and instability

Sounds like Kiriloff's shoulder surgery is more serious than thought too. Labrum repair. 6-8 month recovery. Ouch.

I know it's a long, long shot that he returns anywhere close to that form, but remember that a healthy Buxton that can play CF is an MVP-level player. If he can come back half that good think about what that does to this roster.

Personally i would look at free agency/trade for a 1B that can fill the hole for a year...when Kiriloff is back just keep him in the minors a year and work him back slowly.

I think 1B and a corner OF should be the Twins top two priorities, plus adding another starter if they don't bring back Gray.

Uffda, that means best case Opening Day, but more likely Memorial Day.
It's his non-throwing should so maybe that makes it on the shorter side? In hindsight he certainly should have done it right away. Rest and rehab never works. Especially for the Twins.

I know it's a long, long shot that he returns anywhere close to that form, but remember that a healthy Buxton that can play CF is an MVP-level player. If he can come back half that good think about what that does to this roster.
Don't do that to yourself.

I think 1B and a corner OF should be the Twins top two priorities, plus adding another starter if they don't bring back Gray.
Unless they trade Kepler (which I hope they do) they don't really need more corner OF'ers even without Kiriloff. I'd target Carlos Santana for 1B.

Right now they have Wallner, Kepler, Larnach and Castro all on the 40 man.

So you'd go with Wallner, Buxton, and Larnach/Castro in the OF next season? That's exactly why I'd like to see them get another OF.

I'm fine with Wallner, but Larnach will be 27 and has not improved at all over the last 3 seasons and his numbers are very pedestrian. Maybe we'll get 70 games out of Buxton, and Castro is a good utility player.

For those reasons Kepler needs to stay, or they need to find someone else to replace him.

So you'd go with Wallner, Buxton, and Larnach/Castro in the OF next season? That's exactly why I'd like to see them get another OF.

I'm fine with Wallner, but Larnach will be 27 and has not improved at all over the last 3 seasons and his numbers are very pedestrian. Maybe we'll get 70 games out of Buxton, and Castro is a good utility player.

For those reasons Kepler needs to stay, or they need to find someone else to replace him.
You said another corner OF'er. They have to either bring Taylor back or someone else who can play CF. If they do that and don't trade Kepler, then yes, I'm fine with Wallner, Taylor/Buxton and Kepler. If they do trade Kepler then sure bring in a different corner OF'er since Kiriloff might not be an option. I'd worry about 1B first though.

You said another corner OF'er. They have to either bring Taylor back or someone else who can play CF. If they do that and don't trade Kepler, then yes, I'm fine with Wallner, Taylor/Buxton and Kepler. If they do trade Kepler then sure bring in a different corner OF'er since Kiriloff might not be an option. I'd worry about 1B first though.
We have to account for Brooks Lee incoming.

Someone on Skor north proposed he play CF.

Top Bottom