All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I'm really hopeful KAT returns to reduce Slo Mo's minutes. Naz should not see a slip in minutes. Just been too good

The problem is that doesn't really work lineup wise. KAT's minutes pretty much have to come at the expense of Naz.

The problem is that doesn't really work lineup wise. KAT's minutes pretty much have to come at the expense of Naz.
I disagree. You have a 4 man big man rotation. Rudy has to sit at some point. Would rather have KAT and Naz in there over one of those 2 with Slo Mo

I disagree. You have a 4 man big man rotation. Rudy has to sit at some point. Would rather have KAT and Naz in there over one of those 2 with Slo Mo

Slo Mo can bring the ball up and distribute, Naz, Rudy, and KAT cannot. He's not really comparable to the other 3 nor is he a 'big man'.

The rotations shorten in the playoffs. Rudy and Ant are their most indispensable players and they will be on the court the majority of the time. KAT will likely resume the role he had been in once he's in shape, and Naz will move back to the bench.

It is what it is until they move on from KAT, hopefully this offseason.

Slo Mo can bring the ball up and distribute, Naz, Rudy, and KAT cannot. He's not really comparable to the other 3 nor is he a 'big man'.

The rotations shorten in the playoffs. Rudy and Ant are their most indispensable players and they will be on the court the majority of the time. KAT will likely resume the role he had been in once he's in shape, and Naz will move back to the bench.

I don't see Slo Mo's minutes being reduced much in the playoffs. He is too important defensively to do that. We have seen Finch go with Rudy, Naz and Kat in there at the same time, but I just don't see that happening a whole lot.

so Rudy has no backup?

so Rudy has no backup?

Not a backup that's similar to him. When he's out, they play small ball with Naz. They can and will go with KAT/Naz at times but that front court is a massive defensive liability.

When KAT returns they basically rotate him, Rudy, Naz between the 4/5.

So they'll have 96 minutes between those two positions in the playoffs. Rudy will probably bump up to ~36 min, KAT was at 36 MPG in last years playoffs, 37 the year before, that leaves ~24 for Naz if we see something similar. KAT was ~33 MPG before injury this season and that's where he's been in the regular season the last several years. Your starters always bump up a few mpg in the playoffs.

Even if KAT stays at 33 MPG, or even drops slightly to 30, that leaves Naz with a max of 30, which is still down a few minutes from the 32 he has been averaging without KAT.

My best guess is the playoff minutes will look something like 36 for Rudy, 34 for KAT, 26 for Naz. Either way Naz will get his minutes cut some with KAT's return.

The Athletic says that a second round appearance will make this season a success.

For the teams with postseason hopes, what would make this season a success? For the teams that fell short of the Play-In Tournament, was this season a success in some way? Are there any silver linings? We’ll answer these questions while flawlessly ranking all 30 teams without a single comment to the contrary.

Reminder: The Power Rankings don’t just rank the 30 teams. We divide these teams into tiers, which teams can move in and out of. We currently have the tiers broken into six categories:

Minnesota Timberwolves

What would make this season a success?
A second-round appearance feels like the right answer here. When they gave up that bounty to acquire Rudy Gobert two years ago, I said the Wolves getting 50-plus wins and a second-round appearance in multiple years would mark the most successful stretch in franchise history, because it would. The Wolves are more than good enough on defense to get out of the first round. They have the star power and rotation depth to succeed. Karl-Anthony Towns is coming back, so we’ll see how much that moves an offense that has survived without him. The Wolves simply can’t be happy to just make the playoffs anymore. The standard for success elevates this postseason.

Key Stats

Record 54-24

Offensive Rating
114.5 (17th tied)
Defensive Rating
107.7 (1st)
Net Rating

Denver Nuggets​

What would make this season a success? Another championship. Unless there is a major injury to the starting five, I don’t think just getting back to the NBA Finals is enough. I think they have to win it. That’s the standard they’ve set for themselves. In reality, getting to the Finals and losing to someone like the Celtics isn’t shameful in the slightest. But the Nuggets are now so good and seemingly teflon that repeating as champions should be the goal, barring injury. They’re simply too elite. It’s the gift and curse of what they’ve done the last two seasons.
Key Stats

Record
54-24

Offensive Rating
117.6 (6th tied)
Defensive Rating
112.3 (9th)
Net Rating

Last edited:

The Athletic says that a second round appearance will make this season a success.

What would make this season a success? A second-round appearance feels like the right answer here. When they gave up that bounty to acquire Rudy Gobert two years ago, I said the Wolves getting 50-plus wins and a second-round appearance in multiple years would mark the most successful stretch in franchise history, because it would. The Wolves are more than good enough on defense to get out of the first round. They have the star power and rotation depth to succeed. Karl-Anthony Towns is coming back, so we’ll see how much that moves an offense that has survived without him. The Wolves simply can’t be happy to just make the playoffs anymore. The standard for success elevates this postseason.

Key Stats

Record 54-24

Offensive Rating
114.5 (17th tied)
Defensive Rating
107.7 (1st)
Net Rating
The Mavs, Lakers, Suns, and Pels could beat any team in a series. Kings, Clippers, or Warriors are the teams you want to play.

For the season to be a success, conf championship series if #1 seed. If 2 or 3 seed, the conf semis appearance could be a success

Really bad 1st qtr for the Wolves. They flat out didn't show up. trhey better show up in a hurry.

Really bad 1st qtr for the Wolves. They flat out didn't show up. trhey better show up in a hurry.

No kidding. They were down by 18 after the 1st but cut it to 10 at the half. Reid was ejected after just playing 8 minutes. Then Ant got his 14 technical of the season with 23 seconds left in the half. He did get a foul call but was outraged that they didn't call the first foul in the sequence just the second!

That said aside from Ant and Gobert the starters were pretty useless. Luckily Alexander-Walker and McLaughlin helped cut the margin.

Good quarter for the Wolves. Heading into the 4th up on the Wizards 99-94.

51 for Anthony Edwards. what a night for Edwards. Time to pull your starters now.

Any win they get should be a surprise until they get KAT back. Towns won't be back until the playoff starts and a hurting Edwards refuses to sit and get better. Or maybe a few days rest won't help.

Wow! Another 'surprising' win without KAT!! Edwards is really struggling out there too, if only they would rest him....what are they thinking?!?

The Wolves are now a 'surprising'
15-5 .750 - without KAT, and Rudy for 2 of the losses
41-19 .683 with KAT

And 4-1 since you made this statement.

Wow! Another 'surprising' win without KAT!!

The Wolves are now a 'surprising'
15-5 .750 - without KAT, and Rudy for 2 of the losses
41-19 .683 with KAT

And like every game the result was a complete surprise to you because, like every game you didn't see any of it. 😄

Last edited:

The Timberwolves didn’t necessarily stumble out of the gates Tuesday. It was more like they sat at the start line for quite some time after the ball was tipped.

Minnesota was asleep at the wheel for the first quarter — perhaps its worst frame of the season — falling behind hapless Wizards by as many as 21 points Wednesday.

(Upon further review, Reid's contact to the head of Wizards guard Johnny Davis boxing out underneath the basket was ruled "unnecessary" and "excessive" late in the first half. Reid received a flagrant foul type 2 and was booted from the game.)

The Wolves trailed by 10 at the break. Then water returned to its level.

Minnesota cranked up the intensity in the third quarter and didn’t look back. Anthony Edwards led the charge, finishing with a career-high 51 points as the Wolves downed Washington 130-121 at Target Center.

The unfortunate part for Minnesota was that its haphazard start meant it had to play so much meaningful basketball down to the bitter end. Edwards and Rudy Gobert each played 38 minutes. That’s not ideal when the Wolves play in Denver on Wednesday in the game that will likely determine who gets the No. 1 seed in the West playoffs.

Denver did also play on Tuesday in Utah. So both squads will play in the game of the regular season on zero days rest.

Edwards’ performance Tuesday was a continuation of his recent efforts to play hard against cellar dwellers — something he failed to do in the past.

And like every game the result was a complete surprise to you because, like every game you didn't see any of it. 😄

I watch almost every game, which is why winning without KAT is not a surprise to me. That's only a surprise to you, which means you must not watch any games.

I watch almost every game, which is why winning without KAT is not a surprise to me. That's only a surprise to you, which means you must not watch any games.

Yeah, you're a long time Timberwolves fan who is never worried that they are gonna lose. You're lying about one of those things too.

You very seldom watch the games. Otherwise you'd be on here during the game rather than just showing-up after the game to troll. Heck even hours later do you ever talk about what you saw in the game besides the score?

You're in luck though tonight. The Wolves are out in Denver, who have Murray back, with a well rested Naz Reid. The game is on ESPN. Great opportunity to tell us live how they are doing.

Bye. Enjoy whatever you do during the day. Just gonna wait until after game to hear from you again.

Last edited:

The Wolves, Golden State, Denver, Dallas, New Orleans and the Clippers won last night. Only the Lakers and Phoenix lost. The 10 teams who will still be playing next week have been established. Who plays who might not be set until Sunday.

Besides the Denver/Timberwolves match-up, OKC gets San Antonio again, Phoenix gets the Clippers again and Dallas is at Miami. Means there will be some movement in the Western Conference by the end of the night.

The Wolves, Golden State, Denver, Dallas, New Orleans and the Clippers won last night. Only the Lakers and Phoenix lost. The 10 teams who will still be playing next week have been established. Who plays who might not be set until Sunday.

Besides the Denver/Timberwolves match-up, OKC gets San Antonio again, Phoenix gets the Clippers again and Dallas is at Miami. Means there will be some movement in the Western Conference by the end of the night.

Win tonight and wolves pretty much lock in #1. Magic number would be 1.

Lose tonight, theyre probably out on the #1 seed, but magic number would be 2 for the #2 seed.

Do you think Gordon (if hes out again) helps wolves or hurts? Cant stick Rudy on him anymore. You might be able to try him on Braun (who's been starting) but unsure of possible success

Win tonight and wolves pretty much lock in #1. Magic number would be 1.

Lose tonight, theyre probably out on the #1 seed, but magic number would be 2 for the #2 seed.

Do you think Gordon (if hes out again) helps wolves or hurts? Cant stick Rudy on him anymore. You might be able to try him on Braun (who's been starting) but unsure of possible success

Gordon is listed as out for tonight's game. That should help the Wolves, but getting Murray back counters that. Think that it will be Braun some of the time, but more likely Porter. There will, or should be, a whole lot of switching to keep Rudy close to the basket. Just happy that Rudy didn't get that 2nd technical last night.

On your first note, who do you think the Wolves will end-up playing after the West shakes-out?

Gordon is listed as out for tonight's game. That should help the Wolves, but getting Murray back counters that. Think that it will be Braun some of the time, but more likely Porter. There will, or should be, a whole lot of switching to keep Rudy close to the basket. Just happy that Rudy didn't get that 2nd technical last night.

On your first note, who do you think the Wolves will end-up playing after the West shakes-out?
I think Wolves get #2 seed, end up playing Lakers.

I think Suns and Kings are eliminated in play-in

nugs vs warriors
wolves vs lakers
okc vs pels
clips vs mavs

I think Wolves get #2 seed, end up playing Lakers.

I think Suns and Kings are eliminated in play-in

nugs vs warriors
wolves vs lakers
okc vs pels
clips vs mavs
If the LAL and GSW finish 9 and 10, only one of them can advance. I hope we play the Lakers because then we will actually get some coverage by the media. 😐

Top Bottom