All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Why is 9 ideal? Look at the playoff teams that made a deep run last year. They pretty much all had 8 man rotations, but the top 6 logged the majority of the minutes, and 7 and 8 saw a much more limited role.
Worst case scenario, it's one extra guy that might have a hot hand on any given night.

As someone who has been following this T-Wolves season purely via box scores, post-game accounts, and the commentators on this board (I am truly box score), a few things seem evident: their team play and crispness have fallen off recently; they’ve had a turnover problem all season; and if Conley misses time, they are in trouble.

Which makes the argument advanced by GWG befuddling and hard to see logic within. I think the vast majority of arguments here are not about trading a rotation player, much less a starter, for backcourt help-its players at the fringes and #2 draft picks that are being bandied about and are should garner a Monte Morris type via trade.

For the sake of argument, let’s say they trade for Morris and he provides exactly what Jackson did for the Nuggets last season; about 20 MPG in the regular season and out of the rotation in the playoffs. With just over half the season completed and a 36 year old PG that’s so central to any post-season success, isn’t having a competent option who values the ball as straightforward logical as it gets? On the micro, let’s say Conley misses a few games to injury or finds himself in foul trouble in a playoff game-wouldn’t it be nice to bring in a savvy veteran to guide the team rather than ask Ant to learn on the job and either give up a few games in the standings or the pressurized environment of the playoffs.

I’m sure I am not the only one who looks at the top of the Western standings and sees how being the #1 seed is so desirable, assuming the Clippers stay at #4 (what are the chances their veterans are all healthy come May and/or Harden finally delivers?) Contrary to the claim made that we’re a young team-Ant and McDaniels, yes but Conley and Gobert are north of age 30 and KAT is in season 9 of his NBA career-it feels like the window for this particular collection is tight. Look back one year or go back to Sam Cassell’s hip injury or all the way back to ‘97 and Eric Harris’ separated shoulder and we see how mercurial and fragile magical seasons can be. If you can obtain some insurance at minimal cost why wouldn’t you do so?

As someone who has been following this T-Wolves season purely via box scores, post-game accounts, and the commentators on this board (I am truly box score), a few things seem evident: their team play and crispness have fallen off recently; they’ve had a turnover problem all season; and if Conley misses time, they are in trouble.

Which makes the argument advanced by GWG befuddling and hard to see logic within. I think the vast majority of arguments here are not about trading a rotation player, much less a starter, for backcourt help-its players at the fringes and #2 draft picks that are being bandied about and are should garner a Monte Morris type via trade.

For the sake of argument, let’s say they trade for Morris and he provides exactly what Jackson did for the Nuggets last season; about 20 MPG in the regular season and out of the rotation in the playoffs. With just over half the season completed and a 36 year old PG that’s so central to any post-season success, isn’t having a competent option who values the ball as straightforward logical as it gets? On the micro, let’s say Conley misses a few games to injury or finds himself in foul trouble in a playoff game-wouldn’t it be nice to bring in a savvy veteran to guide the team rather than ask Ant to learn on the job and either give up a few games in the standings or the pressurized environment of the playoffs.

I’m sure I am not the only one who looks at the top of the Western standings and sees how being the #1 seed is so desirable, assuming the Clippers stay at #4 (what are the chances their veterans are all healthy come May and/or Harden finally delivers?) Contrary to the claim made that we’re a young team-Ant and McDaniels, yes but Conley and Gobert are north of age 30 and KAT is in season 9 of his NBA career-it feels like the window for this particular collection is tight. Look back one year or go back to Sam Cassell’s hip injury or all the way back to ‘97 and Eric Harris’ separated shoulder and we see how mercurial and fragile magical seasons can be. If you can obtain some insurance at minimal cost why wouldn’t you do so?

So you and others are saying we have to make a trade to get a better backup PG, yet also mostly agreeing with me that the same PG won't play much in the playoffs.

Then how does a new backup PG solve Ant and Kats TO problem, which is the problem most everyone is worried about, when Conley isn't solving that problem, and those 2 are averaging about the same number of TO's as they did last year? The Wolves overall are actually averaging slightly fewer TOs than they did last season.

Ant is the Wolves 2nd point guard, and he'll play 40 mpg in the playoffs. He has to clean up the dumb TO's himself.

So you and others are saying we have to make a trade to get a better backup PG, yet also mostly agreeing with me that the same PG won't play much in the playoffs.

Then how does a new backup PG solve Ant and Kats TO problem, which is the problem most everyone is worried about, when Conley isn't solving that problem, and those 2 are averaging about the same number of TO's as they did last year? The Wolves overall are actually averaging slightly fewer TOs than they did last season.

Ant is the Wolves 2nd point guard, and he'll play 40 mpg in the playoffs. He has to clean up the dumb TO's himself.
If we get Morris, he will play in the playoffs. Zero chance he wouldn't if he plays well before that. Morris is a guy they will want to resign.

If we get Morris, he will play in the playoffs. Zero chance he wouldn't if he plays well before that. Morris is a guy they will want to resign.

Who says we're getting Morris other than just some internet rumor anyone can throw out there?

Jmac isn't playing meaningful minutes in the playoffs. He's basically the 3rd to 4th string PG who's been playing a little more in the doldrums of the NBA season because Conley has been beat up and they're saving his legs for the playoffs.

Ant and Conley are your 2 PGs in the playoffs with Slo Mo as a point forward off the bench, and NAW as depth behind that.

Bringing in a guy that will take the ball, and shots away from Ant in the playoffs doesn't make any sense.

Philly playing the Nuggets out in Denver now. It's on ABC. Looks like the 76ers are gonna say "that loss shouldn't even count".

i
Philadelphia 76ers

NAME, POSSTATUSEST. RETURN DATE
Joel Embiid
C
OUTJan 29
Mo Bamba
C
OUTJan 29
Tobias Harris
PF
OUTJan 29
Tyrese Maxey
PG
OUTJan 29
Kenneth Lofton Jr.
F
OUTJan 29

Edwards slams one down at 4 minutes of the 1st quarter! Wow!

The whole team picked it up after Towns went to the bench. They played like they are playing a 9-36 team and just want to crush them.

Good.

Edit: Not doing as well in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Maybe Peterson can mention one more time how Jones is shooting better now that he’s starting. Might have missed it the first 5 times.

Oh, he just did.

It looks like ANT pauses in mid-air!

Howl Wolves!!

The team that "doesn't need any help" just lost to the Spurs 113 - 112.

You know for a team that too often doesn't like to pass the ball around they suddenly become pass happy when the clock is about to run out. At the end of the 3rd and the end of the game they didn't get a shot off until the clock expired.

Last edited:

There’s a chance we may not even host a 1st round playoff game if we don’t figure this slump out quickly.

Howl Wolves!!

Woof. Finch ain’t gonna be happy after this one either.
In the 4th Quarter, we had Rudy, Naz, Kyle, Milton and McGlaughlin on the court together in crunchtime and that is when the entire game changed.

Can we trade Finch for Pops?

Woof. Finch ain’t gonna be happy after this one either.
I'm starting to think Finch sucks. We lose like this over and over.

That lineup to start the fourth quarter was criminal.

There are several red flags going up everywhere.

In the 4th Quarter, we had Rudy, Naz, Kyle, Milton and McGlaughlin on the court together in crunchtime and that is when the entire game changed.

Can we trade Finch for Pops?

I said the other day maybe finch needs to go. Trouble is I am not sure who is in charge of the team. Is it A-Roid and whoever or is it still Taylor. The way things are going they are gonna “waste” one of their best seasons ever.

Top Bottom