All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Pretty sure ant is brutal in back to backs
May have been more true in past seasons when Edwards thought he had to carry the team in every game and prove he was "All Star" worthy.

This season looks like it's happened twice. He was good in both the last time and awful in the 2nd game the first time. Think that was in the "Edwards should have been sat to heal" period.

KAT can be really difficult to watch at times.

He is great to watch when he is a not complaining about every call, he is passing to teammates, etc. The team will go as far as KAT can be a team player.

He is great to watch when he is a not complaining about every call, he is passing to teammates, etc. The team will go as far as KAT can be a team player.
If KAT got the same calls driving to the rim as LeFraud, AD, Embiid and Luka, he shoot 8-10 more free throws per game. Instead, he's a turnover machine or offensive foul waiting to happen.

The dude is shooting 42% from 3. He needs to be averaging at least 7-8 attempts per game rather than trying to force it inside with the dribble.

If KAT got the same calls driving to the rim as LeFraud, AD, Embiid and Luka, he shoot 8-10 more free throws per game. Instead, he's a turnover machine or offensive foul waiting to happen.

The dude is shooting 42% from 3. He needs to be averaging at least 7-8 attempts per game rather than trying to force it inside with the dribble.

You, me, Finch etc. would love to see that happen. Problem is defenses know that too. Despite what Jim Peterson keeps screaming, Towns needs to try and drive to the basket once and awhile to keep-the defenses honest. Otherwise they sag on the other shooters and concentrate on Towns on the outside. Forcing him to give the ball up or put it on the floor. That only changes when the other players hit their outside shots.

From what we've seen only when the other players step-up and hit their shots does that change.

Of course then people complain that KAT isn't scoring enough.;)

Yep. He's been a hell of a team player this year. That's why they are 26-10. As for not complaining as much this season, he has certainly done that. It's helped him some on the Offensive end. Took too long, but his stubbornness in refusing to put out that arm when he goes basket has helped him stay in games.

But he still isn't getting the calls he deserves when he drives to the basket. Must be doubly frustrating when he doesn't get calls when he slapped and pushing by the basket while the guys Slim Tubby mentioned get rewarded all the time for touch, or not even touch, fouls.

Shutting up hasn't helped him at all with that.

Watch the 4th Quarter of last night's Toronto/Lakers game. I did. Referee bias is definitely a thing.

Like we've said in this thread considering the circumstances, we can say that the Wolves don't have much of a chance in Boston tonight.

Neither the players or Finch can say that. At least directly. Indirectly? Finch is benching a healthy Conley for the first time since they got him a year ago. It'll be interesting to see if Gobert plays also.

i
Minnesota Timberwolves

NAME, POSSTATUSEST. RETURN DATE
Mike Conley
PG
OUTJan 12
Jan 10: Gobert (hip) has been ruled out for Wednesday's game against the Celtics, Alan Horton of the Timberwolves Radio Network reports.OUT

i
Boston Celtics

NAME, POSSTATUSEST. RETURN DATE
Kristaps Porzingis
C
OUTJan 11

Last edited:

Well so far so good. It's Boston 54 Wolves 53 at the Half.

The stats are about as even as the score is. The only glaring differences is the Celtics are shooting 3's at a better clip and the Wolves are out rebounding them,

Wolves 85 Celtics 79 going into the 4th.

With 3 seconds left in the 3rd, Edwards shot his first free throws of the game.

Not surprised that Alexander-Walker committed that idiotic offensive foul. Very surprised that Tatum didn't get a call at the buzzer.

Not to overtime.

Gawd, I'm pissed about losing another game we had in hand.

Shoot! Did not want to go to the hole at all in OT
OT doesn't really matter.

We were up like 9 with something like 3 1/2 minutes to go. We melted down so bad I could cry. When you melt at the end of regulation, it rarely goes well in overtime.

We were up on Dallas the other night 106-100 with not much time left.

It's obvious why this happens, but I won't say.

Jaden McDaniels may be the dumbest player in the NBA.
2-8, 5 points, 1 flipping rebound, and he fouls out.

This guy f------g sucks and just kills us. They weren't even guarding him in the second half. Half his dumb fouls tonight put them on the line.

He is supposed to be all world defense........whoever he guarded yet again was on fire. Brown or Tatum was on fire all night.

Last edited:

Thought the Wolves had no chance to beat Boston in Boston, without Conley and Gobert and with having to fly in from Orlando today for the game. They didn't beat them. They lost to the Celtics 127-120 in overtime.

Problem is I got my hopes up in those 3rd and 4th Quarters.

They had no business getting that close.:sick:

2-8, 5 points, 1 flipping rebound, and he fouls out.

This guy f------g sucks and just kills us. They weren't even guarding him in the second half. Half his dumb fouls tonight put them on the line.

He is supposed to be all world defense........whoever he guarded yet again was on fire. Brown or Tatum was on fire all night.
Box score is seeing red tonight.

I'm going to go all "Silver Lining" on this collapse. Finch mentioned in his press conference that Ant specifically had four turnovers in OT. That was reason #1 for the loss. It wasn't throwing him under the bus but rather acknowledging that too much ISO down the stretch was happening.

This could be a good loss. If they learn from it.

there was a lot of 1 on 1 ball from our offense the second half.

Thing is until there was 3:24 left in the 4th it worked. Problem was without Conley and Gobert who should Towns and Edwards throw the ball to? McDaniels? Brown? Anderson ended-up with a good shooting night but honestly that was pretty surprising.

Once those two guys come back, if they keep going 1 on 1 then there's a problem.

Thing is until there was 3:24 left in the 4th it worked. Problem was without Conley and Gobert who should Towns and Edwards throw the ball to? McDaniels? Brown? Anderson ended-up with a good shooting night but honestly that was pretty surprising.

Once those two guys come back, if they keep going 1 on 1 then there's a problem.
Jim Pete mentioned that Ant needs a PG out there for moments like that. I agree. I hope they go out and get another true PG at the deadline, so we don't have point-Ant...point-NAW...point-Kyle, etc..

I'm going to go all "Silver Lining" on this collapse. Finch mentioned in his press conference that Ant specifically had four turnovers in OT. That was reason #1 for the loss. It wasn't throwing him under the bus but rather acknowledging that too much ISO down the stretch was happening.

This could be a good loss. If they learn from it.

It was even more idiotic because Edwards only shot 6-3's in 46(!) minutes and was given a grand total of 4 free throws. 4! What's the point in driving to the basket, getting hacked, and not getting rewarded with a free throw. Edwards had 9 pts from three and hit all four of those free throws.

Then maybe he did get most of the other 16 at the basket? Not gonna look but kinda doubt it.

Jim Pete mentioned that Ant needs a PG out there for moments like that. I agree. I hope they go out and get another true PG at the deadline, so we don't have point-Ant...point-NAW...point-Kyle, etc..

Completely agree with both of you. They desperately need another PG that can distribute and shoot a 3.

Kinda think that's why Finch gives so much time to McDaniels and Anderson. He's trying to show his confidence in them so he can get somebody, anybody to unload those stiffs on.

Last edited:

Completely agree with both of you. They desperately another PG that can distribute and shoot a 3.

Kinda think that's why Finch gives so much time to McDaniels and Anderson. He's trying to show his confidence in them so he can get somebody, anybody to unload those stiffs on.
The problem in crunch time is that with Jaden, he can't dribble or create. Lately, they aren't even guarding him. Conley can run the offense but isn't someone who is going to create a shot for himsef, either. Neither is Gobert.

They gang up on Ant and we are kind of screwed. I fear it's going to get us in the playoffs. We need another player on the court who is a scorer in crunch time. No ideas how you get one.

The problem in crunch time is that with Jaden, he can't dribble or create. Lately, they aren't even guarding him. Conley can run the offense but isn't someone who is going to create a shot for himsef, either. Neither is Gobert.

They gang up on Ant and we are kind of screwed. I fear it's going to get us in the playoffs. We need another player on the court who is a scorer in crunch time. No ideas how you get one.
They can only offer pick swaps at this point and no one will want our #1 this year. So....we are left with trading Anderson (or Milton in a lesser deal) plus some second-rounders. That won't get us much, but we could get a legit backup PG. Trading Anderson makes the PF position really thin though.

Not sure we can pry Tyus Jones from Wash. for the above mentioned, but he is shooting over 40% from the 3 this year. I'd think that would help with crunch time. Jones, Conley, Ant, Towns and Rudy/Naz out there at the end looks pretty good to me.

They can only offer pick swaps at this point and no one will want our #1 this year. So....we are left with trading Anderson (or Milton in a lesser deal) plus some second-rounders. That won't get us much, but we could get a legit backup PG. Trading Anderson makes the PF position really thin though.

Not sure we can pry Tyus Jones from Wash. for the above mentioned, but he is shooting over 40% from the 3 this year. I'd think that would help with crunch time. Jones, Conley, Ant, Towns and Rudy/Naz out there at the end looks pretty good to me.
Need legit shooting

Top Bottom