All Things 2022 Winter Olympics

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
The games are startin' soon. Here are a few of the Minnesotans headed to the Olympics:
  • All-round great guy John Shuster is heading back for his fifth Olympics to defend his gold in curling (I used to hang out with John back in the days when I did some tradeshows selling products for people with disabilities -- John's father-in-law had a line of wheelchair products).
  • Paula Moltzan of Buck Hill fame will be skiing in Alpine slalom.
  • And of course, Jessie Diggins will be back to defend her gold in cross country skiing. If you missed it four years ago, here's her finish (with the call being made by Minnesota's own Chad Salmela).

Last edited:

The speculation is that the 3 week break is going to be used for make up games.

Looks like the NHL is going to pass on heading to Beijing.

That just made Judd Zulgad's day....

Is hockey just not happening at the Olympics or will everyone adjust their rosters?

My hunch is it will go on with rosters adjusting. Not sure if they would dip into NCAA talent. Too soon to tell, but it's getting late quickly.

My hunch is it will go on with rosters adjusting. Not sure if they would dip into NCAA talent. Too soon to tell, but it's getting late quickly.
They've got some lists of players, from what I gather there's a list of a good 50 players for some countries and then behind that there's an even deeper list of another 100, but whooof, there will be a talent drop-off.

Very, very glad the NHL is passing. The right decision. Too much uncertain, and the killer was going to be, players that were to miss games from COVID while there weren't going to get paid. No bueno.

With the rate it's spreading you have to wonder if the entire games doesn't get postponed.

sounds like the US Olympic Hockey team will be non-NHL players - so Americans who are playing in other countries, guys currently playing minor-league hockey, plus a mix of some college players.

ESPN has a long article listing possible candidates. Most of them I had never heard of, except for a couple of guys who are playing for the Gophers.

Ironically, one name I saw as a possibility for the Canadian team is former Wild goalie Devin Dubnyk.

Beijing Olympics Costs Reportedly 10 Times Higher Than Projected​

The Beijing Olympics could have been a logical ingredient in China’s recipe to grow its sports industry to $773 billion by 2025, but according to a new report, the Winter Games may have provided a much greater financial burden than originally thought.

The 2022 Winter Olympics could cost China more than $38.5 billion, according to Business Insider — 10 times higher than the nation’s previous estimate of $3.9 billion.

• China reportedly didn’t count “dozens” of expenses, as many were classified as “capital improvements” rather than official costs.
  • For example, a $9.2 billion bullet train was apparently not counted.
  • The nation also allegedly neglected to include the costs of safety measures for its notoriously strict COVID-19 bubble, as well as environmental costs.
This estimate would easily top that of several other Olympic Games. Tokyo paid about $13.6 billion for the 2020 Summer Games. London spent about $15 billion in 2012. Though it would still rank lower than the price tag for China’s Summer Games in 2008, which cost a whopping $42 billion.

Go USA!!

The Opening Ceremonies are history.

It's time to start talking Olympics,

Per Axios Sports:

The Winter Olympics kicked off Friday with an Opening Ceremony that drew just 16 million viewers, down a whopping 43% from the 2018 Games, Axios' Jeff Tracy writes.

ICYMI: Here's what's happening in Beijing...

• Medal count: The Russian Olympic Committee has the most medals (six), and the Netherlands, Norway, Canada, Japan, Italy and Austria each have four. The U.S. has three. Full medal tracker.
  • A fall and a crash: Nina O'Brien, the top U.S. woman in the giant slalom after Mikaela Shiffrin's shocking fall, crashed near the finish line and had to be stretchered off.
  • Make it five: Dutch speedskater Ireen Wüst won gold in the women's 1,500-meter race, becoming the first person to win individual gold at five Olympics.
  • Brutal weather: Heavy winds delayed men's downhill skiing, and temperatures have dropped lower than most athletes expected. "They're life-changing," one snowboarder said of her toe warmers.
  • Figure skating stars: American Nathan Chen recorded the second-highest short program score ever, while Russia's Kamila Valieva, 15, became the first woman to land a quad axel at the Olympics.
Go USA!!

Hockey and men's curling get going later this week!

Jesse Diggins picking up a bronze today. On top of being a great skier she just seems like a a terrific person. A friend of mine is her coach and has mentioned that she is always quick to give credit to everyone who helps her.

Last edited:

Poor Shiffrin. She can't handle the pressure this year.

So apparently she tested positive back in December? Why wasn’t she just not allowed to compete at all?

Have not watched a shred of the Olympics so far, and probably won't, unless I can find out ahead of time when Yulia Kanakina is competing. That's worth the price of admission right there.

Have really enjoyed the olympics. The athletes who succeed about jump out of their skin with joy while those who fail are totally devastated.

In this cynical, money driven world it is wonderful that the purity of pride in country can still be so meaningful. Winners and losers of sunday's super bowl won't be nearly as emotionally affected by the result as these olympians are affected by their outcomes. ( I get that a few make mucho dinero thru advertising.)

Olympic drama is unmatched.

Last edited:

Have not watched a shred of the Olympics so far, and probably won't, unless I can find out ahead of time when Yulia Kanakina is competing. That's worth the price of admission right there.
Because she's a great athlete, right?

1644606848267.png

Top Bottom