All Things 2022 Winter Olympics

I'm watching the ski jumping competition and they showed a clip of one of the Norwegian jumpers in a horrific crash last year. As they're showing it one of the announcer says "no one wants to see that"

Then they showed it twice more.

Have to say I was surprised at how hard weir and lapinski went after valiyeva. Not that I disagreed.

The third voice in the booth tried to bring up a few times that valiyeva is only 15 so that needs to be considered, but it was obvious weir and lapinski were seething.

Last edited:

Have to say I was surprised at how hard weir and lapinski went after valiyeva. Not that I disagreed.

The third voice in the booth tried to bring up a few times that valiyeva is only 15 so that needs to be considered, but it was obvious weir and lapinski were seething.
I think most of the anger is towards those that are still allowing her to compete. Not her.

I think most of the anger is towards those that are still allowing her to compete. Not her.

Yes, those allowing her to compete and also russian olympic officials. I don't know if u caught the interview with lapinski and weir right before the event last night, but they both unloaded with both barrels. Guess I expected them to try to be at least somewhat diplomatic.

Last edited:

Yes, those allowing her to compete and also russian olympic officials. I don't know if u caught the interview with lapinski and weir right before the event last night, but they both unloaded with both barrels. Guess I expected them to try to be somewhat diplomatic.
I think it's deserved. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Feel bad for Valieva though. None of it is her fault. But I'm sure there is a lot of hate for her right now.

I think it's deserved. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Feel bad for Valieva though. None of it is her fault. But I'm sure there is a lot of hate for her right now.

Yeah, I mostly feel bad for whoever finishes 4th. Also for the other two medal winners who won't get a medal ceremony.

I have not watched 1 minute of the Olympics. Not saying that with any pride or judgement on those who enjoy the whole thing, just doesn't interest me.

It used to me my favorite event but I think I can trace my lack of interest back to '88. Ben Johnson & the boxing judges travesty jaded me into a downward spiral for enthusiasm.

I meant to watch US vs Slovakia in hockey just to keep tabs on the Gophers, but I forgot.

I have not watched 1 minute of the Olympics. Not saying that with any pride or judgement on those who enjoy the whole thing, just doesn't interest me.

It used to me my favorite event but I think I can trace my lack of interest back to '88. Ben Johnson & the boxing judges travesty jaded me into a downward spiral for enthusiasm.

I meant to watch US vs Slovakia in hockey just to keep tabs on the Gophers, but I forgot.
You missed the best Winter Olympics of my lifetime.

After all valiyeva has been thru due to the positive drug test, when she came off the ice in tears last night her coach immediately grilled her for a reason why she failed.

Valiyeva, a 15 year old and arguably already the greatest all-time female skater, was a wreck on the ice. She kept falling and stumbling.

Hard to watch. Her life has been forever changed. Russian officials need to pay a dear price for what they have gone to this girl, but nothing will happen.

Last edited:

After all valiyeva has been thru due to the positive drug test, when she came off the ice in tears last night her coach immediately grilled her for a reason why she failed.

Valiyeva, a 15 year old and arguably already the greatest all-time female skater, was a wreck on the ice. She kept falling and stumbling.

Hard to watch. Her life has been forever changed. Russian officials need to pay a dear price for what they have gone to this girl, but nothing will happen.
The whole thing was hard to watch. The gold medalist (Russian) getting no attention from anyone, just sitting there by herself. The silver medalist (also Russian) crying hysterically. I honestly felt bad for all of them. The adults failed them big time. Russia shouldn't be competing anyways.

The whole thing was hard to watch. The gold medalist (Russian) getting no attention from anyone, just sitting there by herself. The silver medalist (also Russian) crying hysterically. I honestly felt bad for all of them. The adults failed them big time. Russia shouldn't be competing anyways.

Yeah valiyeva and also peng shuai experiencing what it is like to live under tyranny. Big picture, hard for americans to even imagine what it would like to live in russia or china.

Yeah valiyeva and also peng shuai experiencing what it is like to live under tyranny. Big picture, hard for americans to even imagine what it would like to live in russia or china.
Before we get too high on our horse, we may want to turn that mirror on ourselves. Look at how US Track & Field or Gymnastics run their athletes. Many US track & field medalists were later known to be doping. The difference is that the ROC is state-sponsored, so the whole country takes the blame. The USOC is corporate-sponsored, so individuals are blamed rather than the whole team. To think Russians dope any more than Americans seems pretty naive to me. Now, the question should be, who is watching those Norwegians!?

I didn't watch the Olympics this year as much as prior years. But I have to say, Johnny Weir is a delightful commentator.

Before we get too high on our horse, we may want to turn that mirror on ourselves. Look at how US Track & Field or Gymnastics run their athletes. Many US track & field medalists were later known to be doping. The difference is that the ROC is state-sponsored, so the whole country takes the blame. The USOC is corporate-sponsored, so individuals are blamed rather than the whole team. To think Russians dope any more than Americans seems pretty naive to me. Now, the question should be, who is watching those Norwegians!?

Nassar is in jail for 40+ years and the karolyis will never coach again. Russia couldn't care less about their cheaters.

Nassar is in jail for 40+ years and the karolyis will never coach again. Russia couldn't care less about their cheaters.
But that's kind of my point. USOC throws a couple people under the bus and washes its hands of it.

I didn't watch a single minute of it either. Can't remember the last time I even thought about not watching the Olympics. Crazy...

But that's kind of my point. USOC throws a couple people under the bus and washes its hands of it.

Oh, that could be. Still a canyon sized difference between russia and america regarding handling of doping.

I didn't watch the Olympics this year as much as prior years. But I have to say, Johnny Weir is a delightful commentator.

Wonder if weir and lapinski know anything about football? Definitely nfl broadcasting could use an upgrade. 🙂

Top Bottom