All Things 2022 Winter Olympics

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
The games are startin' soon. Here are a few of the Minnesotans headed to the Olympics:
  • All-round great guy John Shuster is heading back for his fifth Olympics to defend his gold in curling (I used to hang out with John back in the days when I did some tradeshows selling products for people with disabilities -- John's father-in-law had a line of wheelchair products).
  • Paula Moltzan of Buck Hill fame will be skiing in Alpine slalom.
  • And of course, Jessie Diggins will be back to defend her gold in cross country skiing. If you missed it four years ago, here's her finish (with the call being made by Minnesota's own Chad Salmela).

Last edited:

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
The speculation is that the 3 week break is going to be used for make up games.

howeda7

Reaction score
Looks like the NHL is going to pass on heading to Beijing.

That just made Judd Zulgad's day....

Is hockey just not happening at the Olympics or will everyone adjust their rosters?

Ope3

Reaction score
My hunch is it will go on with rosters adjusting. Not sure if they would dip into NCAA talent. Too soon to tell, but it's getting late quickly.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
My hunch is it will go on with rosters adjusting. Not sure if they would dip into NCAA talent. Too soon to tell, but it's getting late quickly.
They've got some lists of players, from what I gather there's a list of a good 50 players for some countries and then behind that there's an even deeper list of another 100, but whooof, there will be a talent drop-off.

Very, very glad the NHL is passing. The right decision. Too much uncertain, and the killer was going to be, players that were to miss games from COVID while there weren't going to get paid. No bueno.

howeda7

Reaction score
With the rate it's spreading you have to wonder if the entire games doesn't get postponed.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
sounds like the US Olympic Hockey team will be non-NHL players - so Americans who are playing in other countries, guys currently playing minor-league hockey, plus a mix of some college players.

ESPN has a long article listing possible candidates. Most of them I had never heard of, except for a couple of guys who are playing for the Gophers.

Ironically, one name I saw as a possibility for the Canadian team is former Wild goalie Devin Dubnyk.

Top Bottom