All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Next year appears to be a fiasco with the salary cap. Many fans would like to dump their season tickets, but after investing so much money to pay for their seat in the first place, they are reluctant to do so. Timberwolves use to be the laughingstock, now it's the Vikings. Feel kind of bad though for the Wilf family. Would be curious as to where they get their advice from.

The Vikings aren't even close to a laughing stock. People are happy that the T-Wolves are currently competitive and a .500 team. The Vikings are firing their coach and GM after having a .556 winning percentage over 8 years together.

Give me Pederson, Flores or Leftwich (but wait until Pittsburgh gets blown out at KC and call on Tomlin too).

If they go with another defense guy, then it's gotta be someone that understands he can't micro-manage the offense.
I don't care about defense or offense. Get a good leader who will let his coordinators do their job. The Chargers new coach is a former DC but it he's letting Herbert do his thing.

Next year appears to be a fiasco with the salary cap. Many fans would like to dump their season tickets, but after investing so much money to pay for their seat in the first place, they are reluctant to do so. Timberwolves use to be the laughingstock, now it's the Vikings. Feel kind of bad though for the Wilf family. Would be curious as to where they get their advice from.
The Wolves have been a joke for 20 years and most of their entire existance. The Vikings just went 8-9. They're hardly a laughingstock.

What if the Raiders beat Cincinnati? The pressure to keep the interim coach is going to be high.

Get a HC who values solid O and D line play. Trade #33 Cook and get a solid C and or RG. There are numerous RB's that can function behind a strong OL. Cousins is not the problem and is effective given the time to unload.

Get Hunter back and maybe Griffen and the DL will be OK. Must find some good DB's to go along with Peterson.

Drafting OL and secondary must be the focus.

Get a HC who values solid O and D line play. Trade #33 Cook and get a solid C and or RG. There are numerous RB's that can function behind a strong OL. Cousins is not the problem and is effective given the time to unload.

Get Hunter back and maybe Griffen and the DL will be OK. Must find some good DB's to go along with Peterson.

Drafting OL and secondary must be the focus.
I agree on trading Cook (and Cousins). Those two moves will give them a good amount of cap room. They should bring Hunter back if he will accept a reasonable contract re-structure. I think Griffen is done in the NFL or at least as a Viking...

My suspicions are Flores would be a gift. Similar thoughta on Tomlin.
Unless there's something off the field we don't know about, the Dolphins firing him is pretty inexplicable. The only thing I can figure is that they made up their mind when they were 1-7 and won't change it.

No matter what locals say about Spielman, we won’t do better. We may find comparable.

Spielman’s mistake is keeping mike zimmer. Should have fired him a few years ago.

No matter what locals say about Spielman, we won’t do better. We may find comparable.

Spielman’s mistake is keeping mike zimmer. Should have fired him a few years ago.
Spielman should have drafted better at the non-fantasy football positions.
He would have had more success.

It was time for Rick to end after 15+ years.

If we cannot do better than Spielman, then we are in big trouble.

How many CB's did we draft and then figure out they were no good? How many kickers did we go through and treat them like crap? How many draft picks did we waste, just to hoard more 7th round picks? C'mon man!

Give me Pederson, Flores or Leftwich (but wait until Pittsburgh gets blown out at KC and call on Tomlin too).
Is there really any chatter at all about Tomlin leaving Pittsburgh?

Just feels like he is so entrenched with the ownership, who don't remove coaches based on whichever way the wind is blowing. With that loyal fanbase I think that's the best gig there is in the NFL.

Amazing coaching job that he was able to circle the wagons and get the Steelers into the post-season this year. Plug and play another QB to replace Big Ben, I think Tomlin would be crazy to go anywhere else.

Nah. He can't draft very well.

CBS Sports mock draft:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/MIN/minnesota-vikings/
Andrew Booth Jr. CB
CLEMSON • JR • 6'0" / 200 LBS

PROJECTED TEAM​

Minnesota

PROSPECT RNK​

20th

POSITION RNK​

3rd

The team already parted ways with 2020 first-rounder Jeff Gladney, and Patrick Peterson is on a one-year deal. Wide receiver could also be an option here but stockpiling defensive backs is never a bad strategy. Booth has all the athleticism and tools to be special, and he balled out for Clemson this season.

Skol Vikes!!

I'm interested in Leftwich, Flores, Colts DC, and Bills OC.

No idea for GM. Fran Foley?

Souhan: Look hard, Vikings, at the greatly undervalued market of Black leaders

Look around U.S. Bank Stadium, and you see slogans. "End racism.'' "It takes all of us.'' They're painted on the back line of the end zones and stenciled into the padding of some players' helmets.

As owners of the Vikings, the Wilfs have walked the walk on social justice, contributing time and money and casting themselves as anti-racists.

Monday morning, the Vikings fired coach Mike Zimmer and General Manager Rick Spielman. Zygi Wilf, his brother Mark and their fellow team owners will hire their replacements.

It's time for the Wilfs to prove that they care about more than slogans and symbols. They have an opportunity to take advantage of the NFL's inherent racism and hire an underappreciated coaching candidate.

When Oakland A's General Manager Billy Beane popularized modern sports analytics, he did so by taking advantage of undervalued metrics. For him, at that time, the answer was on-base percentage.

In the NFL, the most undervalued assets are Black head coaches.

As of early Monday morning, after the firing of Dolphins coach Brian Flores, the NFL could claim only two black NFL head coaches: Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin and Houston's David Culley, and Culley was considered a stopgap who might be fired.

About 70% of NFL players are Black. At the moment, 6% of the NFL's head coaches are Black.

Skol Vikes!!

Paul Allen show this morning on KFAN was.......interesting.

at one point, he was quoting bible verses as his way of showing compassion and support to Zimmer and Spielman.

I'm not kidding when I say it sounded like a member of his family had died.

Does anyone know why Zimmer did not talk to the team this morning?

Spielmann has drafted one defender that matters in 8 years.

He sucks balls.

Paul Allen show this morning on KFAN was.......interesting.

at one point, he was quoting bible verses as his way of showing compassion and support to Zimmer and Spielman.

I'm not kidding when I say it sounded like a member of his family had died.
Paul Allen has gone full blown Jesus Freak.

Is there really any chatter at all about Tomlin leaving Pittsburgh?

Just feels like he is so entrenched with the ownership, who don't remove coaches based on whichever way the wind is blowing. With that loyal fanbase I think that's the best gig there is in the NFL.

Amazing coaching job that he was able to circle the wagons and get the Steelers into the post-season this year. Plug and play another QB to replace Big Ben, I think Tomlin would be crazy to go anywhere else.
There was chatter at one point. And he got rumored for USC as well. Now that they snuck into the play-offs I doubt he's going anywhere. Still it can't hurt to dangle Kirk Cousins in front of them and make them say no. 33 TD's 7 Int's!

Souhan: Look hard, Vikings, at the greatly undervalued market of Black leaders

Look around U.S. Bank Stadium, and you see slogans. "End racism.'' "It takes all of us.'' They're painted on the back line of the end zones and stenciled into the padding of some players' helmets.

As owners of the Vikings, the Wilfs have walked the walk on social justice, contributing time and money and casting themselves as anti-racists.

Monday morning, the Vikings fired coach Mike Zimmer and General Manager Rick Spielman. Zygi Wilf, his brother Mark and their fellow team owners will hire their replacements.

It's time for the Wilfs to prove that they care about more than slogans and symbols. They have an opportunity to take advantage of the NFL's inherent racism and hire an underappreciated coaching candidate.

When Oakland A's General Manager Billy Beane popularized modern sports analytics, he did so by taking advantage of undervalued metrics. For him, at that time, the answer was on-base percentage.

In the NFL, the most undervalued assets are Black head coaches.

As of early Monday morning, after the firing of Dolphins coach Brian Flores, the NFL could claim only two black NFL head coaches: Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin and Houston's David Culley, and Culley was considered a stopgap who might be fired.

About 70% of NFL players are Black. At the moment, 6% of the NFL's head coaches are Black.

Skol Vikes!!
He may be right, but I wish he wouldn't write this stuff. It just makes 50% of the fan base reflexively question the hire. See Johnson, Ben.

Top Bottom