All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Leftwich is mine. Neither he or Daboll is on the list as of now....
I wonder if that's by the Vikings choice, or due to them not wanting to interview while they are still coaching and/or wanting a GM in place?

I would be fine with Leftwich, but Tom Brady makes every coach look good...

I wonder if that's by the Vikings choice, or due to them not wanting to interview while they are still coaching and/or wanting a GM in place?

From some of the names I've heard;

Bowles > Daboll > Hackett > Leftwich > Moore

But who the heck knows? Always been a huge, HUGE admirer of Bowles. Great coach, great calm demeanor, he's the only one of these above that has done the gig before (and the entire Jets organization was an utter dumpster fire from top to bottom). He's going to get a shot I would think, and I'd be shocked if he's not successful.

But who the heck knows? Always been a huge, HUGE admirer of Bowles. Great coach, great calm demeanor, he's the only one of these above that has done the gig before (and the entire Jets organization was an utter dumpster fire from top to bottom). He's going to get a shot I would think, and I'd be shocked if he's not successful.
Good choice. I'm not against giving a guy another chance. Belichek got a 2nd chance. He's been ok for a few decades.

So you want another Leslie Frazier? Bowles is also 58, I'd prefer someone younger. I think Bowles, much like Zimmer and Frazier, is better suited to remain a DC.

The factors in Leftiwich's favor to me are: Arians isn't over his shoulder, the way McCarthy/LaFluer are, and we know he can handle media and the locker room at least to some extent. We don't know that about Moore/Daboll/Hackett.

So you want another Leslie Frazier? Bowles is also 58, I'd prefer someone younger. I think Bowles, much like Zimmer and Frazier, is better suited to remain a DC.
If we're going retread DC, I'd rather roll the dice on Rheem Morris (similar record as Bowles but younger) or Quinn (far better record).

If they interview Frazier, the question you need to ask is "How did Rick Spielman get you to keep playing Christian Ponder, never once yanking him in the 3rd quarter for poor performance?"

Yeah, he has pretty strong ties to the area. They are kind of a blank slate in terms building your own thing. They likely have more reasonable expectations. Not paying the state income tax is nice and they don't have an absolute conundrum at the QB position.

MN is a good job but I think for Leftwich, Jacksonville is better.
Agreed. Can build around Lawrence and with the previous ties there, seem like the obvious choice.

Why are the Vikings tweeting out every time they interview a GM candidate. Very strange.

Why? Because he played QB there? The organization is mostly a mess. Yes they have Trevor Lawrence, but I'd still rather coach the Vikings, easily.
Bolded was simply what I was thinking, possible still some roots down in the area from spending a few years there? Better weather? Just spitballin'.

Yeah, he has pretty strong ties to the area. They are kind of a blank slate in terms building your own thing. They likely have more reasonable expectations. Not paying the state income tax is nice and they don't have an absolute conundrum at the QB position.

MN is a good job but I think for Leftwich, Jacksonville is better.
This is obviously a better answer! :)

The factors in Leftiwich's favor to me are: Arians isn't over his shoulder, the way McCarthy/LaFluer are, and we know he can handle media and the locker room at least to some extent. We don't know that about Moore/Daboll/Hackett.

Another factor with Leftwich is he may be the heir apparent in Tampa Bay. Arians already retired once, and another retirement is likely in the not too distant future.

Another factor with Leftwich is he may be the heir apparent in Tampa Bay. Arians already retired once, and another retirement is likely in the not too distant future.
I assume Arians and Brady go out together. Does Leftwich want to be left with the rebuild there?

I assume Arians and Brady go out together. Does Leftwich want to be left with the rebuild there?
He'll likely end up at a rebuild either way. Tampa Bay has some nice pieces long term. They also drafted Kyle Trask late in the 2nd round. He could develop into a decent QB.

thoughts:

on the "announced" candidates for GM and HC interviews. Those are presumably people who have agreed to be interviewed. there may be other candidates who were contacted and said "not interested." no sense wasting your time chasing people who have no interest in MN.

next - when you are talking about moving someone from OC or DC to HC, it's always a bit of a risk.
Just because someone is good at one job, that does not guarantee they will be good at a different job. as we saw with Zimmer, you can be a really good DC (or OC) and not necessarily be a good HC, because the HC has different duties and responsibilities.

likewise for going from a player personnel job or ass't GM to being the GM. still a change in responsibilities. some people make a good assistant, but a bad boss. so there are no sure things.

RandBall: Mired in mediocrity, Vikings at a pivotal point in franchise history

It's fine to dream big as candidates are being interviewed. But remember this could go a different direction, too.

In the final six years of Bud Grant's initial 17-season coaching run with the Vikings from 1967-83, the Vikings were never more than two games above or below .500.

After missing the playoffs at 8-8 in 1983, Grant retired — and the Vikings hired Les Steckel to take over as head coach. That 1984 season was a 3-13 disaster, enough so that Grant came out of retirement in 1985 to coach a 7-9 team before giving way to Jerry Burns and another season of missed playoffs in 1986.

That four-year stretch from 1983-1986 was the last time the Vikings missed the playoffs in four consecutive years. Ever since then, they generally have been a team that had a chance to compete for a playoff spot every year — with occasional flirtations with greatness in 1998, 2000, 2009 and 2017.

Skol Vikes!!

As more information comes out about Zimmer's conduct, he should have been let go a few years ago.
Honestly if you go back and rewatch how unprepared he had the defense was for the nfc title game against Philadelphia and then no adjustments…he should’ve gotten the can when they missed the playoffs the next season.

He blew this roster’s window From 2016-2018 and by 2019-21 they were holding on to a roster that was too old and mediocre to really contend.

As it is. This team should be entering year 3 or 4 of a rebuild. And instead they haven’t even started and have one playoff win to show for it

RandBall: Mired in mediocrity, Vikings at a pivotal point in franchise history

It's fine to dream big as candidates are being interviewed. But remember this could go a different direction, too.

In the final six years of Bud Grant's initial 17-season coaching run with the Vikings from 1967-83, the Vikings were never more than two games above or below .500.

After missing the playoffs at 8-8 in 1983, Grant retired — and the Vikings hired Les Steckel to take over as head coach. That 1984 season was a 3-13 disaster, enough so that Grant came out of retirement in 1985 to coach a 7-9 team before giving way to Jerry Burns and another season of missed playoffs in 1986.

That four-year stretch from 1983-1986 was the last time the Vikings missed the playoffs in four consecutive years. Ever since then, they generally have been a team that had a chance to compete for a playoff spot every year — with occasional flirtations with greatness in 1998, 2000, 2009 and 2017.

Skol Vikes!!
The Vikings are the most Minnesotan of all the pro teams. Almost always Above Average.

Honestly if you go back and rewatch how unprepared he had the defense was for the nfc title game against Philadelphia and then no adjustments…he should’ve gotten the can when they missed the playoffs the next season.

He blew this roster’s window From 2016-2018 and by 2019-21 they were holding on to a roster that was too old and mediocre to really contend.

As it is. This team should be entering year 3 or 4 of a rebuild. And instead they haven’t even started and have one playoff win to show for it
There are no 3-4 year rebuilds in the NFL. They can trade Cousins, cut a few guys, endure a tough 2022 and have $100 million in cap space for 2023.

I didn't know anything about Nathaniel Hackett until listening to this. Hard not to be very impressed with the packer OC.

Good choice. I'm not against giving a guy another chance. Belichek got a 2nd chance. He's been ok for a few decades.
I think the only time the Vikings given a Head Coach a 2nd NFL chance, was Bud Grant in 1985, and even that was just for 1 year.

Change it up I say, go get someone with prior NFL HC experience.

There are no 3-4 year rebuilds in the NFL. They can trade Cousins, cut a few guys, endure a tough 2022 and have $100 million in cap space for 2023.
Exactly. Football teams can rebuild after 1 bad year. It's not like baseball or basketball where it can take years.

Yeah exactly what I’m saying. They should be right now where you now think they should be in 2024

they should right now no what they have and be making small changes to contend

instead of step 3-4 they are On step 1.
Most teams don’t win a Super Bowl in year 2 of a rebuild save bringing in a hall of fame quarterback.

Yeah exactly what I’m saying. They should be right now where you now think they should be in 2024

they should right now no what they have and be making small changes to contend

instead of step 3-4 they are On step 1.
Most teams don’t win a Super Bowl in year 2 of a rebuild save bringing in a hall of fame quarterback.
Super Bowl? Maybe not. But there's no reason they can't be a play-off team in 2023.

Super Bowl? Maybe not. But there's no reason they can't be a play-off team in 2023.
Agree. But that doesn’t mean much.
If you’re a playoff team in the nfl you’re in the 57th percentile.
If the goal is to make the playoffs they should run it back with Zimmer and speilman. They were like 3 plays away this year.

Agree. But that doesn’t mean much.
If you’re a playoff team in the nfl you’re in the 57th percentile.
If the goal is to make the playoffs they should run it back with Zimmer and speilman. They were like 3 plays away this year.
I didn't say that was the goal. But I don't consider a team that makes the play-offs to be "in year 2 of a 4 year rebuild."

Top Bottom