All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I really hope they can trade Cousins. He needs a team like Stafford had with the Rams this year. Then he can win big.

I want to move on from him. He is Spielman and Zimmer. Belongs to that regime. I want a fresh start.

Also, just realized that the Rams will be playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium.

After that having never happened in the history of the Super Bowl (LA Rams in the Coliseum, not the Rose Bowl), it has now happened the past two years.

Granted, other than New York, it has never been in an open-air stadium above the Mason-Dixon line, or something approximately like that. Charlotte has not, Nashville has not, Denver has not, SF has.

Last edited:

I think it's likely that Harbaugh signs with the Vikings. The only wild card is that Dolphins owner Stephen (Steven?) Ross is very very tight with Harbaugh and both are apparently "Michigan men". Ross had always said he would never try to hire Harbaugh away from his beloved Michigan but now that it seems pretty clear JH is leaving, he may try to make a diving save.

Might be unlikely, but if you're somewhat hoping for a Harbaugh hire, it's at least something to think about.
Has Miami even requested permission from UM to interview Harbaugh? I have not seen any report of that anywhere. If they tried to poach him without going through protocol, that would be par for the course for Dolphins ownership and the shady things they did a few years ago to connect with Brian Flores outside league rules and protocols.

Fascinating thread and consistent with things I've read elsewhere.

If the Wilfs or this other ownership interest deep six this opportunity over the initiative of KAM, that'll be a new low for this ownership and would be just the latest example of Gilligan preventing the castaways' rescue. Time and time again, the Wilfs have managed to either not be active enough or unable to get out of their own way.

Keep in mind that the Vikings were a few close losses (partly because of poor tactical decisions but also a missed kick or two) and a couple injuries and a sick QB in a key game away from a winning record and playoff appearance. Do I think they were a contender? No. But they're not as bad as their record and closer to contention than most people give them credit for.

That said, their cap problem is a real problem. Their main issue is payroll. That will be difficult but not impossible to overcome. Oh, and you win championships with line play. The extent to which they can improve both lines in the off season will determine whether Harbaugh could pull off in his first year something along the lines of what he pulled off in his first year in SF.

Has Miami even requested permission from UM to interview Harbaugh? I have not seen any report of that anywhere. If they tried to poach him without going through protocol, that would be par for the course for Dolphins ownership and the shady things they did a few years ago to connect with Brian Flores outside league rules and protocols.
Ross has said he didn't want to be the one to pull Harbaugh away from Michigan.

But now it seems the cat is out the bag? So if it somehow falls through with the Vikings, I would think Harbaugh would ask to be hired by the Dolphins.

Fascinating thread and consistent with things I've read elsewhere.

If the Wilfs or this other ownership interest deep six this opportunity over the initiative of KAM, that'll be a new low for this ownership and would be just the latest example of Gilligan preventing the castaways' rescue. Time and time again, the Wilfs have managed to either not be active enough or unable to get out of their own way.

It's obvious that Harbaugh, along with Graham, are at the top of KAM's list as they didn't talk to either until after he was hired. They hired KAM first to make the decision on the future head coach. If anyone in the organization overrides KAM's decision, then this franchise will continue to struggle. I really don't think the Wilfs operate that way though.

Genuinely curious which events/scenarios you would label for each.
Most notably their fumbling the previous coaching decisions. Trying to hire the next Parcels or the next Belichik, hiring Chilly on the spot rather than go through diligence with other candidates. Generally not knowing what they were doing but doing it anyway. That's why this current process has been such a pleasant surprise: they've done everything exactly right so far. But so did the castaways in every episode of GG...until something went amiss.

Keep in mind that the Vikings were a few close losses (partly because of poor tactical decisions but also a missed kick or two) and a couple injuries and a sick QB in a key game away from a winning record and playoff appearance. Do I think they were a contender? No. But they're not as bad as their record and closer to contention than most people give them credit for.

That said, their cap problem is a real problem. Their main issue is payroll. That will be difficult but not impossible to overcome. Oh, and you win championships with line play. The extent to which they can improve both lines in the off season will determine whether Harbaugh could pull off in his first year something along the lines of what he pulled off in his first year in SF.
So...where am I going with this? Cousins aside, this is the time to trade Cook. He's already declining, but his value is arguably at its peak. Mattison is good enough and has more juice in the tank.

It's obvious that Harbaugh, along with Graham, are at the top of KAM's list as they didn't talk to either until after he was hired. They hired KAM first to make the decision on the future head coach. If anyone in the organization overrides KAM's decision, then this franchise will continue to struggle. I really don't think the Wilfs operate that way though.
If KAM's job and main specialty is to evaluate the talent of players, using analytics and such, and negotiate contracts, that sort of thing .... why would he be the best person to evaluate who the best coach would be?

Not saying he should have no say, of course.

So...where am I going with this? Cousins aside, this is the time to trade Cook. He's already declining, but his value is arguably at its peak. Mattison is good enough and has more juice in the tank.
Trade both Cook and Cousins. With you all the way.

If KAM's job and main specialty is to evaluate the talent of players, using analytics and such, and negotiate contracts, that sort of thing .... why would he be the best person to evaluate who the best coach would be?

Not saying he should have no say, of course.
All I'm going to say is that I'm drawn to clear-headed thinkers, and Kwesi seems to be one.

Also, just realized that the Rams will be playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium.

After that having never happened in the history of the Super Bowl (LA Rams in the Coliseum, not the Rose Bowl), it has now happened the past two years.

Granted, other than New York, it has never been in an open-air stadium above the Mason-Dixon line, or something approximately like that. Charlotte has not, Nashville has not, Denver has not, SF has.
As you referenced, while not in their Home Stadium, the Rams did get to play the Steelers in Pasadena, Super Bowl XIV. The 49ers also got home cooking in Palo Alto against the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX.

I have to think Nashville will get strong future consideration, I suppose now it would have to be a new stadium, dome or not. Seattle too?

And Patrick Graham #4, so both the Black candidates the least likely, and therefore you could easily surmise were just being interviewed for Rooney Rule.

But, to the credit of the Vikings -- and maybe this is due to the lawsuit in part -- they interviewed Morris in person out in Calif and had Graham out at Eagan for 9 hours (!!) yesterday.

So, to the best they can possibly do, hopefully they will avoid any flack from this.
There are already folks online (SI Writer Michael Silver) claiming they had already made up their mind on Harbaugh before interviewing him for 9 hours thus making it worse. They can't win.

As you referenced, while not in their Home Stadium, the Rams did get to play the Steelers in Pasadena, Super Bowl XIV. The 49ers also got home cooking in Palo Alto against the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX.

I have to think Nashville will get strong future consideration, I suppose now it would have to be a new stadium, dome or not. Seattle too?
Would think all of those in some number of decades will have to replace their current open-air stadiums, and at that time if they make the decision that teams/cities like the Vikings, Rams, etc. have made, then they'll get to host.

Would think all of those in some number of decades will have to replace their current open-air stadiums, and at that time if they make the decision that teams/cities like the Vikings, Rams, etc. have made, then they'll get to host.
Denver would be the one I would question most, if they stick with an open air stadium. Cold/Snow great for TV ratings, but not sure those spending $10,000 for a ticket want to deal that.

Was it $10k for the SB a few years ago here???

I have to imagine some of that is LA rich/famous folks bloating the prices.

Was it $10k for the SB a few years ago here???

I have to imagine some of that is LA rich/famous folks bloating the prices.
Not quite that high, but mid 4 figures. Philly fans were pretty thirsty for a Title.

As of early Monday afternoon, the least expensive tickets on sale were hovering above a staggering $5,000.

On Ticketmaster, the NFL’s official ticket marketplace, the cheapest tickets were listed at just over $6,000 per seat, but when you include the fees, it’s actually more than $7,000. The most expensive pair was going for about $65,000 apiece in the VIP section, or over $78,000 per ticket when factoring in fees.

Meanwhile, On Location, the official hospitality provider of the NFL, had tickets starting at roughly $5,700 and going up to about $36,000 per ticket. The amenities in each package vary, and may include access to the pre-game party, open bar, entertainment and appearances by NFL legends.

The cheapest seats on StubHub were selling for just below $6,000 each, which works out to nearly $7,500 when the fees are added. The priciest ticket, meanwhile, was around $28,000 — but adding estimated fees, it’s really more like $36,000.

SeatGeek had tickets ranging in price from $5,125 (approaching $7,000 with fees) to about $54,000 (more than $70,000 once fees are included).

And the least expensive tickets on Vivid Seats were selling for just over $5,000, while the priciest were above the $50,000 mark.

Of course, it’s likely ticket prices will drop somewhat before the big game. As SeatGeek’s ticket tracker states, “Resale activity spikes immediately following the conference championship games, but prices generally tend to fall as kickoff approaches.”..

Denver would be the one I would question most, if they stick with an open air stadium. Cold/Snow great for TV ratings, but not sure those spending $10,000 for a ticket want to deal that.
Denver would be no worse than the NYC Super Bowl and the rich folks can go skiing. If the team ends up selling for the rumored $4 Billion the league may feel compelled to give them one as a thank-you for driving up franchise values. One mark against is that New Mile High is already 20 years old.

There are already folks online (SI Writer Michael Silver) claiming they had already made up their mind on Harbaugh before interviewing him for 9 hours thus making it worse. They can't win.

Well, the NFL only has itself to blame for that. If you make a rule that you have to interview black candidates before announcing a coach, you're going to end up with some situations where it's pre-determined and you're merely "wasting" the time of the black candidates. I would guess it's still a net-positive, even if those few coaches are sometimes getting the run-around. Maybe not fair, but those candidates that have their time "wasted" are laying the ground work for others that come after them. Additionally, if said black candidate thinks it's already determined and they have no shot, then just decline the interview. It's not like they're being forced to interview.

At the end of the day, a lot of from the team's perspective is "You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't". If they do hire a black coach, inevitably when he's fired (which happens to almost all coaching tenures), then you'll get called racist for not giving him more time/support. Happens like clockwork, as I can remember that happening every time a black coach was fired in this market.

Well, the NFL only has itself to blame for that. If you make a rule that you have to interview black candidates before announcing a coach, you're going to end up with some situations where it's pre-determined and you're merely "wasting" the time of the black candidates. I would guess it's still a net-positive, even if those few coaches are sometimes getting the run-around. Maybe not fair, but those candidates that have their time "wasted" are laying the ground work for others that come after them. Additionally, if said black candidate thinks it's already determined and they have no shot, then just decline the interview. It's not like they're being forced to interview.

At the end of the day, a lot of from the team's perspective is "You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't". If they do hire a black coach, inevitably when he's fired (which happens to almost all coaching tenures), then you'll get called racist for not giving him more time/support. Happens like clockwork, as I can remember that happening every time a black coach was fired in this market.
I don't disagree. And you never know what will happen. The Steelers only interviewed Tomlin for that reason and he blew them away. I don't think the Graham interview was for show. Quesi obviously likes him, though I think the plan/hope is for him to be Assistant HC/DC for Harbaugh.

Yes. Trade them both. Get rid of Cook.

High paid RBs kill the cap. RB is one of the least valuable positions.
The cap savings of trading/cutting Cook are only ~$5 million in 2022. So I'd only trade him for a 2nd rounder or better, which I'm not sure you can get. Otherwise he's worth keeping one more year.

Yes. Trade them both. Get rid of Cook.

High paid RBs kill the cap. RB is one of the least valuable positions.
True, post 6/1 we can simply release him for $11M cap savings.

EDIT: whoops, that was in 2023. Would still be $8.78M cap savings for 2022 post 6/1 release.

Dude just does not stay healthy enough.

The cap savings of trading/cutting Cook are only ~$5 million in 2022. So I'd only trade him for a 2nd rounder or better, which I'm not sure you can get. Otherwise he's worth keeping one more year.
Would you rather have Mattison and a $5‐$10 million RG to replace Udoh, or would you rather have Cook plus Udoh.

I'd rather have Mattison with an upgrade at RG.

EDIT: whoops, that was in 2023. Would still be $8.78M cap savings for 2022 post 6/1 release.

I'd be all for releasing him if he isn't tradeable.

Pre-6/1 it's lower though. And that's when they really need the cap space. They can also get a bunch releasing Barr after 6/1 which I assume they will do.

Pre-6/1 it's lower though. And that's when they really need the cap space. They can also get a bunch releasing Barr after 6/1 which I assume they will do.
Do you have to be continuously under the cap, or just by some date? If they can factor the savings for post 6/1 release into decision making prior ...

Ha, the date is probably 6/1.

Top Bottom