All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Their Vegas over/under is ~9. Winning more than that would hardly be shocking. They have 8 games against the Lions, Bears, Giants, Jets, Commanders and Dolphins. The only games they'd be more than 4 point underdogs in at this point is @Buffalo and @GB.
I'd take the under.

Can I ask what NFL can overcome their staring quarterback getting hurt and still winning? It’s not a unique problem or is it a money problem. There are 32 NFL teams and there are not 32 great or even good quarterbacks for these teams to fight over.

as the NFL has gone to more of a passing league with an emphasis on high-powered offenses, it puts more pressure on the QB to perform.

in the 60's or even the 70's, you could lose a starting QB and the backup could manage the offense - because the offense emphasized the running game with far fewer passing attempts. in Super Bowl IV when the Chiefs beat the Vikings, the Chiefs ran the ball 42 times and threw 17 passes.

but in today's game, if the starter goes down, it is very rare for any team to have a backup who is capable of playing at the same level as the starter. there is going to be a drop-off. the question is how much of a drop-off.

Captain Obvious = it depends how healthy we stay. That's always true, for every team, of course.

But:
- Cook I feel like tends to get hurt
- Theilen, last year when he was available our offense was decent, when he went out, it started sucking
- Hunter has had known injury issues
- Harrison Smith, Pat Peterson, Kendricks are old(er)

Then you have Kirk being box of chocolates Kirk, and we have a starting Center that cannot stop a bullrush.

Captain Obvious = it depends how healthy we stay. That's always true, for every team, of course.

But:
- Cook I feel like tends to get hurt
- Theilen, last year when he was available our offense was decent, when he went out, it started sucking
- Hunter has had known injury issues
- Harrison Smith, Pat Peterson, Kendricks are old(er)

Then you have Kirk being box of chocolates Kirk, and we have a starting Center that cannot stop a bullrush.
I would narrow it down even quite a bit further.

If Hunter and Z. Smith essentially play a full season, they'll hit the over on Wins. Not a doubt in my mind. The time that Hunter missed the last couple years was devastating. Zero pass rush. Hunter and Smith could be a terror this year, fingers crossed

It would be hard for the defense to be worse than last year, the offense should be equal or better and the schedule is easier. That should lead to at least 1-2 more wins, IMO. Plus I think there's a 25% chance GB with no Adams and their aging prima donna QB implodes and goes off the rails. They almost certainly won't win 13 games again.

Last edited:

Where I hope the defense takes a simple step is in turnovers created. Zimmer's defense played everything safe and forced very few. If I remember right, Donatell's secondary would actually step in front of a pass occasionally. That would be a first.

I'm not sure people are focusing enough on this:

the Vikings have a completely new coaching staff. New HC. New OC. New offensive system.

and - switching to a completely different philosophy and schemes on defense.

their starters have not played in the pre-season.

So, they are going to roll out all of this new stuff for the first time in the regular season.

Oh - they open against Aaron Rodgers.

what could go wrong?

best case scenario: 11-6
worst-case scenario: 7-10

I would narrow it down even quite a bit further.

If Hunter and Z. Smith essentially play a full season, they'll hit the over on Wins. Not a doubt in my mind. The time that Hunter missed the last couple years was devastating. Zero pass rush. Hunter and Smith could be a terror this year, fingers crossed
Not to be a Negative Nellie here but both of them have history of injuries. Maybe that is behind them as these two are key to getting it done up front.

I will say, I have been enjoying Hard Knocks this season.

Lions head coach is like The Dude (Lebowski) on steroids.

Mattison should be cut. He already isn't very good, and both Chandler and Nwangwu appear to be either better or more versatile.

obviously a bad situation for Bisi Johnson - but in reality, he was slated as the #4 or #5 receiver, depending on where they have Smith-Marsette figured. and I've seen some positive buzz on Nailor during training camp. so, bad for the player, but not a huge loss for the team - unless there are more injuries at that position.

on RB, I bet that Mattison sticks as insurance for Cook. Cook typically misses a few games every year, and I suspect they would not want to be left with just Chandler and Kene if that happened.

as the NFL has gone to more of a passing league with an emphasis on high-powered offenses, it puts more pressure on the QB to perform.

in the 60's or even the 70's, you could lose a starting QB and the backup could manage the offense - because the offense emphasized the running game with far fewer passing attempts. in Super Bowl IV when the Chiefs beat the Vikings, the Chiefs ran the ball 42 times and threw 17 passes.

but in today's game, if the starter goes down, it is very rare for any team to have a backup who is capable of playing at the same level as the starter. there is going to be a drop-off. the question is how much of a drop-off.

Trent folder and his Super Bowl Ron say hey

The worst story I heard was drafting Wyatt Davis in the third round even though all his scouts didnt like him
Exactly. If I remember correctly, he didn't even have a 7th Round grade.

Spielman was horrible.

The worst story I heard was drafting Wyatt Davis in the third round even though all his scouts didnt like him
The worst to me is still letting Daniel Carlson go because Zim came into work Monday with a red ass. You’re the bleeping GM have a backbone and say no he’s your guy life with it.

Top Bottom