All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

And now back to you’re regularly scheduled August line up incompetence.

At least last night was fun.

No one can ever claim this version of twins teams play fundementally solid baseball. The number of poor outfield throws allowing runners to advance and lack of productive outs is anything but fundamental baseball.

No one can ever claim this version of twins teams play fundementally solid baseball. The number of poor outfield throws allowing runners to advance and lack of productive outs is anything but fundamental baseball.
Horrible fundamental play. And no reason to bring your 5th best reliever out for a 2nd inning with Duran and Lopez available. This game sums up the current regime perfectly. Why anyone wants to run it back next year and expect a different result is beyond me.

After Jake Cave showed the Giants that he never goes 22 at-bats without a hit in the 8th, he comes through in the 9th to tie the game at 2. This came after a clutch hit by Correa after a horrific strike one call on him. Miranda grounds out to end the 9th and it's off to extras we go. Would be a really nice win if they can pull it off.

After Duran pitches a scoreless top half of the 10th, Gordon lays down a sac bunt to move Hamilton up to 3rd open the bottom half. Urshela then draws a walk and the Giants give an IBB to Kepler to set the stage for Celestino to play hero. He obliges by drawing a walk on 4 pitches and for just the 14th time this season, the Twins have come from behind to win!

This was such a gutty win. Offense was sputtering again being held scoreless through 8 innings before they broke through against Doval in the 9th. Coming into tonight, the Giants closer had given up just 2 earned runs in his last 16.2 IP and had converted his last 10 save opportunities. If Seattle holds their 2-1 lead against the Indians, the Twins will trail by just 2 games.

Last edited:

After Jake Cave showed the Giants that he never goes 22 at-bats without a hit in the 8th, he comes through in the 9th to tie the game at 2. This came after a clutch hit by Correa after a horrific strike one call on him. Miranda grounds out to end the 9th and it's off to extras we go. Would be a really nice win if they can pull it off.
They lucked out that Arraez base running gaffe didn't end the game in the 9th. But hey, gutsy win, hopefully they can build on it.

Sort of funny, I found the game on TV by complete accident. Coming home from Dundas (State Baseball Town Ball Tourney), I was listening to the Twins game on the radio when they rain delay hit. An hour or so later checked Ch 9 to see if it resumed, but the Vikings backups were scrimmaging the Broncos. Didn't realize the Twins game was actually on Ch 29. Flipping through the channel guide, saw The Hunt for Red October was supposed to be on Ch 29. Wanted to watch that for a few minutes at least, and imagine my surprise, saw Max Kepler lead off the bottom of the 9th with a base on balls to ignite the rally.

Horrible fundamental play. And no reason to bring your 5th best reliever out for a 2nd inning with Duran and Lopez available. This game sums up the current regime perfectly. Why anyone wants to run it back next year and expect a different result is beyond me.
So if this game "sums up the current regime perfectly" are contract extensions forthcoming?

So if this game "sums up the current regime perfectly" are contract extensions forthcoming?
No. I'm glad they won. But would you honestly say this team plays strong fundamental baseball?

After Jake Cave showed the Giants that he never goes 22 at-bats without a hit in the 8th, he comes through in the 9th to tie the game at 2.

Howie’s disturbing “Jakey Cave” shrine with this new diorama to last night’s exploits has prompted several requests for a wellness check with local authorities - the I Team is investigating as well.

Last edited:

No. I'm glad they won. But would you honestly say this team plays strong fundamental baseball?
No, and I think the poor base running is particularly alarming and puzzling. Somehow despite themselves it worked out.

Bummer that the Mariners bullpen couldn't hang on to a 3-1 lead in the 8th against the Guards, so essentially it was a wash overall.

And pull it off they did. This team still isn’t going anywhere. Too many blunders in the field and on the base paths. This isn’t Tom Kelly baseball. It’s far from it

What more does Pagan have to do before Rocco breaks up with him. The two on and two out is to precarious of a situation for your starter so you go to a guy that all he does is start fires. I just don’t freaking get it. Rocco break up with him and move on.

What more does Pagan have to do before Rocco breaks up with him. The two on and two out is to precarious of a situation for your starter so you go to a guy that all he does is start fires. I just don’t freaking get it. Rocco break up with him and move on.
He should have been DFA weeks ago. The idea that they're going to tender him a contract and pay him $4-5 million next year is absurd. But they probably will.

Crazy good break for that ball to somehow bounce over the wall for a double keeping the lead runner at third..it’s a stupid ass rule, but it’s a break.

You just can’t keep Emilio “yeah but he has good stuff” Pagan on the roster. He can’t be trusted no matter the situation and you don’t play in enough games where you need a mop up man for 3 innings in a blowout. He also can’t pitch 3-4 innings when you starter only goes 3.67 innings. He is a completely wasted roster stop right now and it needs to be fixed. With the rosters only expanding to 28 you can’t afford to have wasted roster spots.

How do they determine what the strike zone is? I'm absolutely not a baseball expert, but I thought it was a dynamic size where the height reflected the space between the batter's knees and ... something, shoulders?

It must be a fixed space, then, for this to work?
I believe the system adjusts with each batter to account for height.

Another example of why you never spend a lot of money on relievers. I know he hasn’t become a free agent yet but relievers can fall apart so fast. He gave up 6 runs in 0.1 today. Woof.

well, at least the Twins can decide their own fate. the pitching has actually been pretty good this month.

IF they can figure out a way to score some runs, they have a shot. we'll see who comes off the IL in the next couple of weeks and what that does to the roster - which expands to 28 players in September. apparently they can only add 1 pitcher, so looks like 14 pitchers and 14 position players in September.

Another example of why you never spend a lot of money on relievers. I know he hasn’t become a free agent yet but relievers can fall apart so fast. He gave up 6 runs in 0.1 today. Woof.

Maybe it’s San Diego?
Rodgers and now Hader - maybe provides Tingsley a chuckle or 2

Top Bottom