All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

This was talked about on today's Tony Kornheiser Show Podcast and I find it astounding, even in the advent of "the Opener." The Washington Nationals starting pitchers had not recorded a Win since late June. 43 game streak broken last night.

They won the World Series just 3 seasons ago.

Last edited:

there was a game in the State Amateur Baseball Tournament that went 21 innings. the two teams used a total of 7 pitchers - 3 for one team and 4 for the other. former MLB ball-player Mike Kingery's son threw 12 innings. (I've seen him play - the kid is good!) Reusse has an article in the Strib about the game.

And - one of the teams featured the Koskie family. former Twin Corey Koskie and three of his sons. Corey hit a HR in the game and one of his kids pitched 8 innings. but their team lost. Koskie is 49. He said he might play another 5 years because he has a 12-year old son and wants to play with all four of his sons on the same team.

Thinking forward to next year, IF everything goes according to plan, we could have our best pitching staff in years.

SP Sonny Gray
SP Joe Ryan
SP King Kenta
SP Tyler Mahle
SP Ober/Winder/Sands/Varland/SWR

RP Jhoan Duran
RP Jorge Lopez
RP Griffin Jax
RP Jorge Alcala
RP Cody Stashak
RP Randy Dobnak (Long man)
RP Caleb Thielbar (Lefty)
RP Evan Sisk (Lefty)

Thinking forward to next year, IF everything goes according to plan, we could have our best pitching staff in years.

SP Sonny Gray
SP Joe Ryan
SP King Kenta
SP Tyler Mahle
SP Ober/Winder/Sands/Varland/SWR

RP Jhoan Duran
RP Jorge Lopez
RP Griffin Jax
RP Jorge Alcala
RP Cody Stashak
RP Randy Dobnak (Long man)
RP Caleb Thielbar (Lefty)
RP Evan Sisk (Lefty)
Way to put that into that out there. I’m sure nothing bad came happen to a Minnesota sports team between now and then.

there was a game in the State Amateur Baseball Tournament that went 21 innings. the two teams used a total of 7 pitchers - 3 for one team and 4 for the other. former MLB ball-player Mike Kingery's son threw 12 innings. (I've seen him play - the kid is good!) Reusse has an article in the Strib about the game.

And - one of the teams featured the Koskie family. former Twin Corey Koskie and three of his sons. Corey hit a HR in the game and one of his kids pitched 8 innings. but their team lost. Koskie is 49. He said he might play another 5 years because he has a 12-year old son and wants to play with all four of his sons on the same team.

Here's Reusse's article.

After seeing a game and a half in Dundas on Saturday and then the conclusion of 2 suspended games in Miesville on Sunday, I only briefly considered going to Dundas for more baseball on Sunday evening. I missed a dandy.

Combined the Koskies went 3-25 even with Corey's HR. Tough no decision for Kingery an Atwater "draftee" for Bird Island, but survives and advances to Labor Day Weekend.

Gotta love baseball. Hey Devin thanks for saving us yesterday when our starting pitcher could only go 3.67 innings and out bullpen ace Pagan couldn’t throw a strike. Your reward is a trip to St Paul for 10 days to think about what you did. Plus by doing this we can keep you Pre-Arb eligible for another year.

Gotta love baseball. Hey Devin thanks for saving us yesterday when our starting pitcher could only go 3.67 innings and out bullpen ace Pagan couldn’t throw a strike. Your reward is a trip to St Paul for 10 days to think about what you did. Plus by doing this we can keep you Pre-Arb eligible for another year.
Welp, Morani never should have been sent down, and if it was to make sure he kept his rookie clock, then the Twins need to grow up as an organization as the really good teams don't seem to do that midseason. - he certainty would have had enough chances for work - I can understand playing the service game at the beginning of the season, if you have a competent player in front of them.

Devin, hope you get as far away from the Twins as possible, as they have treated you like the ultimate red headed stepchild. All you do is pitch well, win at a high rate with a good ERA - Jamie Moyer pitched lots of years in the league and won 269 in his career. I want to see what you can do with full season in the rotation, and no, i'm not saying he is the next Moyer, but he deserves better and crafty lefties are always fun to watch as well -

To Bobby Wit (I've seen worse) -

SUMMARY
Career
WAR

W
L
ERA
G
GS
SV
IP
SO
WHIP
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Welp, Morani never should have been sent down, and if it was to make sure he kept his rookie clock, then the Twins need to grow up as an organization as the really good teams don't seem to do that midseason. - he certainty would have had enough chances for work - I can understand playing the service game at the beginning of the season, if you have a competent player in front of them.

Devin, hope you get as far away from the Twins as possible, as they have treated you like the ultimate red headed stepchild. All you do is pitch well, win at a high rate with a good ERA - Jamie Moyer pitched lots of years in the league and won 269 in his career. I want to see what you can do with full season in the rotation, and no, i'm not saying he is the next Moyer, but he deserves better and crafty lefties are always fun to watch as well -

SUMMARY
Career
WAR

W
L
ERA
G
GS
SV
IP
SO
WHIP
Yeah, I don’t get why they keep jerking Smeltzer around. He may not have the sexiest stuff but at the end of the day, he usually gives us a chance to win. I guess they’d rather have the occasional strike-out from Pagan and ignore all the guys that get on base between strike outs.

SUMMARY
Career
WAR

W
L
ERA
G
GS
SV
IP
SO
WHIP
I just don’t get what 30 year old Aaron Sanchez offers that 26 year old Devon Smeltzer does not? If it’s only because he (Sanchez) is out of options then that’s sad. There is no upside to keeping Sanchez when no one else is gonna claim him.

I just don’t get what 30 year old Aaron Sanchez offers that 26 year old Devon Smeltzer does not? If it’s only because he (Sanchez) is out of options then that’s sad. There is no upside to keeping Sanchez when no one else is gonna claim him.
me either - excellent point

I miss playing town team ball.

They've treated Smelzer badly no doubt. But in this case, they can "demote" him, and recall him on Thursday. He wasn't going to be available until Wednesday at the earliest. It's essentially meaningless and he probably won't even report to St Paul.

Do starting pitchers get really screwed by getting called up and sent down all the time? They can start a game and get paid 1 MLB check for 1 game, then get sent down and collect puny MiiB checks. Except, that 1 game by a starter is 3% of his season's appearances. The amount of times he'll start is vastly out of whack with how he'll be paid.

They've treated Smelzer badly no doubt. But in this case, they can "demote" him, and recall him on Thursday. He wasn't going to be available until Wednesday at the earliest. It's essentially meaningless and he probably won't even report to St Paul.
He has to be gone for 15 days in todays mlb I believe unless he’s replacing a injured player or is the 26th man for a double header.

What the twins are saying is we like 30 year old Aaron Sanchez who we got in the crap bin or 26 year old Smeltzer who we have developed. What does that say about their trust in development. It would be one thing is Smeltzer was 21 and just starting out but he’s 26 bleeping years old. Pitch him, Smeltzer, and see what the hell he can do as he has been good this uear.

Re: Smeltzer

It may come off as cold, but that's the way teams juggle the roster, especially if the AAA club is in close proximity to the major-league team.

Smeltzer was not going to pitch for 2 or 3 days after that outing. So, they send him to St. Paul and replace him with a "fresh" arm who is available to pitch. it's logical. To quote the Godfather, "it's business, not personal."

when Smeltzer is out of options, they'll find another young pitcher to do the St. Paul Shuttle.
to the best of my knowledge, I think under the CBA, a player can only go down to the minors 5 times in a season.

@howeda7

Would you rather the Twins 👯‍♀️ fold like a cheap umbrella

OR

Continue to have Cave Monster 👺 write his name in 👯‍♂️ /MN sports lore??

Re: Smeltzer

It may come off as cold, but that's the way teams juggle the roster, especially if the AAA club is in close proximity to the major-league team.

Smeltzer was not going to pitch for 2 or 3 days after that outing. So, they send him to St. Paul and replace him with a "fresh" arm who is available to pitch. it's logical. To quote the Godfather, "it's business, not personal."

when Smeltzer is out of options, they'll find another young pitcher to do the St. Paul Shuttle.
to the best of my knowledge, I think under the CBA, a player can only go down to the minors 5 times in a season.
I agree with all of that, but Aaron Sanchez is also not gonna pitch for 5 games. My question is why Smeltzer must go down as opposed to just being the 5th starter until Mahle is back or Ober or Winder. What has Aaron Sanchez shown the twins that he deserves to be pitching for a contender?

Once again having Chris Archer pitch after Dylan Bundy is just destroying the bullpen.
It’s ridiculous that they aren’t piggy backing someone with Archer. Once Mahle is back, cut Pagan and keep Sanchez. Archer goes 4, Sanchez the next 3 or 4.

It’s ridiculous that they aren’t piggy backing someone with Archer. Once Mahle is back, cut Pagan and keep Sanchez. Archer goes 4, Sanchez the next 3 or 4.
Eventually you should have Ober, Winder, and Smeltzer too. Maybe even wait for it, Randy “Game two of the 2019 ALCS in yankee stadium” Dobnak.

There is no room on the roster for archer or pagan or Sanchez when you can only add 1 pitcher for September.

Top Bottom