All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

BUCK BASHING

As bad as the obvious suspects are, I’m putting much of the blame on him.

Per Rand/Ruesse podcast on Monday (8/20) Buck had the following stats for
RISP -
9 for 62 - how may Woofs is this worth @From the Parkinglot
1-20 With 2 Outs - Infinity Woofs

Pat mentioned how inflated the team BA is because of Luis and Jose’s efforts and how this helps mask the overall offensive ineptitude.

My Nonsense -

Buck got sucked into thinking he could hang with Judge - Watched him crush #49 last night that traveled 453 feet.

Buck you ain’t that guy or even a healthy Trout - you need to stay in your lane.

Start situational hitting- it’s your team and you need to set the example by not swinging your azz of every AB.

The hitting coach needs to go as well!

I assumed the move for Buxton to the IL would be bringing Contreras back. They recalled Hamilton and are carrying 3 catchers? Two of which can't hit and one who is slumping badly at the plate and isn't great defensively.
Send out Cave and Hamilton for Chris Williams and Contraras. It's not much, but Cave is totally worthless and they don't need 3 catchers who can't hit.

So you're saying this team doesn't have many superstars? It takes a long time to build that pipeline up in MLB, and they came into an organization void of talent. Their next tier of stars of Lewis/Kiriloff/Larnach have been out most of the season. Miranda looks very promising, but he's a rookie. Polanco is having his worst season. Although he's been a bit of a disappointment offensively, they signed a superstar SS in Correa, which never happens here.

It's not like Spielman/Zimmer at all. Turnarounds happen much faster in the NFL and Spielman was here for 16 years. Next year's rotation is setting up to be one of the best in recent Twins history. While the gripes with Rocco are legitimate, Falvey and Levine are not going anywhere. This organization is in a significantly better position today than it was 6 years ago.
Sure it takes time. But 6 years is long enough to see some results, and there are none on the starting pitching front. Our 2023 rotation figures to be 4 guys we traded for and Baily Ober (maybe.) Also, guys like Sonny Gray and Mahle clearly hate being yanked after two times through the order and being managed by spreadsheet decisions made at 2:00 in the afternoon. This is going to become a bigger and bigger problem.

Are they in a better position than 2016? Yes. The game passed Terry Ryan by. Is Falvey one of the top 15 GM's/Presidents in the game? No. He's not the worst either, but we're treading water at best with him at the helm. As for Rocco, I view them as a package deal. I wouldn't let Falvey have another new manager. If one goes, they both go.

The Twins have scored 3 or fewer runs in 58 of 121 games. That's terrible.

Sure it takes time. But 6 years is long enough to see some results, and there are none on the starting pitching front. Our 2023 rotation figures to be 4 guys we traded for and Baily Ober (maybe.) Also, guys like Sonny Gray and Mahle clearly hate being yanked after two times through the order and being managed by spreadsheet decisions made at 2:00 in the afternoon. This is going to become a bigger and bigger problem.

Are they in a better position than 2016? Yes. The game passed Terry Ryan by. Is Falvey one of the top 15 GM's/Presidents in the game? No. He's not the worst either, but we're treading water at best with him at the helm. As for Rocco, I view them as a package deal. I wouldn't let Falvey have another new manager. If one goes, they both go.
They were able to trade for those guys because they had desirable prospects. I agree that the pitching development as a whole hasn't been very good. And I hate that they didn't do more about the bullpen before the season. But overall the development has been pretty good.

There has to be some changes made this offseason. And I think it'll be in the coaching staff.

They were able to trade for those guys because they had desirable prospects. I agree that the pitching development as a whole hasn't been very good. And I hate that they didn't do more about the bullpen before the season. But overall the development has been pretty good.

There has to be some changes made this offseason. And I think it'll be in the coaching staff.
Sure. But they're overall farm system is now ranked in the lower half the of the league. Also, while the 2023 rotation looks decent, Mahle, Gray and Maeda are all free agents after 2023.

There's zero chance Maki is the pitching coach next year, and the hitting coach can't be too safe either.

somebody at some level of this organization has to be asking "why all the injuries?"

I don't believe in luck or coincidences.

up and down this organization, they have pitchers going down with elbow and shoulder injuries.

something is wrong. it could be with strength and conditioning. or it could be an issue with the way they teach pitching mechanics. Or it may have to do with the way they diagnose and treat injuries.

but something is just not right here.

somebody at some level of this organization has to be asking "why all the injuries?"

up and down this organization, they have pitchers going down with elbow and shoulder injuries.

something is wrong. it could be with strength and conditioning. or it could be an issue with the way they teach pitching mechanics. Or it may have to do with the way they diagnose and treat injuries.

I tend to think "ALL of the Above".

Beckham starting in left - he shouldn’t be getting ABs for a team trying to make the playoffs.

Call up Wallner and let him get his feet wet- Mets just called up’s kid Beatty from Triple A who was in Double A 2 weeks ago.

Reusse also gave Celestino some love on the stand podcast saying he was a good outfielder and competent at the dish

Beckham starting in left - he shouldn’t be getting ABs for a team trying to make the playoffs.

Call up Wallner and let him get his feet wet- Mets just called up’s kid Beatty from Triple A who was in Double A 2 weeks ago.

Reusse also gave Celestino some love on the stand podcast saying he was a good outfielder and competent at the dish
I have less problem with Beckham being on the roster than Cave. But in general, get the old useless bench players off the team and call up the kids. They can't be any worse.

I have less problem with Beckham being on the roster than Cave. But in general, get the old useless bench players off the team and call up the kids. They can't be any worse.

I agree, I just flipped when I saw his name listed after he was the DH in a game last week as well.

The kids are the future and many teams are much more aggressive in calling up young prospects - that needs to radically change IMO.

Another bad Twins game. down 5-1 and about to be 4 1/2 behind Cleveland.

That’s on the umps. Rocco went on the mound for a second after all benches cleared. Calling that a mound visit is a judgment call. The TV people saw it because they have a birds eye view of the ump and the ump motions towards the official scorer. Both dugouts had their backs to the ump when he made the call.

That’s 100% on the umps, they should have known the uniqueness of the situation and should have made sure the Twins knew they considered that a mound visit.
But Rocco knew he stepped on the mound and talked to people. If I was him I would have welcomed an early shower to avoid watching Jake Cave strike out for a third time to end the game.

Max Kepler 0-29 then gets two hits to left field to break that streak. I have not watched every game, but I bet he has not hit the ball regardless of the outcome to the left side of the field since then. He can’t be played no matter how many people are hurt as he’s just an automatic out.

I agree, I just flipped when I saw his name listed after he was the DH in a game last week as well.

The kids are the future and many teams are much more aggressive in calling up young prospects - that needs to radically change IMO.
Both Gordon last night and Beckham tonight misplayed balls that every other competent outfield in MLB would have made. I have no idea why they want Beckham up here over Celistino other than Beckham can “play” multiple positions, but he does not play them well.

Maybe it’s too much rest and not letting pitchers throw enough pitches when they start. If what they are doing now isn’t working (keeping people healthy not the winning part) maybe they should do the opposite. It worked for George Costanza.

BUCK BASHING

As bad as the obvious suspects are, I’m putting much of the blame on him.

Per Rand/Ruesse podcast on Monday (8/20) Buck had the following stats for
RISP -
9 for 62 - how may Woofs is this worth @From the Parkinglot
1-20 With 2 Outs - Infinity Woofs

Pat mentioned how inflated the team BA is because of Luis and Jose’s efforts and how this helps mask the overall offensive ineptitude.

My Nonsense -

Buck got sucked into thinking he could hang with Judge - Watched him crush #49 last night that traveled 453 feet.

Buck you ain’t that guy or even a healthy Trout - you need to stay in your lane.

Start situational hitting- it’s your team and you need to set the example by not swinging your azz of every AB.

The hitting coach needs to go as well!
I think he’s been hurt all year and never healthy, which is going to be his normal for the life of the contract. If he did not have serious health concerns with his legs there is no way his agent agrees to that contract with the twins. Don’t bash him too much though as Twitter people will point out his value and WAR this year.

Brilliant!
Reminds me when a super fan at the WA Bullets game held up a sign that said -
Ason Kidd is great (this was Kid’s first year). He was sitting court-side and Kidd saw him and said thanks for the sign, butt you misspelled my first name as it’s Jason.
The guy said no I didn’t cause you don’t got no “J” - Kidd to his credit laughed his ass off and high fives the guy and developed a serviceable “J” by the end of his career ala Magic- he was responsible for more bricks than Wally in his first few years.

Last edited:

Brilliant!
Reminds me when a super fan at the WA Bullets game held up a sign that said -
Ason Kidd is great (this was Kid’s first year). He was sitting court-side and Kidd saw him and said thanks for the sign, butt you misspelled my first name as it’s Jason.
The guy said no I didn’t cause you don’t got no “J” - Kidd to his credit laughed his ass off and high fives the guy and developed a serviceable “J” by the end of his career ala Magic- he was responsible for more bricks than Wally in his first few years.

Funny stuff. They say rims and backboards haven't yet recovered. Are still cringing when JKidd walks into a gym

I think he’s been hurt all year and never healthy, which is going to be his normal for the life of the contract. If he did not have serious health concerns with his legs there is no way his agent agrees to that contract with the twins. Don’t bash him too much though as Twitter people will point out his value and WAR this year.

I’m not a Twitter guy -
My big point was that great/elite hitters understand time/place, ergo situational hitting. Swing from your arse on a hitter’s count, but not when it’s a pitcher’s count - there are more of them than true hitter’s counts IMO. Shorten up and make hard contact, you’ll still put a few over the fence, but you won’t likely hit .143 (6-42 with RISP or .050 (1-20 with RISP with 2 outs) - this is a godawful approach and poor leadership Ny him as the Franchise player. In the beginning of the season when it was him and Judge leading the AL in HRs, he had a very good average and he abandoned it to chase HRs exclusively. twins need to fire a hitting coach who had MLB success, ala Chilli Davis, to call Buck in this nonsense and get him back to being a complete hitter, not our version of Steve Fricking Balboni.

Anyone who only looks at WAR doesn’t understand the nuances of the game and Good is the enemy of Great.

I’m not a Twitter guy -
My big point was that great/elite hitters understand time/place, ergo situational hitting. Swing from your arse on a hitter’s count, but not when it’s a pitcher’s count - there are more of them than true hitter’s counts IMO. Shorten up and make hard contact, you’ll still put a few over the fence, but you won’t likely hit .143 (6-42 with RISP or .050 (1-20 with RISP with 2 outs) - this is a godawful approach and poor leadership Ny him as the Franchise player. In the beginning of the season when it was him and Judge leading the AL in HRs, he had a very good average and he abandoned it to chase HRs exclusively. twins need to fire a hitting coach who had MLB success, ala Chilli Davis, to call Buck in this nonsense and get him back to being a complete hitter, not our version of Steve Fricking Balboni.

Anyone who only looks at WAR doesn’t understand the nuances of the game and Good is the enemy of Great.
Maybe he’s just not that good. There was a stretch where he was doing damage on the first pitch as that maybe the best pitch you see. It appears he is now taking the first pitch for a strike, fouling off a ball to go 0-2, might take a pitch for a ball to make it 1-2 and then swing at an off speed pitch no where near the zone.

Whenever anyone from the twins talks timetables and returning from an injury just know they are lying. If people truly think “reinforcements” are coming I would not bet on it.

Maybe he’s just not that good. There was a stretch where he was doing damage on the first pitch as that maybe the best pitch you see. It appears he is now taking the first pitch for a strike, fouling off a ball to go 0-2, might take a pitch for a ball to make it 1-2 and then swing at an off speed pitch no where near the zone.

Hope you’re wrong as the future will be brutal then.
I’d gladly take 1/3 less homers for a .260 avg.
When watching the Mets and Yanks and their big sticks, Judge and Alonso both have over 100 Ribeyes and their 2nd leaders gave more than the Twins leaders, Rizxo 68 and Lindor 84.

We are so far from them bro, it makes my head spin.

it's frustrating watching this lineup.

But, I have to remind myself that, if this team was even reasonably healthy, Cave, Beckham, etc would not be in the lineup. they wouldn't be on the major-league roster.

just checked - players on the IL in some fashion for MN
Stashak
Paddack
Dobnak
Larnach
Alcala
Lewis
Jhon Romero
Jeffers
Ober
Sano
Buxton
Kirilloff
Garlick
Maeda
Winder
Coulombe
Sands
Mahle

if those players were healthy, I'm NOT saying the Twins would be a powerhouse. but they would certainly be better.

Hope you’re wrong as the future will be brutal then.
I’d gladly take 1/3 less homers for a .260 avg.
When watching the Mets and Yanks and their big sticks, Judge and Alonso both have over 100 Ribeyes and their 2nd leaders gave more than the Twins leaders, Rizxo 68 and Lindor 84.

We are so far from them bro, it makes my head spin.
I can only imagine how disruptive Buxton could be getting on base at a .375 clip.

Cleveland losing for a change. A Twins win tonight would be really nice.

I know it’s a small thing but in todays MLB why do we have Kepler and Gordon batting back to back in the line-up? Relieves have to face two people and you bay two lefties back to back? Plus Kepler is not exactly an elite hitter. Not to mention you have Gordon batting 5 and Kepler 6. Again won’t make of break it but just seems like Urshela could bat 6 and Kepler 7 just to split the lefties and move Kepler down in the lineup even more.

Top Bottom