All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

No matter how much you get Buxton off his feet he gets banged up. There is a difference between injured and hurt, so we shall see how long this lasts.
Which is why he should play when he's available. And his last several injuries have all occurred batting or running the bases, so DH'ing him is a waste.

Which is why he should play when he's available. And his last several injuries have all occurred batting or running the bases, so DH'ing him is a waste.
100% agree. Like I love the pressure he puts on the defense by sprinting down the line, but maybe on a routine two hopper you run 90% and just accept you’re gonna be out.

If he’s fine then why the hell can’t he play. It’s baseball you won’t feel 100% every day of the year. 80% of Buxton is better than the other options at center field or DH.

I didn't watch the game because it wasn't available down here, but saw a highlight. I really dig those powder/baby blue unis. Reminds me of when I was a kid.

Oh, by the way, nice win boys.

If he’s fine then why the hell can’t he play. It’s baseball you won’t feel 100% every day of the year. 80% of Buxton is better than the other options at center field or DH.
The new way of thinking is it’s better to miss a few games and get back to close to 100% than play at 80-90% for a long period of time. For some injuries, the only way to get back healthy is to rest. I think there are certain circumstances where they just have to “play through it” but this probably isn’t it.

The new way of thinking is it’s better to miss a few games and get back to close to 100% than play at 80-90% for a long period of time. For some injuries, the only way to get back healthy is to rest. I think there are certain circumstances where they just have to “play through it” but this probably isn’t it.
Yes, I agree 100%. Rest the most important player for his team. Wait until a million dollars worth of trainers say its ok.

How often will you feel 100% during a 162 game season where you will play 10-12 days straight? Resting him has not kept him healthy this year, DHing has not kept him healthy, eventually you just have to decide you can’t keep him feeling 100% all year. But they won’t do that so he rests and sits and then hurts himself running the bases.

On twitter, a reporter said Buxton has tried several different therapies including Acupuncture.

a few other updates:
Larnach on the IL with a "lower-body" issue that supposedly flared up after a throw to home plate. Not considered to be serious.

Correa is hoping to be able to swing the bat, but probably will not be back for Tuesday's game.

on the plus side, Polanco is starting to hit, and Celestino has been a very pleasant surprise. He's hitting over .300 and appears to be a solid fielder.

Stashak also had a decent outing today.

How often will you feel 100% during a 162 game season where you will play 10-12 days straight? Resting him has not kept him healthy this year, DHing has not kept him healthy, eventually you just have to decide you can’t keep him feeling 100% all year. But they won’t do that so he rests and sits and then hurts himself running the bases.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but each injury this year has been something different. Their point in him sitting out for several games in row hasn’t been to prevent a new injury, but to make sure the existing one doesn’t linger or get worse.

This approach isn’t surprising. The front office and coaching staff are conservative with playing time. Everyone besides Polanco has had regular scheduled days off. It’s something Rocco talked about as far back as his first press conference after he was hired.

It’s a bummer Larnach got hurt. He’d been playing well. Also really impressed with Celestino recently.

It’s going to be interesting to see how they juggle the active roster going forward. Miranda and Lewis have shown so far they belong but at the same time you want them playing everyday. I’m really surprised Lewis didn’t get anytime at 3B at St Paul this year. I know he’s played there a bit in the past but it’s been a few years.

I just don't think the Twins decision makers can be that stupid to rest him/DH only without some justification. There must be some injury(s) or ailments guiding the philosophy, or just flat out his past track record.

Twins are winning, in 1st place and backups/call-ups are proving worthy in the short term. Seems odd to be criticizing it right now. If Buxton can get fully healthy and demonstrate he is handling the workload, then by all means they should ramp up his time in the lineup playing CF.

If they were being forced to rely on the likes if Jake Cave to pick up the slack, I would reevaluate my opinion.

I just don't think the Twins decision makers can be that stupid to rest him/DH only without some justification. There must be some injury(s) or ailments guiding the philosophy, or just flat out his past track record.

Twins are winning, in 1st place and backups/call-ups are proving worthy in the short term. Seems odd to be criticizing it right now. If Buxton can get fully healthy and demonstrate he is handling the workload, then by all means they should ramp up his time in the lineup playing CF.

If they were being forced to rely on the likes if Jake Cave to pick up the slack, I would reevaluate my opinion.

Good post.

Buck has changed his body to be as strong and resilient as possible and they play him much deeper than when he was younger. He simply may just have a propensity to getting “nicked up.”

I’m more worried about him playing regularly later on in the season and for the playoffs then at this point, If they feel this type of approach/management is best, so be it.

They were smart enough to realize while Jax doesn’t have starting quality stuff, it doesn’t work for a hitter’s second/third AB seeing it, it is good enough to make him a weapon as a reliever. I think we’ve seen that they get fat more right than they do wrong overall. Last year was an outlier IMO - they got roasted and rightfully s, but if you’re gonna roast, you have to praise as well, when earned.

If you give me a team that wins 3 division titles in four seasons with one clunker if a season in the middle, I’m happy with that.

Last edited:

Pagan is quite a tightrope act. I would think a manager like Gene Mauch would go through a pack of cigs every outing.
The guy has blown more than 30% of his save chances in his career. They need another option, he's about to run out of hail marys.

The guy has blown more than 30% of his save chances in his career. They need another option, he's about to run out of hail marys.
Pagan's failures were a significant part in getting Jayce Tingler run out as Padres skipper. Tingler is the one in Baldelli's seat as he out with COVID.

I'm guessing it has to be a Groundhog's Day feeling for Tingler just taking place a few time zones over from San Diego.

I would think they'd be able to go out and get a veteran like David Robertson for pretty cheap.

some of the bullpen usage has been .......odd.

to the untrained eye, Duran clearly has the best stuff in the pen. And yet, it seems like they want him to go two innings at a time - which means he can't pitch the next day.

I think they really miss Alcala. he was the only other guy they had who could really throw hard. But he's on the 60-day IL, so who knows if or when he'll come back.

If Pagan is going to be the closer, I may have to schedule a dentist appointment. Because I'm going to wear out my crowns from grinding my teeth together.

Top Bottom