All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I don't get it. That indicates to me they think Correa will opt out after this season I guess. Because it doesn't make sense for him to play only SS if they think Correa is going to be around for a few seasons.
Does anyone think Correa is staying?

Does anyone think Correa is staying?
I don’t see it as a yes or maybe, but possible, sure. He’s still only 30 when his three year deal expires, do he can go get another late deal then or stay here for 2 years and opt of the third year.

If they bring Duran into a 10 run game I will lose what little of my sanity I have left.

The A’s just had a freaking position player pitch and the twins are gonna use their best reliever in a 10 run game. Begs the question why the hell he couldn’t pitch an inning yesterday as opposed to asking Winder to throw 78 pitches something he probably has not done this year. This bullpen usage is interesting.

If they bring Duran into a 10 run game I will lose what little of my sanity I have left.

The A’s just had a freaking position player pitch and the twins are gonna use their best reliever in a 10 run game. Begs the question why the hell he couldn’t pitch an inning yesterday as opposed to asking Winder to throw 78 pitches something he probably has not done this year. This bullpen usage is interesting.
That coupled with keeping Buxton in the game after preaching how careful they plan to be with him has me agreeing with Carlos Correa.
I certainly do not understand baseball.

So Lewis has dreamed his whole life of being in the show. He arrives, does exceedingly well, and has the time of his life.

A wonderful way to start his major league career and then is told he is going back to St. Paul.

I think it would be really difficult for a 22 yr old kid to process that. Lewis plays with a spark and joy that can be infectious to the team, why would the twins douse that and demote him.

Personally I am really disappointed with the twins decision.

(I get the needs reps at short angle, but more harm is done to both lewis and the team by sending him down imo.)

Ah the second guessing/ the lame azz hobby of the Monday Morning QBs.
How about all the deals moves made this year that have us in first place as we close in on 25% of the season being completed - most people are negative and that’s why positive news never leads the telecast or is front page.

Rogers deal is terrible as of today. Of course, if Roger’s blows out his elbow tomorrow, then it becomes a good deal, I guess.

I get sometimes you have to bring in a guy just to get some work in, but like you said why not last night? I was shocked to find out this morning that Winder went out for another inning. He hasn’t looked that good and they had their heart of the order coming up I believe. I also read they didn’t even have someone warming up right away. It’s like they just decide some games that they’re not going to try as hard to win.

Ah the second guessing/ the lame azz hobby of the Monday Morning QBs.
How about all the deals moves made this year that have us in first place as we close in on 25% of the season being completed - most people are negative and that’s why positive news never leads the telecast or is front page.
All I wanted to post was he had Tommy John and it was the first tweet I saw with the info. Yes the rest of it is not great from Bob.

Although I personally am not a huge fan or the deal, but I suppose the only reason Paddock was available was due to some injury concern.

I get sometimes you have to bring in a guy just to get some work in, but like you said why not last night? I was shocked to find out this morning that Winder went out for another inning. He hasn’t looked that good and they had their heart of the order coming up I believe. I also read they didn’t even have someone warming up right away. It’s like they just decide some games that they’re not going to try as hard to win.
Yeah I get work and the last time Duran worked was on the 14th when he pitched a scoreless 9th.

The problem is how the twins use the bullpen. So many guys are only used for 1 inning in AAA that they are not used to going more innings. Then you bring a guy in like Winder who doesn’t pitch back to back innings very often and ask him to go 4 innings in the majors. If that’s the role you want and it appears you need that role given the short leashes on staring pitching then send Winder to AAA and have him work on pitching 3-4 innings every time he comes out of the pen.

Yes sometimes it seems like Rocco and whoever is helping them make decisions have a plan and come hell or high water that plan will be followed through even if it mean going with less then optimal players ins situations.

Yeah I get work and the last time Duran worked was on the 14th when he pitched a scoreless 9th.

The problem is how the twins use the bullpen. So many guys are only used for 1 inning in AAA that they are not used to going more innings. Then you bring a guy in like Winder who doesn’t pitch back to back innings very often and ask him to go 4 innings in the majors. If that’s the role you want and it appears you need that role given the short leashes on staring pitching then send Winder to AAA and have him work on pitching 3-4 innings every time he comes out of the pen.

Yes sometimes it seems like Rocco and whoever is helping them make decisions have a plan and come hell or high water that plan will be followed through even if it mean going with less then optimal players ins situations.
Winder actually just started a few games and has gone at least 3.1 innings in every appearance but one. You must be mixing him up with someone else.

I’m more frustrated with how little a guy like Joe Smith gets in the game. He’s been really good but they’re being extremely conservative with his work.

Smeltzer getting the start on Friday’s opener at KC - hope he does well and makes a case to stick with the team or maybe take Bundy’s spot when Ober returns.

Next 15 are against KC & Det. We lead Chi by 3.5 and Clev by 4.5 - want to see us go 10-5 in this stretch and push lead closer to double digits before we square off with those beasts from the East.

As Yogi quipped, “It gets late early.” Time to seize the division and our destiny.

Last edited:

So Lewis has dreamed his whole life of being in the show. He arrives, does exceedingly well, and has the time of his life.

A wonderful way to start his major league career and then is told he is going back to St. Paul.

I think it would be really difficult for a 22 yr old kid to process that. Lewis plays with a spark and joy that can be infectious to the team, why would the twins douse that and demote him.

(I get the needs reps at short angle, but more harm is done to both lewis and the team by sending him down imo.)

I think Lewis also understands how the MLB works and that he's currently behind one of the best SS in baseball. He and the team will be just fine.

Smeltzer getting the start on Friday’s opener at KC - hope he does well and makes a case to stick with the team or maybe take Bundy’s spot when Ober returns.

Next 15 are against KC & Det. We lead Chi by 3.5 and Clev by 4.5 - want to see us go 10-5 in this stretch and push lead closer to double digits before we square off with those beasts from the East.

As Yogi quipped, “It gets late early.” Time to seize the division and our destiny.
In about a week and a half they'll have to go down to 13 pitchers. I'm guessing then they'll go back to a 5 man rotation. My guess then is then Winder or Smeltzer get sent back down (assuming Ober is back by then which I think he will be). It's nice having one of them up so you can piggy back one of them with Bundy or Archer if they have a short start.

Going from 12 to 13 position players will also help the chances of Lewis being called back up soon.

the bullpen usage seems to be based on some formula which tracks how often guys pitch and how many pitches they throw. Duran had not worked in a couple of days + day off Thursday = get him an inning of work.

On Winder, Rocco had one of those long, wandering answers that basically came down to: "There were a lot of guys we didn't want to use, so we left Winder out there to take one for the team."

one hopefully positive note;

Kirilloff on Weds for St. Paul went 4 for 6 with a 2B, a HR and 3 RBI. If he can get it going again, he can come up and be part of the 1B/DH rotation. Larnach is going to do a rehab stint and he could also be back soon, so Miranda can go back to AAA and try to figure some things out.

Oh -on Paddack, every thing I've read indicates he had the 'newer' form of Tommy John surgery which has a recovery time of 9 months to 1 year. So, assuming all goes well, he could be back next Spring. And Kenta Maeda is also due back late this year, so there will be a lot of pitching options for '23.

If Lewis can’t handle heing sent down, he cannot handle Major league baseball. No harm at all will be done to Lewis. Anyone that fragile is absolutely garbage after a few months.

He played well, but not that well. He has a ton of stuff to address. He needs to play everyday.

This is a game of adjustments. The league will adjust to him, and he will regress.

I think if he was ready for multiple positions (CF, 3B, SS), he could work spelling Buxton and correa. He hasn’t even played a long season yet. He needs to work on the long term consistency stuff (emotions, taking care of the body,etc).

If Lewis can’t handle heing sent down, he cannot handle Major league baseball. No harm at all will be done to Lewis. Anyone that fragile is absolutely garbage after a few months.

He played well, but not that well. He has a ton of stuff to address. He needs to play everyday.

This is a game of adjustments. The league will adjust to him, and he will regress.

I think if he was ready for multiple positions (CF, 3B, SS), he could work spelling Buxton and correa. He hasn’t even played a long season yet. He needs to work on the long term consistency stuff (emotions, taking care of the body,etc).

Disagree. Lewis played center at afl, so could play center 2 times a week. 1 start at short, 2 starts at third, 1 start at dh. Could also play left. Gordon's first start in the outfield was at the major league level. If he is sent down it should be because he deserves it. He didn't.

I'm not sure about falvey/lavine. Also, they knew about the paddack situation and yet traded for him.

Disagree. Lewis played center at afl, so could play center 2 times a week. 1 start at short, 2 starts at third, 1 start at dh. Could also play left. Gordon's first start in the outfield was at the major league level. If he is sent down it should be because he deserves it. He didn't.

I'm not sure about falvey/lavine. Also, they knew about the paddack situation and yet traded for him.

You don't turn #1 picks and potential future stars into MLB utility players when they are 22 and haven't played for 2 years.

The Garcia mess is the only other whiff I see.

Pressley for Alcala & Centerino had a slow start, but at least one at a time have been performing. Maybe next year they both can have good years.

Was it really that big of a whiff though? Ynoa looked good for a few starts last year, but has been pretty bad otherwise.

Falvey has done a pretty good job of restocking the minors with pitching prospects and keeping the Twins competitive while doing it.

You don't turn #1 picks and potential future stars into MLB utility players when they are 22 and haven't played for 2 years.

Let the #1 overall pick reach for his potential. We don't need to be so fragile.

If he fails on the merits, would be much easier for him to accept.

I have no doubt he could play multiple positions as we saw in the afl. Next season he will be starting ss.

Ridiculous imo. Also debating is one of the best things about baseball. Lots of different opportunities for that. 🙂

Top Bottom