All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

If Pagan is still on the roster tomorrow, Falvey should resign in shame.
I'm starting to wonder if some sort of ultimatum was issued to the "brain trust" before the season (like win the division/make playoffs or you're toast). Lots of scrambling to make moves right before the season. A very un-Twins-like active trade deadline.

I'm starting to wonder if some sort of ultimatum was issued to the "brain trust" before the season (like win the division/make playoffs or you're toast). Lots of scrambling to make moves right before the season. A very un-Twins-like active trade deadline.
I would guess the moves right before the season had more to do with the MLB Labor Agreement not getting worked out until early March. There was a freeze from December 1 up to that point. Every team was in a mad scramble. Also the additional Wild Card spot made the post season not such a crazy idea.

Additionally, I think even with the moves they made the Twins brain trust was as surprised as anyone that that where in 1st Place throughout July, and for a brief time even a commanding lead. Personally, I thought best case was that they would be well behind the White Sox, but still would have an outside chance at a Wild Card. Turned out the Sox took a pratfall, and the Twins have been in a pennant race essentially by default.

I know Rogers #'s are bad too, but I still believe if we don't make that trade we have about 4 more wins, including a couple against Cleveland, and are 4 games up. I can't see Jim Pohlad issuing ultimatums but who knows.

They are not going to DFA Pagan and open themselves up to more ridicule for the trade that was made. He will simply pitch out the season and be let go on the last possible day before the 2023 season starts.

On a related note I wonder if the twins ever wondered why Pagan was available in a trade. The Padres are in a win now mode and want nothing more than a World Series. Why would they make an important bullpen arm available for a trade.

The answer is he was terrible in 2021 and basically single handedly responsible for them missing the playoffs in 2022. So basically the twins traded for Pagan who was viewed as a scrap head rebuild project and it cost them $6million. Not great.

They are not going to DFA Pagan and open themselves up to more ridicule for the trade that was made. He will simply pitch out the season and be let go on the last possible day before the 2023 season starts.

On a related note I wonder if the twins ever wondered why Pagan was available in a trade. The Padres are in a win now mode and want nothing more than a World Series. Why would they make an important bullpen arm available for a trade.

The answer is he was terrible in 2021 and basically single handedly responsible for them missing the playoffs in 2022. So basically the twins traded for Pagan who was viewed as a scrap head rebuild project and it cost them $6million. Not great.
Too late for that. They deserve to be ridiculed for it. And every game he pitches brings more.

You can't tender him a contract in the off-season. He's 3rd year arbitration next year and will probably get $4-5 million despite his terrible #'s. Paying that much for a bad reliever is insane. If you're going to non-tender him, there's no reason not to just DFA him right now.

Too late for that. They deserve to be ridiculed for it. And every game he pitches brings more.

You can't tender him a contract in the off-season. He's 3rd year arbitration next year and will probably get $4-5 million despite his terrible #'s. Paying that much for a bad reliever is insane. If you're going to non-tender him, there's no reason not to just DFA him right now.
That’s not what they do. Sano is no different they could have just let him leave when he can back from the injury and they did not. Instead they found a roster spot for him and he played 3 games before going on the IR for the rest of the year. This front office does simply not cut bait with anyone, at least not right away they wait until the last possible moment.

That’s not what they do. Sano is no different they could have just let him leave when he can back from the injury and they did not. Instead they found a roster spot for him and he played 3 games before going on the IR for the rest of the year. This front office does simply not cut bait with anyone, at least not right away they wait until the last possible moment.
They did it with Duffy and he was objectively less terrible than Pagan and had been with the team for 7 years.

Pagan does not deserve to be in the big leagues

old guy post:

every single season, on every team in baseball, there is always one pitcher who the fans hate.

May be a starter, may be a reliever, but there is always one pitcher the fans hate.

and then that pitcher gets traded or released, and the fans find a new pitcher to hate for the next season.

every year - every team.

so if the Twins dump Pagan, I promise you that the fans will choose another pitcher to hate.

They did it with Duffy and he was objectively less terrible than Pagan and had been with the team for 7 years.
Duffy was measurably worse in both contact % and spin rates. Duffy is a FA at the end of the season while Pagan has ARB next season. It’s close but they are still different.

old guy post:

every single season, on every team in baseball, there is always one pitcher who the fans hate.

May be a starter, may be a reliever, but there is always one pitcher the fans hate.

and then that pitcher gets traded or released, and the fans find a new pitcher to hate for the next season.

every year - every team.

so if the Twins dump Pagan, I promise you that the fans will choose another pitcher to hate.
Pagan is historically bad...its beyond a love/hate thing with the fans...his stats are BRUTAL

old guy post:

every year - every team.

That brings to mind Ron Davis. Eventually he was jettisoned by the Twins to the Cubs for George Frazier and Ray Fontenot in 1986. I happened to be in Chicago when the trade happened, and tuned into the Sports Writers Show.

Old timer Ben Bentley was asked his views one the transaction, to which he stated, "It's like trading 1 bag of manure for 2 bags of manure."

It turned out to be an astute assessment of the situation. Frazier wound up being as bad as Davis though he did get a ring on the '87 Twins.

Miranda is the exception to the preceding post. He is something. Don't understand why he isn't getting serious roy consideration

Just turned an awesome triple play.

Now if the Twins could hit the ball with runners on base.....

Can we please get rid of Tim Beckham and send him back to AAA. He clearly has no business being the MLB.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Less than ideal to lose 3 straight to Texas before going to Houston and then playing San Fran and Boston at home. Could be an ugly 3-6 period coming which would be 4-9 with the Texas series.

Texas tossed out three straight middling to below average starting pitchers and the Twins managed to put up four runs in those three games. Downright bad. Doesn't help when your bottom of the order (Beckham and Leon) are as good as automatic outs.

Twins are 6th in AL in runs scored and 9th in AL in era. Average of those two numbers is 7.5, smack dab in the middle of the 15 team AL.

Maybe that's what we are. Average. 7th or 8th best in the league.

It's beyond time to send Rocco packing. The terrible in game pitching management and the extreme shifts that leave whole halves of the infield open have me scratching my head regularly.

Lifeless.

Again....some would look at this and say "bad luck". I look at this and say....Rocco doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Kepler has an August BA of .122 and an even more alarming OBP of .157. Yet Rocco tosses him smack dab in the middle (fifth) of the lineup to squander scoring opportunities from the top of the lineup guys getting on base. Meanwhile.....Nick Gordon is batting seventh?

I mean.....it's almost as though Rocco is actively trying to tank games.

Season teetering on being over. Will be a 6 game losing streak after Houston and probably 4 + out. Fire Falvey and Rocco after the season. They will never win anything with those two leading things.

Season teetering on being over. Will be a 6 game losing streak after Houston and probably 4 + out. Fire Falvey and Rocco after the season. They will never win anything with those two leading things.
Was saying the same thing in May, but you would disagree.

Glad you finally came around to my way of thinking.

And yes, you can see this post. LMAO

6 effing runs in 4 games against the Rangers. At home to boot

Looks like I had to come here to agree with one of your posts. They both need to go

Maybe try this lineup?

Arraez
Urshela
Gordon
Miranda
Polanco
Correa
Sanchez
Kepler
Celestino

I assume Buxton will be out awhile.

Maybe try this lineup?

Arraez
Urshela
Gordon
Miranda
Polanco
Correa
Sanchez
Kepler
Celestino

I assume Buxton will be out awhile.
Seems better than what they've been trying. Drawing it out of a hat would be an upgrade at this point.

Was saying the same thing in May, but you would disagree.

Glad you finally came around to my way of thinking.

And yes, you can see this post. LMAO
So you're bragging about saying the season being over in May yet here the Twins are in late August only 2 games out?!?

Rocco cannot go out there and pitch or hit for the players.

and given that players have guaranteed contracts, there isn't a lot that clubs can use to "threaten" players to perform.

If Falvey, Levine and Rocco sat Kepler down and said, "hit the bleeping ball to left field or we cut your a**," Kepler can just respond with, "fine - mail my check to this address."

I agree that what they're doing is not working. makes the Wes Johnson decision to bolt in mid-season look more "interesting." I have a lot of questions about this coaching staff.

and - to be fair - the injuries have been a huge problem. But - what are they doing to change that in terms of injury prevention and diagnosis?

in the end, it comes down to this: where does Jim Pohlad draw the line? how much rope do Falvey and Levine get before some major changes take place?

So you're bragging about saying the season being over in May yet here the Twins are in late August only 2 games out?!?
Not bragging about anything.

This guy can be an ass, and if I complained about anything in May, he'd say check the standings or it's a long season.

I'm reminding him to practice what he preaches. He's now saying the exact same things.

Let me know if you need more clarification. Or, if you like, just look back in this thread.

Last edited:

It's beyond time to send Rocco packing. The terrible in game pitching management and the extreme shifts that leave whole halves of the infield open have me scratching my head regularly.

Again....some would look at this and say "bad luck". I look at this and say....Rocco doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Kepler has an August BA of .122 and an even more alarming OBP of .157. Yet Rocco tosses him smack dab in the middle (fifth) of the lineup to squander scoring opportunities from the top of the lineup guys getting on base. Meanwhile.....Nick Gordon is batting seventh?

I mean.....it's almost as though Rocco is actively trying to tank games.
Buxton should have gotten kicked out last night with the way he was jawing at the ump (it was probably deserved, those "strike" calls were bad). Rocco just sits in the dugout shaking his head. No leadership skills whatsoever.

Top Bottom