All Things 2022 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

That's a fault on him. Terrible offensive game.
Then lets have the lead. How would you have liked him with our 20 and 25 points leads against Memphis.

Game, set, match, is what that would have been.

Our interior defense was GAWD AWFUL. An absolute embarrassment.

Not anymore! You could score at will against us.

This is an awful trade.

You can't trade for gobert when you have no idea if towns can play the 4 ( he cant).

In the small ball era, towns needs to be your center. If he falls short and can't rebound or defend the way you need, you move on with him. You don't double down with a massive contract

This is an awful trade.

You can't trade for gobert when you have no idea if towns can play the 4 ( he cant).

In the small ball era, towns needs to be your center. If he falls short and can't rebound or defend the way you need, you move on with him. You don't double down with a massive contract
Who played the 4 for us last year?

This is an awful trade.

Do the opposite. If everyone else goes small. Why not go big?

Going big has advantages.

Do the opposite. If everyone else goes small. Why not go big?

Going big has advantages.
The part I like about this is whenever Towns went out last year or got into stupid foul trouble, we got annihilated on the boards. We literally had no chance.

They will have Towns or Gobert on the floor at almost all times. I think this cuts down on those massive runs the other teams would go on.

The part I like about this is whenever Towns went out last year or got into stupid foul trouble, we got annihilated on the boards. We literally had no chance.

They will have Towns or Gobert on the floor at almost all times. I think this cuts down on those massive runs the other teams would go on.
Absolutely. Assume each plays 34 minutes a game. One of the two will almost always be on the floor. That means they're playing 20 minutes together, less than half the game.

He sits on the bench at end of games. At least he did for the Jazz. Not a fan. He still is top 3 defensive player but waaay overpriced imo.
He’s in his prime and under a long term deal and the best defensive center in the league. KAT at the 4 makes sense to me, he can float around the 3 point line even more now. It seems like we gave up a lot because of the mass of players and picks but they’re all role players and late first round picks. Nowell will fill Beasleys role and Anderson helps offset the loss of Vanderbilt. I LOVE this trade we just got instantly better.

He’s in his prime and under a long term deal and the best defensive center in the league. KAT at the 4 makes sense to me, he can float around the 3 point line even more now. It seems like we gave up a lot because of the mass of players and picks but they’re all role players and late first round picks. Nowell will fill Beasleys role and Anderson helps offset the loss of Vanderbilt. I LOVE this trade we just got instantly better.
It’s the picks… otherwise, the players won’t be missed that much. 2 picks, maybe, 3 no way.

Even still, I do find it far more interesting next year.

It’s the picks… otherwise, the players won’t be missed that much. 2 picks, maybe, 3 no way.

Even still, I do find it far more interesting next year.
Like someone mentioned earlier, we can always trade for a late first rounder in the future.

Agreed though, next year just got very interesting.

This franchise has been using top 10 picks to land guys like Jarret Culver for decades. I got no problem with this trade. I’m not a big fan of trading picks in the other leagues, but have a much less problem in the NBA. Odds are only 2 of the 4 picks will be decent and at best 1 of them turn out to be above average. Swing for the fences.

I wonder if Rudy brings leadership skills.

Is he the type of guy that will motivate and boost other guys defensive skill sets?

I wonder if Rudy brings leadership skills.

Is he the type of guy that will motivate and boost other guys defensive skill sets?
Great question I really don’t know the answer. But hopefully his defensive effort rubs off some other guys. He’ll be the most veteran player in the starting line up so hopefully he takes on a leadership role if it’s in his DNA.

That's a fault on him. Terrible offensive game.
Isn’t Gobert the most efficient scorer in the NBA the last couple years? I thought he was shooting 2 and almost 70% clip?

Don't like the number of Draft Picks, but if they all are 22 on down, not that angry about. Guessing it's how they outbid Chicago for Gobert. As of Tuesday the Bulls were the odds on favorite to get Rudy .

Still wish they got a draft choice or another player back with Gobert, but guessing that to make the salaries match-up they couldn't get another player.

The players?

- People have been rightly ripping Beasley for almost 2 years now. He didn't even really show-up this past season until the calendar turned 2022! Even after that he was streaky as hell. Wonder if/when Russell gets traded we bemoan the loss.

- Vanderbilt? He might turn into a good player yet. Though he's been in the NBA for 4 years now. Last season was good but not great, but it was his best season yet.

- Beverly was a valuable player last season, at least most of the time. Though some people thought that off the court he was as much a negative as a positive. Not me by the way.

- Bolmaro? Number of people were excited when they got him. Nobody was excited with his play on the court. He was just plain awful.

- Thought that Kessler could have turned out to be more than a lumbering, big man. Now we'll find out about it in Utah.

Last edited:

Great question I really don’t know the answer. But hopefully his defensive effort rubs off some other guys. He’ll be the most veteran player in the starting line up so hopefully he takes on a leadership role if it’s in his DNA.
I think some internal improvements (on D) are really what would make this team.

D’Angelo taking another step up + the Gobert boost could be a hell of a force multiplier.

Don't like the number of Draft Picks, but if they all are 22 on down, not that angry about. Guessing it's how they outbid Chicago for Gobert. As of Tuesday the Bulls were the odds on favorite to get Rudy .

Still wish they got a draft choice or another player back with Gobert, but guessing that to make the salaries match-up they couldn't get another player.

The players?

- People have been rightly ripping Beasley for almost 2 years now. He didn't even really show-up this past season until the calendar turned 2022! Even after that he was streaky as hell. Wonder if/when Russell gets traded we bemoan the loss.

- Vanderbilt? He might turn into a good player yet. Though he's been in the NBA for 4 years now and last season wasn't great, it was his best season yet.

- Beverly was a valuable player last season, at least most of the time. Though some people thought that off the court he was as much a negative as a positive. Not me by the way.

- Bolmaro? Number of people were excited when they got him. Nobody was excited with his play on the court. He was just plain awful.

- Thought that Kessler could have turned out to be more than a lumbering, big man. Now we'll find out about it in Utah.
A pretty good point. I’m attached to some of the guys more emotionally cause I liked watching em.

Pat Bev might be the one that hurts. Maybe utah will cut him cause he’ll offend too many season ticket holders😜.

I think some internal improvements (on D) are really what would make this team.

D’Angelo taking another step up + the Gobert boost could be a hell of a force multiplier.
At this point I don’t have a lot of faith in DLo playing defense. He just doesn’t care to.

The contract bugs me more than the picks.

You only get so many opportunities if you're a team like MN, so I don't mind going all in right now. If it works out decently those are all late 1sts which are incredibly easy to obtain. If it doesn't, we'll just blow it all up by trading our big pieces for draft picks. Id rather have McDaniels than at least 2 of those first round picks.

It'll be fun so I'll just try to talk myself into it. We got a winshare top 5 player in the league without giving up KAT, DLo, Ant or McDaniels.

Isn’t Gobert the most efficient scorer in the NBA the last couple years? I thought he was shooting 2 and almost 70% clip?
Yes, it's a lot of dunks, etc. But he averages 16 points per game on 70% shooting. Last year he only took 8 shots per game, that is awesome. With KAT and ANT, that should easily continue. He can get you some easy buckets, which are always good.

At this point I don’t have a lot of faith in DLo playing defense. He just doesn’t care to.
This is a contract year, so he will at least try if he's still here.

He is just soft defensively.

I'd love to get a point guard who can play defense. With Gobert, McDaniels, and a point guard who plays defense, we could almost be somewhat smothering on defense at times. Edwards can play great defense when motivated or wanting, too.

I also think the front office thinks they have something in our other two picks this year. That greatly softens the blow of losing some future 1st rounders.

Then lets have the lead. How would you have liked him with our 20 and 25 points leads against Memphis.

Game, set, match, is what that would have been.

Our interior defense was GAWD AWFUL. An absolute embarrassment.

Not anymore! You could score at will against us.
True.

This is a contract year, so he will at least try if he's still here.

He is just soft defensively.

I'd love to get a point guard who can play defense. With Gobert, McDaniels, and a point guard who plays defense, we could almost be somewhat smothering on defense at times. Edwards can play great defense when motivated or wanting, too.
I think there is now a higher likelihood he signs an extension.

I think he's a better fit now and the value of him as an expiring (for us) is out the window. Next offseason, we won't have cap space whether or not we resign him - so we might as well resign him.

I think the only way we move him would be for a PG more known for his defense. Brogdon would have been perfect, Smart? Maybe Lonzo Ball?

You gotta try something to get yo the next level, right?
KAT’s window is starting to close - so why not

Top Bottom