All Things 2022 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Woj tweet:

Beasley, Beverley, Kessler, Vanderbilt and multiple 1st-round picks for Gobert.

"sources tell ESPN."

Bring on the Filthy!

and - no move yet on D-Lo.

could there be another move pending.........

Holy Shit wow. here the full deal.

Leandro Bolmaro is also in the deal to the Jazz, source said according to Adrian Wojnarowski.

Adrian Wojnarowski:

The Jazz are landing four Minnesota first-round picks and 2022 first-round pick Walker Kessler in the deal for Rudy Gobert, source tells ESPN.

I like it. Those players are all expendable. Those picks probably won't be very high.

As currently constructed, the bench is strong, and the starting 5 is strong. Easily a top 3 or 4 team in the West.
No idea if the twin tower approach will work. One injury away from back to the lottery and that salary is crazy. Gobert has one of the top 3 worst salaries in the league.

No idea if the twin tower approach will work. One injury away from back to the lottery and that salary is crazy. Gobert has one of the top 3 worst salaries in the league.
You think so? He's one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in the league. He fills a massive hole for the team.

He's also consistently above 10 WAR every year.

I like it. Those players are all expendable. Those picks probably won't be very high.

As currently constructed, the bench is strong, and the starting 5 is strong. Easily a top 3 or 4 team in the West.
If the picks are high, it will be the Seattle/Vegas Wolves problem most likely....

One key injury taking a team out of the playoffs? That probably applies to about 26-27 teams in the NBA. :)

Personally can't believe that the Wolves aren't getting something/someone else along with Gobert. That said, everybody talks about how Defense wins in the playoffs, that is what this trade brings.

One key injury taking a team out of the playoffs? That probably applies to about 26-27 teams in the NBA. :)

Personally can't believe that the Wolves aren't getting something/someone else along with Gobert. That said, everybody talks about how Defense wins in the playoffs, that is what this trade brings.
Precisely. Anderson also easily replaced Vanderbilt.

What they need is more perimeter defense out of their starting guards. Trading D-Lo for the right player could make this team into a contender to win the West.

Precisely. Anderson also easily replaced Vanderbilt.

What they need is more perimeter defense out of their starting guards. Trading D-Lo for the right player could make this team into a contender to win the West.

And a dependable 3pt shooter or two.

Their need for interior defense and rebounding appears to have been solved.

Woj just reminded everybody that when Connelly had his first draft in Denver he traded the pick to Utah. They used it to get Rudy Gobert.

"He got him back now".

Last edited:

Gobert is by some metrics the best defensive player in the NBA.

put him in the middle, and it makes every other player on the team better.

they added Gobert without having to give up McDaniels or D-Lo.

starting lineup as of today:
Gobert
KAT
Ant
McDaniels
DLo.

Bench:
Prince
Anderson
McLaughlin
Nowell
Naz
Moore

that may not be a championship team, but it's definitely a playoff team.

And if you swap D-Lo for another piece.......

Gobert is by some metrics the best defensive player in the NBA.

put him in the middle, and it makes every other player on the team better.

they added Gobert without having to give up McDaniels or D-Lo.

starting lineup as of today:
Gobert
KAT
Ant
McDaniels
DLo.

Bench:
Prince
Anderson
McLaughlin
Nowell
Naz
Moore

that may not be a championship team, but it's definitely a playoff team.

And if you swap D-Lo for another piece.......
That's a really good team.

Utah was insisting that Jaden McDaniels be included. That was a holdup. Some of the first round picks were to be able to keep McDaniels.

They just signed Towns and want to go for it while Towns is in his prime. I'm all for this.

I will add, I liked Bolamaro. I've always liked his defense and slashing. I would have preferred to keep him.

We got one guy back and unloaded a bunch. there has to be more to come.

I think part of the reason that people are put off is that Gobert is far from a sexy, flashy player. But he addresses two massive needs that the team has. Go big (literally) or go home, I guess.

You think so? He's one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in the league. He fills a massive hole for the team.

He's also consistently above 10 WAR every year.
He sits on the bench at end of games. At least he did for the Jazz. Not a fan. He still is top 3 defensive player but waaay overpriced imo.

I'm put off because Gobert's teams die in the playoffs. I'd rather have unproven Kessler at age 20 on a roughly $10-$12M contract than Gobert at age thirty on a $200M contract. The players they gave up individually are not core players. However, collectively they gave the team depth, experience, outside shooting, defense and culture. Finally, don't get me started on four 1sts for thirty year old Rudy Gobert.

The wolves got taken again by Danny Ainge.

That mid level will be very important now. Or did it get used for Anderson?

I'm put off because Gobert's teams die in the playoffs. I'd rather have unproven Kessler at age 20 on a roughly $10-$12M contract than Gobert at age thirty on a $200M contract. The players they gave up individually are not core players. However, collectively they gave the team depth, experience, outside shooting, defense and culture. Finally, don't get me started on four 1sts for thirty year old Rudy Gobert.

The wolves got taken again by Danny Ainge.
Vando, Beasley, and Beverly are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

The wolves rolled the dice and I love it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I know with the previous roster, they were never going to get there.

As far as the 4 first round picks..........we've been in the lottery for 20 years straight and got KAT and ANT out of it. That's basically it. And they were both the number 1 pick.

You can always trade for a first round pick in the 20's if you want.

Also, they have Gobert for 4 years. If it doesn't work, he is off the books and you try again. We were sort of stuck where we were with this roster. They went for it here.

By the way, Gobert would sit at the end of games because they were down and needed 3 pointers to get back in the game.

Utah has had some of the worst perimeter defense one can imagine in the playoffs. Just brutal.

That hopefully is not the case here.

Vando, Beasley, and Beverly are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

The wolves rolled the dice and I love it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I know with the previous roster, they were never going to get there.

As far as the 4 first round picks..........we've been in the lottery for 20 years straight and got KAT and ANT out of it. That's basically it. And they were both the number 1 pick.

You can always trade for a first round pick in the 20's if you want.

Also, they have Gobert for 4 years. If it doesn't work, he is off the books and you try again. We were sort of stuck where we were with this roster. They went for it here.
I'm trying to get on board but can't get over the contract and #of picks. Just not a Rudy fan when he gets taken out of the game in the 4th qtr.

By the way, Gobert would sit at the end of games because they were down and needed 3 pointers to get back in the game.

Utah has had some of the worst perimeter defense one can imagine in the playoffs. Just brutal.

That hopefully is not the case here.
That's a fault on him. Terrible offensive game.

Top Bottom