All Things 2022 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread


kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
No thanks. Not worth it.
Totally worth it.

We should be drafting in the 20's for those picks. If you hit big on one of those three, you'd take it in a heartbeat. Murray would be it hitting big.
 



GopherWeatherGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
11,864
Reaction score
7,219
Points
113
No thanks. Not worth it.

I'm with you on Murray. He's Russell Westbrook lite. A ball dominate PG who can't shoot. He does everything else extremely well. NBA teams win with guards who can shoot.

It doesn't make sense to me for San Antonio to give up a 25 year old All-Star PG just to tank for the chance at a #1 pick next season. They don't view him as their long term PG for a reason.
 


kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
I'm with you on Murray. He's Russell Westbrook lite. A ball dominate PG who can't shoot. He does everything else extremely well. NBA teams win with guards who can shoot.

It doesn't make sense to me for San Antonio to give up a 25 year old All-Star PG just to tank for the chance at a #1 pick next season. They don't view him as their long term PG for a reason.
Just the defense alone is worth it. We had the worst point guard defense in the league last season.

Are you saying keep DLO then?

Murray is a good defender, has good assists, and his game translates to scoring in the playoffs. All the things DLO can't do in the playoffs.

He averaged 21 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists per game. This without a Towns or Ant. I'd expect his assist numbers could even go up.
 

GopherWeatherGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
11,864
Reaction score
7,219
Points
113
Just the defense alone is worth it. We had the worst point guard defense in the league last season.

That's not true. His defense isn't great, but there were worse defenders at the position.

Are you saying keep DLO then?

Murray is a good defender, has good assists, and his game translates to scoring in the playoffs. All the things DLO can't do in the playoffs.

He averaged 21 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists per game. This without a Towns or Ant. I'd expect his assist numbers could even go up.

You need a guard who can shoot and defend. Not one or the other. How many championships has Westbrook won? How about Chris Paul?

Why would a franchise as successful as San Antonio be willing to give up such a young, talented PG? The Spurs trading Murray now would be the equivalent of the Wolves trading KAT two years ago. Some Wolves fans get mad that I think they should trade KAT today, let alone 2 years ago. And he doesn't play D.
 

TruthSeeker

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Messages
6,366
Reaction score
2,802
Points
113
That's not true. His defense isn't great, but there were worse defenders at the position.



You need a guard who can shoot and defend. Not one or the other. How many championships has Westbrook won? How about Chris Paul?

Why would a franchise as successful as San Antonio be willing to give up such a young, talented PG? The Spurs trading Murray now would be the equivalent of the Wolves trading KAT two years ago. Some Wolves fans get mad that I think they should trade KAT today, let alone 2 years ago. And he doesn't play D.
Murray would be a big upgrade over DLo.

We would have competed for the 4 seed last season with Murray instead of DLo.
 

kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
That's not true. His defense isn't great, but there were worse defenders at the position.



You need a guard who can shoot and defend. Not one or the other. How many championships has Westbrook won? How about Chris Paul?

Why would a franchise as successful as San Antonio be willing to give up such a young, talented PG? The Spurs trading Murray now would be the equivalent of the Wolves trading KAT two years ago. Some Wolves fans get mad that I think they should trade KAT today, let alone 2 years ago. And he doesn't play D.
The Spurs are in complete rebuild mode is why.

Why are they asking 3 first rounders if he ain't much? Damn, that seems steep. Many are saying 3 first rounders and a player.

And they aren't trading KAT so they need defense and rebounding.

Also, Murray shot 46 % on the year, Ant shot 43 %. That's with Murray having the target on his back. I can easily envision Murray shooting 48 or 49% while being option 3 instead of option 1.
 
Last edited:



short ornery norwegian

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
14,191
Reaction score
6,516
Points
113
FWIW - the Wolves do not "have" to trade D-Lo this off-season. They can let him play out the contract and have a lot of cap space next summer.

So, Connelly is under no pressure to make a deal right away. If they get a good offer, then take it.

But if they don't get a good offer, then just let things play out. Maybe they get a better offer next season, or they use the cap space to sign a free agent in a year.
 

kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
FWIW - the Wolves do not "have" to trade D-Lo this off-season. They can let him play out the contract and have a lot of cap space next summer.

So, Connelly is under no pressure to make a deal right away. If they get a good offer, then take it.

But if they don't get a good offer, then just let things play out. Maybe they get a better offer next season, or they use the cap space to sign a free agent in a year.
true, but sounds like next years free agent class is rather blah.

They could have a boatload of space next year. They won't resign Beverly at age 35. That's another 14 million.

I even think Beasley is up next year, too.
 

GopherWeatherGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
11,864
Reaction score
7,219
Points
113
Murray would be a big upgrade over DLo.

We would have competed for the 4 seed last season with Murray instead of DLo.

I'm not saying he's not. Is Murray the longterm solution at PG? San Antonio doesn't think so, why should we? Or are we just happy being the 4th or 5th seed every year and don't really care about trying to win a championship?
 

GopherWeatherGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
11,864
Reaction score
7,219
Points
113
The Spurs are in complete rebuild mode is why.

Why are they asking 3 first rounders if he ain't much? Damn, that seems steep. Many are saying 3 first rounders and a player.

And they aren't trading KAT so they need defense and rebounding.

Also, Murray shot 46 % on the year, Ant shot 43 %. That's with Murray having the target on his back. I can easily envision Murray shooting 48 or 49% while being option 3 instead of option 1.

He's 25. He could be their PG for the next 7-10 years and they can rebuild around him. 3 first rounders in the 20s isn't that much.
 



kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
I'm not saying he's not. Is Murray the longterm solution at PG? San Antonio doesn't think so, why should we? Or are we just happy being the 4th or 5th seed every year and don't really care about trying to win a championship?
He's not a number one. He's a two or three.

So what's your plan instead?

Keeping in mind it's a weak free agent market next year and they don't sign here anyway.
 



jamiche

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
23,301
Reaction score
3,569
Points
113
Wow! That is exactly what I thought he deserved.
I think it's a good signing. He's a very good value at $8M/year.

I also really like the draft picks. They went for the boring stuff: defense, rebounding and shot blocking. I really, really like the Minott selection at 45. He's a crazy, good athlete coming to a very athletic league. He's obviously very raw, but there is a lot to work with. There's an 80% chance he doesn't make it. However, the 20% chance represents something very high.
 

TruthSeeker

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Messages
6,366
Reaction score
2,802
Points
113
I think it's a good signing. He's a very good value at $8M/year.

I also really like the draft picks. They went for the boring stuff: defense, rebounding and shot blocking. I really, really like the Minott selection at 45. He's a crazy, good athlete coming to a very athletic league. He's obviously very raw, but there is a lot to work with. There's an 80% chance he doesn't make it. However, the 20% chance represents something very high.
Agreed.

Minott will play in the G League. If he makes it great. If not, oh well. Low risk, high reward
 

BleedGopher

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
55,633
Reaction score
6,788
Points
113
Resigned T Prince. 8 mil per, 2 yrs. 2nd year not gaurunteed.

His comments in the strib are worth the read.


"You got 10, pretty much 15 guys that are on the same page at all times whether on the court or off the court, hanging out and stuff. You don't get that. I really haven't felt that since college," Prince said in April. "That's a big step. And obviously, coach Finch, he's kind of the same as Bud [Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer], who I had my first three years. Similar type of style of play, which benefits myself and everybody who plays for those type of coaches."

Howl Wolves!!
 

JimmyJamesMD

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
10,938
Reaction score
2,876
Points
113
"You got 10, pretty much 15 guys that are on the same page at all times whether on the court or off the court, hanging out and stuff. You don't get that. I really haven't felt that since college," Prince said in April. "That's a big step. And obviously, coach Finch, he's kind of the same as Bud [Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer], who I had my first three years. Similar type of style of play, which benefits myself and everybody who plays for those type of coaches."

Howl Wolves!!
Culture is so important for teams sports at all levels
 

Iceland12

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
21,981
Reaction score
638
Points
113
The Atlanta Hawks are trading forward Danilo Gallinari and three first-round picks to the San Antonio Spurs for All-Star guard Dejounte Murray, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Wednesday.

The Hawks are sending a 2023 first-round pick via the Charlotte Hornets plus their own 2025 and 2027 first-round picks to the Spurs in the deal, sources told Wojnarowski. The deal also includes a pick swap in 2026, the sources said.

The 2025 and '27 first-rounders are unprotected, a league source told ESPN's Zach Lowe.

The trade gives the Hawks a formidable backcourt with Murray joining All-NBA guard Trae Young..

 

Iceland12

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
21,981
Reaction score
638
Points
113
5:57 p.m. ET: Brooklyn Nets guard Patty Mills declined his $6.2 million option and will become a free agent, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Mills averaged 11.4 points in 81 games for the Nets last season, shooting 40% from 3-point range.

4:41 p.m. ET: Milwaukee Bucks forward Bobby Portis has informed the team that he'll decline his $4.6 million option and become a free agent, his agent Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Bucks have early Bird rights on Portis and can re-sign him to a new deal starting at up to $11 million per season.

4:24 p.m. ET: Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal has declined his $36.4 million option and will become a free agent, his agent Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Beal is eligible to sign a five-year max contract to return to the Wizards, or sign elsewhere on a four-year deal.

12:50 p.m. ET: The NBA's salary cap for the 2022-23 season is projected to come in at roughly $123.6 million, sources told ESPN. That is an $11.6 million increase from last year's salary cap figure of $112 million.

 



TruthSeeker

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Messages
6,366
Reaction score
2,802
Points
113
I think the Wolves are stuck with DLo next season. Maybe we can get Morant in 2023? :)

Actually, Darius Garland could be a nice player to go after.
 

tikited

Me
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
16,044
Reaction score
2,756
Points
113
I think the Wolves are stuck with DLo next season. Maybe we can get Morant in 2023? :)

Actually, Darius Garland could be a nice player to go after.
I don't see a way to get rid of DLo in the off season as well. Trade Beasley and use the mid level and go from there.
 

kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
I think DLO will be gone. They are just waiting for the dust to settle.
 

jamiche

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
23,301
Reaction score
3,569
Points
113
I think DLO will be gone. They are just waiting for the dust to settle.
"Waiting for the dust to settle" is a cliche and it doesn't mean anything. Nobody on this board knows what is going to happen with DLo. Moving him or not moving him in the next month will depend on a series of events that could easily involve roster changes on up to half a dozen other teams. Most of those changes will be wholly unrelated to whatever the wolves are trying to do, but will impact the wolves options.
 

jamiche

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
23,301
Reaction score
3,569
Points
113
I think the Wolves are stuck with DLo next season. Maybe we can get Morant in 2023? :)

Actually, Darius Garland could be a nice player to go after.
TC would sell out every night if Morant ever came here. It's always fun to dream.
 

kg21

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
9,246
Reaction score
3,871
Points
113
"Waiting for the dust to settle" is a cliche and it doesn't mean anything. Nobody on this board knows what is going to happen with DLo. Moving him or not moving him in the next month will depend on a series of events that could easily involve roster changes on up to half a dozen other teams. Most of those changes will be wholly unrelated to whatever the wolves are trying to do, but will impact the wolves options.
Ok, got it.

Everything you just posted on what they will do with DLO is waiting for the dust to settle. LMAO
 




Top Bottom