All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

What NLS did prior to the snap was NOT legal in any way shape or form.
True, as I've already agreed to multiple times now.

Everyone trying to argue it was an illegal shift was wrong, and didn't look at the play closely enough.

bottom line---

there were officials on the field who were being paid to officiate the game and enforce the rules.

in MN, HS officials are evaluated during the year and the 'best' officials are chosen to work the Prep Bowl. I have friends who have officiated Prep Bowls. I know a guy who used to work as an evaluator of officials for the MSHSL.

these people are good officials. they take their jobs seriously.

Someone in that officiating crew was responsible for watching the offense for pre-snap infractions. They did not throw a flag - meaning that either #1. they did not see what happened, or #2, they saw it and did not think it was a violation.

it's over. it's done. the results of the game are final.

time to let it go and put the HS FB season to bed.

all right, now let's talk religion and politics.............
Sorry, but if it was #2 then as a coach I wouldn’t want that crew refereeing any game of mine as they don’t know the rules.
#1 is the only thing that could have happened, which I understand. It’s too bad for DGF and was one heck of a play by NLS. But the one poster who continues to say stupid sh#% like it was ticky tack, didn’t impact the play, etc. he is 100% wrong

Good debate and discussion. Sucks all around. These are high school kids and coaches. Along with high school refs. (and I am sure the ref responsible feels horrible) The call was missed. I'd bet money that the players from DGF will get over it a long time before the coaches and parents will.

If this were the NFL or even NCAA football, game on as far as getting after the refs. Not high school though. Even if you think the state championship game should have the best of the best refs, these guys and gals are still a bunch of teachers, electricians, insurance salesman, etc. who are doing it for a very low amount of money.

Its either an illegal shift or illegal motion. In my opinion, both were violated, but having been on the sidelines for many, many games, illegal shift is called significantly more often than illegal motion.

Violating 7-2-6 is illegal shift
After the huddle or shift, all players of A must come to an absolute stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Violating Rule 7-2-7 is illegal motion
Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent’s goal line. Except for the player “under the snapper,” as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

Most certainly illegal motion, then.

No shift occurred. Two players broke the huddle and started running to the wrong place, realized it, and then went to their correct positions. One set, and one was in motion at the snap, but the latter never got set in the first place.

By definition, a shift is when a player makes a purposeful and obvious change in position in order to change the offensive formation.

If the player wasn't already set, then moved ... it's not a shift, at all? It's just one long continuous movement from the huddle break.
Yeah but the infraction is still called illegal shift still signaled as illegal shift

Its either an illegal shift or illegal motion. In my opinion, both were violated, but having been on the sidelines for many, many games, illegal shift is called significantly more often than illegal motion.

Violating 7-2-6 is illegal shift
After the huddle or shift, all players of A must come to an absolute stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Violating Rule 7-2-7 is illegal motion
Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent’s goal line. Except for the player “under the snapper,” as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.
An illegal motion is an individual penalty. This wasn’t an individual violation
100% illegal shift

Most certainly illegal motion, then.

No shift occurred. Two players broke the huddle and started running to the wrong place, realized it, and then went to their correct positions. One set, and one was in motion at the snap, but the latter never got set in the first place.

By definition, a shift is when a player makes a purposeful and obvious change in position in order to change the offensive formation.
You have no idea what you are talking about. That is an illegal shift 100% of the time.

Just talked to a buddy who is a ref. 100% illegal motion is the correct call.

So that settles that for good and all. Too bad for those who argued incessantly for illegal shift, when no shift ever occurred. Watch the play closer next time, I guess.

Lastly, for posterity: I’m glad the call was missed :)

Yes, of which Chisholm would have the vast majority of votes because it's larger (tyranny of the majority).
I have no idea why he's arguing about this school district. Once again, it's up to the voters. Period. End of story.

I have no idea why he's arguing about this school district. Once again, it's up to the voters. Period. End of story.
In all honesty: why does it bother you so much? You would post things like this if it didn’t.

Just talked to a buddy who is a ref. 100% illegal motion is the correct call.

So that settles that for good and all. Too bad for those who argued incessantly for illegal shift, when no shift ever occurred. Watch the play closer next time, I guess.

Lastly, for posterity: I’m glad the call was missed :)
Your buddy is a shitty ref

In all honesty: why does it bother you so much? You would post things like this if it didn’t.
It shows a fundamental ignorance of how the political entity that is an independent school district actually works. If the voters of the district don't want to consolidate, that's up to them.

7-2-6

Illegal shift

ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift, all players of A shall come to an absolute
stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Anyone who says that is an illegal motion is wrong. If your ref buddy says it’s illegal motion he is a bad ref

7-2-6

Illegal shift

ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift, all players of A shall come to an absolute
stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Anyone who says that is an illegal motion is wrong. If your ref buddy says it’s illegal motion he is a bad ref
It's pointless trying correct The Fool. He should follow the words of Abe, but in most every thread he posts, this would apply.

Abe Lincoln.jpg

So I'm confused....was it an illegal shift or was it an illegal motion....or was it not illegal at all....or was it illegal but shouldn't have called.....or was it illegal and all parties should be tossed in jail....I'm so confused..... :)

holy crap

So I'm confused....was it an illegal shift or was it an illegal motion....or was it not illegal at all....or was it illegal but shouldn't have called.....or was it illegal and all parties should be tossed in jail....I'm so confused..... :)

holy crap
They should be burned at the stake.

holy crap
You made me un-hide some comments.

I now regret doing so, and possibly have come down with a case of stupidz from just reading them.

I blame you.

holy crap
Illegal motion would have been the correct call.

No players performed any shifts. The lower player (who started running up, then realized he was supposed to be on the other side) got set before the snap. The top player (who started running down, then realized he was supposed to be on the other side) never got set, and so was illegally in motion before the snap.

Quite simple, really, if you know what you're talking about and actually look at the play closely before spouting off into a rage.

It shows a fundamental ignorance of how the political entity that is an independent school district actually works. If the voters of the district don't want to consolidate, that's up to them.
I don't see how you can reasonably interpret any of my posts as saying that any kind of rights or power should be ripped away from the MIB district voters. I've said no such thing.

I've said that I think those districts should merge, but never said it should be forced upon them. Indeed, however, they should choose to vote to merge. It would be as exactly correct as the recent decision by the voters in the Virginia and Eveleth districts to merge, for same reasons.

BobL gave a good reason why they might not want to do that, and if that is why, then that is their choice that legally has to be respected. Fine

Bottom player was set and perfectly legal. Never shifted, was set before snap.

Top player was performing an illegal motion, since never set out of the huddle.
Wrong. It's illegal shift as two players shifted and both never reset. Illegal motion is moving forward at the snap (not simulating the snap) or going in motion from being on the line.

You made me un-hide some comments.

I now regret doing so, and possibly have come down with a case of stupidz from just reading them.

I blame you.

lol.....my bad.....was just trying to process the last 10 pages or so of this thread.... :)

Wrong. It's illegal shift as two players shifted and both never reset. Illegal motion is moving forward at the snap (not simulating the snap) or going in motion from being on the line.
Wrong.

No shift ever occurred because neither player ever got set and then moved. That's the definition of what shift a is. The definition of motion is being physically in motion at the snap.

Top Bottom