All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

8 teams left in 6A. Combined 13 losses and 10 of them are to the remaining teams.

Rosemount 10-0
Maple Grove 10-0
Stillwater 9-1 lost to Eden Prairie (by 21)
Lakeville South 8-2 lost to Rosemount (by 3) and Eden Prairie (by 15)
Centennial 8-2 lost to Stillwater (by 1) and Maple Grove (by 7)
Eden Prairie 8-2 lost to Rosemount (by 7) and Shakopee (by 17)
Shakopee 7-3 lost to Prior Lake (by 8), Lakeville South (by 18), and Eagan (by 2)
East Ridge 7-3 lost Eden Prairie (by 27), Stillwater (by 28), and Osseo (by 16)
Not surprised to see the top 6 still standing and Shakopee had a pretty clear path with Mounds View knocking out Champlin. East Ridge is the only real surprise among the final 8.

EP/Shakopee and Rosemount/Centennial may have to deal with some rain/wind on Thursday night

Maple Grove/East Ridge and Stillwater/South may have to contend with some high winds and frigid temps.

Will be interesting to see just how much the weather comes into play for all those games.

Probably because you said Shakopee has a chance to beat EP again would be my guess. There is a reason why people don't like EP and some of the people from there :)
Thanks for the clarification.

Thought I was being pretty neutral.

Probably because you said Shakopee has a chance to beat EP again would be my guess. There is a reason why people don't like EP and some of the people from there :)
Your last sentence says it all. Supreme arrogance yet they are the only team that has to go through a 3 game “revenge tour” to win it all. You can’t make this stuff up!

Thanks for the clarification.

Thought I was being pretty neutral.
You were pretty neutral. Thanks for putting in the time! Too bad our paid scribes in the media can’t do the same!

I have to defend myself to fellow GopherHolers. I liked FUBAR's analysis which is why I referenced his really good post. I've been going to EP's games since 1996, nearly 250 games..I'm 76 years young...so yes I'm an EP fan. Perhaps I could have used a better word than revenge but the point of my post was that Coach Grant is unusually good at getting the team up for certain games by pointing out the mistakes of the past. That's one of the reasons why I think only one team, Lakeville South years ago (the Callender team), beat his team twice in a year. Couple that with a highly motivating Center, Will Sather, who is the current heavyweight wrestling champ, and I think the Shakopee game, regardless of weather will be a great game. I expect EP to win and move on to Rosemount, who is a great team, particularly on the D side. I expect EP to win that game too if it comes about. That leaves the final, and right now it appears that Maple Grove has the pathway, but has to get by some good opponents. Whatever happens, this year 6AAAAAA is damn good.

I have to defend myself to fellow GopherHolers. I liked FUBAR's analysis which is why I referenced his really good post. I've been going to EP's games since 1996, nearly 250 games..I'm 76 years young...so yes I'm an EP fan. Perhaps I could have used a better word than revenge but the point of my post was that Coach Grant is unusually good at getting the team up for certain games by pointing out the mistakes of the past. That's one of the reasons why I think only one team, Lakeville South years ago (the Callender team), beat his team twice in a year. Couple that with a highly motivating Center, Will Sather, who is the current heavyweight wrestling champ, and I think the Shakopee game, regardless of weather will be a great game. I expect EP to win and move on to Rosemount, who is a great team, particularly on the D side. I expect EP to win that game too if it comes about. That leaves the final, and right now it appears that Maple Grove has the pathway, but has to get by some good opponents. Whatever happens, this year 6AAAAAA is damn good.
I believe that Lakeville team with Callender was before South opened. Man that was a good team.

I believe that Lakeville team with Callender was before South opened. Man that was a good team.
I watched both games. He was devastating. He was impossible to stop without gaining positive yards. One tough customer. It's too bad he encountered issues after high school.

No worries. You just hit on some of the typical EP stuff that annoys people with your other post :)

6A is going to be really interesting this year with no clear cut favorite and a bunch of solid teams.

No worries. You just hit on some of the typical EP stuff that annoys people with your other post :)

6A is going to be really interesting this year with no clear cut favorite and a bunch of solid teams.
Copy. What grates me about the whole thing is paying $13 for an online ticket. No benefits being a "young" Senior.

Old people should have to pay more as they’ve had more time to build their net worth

Wink

😉
Yeh; but after 50+ years building wealth, it's going fast in this environment! Having said that, it's worth $13 to see a bunch of good high school football players go at it. It looks like this Thursday is going to be one hell of a night for football. It reminds me of several years ago when EP played one of the Lakeville teams during the playoffs in Chanhassen; five layers still didn't keep any of us warm, but Cole Kramer in shirt sleeves led the team to a blowout.

Living in Outstate MN, I tend to have more of an affinity for the smaller classes. I'll watch the big schools in the Prep Bowl, but I just identify more with the smaller programs and with teams that I am more familiar with in SW MN.

so the teams I am rooting for include:

Fairmont in 3A
Jackson County Central and Blue Earth in 2A
Springfield and Minneota in A
Red Rock Central in 9-man.

Living in Outstate MN, I tend to have more of an affinity for the smaller classes. I'll watch the big schools in the Prep Bowl, but I just identify more with the smaller programs and with teams that I am more familiar with in SW MN.

Fairmont in 3A

1A I look at section 1 when looking at potential teams to beat in small classes. Fillmore Central is 11-0, but combined the field is 76-10. Minneota and Mahnomen are always tough and Minneota was a 6-2, 4 seed in sections. Not a lot, if any, common opponents at these smaller classes. (Undefeated, Fillmore, Lester Prairie, & Deer River)

2A Chatfield is probably the team to beat out of dominant section 1. There are a bunch of 2 or fewer loss teams. 65-8 combined record for the field. (Undefeated, Chatfield, JacksonCC, Eden Valley Watkins, & Barnesville)

3A looks really wide open. Interested in seeing 11-0 Esko play. Take out the Metro team St. Croix Lutheran at 5-5, the rest of the field is 67-6. No team with mor than 2 losses. (Undefeated, Esko & Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton.) Southern teams are hard to beat.

4A Stewartville, Rocori, Hutch and Simley are the 4 I see competing for title. (Undefeated, Stewartvillle) Becker beat Hutch, Hutch beat Rocori, & Rocori beat Becker twice.

5A St. Thomas controlled the regular season game against Mahtomedi. Elk River has really good athletes running their Wing T offense. Mankato West is well rounded, but Mayo gave them a game in losing 28-24 during the season. Armstrong is no slouch. Another wide-open class.

If you happen to see a St. Thomas game, prepare to be impressed by Savion Hart. Best high school running back I have ever seen in person. There are rumors that he's going to leave for IMG Academy or someplace like that for his senior year, which quite frankly makes sense if they are going to stay at 5A next year and be up by 30 points at halftime of almost every game. Not sure what there is left for him to prove against the competition they generally play.

Fairmont in 3A
I was pulling for Luverne in 3A. I'm kind of surprised they are in that class with conference opponents like Jackson and Pipestone in 2A.

If you happen to see a St. Thomas game, prepare to be impressed by Savion Hart. Best high school running back I have ever seen in person. There are rumors that he's going to leave for IMG Academy or someplace like that for his senior year, which quite frankly makes sense if they are going to stay at 5A next year and be up by 30 points at halftime of almost every game. Not sure what there is left for him to prove against the competition they generally play.
He looks like he improved a lot from last year. Looks much stronger which is good since he is small. Looks like he should earn a P5 scholly.

The offense was a little bit before its time. It was a 50/50 pass and run offense, having the best RB Brylee Callendar and the best WR Vinny Flurry was deadly and they also had a all metro QB Josh Lucas. The year was 2003 and Lakeville ran the table that year, I think 2 years pre split

The offense was a little bit before its time. It was a 50/50 pass and run offense, having the best RB Brylee Callendar and the best WR Vinny Flurry was deadly and they also had a all metro QB Josh Lucas. The year was 2003 and Lakeville ran the table that year, I think 2 years pre split
Correct. It was 2003 and South opened in 2005.

Yeh; but after 50+ years building wealth, it's going fast in this environment! Having said that, it's worth $13 to see a bunch of good high school football players go at it. It looks like this Thursday is going to be one hell of a night for football. It reminds me of several years ago when EP played one of the Lakeville teams during the playoffs in Chanhassen; five layers still didn't keep any of us warm, but Cole Kramer in shirt sleeves led the team to a blowout.
I was at that game. I believe it was at Chanhassen. Snow on the field the whole game.

1A I look at section 1 when looking at potential teams to beat in small classes. Fillmore Central is 11-0, but combined the field is 76-10. Minneota and Mahnomen are always tough and Minneota was a 6-2, 4 seed in sections. Not a lot, if any, common opponents at these smaller classes. (Undefeated, Fillmore, Lester Prairie, & Deer River)

2A Chatfield is probably the team to beat out of dominant section 1. There are a bunch of 2 or fewer loss teams. 65-8 combined record for the field. (Undefeated, Chatfield, JacksonCC, Eden Valley Watkins, & Barnesville)

3A looks really wide open. Interested in seeing 11-0 Esko play. Take out the Metro team St. Croix Lutheran at 5-5, the rest of the field is 67-6. No team with mor than 2 losses. (Undefeated, Esko & Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton.) Southern teams are hard to beat.

4A Stewartville, Rocori, Hutch and Simley are the 4 I see competing for title. (Undefeated, Stewartvillle) Becker beat Hutch, Hutch beat Rocori, & Rocori beat Becker twice.

5A St. Thomas controlled the regular season game against Mahtomedi. Elk River has really good athletes running their Wing T offense. Mankato West is well rounded, but Mayo gave them a game in losing 28-24 during the season. Armstrong is no slouch. Another wide-open class.
Elk River does not run a Wing T.

Looks like the temps are going to plummet and the wind is going to pick up with 30+ MPH gusts possible during the games tonight.

Wind shouldn't be a huge issue for Centennial/Rosemount game since neither team throws it much, but punting and other kicks could be an adventure.

EP road graders should do well this evening against Shakopee in the "calm" weather forecast. I agree with MNVCGUY that kickoffs and punts will be an adventure, as well as any pass more than 10 yards.

Class 4A #2 Hutchinson defeats #1 Stewartville 60-22. Will meet #4 Zimmerman at US Bank.

Last edited:

Streaming of the games was really well done. Vikings are missing out on having games at TCO. Sad that it sits open the next 3 days. They should be more proactive on supporting their future viewers. See the Wild and the Twins support of Tournaments Vikings.

Streaming of the games was really well done. Vikings are missing out on having games at TCO. Sad that it sits open the next 3 days. They should be more proactive on supporting their future viewers. See the Wild and the Twins support of Tournaments Vikings.
Not sure that the MSHSL wants it
Because if two games are there and 2 games are at park center the 4 teams at park center are rightfully saying WTF

And then the MSHSL would have to answer questions and have answers and stuff. Better to just screw everybody out of a cool experience

Honestly the “people’s stadium” should be used all day Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Monday.

They’ve done so before and love to have the option. They had Elk River and Spring Lake park. Chaska vs Mankato West I believe. There isn’t equity in sites already. Schools understand when you have 28 games.

Rosemount 27-0 over Centennial. Rosemount with first pass with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter.

EP 28-12 over Shakopee.

Top Bottom