All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

The whole point of 6a was to put the top 32 teams in one league.

If that’s no longer the point they should redefine why 6a exists and base who is in it off that.
32 was a number that made sense based on 4 8 team sections.
If they are going to go 30 they should decide why the class exists and pick a number based on that.
18-24 may be more logical if we aren’t going with the originally picked arbitrary 32.
If they go 32 then Brainerd and Rochester Mayo should be put in 6A. (Could be different schools with new 2023/25 & 24/25 reclass)

They should define it as the 32 or 30 largest Metro schools.

I prefer Brainerd play 5A. Yes they play Rogers or Elk River every other year on the road, but if you make them play 6A, you are taking them away from the other teams that need similar sized schools on their schedule. (Moorhead, Bemidji, Alexandria etc.)

Maybe 28 is the answer.

I think you and I could really put a good proposal forward to the MSHSL. 🤣

I'll be curious to see where some of the 5A large enrollments come in.

The whole point of 6a was to put the top 32 teams in one league.

If that’s no longer the point they should redefine why 6a exists and base who is in it off that.
32 was a number that made sense based on 4 8 team sections.
If they are going to go 30 they should decide why the class exists and pick a number based on that.
18-24 may be more logical if we aren’t going with the originally picked arbitrary 32.
28 would be a good number. No byes during regular season. Top 4 get a bye in Playoffs. 24 would be fine too, if teams 25-28 are getting pummeled.

Last edited:

If they go 32 then Brainerd and Rochester Mayo should be put in 6A. (Could be different schools with new 2023/25 & 24/25 reclass)

They should define it as the 32 or 30 largest Metro schools.

I prefer Brainerd play 5A. Yes they play Rogers or Elk River every other year on the road, but if you make them play 6A, you are taking them away from the other teams that need similar sized schools on their schedule. (Moorhead, Bemidji, Alexandria etc.)

Maybe 28 is the answer.

I think you and I could really put a good proposal forward to the MSHSL. 🤣

I'll be curious to see where some of the 5A large enrollments come in.
The problem isn’t a lack of proposals. iMo the people on the board just don’t have a clue

The problem isn’t a lack of proposals. iMo the people on the board just don’t have a clue
I think they just want to make everyone happy and that is impossible.

Really surprised by two rivers. This is what happens when you have empty sections.
A team that played a 4a and 3a schedule was the 2 seed in a 6 team 5a section. Opening the door for two rivers to spring one upset over Hastings and then basically be a pick ‘em

St Thomas academy can rest their starters in the section final

The ride will end Friday, unfortunately, but Two Rivers is somehow doing this with one of their two best players (6'4", 250 lb junior DE) out injured, and with their regular QB out with a concussion. Starting safety added QB duties for Hastings game after not having taken an offensive snap all year and played out of his mind - 2 TD passes AND 2 interceptions on defense during 1st quarter at Hastings (a team they trailed 35-0 after Hastings ran back the 2nd half kickoff last time they played).

End of Two Rivers/Kennedy was as bizarre as football gets. Teams combined for 5 TDs in the last 4:10. Kennedy's decision to attempt a pass with a minute left and while trying to run out clock was a bold strategy that really did not work out well for them after the pass was intercepted. The pooch kickoff/personal foul combo that let Two Rivers start a drive on the opposing 45 late in the game, and letting a WR get five yards behind a DB while protecting a lead, similarly didn't pan out.

Roseville should’ve been playing Hopkins last night.
Brainerd should’ve been playing a 6a schedule so their 5-3 team wasn’t the 8 seed.
Prior Lake (2) 20-13 over Coon Rapids (7)
Stillwater (1) 38-21 over Brainerd (8)
Edina (6) 35-28 over Blaine (3)
Mounds View (7) 17-7 over Champlin (2)
White Bear Lake (3) 28-23 over Anoka (6)
Wayzata (5) 33-13 over STMA (4)
Woodbury (4) 24-14 over Osseo (5)

Section 5AAAAAA was 1-7 with Maple Grove the only win. Coon Rapids and Brainerd likely win a couple of the games in this section if they played during the season.

Section 3 was 4-4 with Rosemount, Lakeville So., East Ridge and Lakeville N winning
Section 4 was 6-2 with Stillwater, Centennial, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, Forest Lake and Mounds View winning
Section 5 1-7
Section 6 5-3 with Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, Shakopee Wayzata and Edina Winning.

6A - round 2 - Fri, Nov 4

Lakeville North at Stillwater
White Bear Lake at Lakeville South
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Eden Prairie)

Forest Lake at Maple Grove
East Ridge at Prior Lake
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Chanhassen)

other side of the bracket
Woodbury at Eden Prairie
Mounds View at Shakopee
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Park Center)

Wayzata at Rosemount
Edina at Centennial
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Stillwater)
Some good matchups in there and will be interesting to see if the chance of rain/colder temps plays a role at all. For the most part the weather has been great all season, will be one of the first times where it could be a factor.

A little surprised that none of the quarterfinal games will be played at TCO.

They need to stop just using the letter A.
It should be classes A, B, C, D, E, F, 9-man.

The lengths the MSHSL goes to in order to make sure nobody gets offended is asinine.
Ultimately they have to respond to the schools right?

Not some rando on the internet.

Ag
They need to stop just using the letter A.
It should be classes A, B, C, D, E, F, 9-man.

The lengths the MSHSL goes to in order to make sure nobody gets offended is asinine.
Agree, up until 97 or so it was AA, A, B, C, 9 Man and then the shit hit the fan!

Ultimately they have to respond to the schools right?

Not some rando on the internet.
Yes and no

They eventually have to respond to the schools but there is a lag effect

It takes half a decade to build up enough noise for the decision makers to start hearing

Ag

Agree, up until 97 or so it was AA, A, B, C, 9 Man and then the shit hit the fan!
I'm sure it's a top priority to get the letter right. Other sports in the state have always used the A designation, so they were just getting football in line with the other sports.

Ag

Honestly the 6A, 5A....doesn't really bug me as long as they denote it as 6A, 5A etc....What I don't like about it is when they display it as AAAAAAA or AAAAA. Just looks weird and gets tough to tell the groupings apart.

Honestly the 6A, 5A....doesn't really bug me as long as they denote it as 6A, 5A etc....What I don't like about it is when they display it as AAAAAAA or AAAAA. Just looks weird and gets tough to tell the groupings apart.
I agree 6A is a lot easier than AAAAAA but I follow it relatively close and get confused... is it Class 6A or Section 6, etc...

Prior Lake (2) 20-13 over Coon Rapids (7)
Stillwater (1) 38-21 over Brainerd (8)
Edina (6) 35-28 over Blaine (3)
Mounds View (7) 17-7 over Champlin (2)
White Bear Lake (3) 28-23 over Anoka (6)
Wayzata (5) 33-13 over STMA (4)
Woodbury (4) 24-14 over Osseo (5)

Section 5AAAAAA was 1-7 with Maple Grove the only win. Coon Rapids and Brainerd likely win a couple of the games in this section if they played during the season.

Section 3 was 4-4 with Rosemount, Lakeville So., East Ridge and Lakeville N winning
Section 4 was 6-2 with Stillwater, Centennial, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, Forest Lake and Mounds View winning
Section 5 1-7
Section 6 5-3 with Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, Shakopee Wayzata and Edina Winning.
This is interesting and it made me wonder about the 6A Gold and Maroon Divisions.

Gold North 3 still in: Maple Grove, Centennial, Wayzata
Gold South 7 still in: Rosemount, Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, Shakopee, Prior Lake, Edina, Lakeville North
Maroon North 4 still in: Stillwater, Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, Mounds View
Maroon South 2 still in: East Ridge, Woodbury

Gold South was the buzzsaw this year and none of the teams from that division play each this round. Wondering how many can make it the next step or if this is the end of the road?

It surprised me that 4 Maroon North teams made it through where 3 Gold North teams did.

Last edited:

Yeah, I gave up on trying to understand how the sections work in 6A a while ago. :)
Absolutely no logic to having conferences, sections and now divisions for 6A...and that is probably why it happens.

Just rid of the damn ‘As’ and do D1, 2, 3 etc like Wisconsin.

Also, MN has proportionate classes to similar size states. Which doesn’t mean we have to like it.

Last edited:

This is interesting and it made me wonder about the 6A Gold and Maroon Divisions.

Gold South 7 still in: Rosemount, Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, Shakopee, Prior Lake, Edina, Lakeville North

Gold South was the buzzsaw this year and none of the teams from that division play each this round. Wondering how many can make it the next step or if this is the end of the road?

It surprised me that 4 Maroon North teams made it through where 3 Gold North teams did.
Just my gut feeling but I think the majority of the teams in the Gold South have a great chance of advancing to the next round.

When gold was designed to be winners and maroon designed to be losers

One thing they did was discount the east metro in the gold/maroon split.
SEC SEC!

When gold was designed to be winners and maroon designed to be losers

One thing they did was discount the east metro in the gold/maroon split.
SEC SEC!
How many 5A state champions did the Suburban East produce?? I think Cretin was in the St Paul City when it was really, really good.

I know one time, years ago, Hastings pulled it off. Wow that was a long time ago, now ...

Just my gut feeling but I think the majority of the teams in the Gold South have a great chance of advancing to the next round.
EP plus all the big, fast growing, upper middle class schools "south of the river", both Dakota and Scott Counties.

How many 5A state champions did the Suburban East produce?? I think Cretin was in the St Paul City when it was really, really good.

I know one time, years ago, Hastings pulled it off. Wow that was a long time ago, now ...
Woodbury and east ridge have both been in a state championship game in the last 25 years I think. Neither have won.

White bear lake not as much success
Moundsview has had moments being good but never great
Stillwater powerhouse a long time ago

MSHSL has added to this daily counting down to the 40th Prep Bowl. Good history of the games.

I know this has been discussed but they have to figure out the section final hosts. In 2A HLWW and NYA from rural west of the metro are playing in Forest Lake. You would think Buffalo, or one of the western suburbs could host that one.

I agree. All those As make me cross-eyed.

I know this has been discussed but they have to figure out the section final hosts. In 2A HLWW and NYA from rural west of the metro are playing in Forest Lake. You would think Buffalo, or one of the western suburbs could host that one.
Don't the Sections themselves decide that, not the MSHL?

Top Bottom