All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

Great breakdowns from both Fubar and 461.

Power T has been huge for Rosemount on offense (stuck with it almost exclusively in 2nd half blowout of Wayzata and full game against Centennial). But the strength of Rosemount all year has been the D. They play really sound and don't let teams torch them for big plays. Averaging under a TD allowed a game and if you eliminate scores by the other teams defense or scores against the Rosemount backups in garbage time the number would be even lower. They do it with very few individual stars but they force teams to drive the length of the field and run a lot of plays.

Should be a heck of a nightcap on Friday night.
MNVCGUY, let me pump you for some information on Rosemount. Did Rosemount have their starting nose-guard back from last year? #64 started the entire season at nose as a junior, but was out this season. Started seeing him a little last couple games. I thought he started on D and played offensive guard against Centennial. He must be feeling great.
This allowed #44 who blocked the punt and ran it in to shift to OLB if my eyes were reading this right. With #51 and #44 at OLB they are tougher I think.
Also, could the sophomore quarterback #12 see time indoors? He lit it up against Prior Lake. He is a gunslinger and a completely different entity to prepare for. I think that's why he torched PL.
Lastly, more of a statement. #10 is a guy who they seemed to be hiding all year. He looks fresh and hungry. Again, a two way player in a big game who hasn't played much outside of special teams.

MNVCGUY, let me pump you for some information on Rosemount. Did Rosemount have their starting nose-guard back from last year? #64 started the entire season at nose as a junior, but was out this season. Started seeing him a little last couple games. I thought he started on D and played offensive guard against Centennial. He must be feeling great.
This allowed #44 who blocked the punt and ran it in to shift to OLB if my eyes were reading this right. With #51 and #44 at OLB they are tougher I think.
Also, could the sophomore quarterback #12 see time indoors? He lit it up against Prior Lake. He is a gunslinger and a completely different entity to prepare for. I think that's why he torched PL.
Lastly, more of a statement. #10 is a guy who they seemed to be hiding all year. He looks fresh and hungry. Again, a two way player in a big game who hasn't played much outside of special teams.
Can't really speak to the first part because I am not super familiar with the defensive guys individually I just know they have been playing great as a unit.

Can speak a little to the offense. #12 is definitely the better passer of the two but is only a sophomore so is inconsistent. If the run game isn't working and Rosemount has to go to the pass he will most likely be the QB. Exciting to think he still has 2 years left to develop.

As for #10, he is the #4 RB. #18 was dinged against Centennial so 10 slid into his spot. They hardly used #23 against Centennial and he was the guy who went for 250 and 4 TD against Wayzata. Rosemount coaches will go with the hot hand and all 4 backs are solid (18, 23, 33, 10). Add to that mix a QB who is good at ball fakes and a solid runner himself and it is easy to see why that power T formation has been so deadly for Rosemount. They find the soft spot in the defense and they go after it.

St Thomas loses to Mahtomedi, something I did not see coming. Perhaps only playing one game that was competitive all year - first Mahtomedi game - wasn't exactly the best way for St Thomas to prepare for close games in playoffs.
The South Metro All-Stars(Aka STA) did not face anybody all season long. Chest thumping and beating bad teams by 40 then getting beat in a close game in state. This has been the pattern for years. Should opt to be in 6A. Their athletes that play one half a game would benefit.

HS FB Scores from Saturday, Nov 12

5A:
Mahtomedi 20, St. Thomas Academy 14 (OT)
Elk River 44, Moorhead 20
Rogers 34, Armstrong 23
Mankato West 20, Rochester Mayo 17

3A:
Fairmont 49, St. Croix Lutheran 7
Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 21, Esko 17

HS FB Playoff Semi-Finals: (at US Bank Stadium)
4 games Thurs, 5 gms Fri, 5 gms Sat

6A:
Lakeville South vs Maple Grove - Thurs, Nov 17 - 7pm
Eden Prairie vs Rosemount -- Fri, Nov 18 - 7pm
(Prep Bowl - Fri, Dec 2 - 7pm)

5A:
Mahtomedi vs Elk River -- Fri, Nov 18 - 2pm
Rogers vs Mankato West -- Sat, Nov 19 - 7pm
(Prep Bowl - Sat, Dec 3 - 4pm)

4A:
Simley vs Rocori -- Thur, Nov 17 - 4pm
Hutchinson vs Zimmerman -- Fri, Nov 18 - 4:30pm
(Prep Bowl - Fri, Dec 2 - 4pm)

3A:
Fairmont vs Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton -- Sat, Nov 19 - 2pm
Watertown-Mayer vs New London-Spicer -- Sat, Nov 19 - 4:30pm
(Prep Bowl - Sat, Dec 3 - 1pm)

2A:
Jackson County Central vs Barnesville -- Fri, Nov 18 - 9am
Chatfield vs Eden Valley-Watkins -- Fri, Nov 18 - 11:30am
(Prep Bowl - Fri, Dec 2 - 1pm)

1A:
Springfield vs Deer River -- Sat, Nov 19 - 9am
Fillmore Central vs Minneota -- Sat, Nov 19 - 11:30am
(Prep Bowl - Fri, Dec 2 - 10am)

9-Man:
Wheaton-Herman-Norcross vs Mountain Iron-Buhl -- Thur, Nov 17 - 10:30am
Spring Grove vs Fertile-Beltrami -- Thur, Nov 17 - 1pm
(Prep Bowl - Sat, Dec 3 - 10am)

The South Metro All-Stars(Aka STA) did not face anybody all season long. Chest thumping and beating bad teams by 40 then getting beat in a close game in state. This has been the pattern for years. Should opt to be in 6A. Their athletes that play one half a game would benefit.
Pretty much the last thing I want to do is take the side of a team that runs a trick play up 35-0 in the section final and then celebrates like they won the Super Bowl when they initially though it worked (refs ultimately ruled it an incompletion) . . . but I will admit that St. Thomas is in a difficult position. They would be competitive but wouldn't really have a chance to win a championship in 6A (for all the complaining they still haven't won at 5A); however, the 5A teams in their geographic area that end up on their schedule simply can't give them a decent game most years. If the scheduling format wasn't so rigid and they could mix in 6A teams during regular season it seems like that would be better for every one.

You do wonder how much fun this season actually was for their top players. Yes, winning is fun, but apart from the two Mahtomedi games they didn't play a game that was ever in doubt all season long.

Pretty much the last thing I want to do is take the side of a team that runs a trick play up 35-0 in the section final and then celebrates like they won the Super Bowl when they initially though it worked (refs ultimately ruled it an incompletion) . . . but I will admit that St. Thomas is in a difficult position. They would be competitive but wouldn't really have a chance to win a championship in 6A (for all the complaining they still haven't won at 5A); however, the 5A teams in their geographic area that end up on their schedule simply can't give them a decent game most years. If the scheduling format wasn't so rigid and they could mix in 6A teams during regular season it seems like that would be better for every one.

You do wonder how much fun this season actually was for their top players. Yes, winning is fun, but apart from the two Mahtomedi games they didn't play a game that was ever in doubt all season long.
That's hilarious, they might have wanted to save the trickery for a competitive game.

I agree with you. They have not won a championship, but find themselves at state almost every year and go through their schedule undefeated almost every year. Aside from a team or two, most 5A teams do not even given them competitive game. I would guess their athletes would appreciate being 7-3 and playing the whole game versus 10-1 and playing half of games trying not to run up the score.

Also interesting, I watched the highlights of the Mahtomedi game, it appeared they did the handshake before the game. Is that something that happens in state games? I have not seen that before.

They’d have to change their scheme to go 6a
Right now they’re almost exclusively man to man which works when you are almost always more athletic than your opponent
Doesn’t always work as well if you are playing people more comparable

Yeah, as much as they make it hard to like them I do have to admit they're in a tough position. Throw in the fact that, um, their development program is a bit different than that of a public school where all the kids came up through the same youth association (I'll stop here . . .), so that their talent level can vary from year to year even more than at some other places, and It's not quite as simple as "just move to 6A."

Yeah, as much as they make it hard to like them I do have to admit they're in a tough position. Throw in the fact that, um, their development program is a bit different than that of a public school where all the kids came up through the same youth association (I'll stop here . . .), so that their talent level can vary from year to year even more than at some other places, and It's not quite as simple as "just move to 6A."
Totino jumped to 6a because they had a run of good teams. They might have accidentally broken their program in the process.
Cretin dropped back down to 5a

STA should stay down if they have the chance. They’ve won how many state titles?

The thing I wonder is if this might eventually make some kids think twice about going there if that's the football experience you get in terms of game action. While the culture there is not necessarily my cup of tea STA is a very good school and there are plenty of other good reasons to go there entirely apart from athletics, but for kids with legitimate post-HS aspirations playing a schedule where your team is rarely challenged and half the games end up in running time might not be as appealing.

Why so much talk for STA. Mahtomedi and MW have a far better run. As has Elk River. No way they’re a 6A school.

Totino Grace may actually drop to 4A. They made their own bed.

The thing I wonder is if this might eventually make some kids think twice about going there if that's the football experience you get in terms of game action. While the culture there is not necessarily my cup of tea STA is a very good school and there are plenty of other good reasons to go there entirely apart from athletics, but for kids with legitimate post-HS aspirations playing a schedule where your team is rarely challenged and half the games end up in running time might not be as appealing.
I don’t really agree with that. The small classes probably produce as many college football players per capita is the 6a schools
And half the 6a games are non competitive running time games too

That is a good point - if you scan the results in the Friday paper wholly uncompetitive games are pretty common at all levels, unfortunately. I would still have to think some kids who have big-time dreams won't at least consider whether constantly winning blowouts in which they're not tested will help them fulfill those dreams, though.

St Thomas loses to Mahtomedi, something I did not see coming. Perhaps only playing one game that was competitive all year - first Mahtomedi game - wasn't exactly the best way for St Thomas to prepare for close games in playoffs.
Rematches, purely statistically, tend to go to the loser of the first game. For whatever that was worth.

Would be curious to know where STA boys come from.

The public schools up in that "upper hump" of Dakota county, are split up I believe amongst Two Rivers, S St Paul, and Simley (IGH), none of which is particular big or good?

Or maybe they come from all over the metro.

Would be curious to know where STA boys come from.

The public schools up in that "upper hump" of Dakota county, are split up I believe amongst Two Rivers, S St Paul, and Simley (IGH), none of which is particular big or good?

Or maybe they come from all over the metro.
Historically a lot of Eagan, Eastview, Apple Valley, Rosemount, Inver Grove Heights, Mendoza heights, and south and west St. Paul kids (simley, sibley now known as two rivers, south St. Paul)

Historically a lot of Eagan, Eastview, Apple Valley, Rosemount, Inver Grove Heights, Mendoza heights, and south and west St. Paul kids
That is what I was wondering and makes sense to me.

You don't want to send your Mendota Heights kid driving over to Totino. And vice versa

That is what I was wondering and makes sense to me.

You don't want to send your Mendota Heights kid driving over to Totino. And vice versa
Hill Murray kind of the east metro answer
STA south metro
Benilde west metro
Totino north metro

Holy angels, De La Salle and cretin I think draw from larger areas but would be first option for a lot of people living in Minneapolis and St. Paul

Outside of those 7, the other catholic schools are much smaller. But there are others. I know a few st Agnes aggies

Hill Murray kind of the east metro answer
STA south metro
Benilde west metro
Totino north metro

Holy angels, De La Salle and cretin I think draw from larger areas but would be first option for a lot of people living in Minneapolis and St. Paul

Outside of those 7, the other catholic schools are much smaller. But there are others. I know a few st Agnes aggies
Minnehaha, Blake, Breck, SPA?

Yeah. I lumped them both in when I listed what I would consider the 7 biggest impact catholic schools
Hill Murray
Totino
STA
Benilde
Cretin
Holy angels
De la salle
I don't think it's reasonable to only consider Catholic private schools when almost everyone would just consider all private schools as private schools?

Also, is St Thomas a Catholic school ... or a military school?

Are the nuns dressed up in camo robes? How does it work?

I don't think it's reasonable to only consider Catholic private schools when almost everyone would just consider all private schools as private schools?
Well I don’t know anything about the politics about the non Catholics so I only speak about what I have some idea about

Totino Grace struggles more in football with fully developed youth football programs, where it's harder for kids to go the TG after making friends from 2nd grade on. Also, with public schools having switched to all day kindergarten a few years ago, it cut off an advantage the private all-day kindergarten had to offer. All things that play a role in private school attendance.

Elk River, Rogers, and Zimmerman all being the same school district is pretty cool. Rogers and Elk River could meet in 5A title game. Zimmerman is 4A.

6A games will see little passing and lots of physical play. I think Lakeville South has the best passing game.

4A I like Hutch and Simley to advance. Simley is big and physical.

Totino Grace struggles more in football with fully developed youth football programs, where it's harder for kids to go the TG after making friends from 2nd grade on. Also, with public schools having switched to all day kindergarten a few years ago, it cut off an advantage the private all-day kindergarten had to offer. All things that play a role in private school attendance.

Elk River, Rogers, and Zimmerman all being the same school district is pretty cool. Rogers and Elk River could meet in 5A title game. Zimmerman is 4A.

6A games will see little passing and lots of physical play. I think Lakeville South has the best passing game.

I agree that the 6AAAAAA Semis will see physical play. The teams left all run the ball effectively. I don't know if I agree that LS has the best passing game; it was nonexistent in the LS/EP game earlier in the season, though later in the season looked better with Hansen as the go-to guy. As an indoor game, there may be surprises in the passing game for all four teams.

LS does not have the best passing attack of the remaining 6A teams. In fact, I might put them as the worst of the 4 remaining. MG is probably the best followed by EP of the remaining teams from a passing standpoint. MG would have even a stronger passing game had their TE and Gopher commit not been hurt for most of the year.

Top Bottom