All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

I know this has been discussed but they have to figure out the section final hosts. In 2A HLWW and NYA from rural west of the metro are playing in Forest Lake. You would think Buffalo, or one of the western suburbs could host that one.
Buffalo is hosting Dassel-Cokato vs. Watertown-Mayer tonight, but there has to be somewhere closer for those two schools (GSL or Hutch maybe?)

Buffalo is hosting Dassel-Cokato vs. Watertown-Mayer tonight, but there has to be somewhere closer for those two schools (GSL or Hutch maybe?)
A lot of sections intentionally move the section final to a relatively close turf stadium so that no matter who makes the final it’s a guaranteed playing surface.
These venues are booked before the season starts which explains the distance sometimes

All of the higher seeds in 6A with one exception won and most won big. All 4 #1 seeds along with 2 #2 and 2 #3 seeds in the final 8. Field is wide open and champion could be pretty much any of these teams.

Stillwater vs. Lakeville South
Maple Grove vs. East Ridge
Eden Prairie vs. Shakopee - Only case where teams have played before - Shak won big 31-14
Rosemount vs. Centennial

Rosemount was tied against Wayzata at the half and then just steamrolled them in the second half. Wayzata had no answer for the Power T formation that Rosemount went with.

All of the higher seeds in 6A with one exception won and most won big. All 4 #1 seeds along with 2 #2 and 2 #3 seeds in the final 8. Field is wide open and champion could be pretty much any of these teams.

Stillwater vs. Lakeville South
Maple Grove vs. East Ridge
Eden Prairie vs. Shakopee - Only case where teams have played before - Shak won big 31-14
Rosemount vs. Centennial

Rosemount was tied against Wayzata at the half and then just steamrolled them in the second half. Wayzata had no answer for the Power T formation that Rosemount went with.
Maple grove vs East Ridge and EP vs Shakopee are the two most interesting to me

I think rosemount and south roll
I really think East Ridge has a nice passing game this year. Maple grove is the team I know the least about.
Shakopee already beat Eden prairie but it was a Saturday game after a Friday threat to the building at EP shut things down Friday. Odd weekend. Will be good to see them play again

Maple grove vs East Ridge and EP vs Shakopee are the two most interesting to me

I think rosemount and south roll
I really think East Ridge has a nice passing game this year. Maple grove is the team I know the least about.
Shakopee already beat Eden prairie but it was a Saturday game after a Friday threat to the building at EP shut things down Friday. Odd weekend. Will be good to see them play again
Love the matchup with Centennial for Rosemount. I haven't seen Centennial play but looking at who they have played the scores of the games I expect a fairly low scoring game which is the kind of game Rosemount is very comfortable playing.

I won't be surprised if South, EP and Rosemount all end up in the final 4.

Scores: (arranged by pairings for State Quarterfinals)

6A:
----Stillwater 42, Lakeville North 7
----Lakeville South 30, White Bear Lake 0

----Maple Grove 54, Forest Lake 21
---- East Ridge 28, Prior Lake 27

----Eden Prairie 55, Woodbury 14
---- Shakopee 42, Mounds View 21

---- Rosemount 42, Wayzata 14
----Centennial 14, Edina 7

5A:
(3) St. Thomas Academy 45, Two Rivers 0
(4) Mahtomedi 20, St. Paul Central 0

(7) Elk River 51, Andover 49 (ot)
(8)Moorhead 28, Sartell-St. Stephen 26

(1) Rochester Mayo vs Owatonna - Sat, 7pm
(2) Mankato West 23, Chanhassen 21

(5) Armstrong 42, Cooper 7
(6) Rogers 21, Spring Lake Park 7

4A:
(3) Simley 40, Hill-Murray 12
(4) Chisago Lakes 43, Fridley 42

(7) North Branch 34, Cloquet 6
(8) Rocori 22, Becker 20

(1) Stewartville 46, Kasson-Mantorville 22
(2) Hutchinson 52, Marshall 30

(5) Holy Angels 41, Benilde-St. Margaret's 7
(6) Zimmerman 20, Orono 3

3A:
(3) Fairmont 35, Waseca 26
(4) St. Croix Lutheran 14, Breck 6

(7) Esko 28, Pequot Lakes 19
(8) Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 7, East Grant Forks 6

(1) Cannon Falls 50, Plainview-Elgin-Millville 6
(2) Watertown-Mayer 47, Dassel-Cokato 36

(5) Milaca 42, Foley 22
(6) New London-Spicer 20, Albany 14

2A:
(3) Jackson County Central 31, Pipestone 14
(4) Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted 29, Norwood-Young America 13

(7) Moose Lake-Willow River 25, Crosby-Ironton 0
(8) Barnesville 56, Crookston 3

(1) Chatfield 10, Caledonia 8
(2) Blue Earth 44, St. Clair/Loyola 20

(5) Eden Valley-Watkins 26, Royalton 20
(6) Sauk Centre 27, Osakis 6

1A:
(3) Springfield 40, Tracy-Milroy-Balaton 28
(4) Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg 7, Upsala-Swanville 6

(7) Deer River 26, Barnum 14
(8) Mahnomen-Waubun 32, Red Lake County 0

(1) Fillmore Central 34, Bethlehem Academy 8
(2) Lester Prairie 14, Mayer Lutheran 6

(5) Minneota 28, Lakeview 6
(6) Breckenridge 34, Ottertail Central 6

9-Man:
(3) Red Rock Central 36, Mt Lake Area 28 (ot)
(4) Wheaton-Herman-Norcross 40, Verndale 14

(7) Mountain Iron-Buhl 56, Cherry 24
(8) Kittson County Central 35, Goodridge-Grygla-Gatzke 20

(1) Spring Grove 35, Lanesboro 0
(2) Hancock 20, Renville County West 7

(5) Ogilvie 50, South Ridge 8
(6) Fertile-Beltrami 46, Blackduck 14

Need to have turf. Be more knowledgeable…
Not true. Only if section decides that. Some sections are played at the high seed which can be grass. State quarterfinals have to be turf. Most smaller classes choose to play at neutral sites for crowd sizes.

Love the matchup with Centennial for Rosemount. I haven't seen Centennial play but looking at who they have played the scores of the games I expect a fairly low scoring game which is the kind of game Rosemount is very comfortable playing.

I won't be surprised if South, EP and Rosemount all end up in the final 4.
Centennial runs the Military Academy double wing option. QB is really good.

However I don’t see EP, LS, Rose or MG losing. If I had to pick an upset maybe Stillwater

Correct but
Not true. Only if section decides that. Some sections are played at the high seed which can be grass. State quarterfinals have to be turf. Most smaller classes choose to play at neutral sites for crowd sizes.
Correct but they’re not going to have a neutral site with grass

Centennial runs the Military Academy double wing option. QB is really good.

However I don’t see EP, LS, Rose or MG losing. If I had to pick an upset maybe Stillwater
You have to have a good QB to run that.

I honestly just started following MN HS football closely for the first time this year, so forgive my ignorance. For those in the know - help me out here. Is this the accurate representation for the AAAA state tournament? The MSHSL says they aren't placing teams into brackets until Monday, and yet this shows up today. I'm dubious whether it's accurate or just a placeholder. If accurate, it's honestly very stupid. Stewartville and Hutchinson have far and away been the two best AAAA teams this year, and you place them both in the same quarterfinal? Or is it predetermined to match certain section champs against each other? Again, forgive my ignorance. Screenshot 2022-11-05 153331.png

I honestly just started following MN HS football closely for the first time this year, so forgive my ignorance. For those in the know - help me out here. Is this the accurate representation for the AAAA state tournament? The MSHSL says they aren't placing teams into brackets until Monday, and yet this shows up today. I'm dubious whether it's accurate or just a placeholder. If accurate, it's honestly very stupid. Stewartville and Hutchinson have far and away been the two best AAAA teams this year, and you place them both in the same quarterfinal? Or is it predetermined to match certain section champs against each other? Again, forgive my ignorance. View attachment 21619
The lower levels are predetermined which section champs play which section champs

It’s quite stupid

The lower levels are predetermined which section champs play which section champs

It’s quite stupid
Thanks for responding! Yes, that is very stupid. Good for me, though, as a North Branch fan. Rightfully we should be matched up with Stewartville or Hutchinson, but we might be able to at least give Rocori a game and sneak into a game at the Vikings stadium.

Thanks for responding! Yes, that is very stupid. Good for me, though, as a North Branch fan. Rightfully we should be matched up with Stewartville or Hutchinson, but we might be able to at least give Rocori a game and sneak into a game at the Vikings stadium.
I reserve the right to be wrong! But that’s the way it always was in football.
Hockey they seed top 5 and then random draw bottom 3
Same with hoops

Don’t think they do that with football unless I missed it

Yup. 6A does its own thing, but for 5A and below, the section vs section matchups are pre-determined. This year it's 3 vs 4 and 7 vs 8 on one side of the bracket, and 1 vs 2 and 5 vs 6 on the other side of the bracket.

And - the quarter-final game sites are also set before the playoffs. so you get some long trips for teams in the Southern part of the state. I think there is one quarter-final in Rochester. Every other quarter-final in all classes are in or North of the Twin Cities.

Tough with football and 7 classes. All tournaments used to be predetermined section match-up. Tough when you could end up with Warroad vs Caledonia and no common opponents for seeding purposes.

I also think they do 1-4 always play in quarters and 5-8. Not positive

update in Class 5A - Section 1:

Rochester Mayo defeats Owatonna 36-7.
Mayo will face Mankato West in the State Quarter-finals.

6A teams remaining:
Gold North: Maple Grove, Centennial
Maroon North: Stillwater
Gold South: Rosemount, Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, Shakopee
Maroon South: East Ridge

Against .500 or better records:
Shakopee (1-3): Wins EP 31-14; Losses PL 16-24, LS 10-28, Eagan 21-23
East Ridge (3-2): Wins Wbry 28-0, Eagan 31-24, PL 28-27; Losses EP 7-34, Stwtr 17-45
Centennial (3-2): Wins Tonka 8-7, Wbry 17-14, Wyzta 18-14; Losses Stwtr 28-29, MG 17-24
Lakeville South (3-2): Wins PL 21-17, Shak 28-10, WBL 30-0; Losses EP 6-21, RSMT 7-10
Stillwater (4-1): Wins Cent 29-28, ER 45-17, WBL 35-28, Brnd 38-21; Losses EP 14-35
Eden Prairie (5-2): Wins ER 34-7, LS 21-6, PL 28-14, Stwtr 35-14, Wbry 55-14;
Losses RSMT 7-14, Shak 14-31
Maple Grove (4-0): Wins Tonka 41-27, Cent 24-17, Wyzta 28-21, FL 54-21
Rosemount (5-0): Wins Eagan 39-7, EP 14-7, LS 10-7, PL 27-17, Wyzta 42-14

Shakopee - Signature win over EP. When this team hears the drums start beating it is lights out and opponents better hang on; however, they give up a lot of penalties on procedural stuff and the emotions run both ways. If healthy, and the drum beat starts, they could challenge EP again. If those hurt are out and EP scores early...they've had a good run.
East Ridge - The "Maroon" mantra doesn't stick to this team. Very athletic across the board and a team again that plays with emotion. They will need to control the ball more agains MG and not trade quick possessions...somehow.
Centennial - Ultra tough, ultra controlling and always a team that plays better as the season goes on. They match opponents regardless of who they are playing. They will need 10 minute drives and then force 3 and outs so Rosemount can't figure out how to attack them. They will enjoy the punch in the face contest...but as anyone from St. Paul knows...so does anyone Irish.
Lakeville South - The cougars have figured out they don't have the horses they did last year and that is leading to success late in the season. They still have great athletes and a smart coach, just not in all the spots on offense. If Stillwater cannot stop the T then this game may be over, because South's defensive unit is just as good as last year if not better.
Stillwater - Incredible group of athletes across the board. Still can't figure out how the EP game got away from them like it did; however, their coach used it to improve his team and they are better for it. The games they have to win now will take all the ponies can play to and adjust to. They have the players and the coach to do it.
Eden Prairie - The MOST tested team, the best post-season team, and a nightmare for any coaching staff to face...a second time. The eagles drew the mildest quartile, but need to beat the team that beat them to get to the show. And then might have to do it again in the first round. Mike Grant really enjoys these types of challenges and his players always respond to them.
Maple Grove - The team that is the most complete package. Top to bottom, and another team with a phenomenal coaching staff. The diversity of their offense will cause their next two opponents fits and that is why they could blow past them. The ONLY question is if they get to the championship their defensive front could face an opponent that is in a higher weight class and just as athletic.
Rosemount - It's obvious, a bunch of young men who really love to play football. It is hard to figure out who the starters are. They send a #2 in at anything from QB to OL to LB and the kid lights it up. A team that would play all night long whether up or down after 4. Good coach that has not won a state championship. We will find out if that is an asset or a liability to a group of players every coach on this page would love to have.

6A teams remaining:
Gold North: Maple Grove, Centennial
Maroon North: Stillwater
Gold South: Rosemount, Eden Prairie, Lakeville South, Shakopee
Maroon South: East Ridge

Against .500 or better records:
Shakopee (1-3): Wins EP 31-14; Losses PL 16-24, LS 10-28, Eagan 21-23
East Ridge (3-2): Wins Wbry 28-0, Eagan 31-24, PL 28-27; Losses EP 7-34, Stwtr 17-45
Centennial (3-2): Wins Tonka 8-7, Wbry 17-14, Wyzta 18-14; Losses Stwtr 28-29, MG 17-24
Lakeville South (3-2): Wins PL 21-17, Shak 28-10, WBL 30-0; Losses EP 6-21, RSMT 7-10
Stillwater (4-1): Wins Cent 29-28, ER 45-17, WBL 35-28, Brnd 38-21; Losses EP 14-35
Eden Prairie (5-2): Wins ER 34-7, LS 21-6, PL 28-14, Stwtr 35-14, Wbry 55-14;
Losses RSMT 7-14, Shak 14-31
Maple Grove (4-0): Wins Tonka 41-27, Cent 24-17, Wyzta 28-21, FL 54-21
Rosemount (5-0): Wins Eagan 39-7, EP 14-7, LS 10-7, PL 27-17, Wyzta 42-14

Shakopee - Signature win over EP. When this team hears the drums start beating it is lights out and opponents better hang on; however, they give up a lot of penalties on procedural stuff and the emotions run both ways. If healthy, and the drum beat starts, they could challenge EP again. If those hurt are out and EP scores early...they've had a good run.
East Ridge - The "Maroon" mantra doesn't stick to this team. Very athletic across the board and a team again that plays with emotion. They will need to control the ball more agains MG and not trade quick possessions...somehow.
Centennial - Ultra tough, ultra controlling and always a team that plays better as the season goes on. They match opponents regardless of who they are playing. They will need 10 minute drives and then force 3 and outs so Rosemount can't figure out how to attack them. They will enjoy the punch in the face contest...but as anyone from St. Paul knows...so does anyone Irish.
Lakeville South - The cougars have figured out they don't have the horses they did last year and that is leading to success late in the season. They still have great athletes and a smart coach, just not in all the spots on offense. If Stillwater cannot stop the T then this game may be over, because South's defensive unit is just as good as last year if not better.
Stillwater - Incredible group of athletes across the board. Still can't figure out how the EP game got away from them like it did; however, their coach used it to improve his team and they are better for it. The games they have to win now will take all the ponies can play to and adjust to. They have the players and the coach to do it.
Eden Prairie - The MOST tested team, the best post-season team, and a nightmare for any coaching staff to face...a second time. The eagles drew the mildest quartile, but need to beat the team that beat them to get to the show. And then might have to do it again in the first round. Mike Grant really enjoys these types of challenges and his players always respond to them.
Maple Grove - The team that is the most complete package. Top to bottom, and another team with a phenomenal coaching staff. The diversity of their offense will cause their next two opponents fits and that is why they could blow past them. The ONLY question is if they get to the championship their defensive front could face an opponent that is in a higher weight class and just as athletic.
Rosemount - It's obvious, a bunch of young men who really love to play football. It is hard to figure out who the starters are. They send a #2 in at anything from QB to OL to LB and the kid lights it up. A team that would play all night long whether up or down after 4. Good coach that has not won a state championship. We will find out if that is an asset or a liability to a group of players every coach on this page would love to have.
Nice breakdown and clear you have spent some time looking at all the teams in 6A. Curious how you see the final 8 shaking out. Weather will be an interesting factor as well. Forecast for Thursday looks windy and rainy and Friday looks frigid. Could make things interesting if the conditions are crappy.

Nice breakdown and clear you have spent some time looking at all the teams in 6A. Curious how you see the final 8 shaking out. Weather will be an interesting factor as well. Forecast for Thursday looks windy and rainy and Friday looks frigid. Could make things interesting if the conditions are crappy.
Thanks. I've enjoyed reading this thread and finally decided to join so I can post.

IMO
Bad weather benefits EP and Lakeville South based on the offenses Stillwater and Shakopee play.
Maple Grove and East Ridge are similar teams that face similar weather challenges, but as I stated before, East Ridge needs to put together sustained drives to keep the ball away from MG so maybe the forecast leads ER toward a path to victory. Rosemount/Centennial will become more of a slugfest than I originally thought. Centennial may be shy to pitch on the option, and Rosemount may stay away from passing the ball.

Turnovers are KILLERS at this point in the season as Wayzata found out in the second half against Rosemount. Coaches who don't adjust the risk/reward matrix early will live by it and die by it. You get behind things change, but those who temp fate early in weather truly put their teams fate on them as coaches instead of in the hands of the players to just make plays. Again, IMO.

If Prior Lake would have made it through the weather may have allowed them a chance to beat MG. If Edina would have made it through Rosemount would have benefitted from weather. I only mention these two because they were close games.

Attention GopherHolers, specifically FUBAR. EP revenge tour starts this week against Shakopee, who beat them handily during the regular season, unusual for a Grant team. Next up on the revenge tour is Rosemount, who beat them early on at Rosemount using a strong field position g ame and the Power T. Final revenge game is Maple Grove in the final. Make up for last year. Grant will have the team ready for the first game against Shakopee, come rain, cold, wind or low-hanging clouds. The team has picked up game emotion and swagger from Sather. I think you'll see a very motivated team this Thursday and it will build from there.

Attention GopherHolers, specifically FUBAR. EP revenge tour starts this week against Shakopee, who beat them handily during the regular season, unusual for a Grant team. Next up on the revenge tour is Rosemount, who beat them early on at Rosemount using a strong field position g ame and the Power T. Final revenge game is Maple Grove in the final. Make up for last year. Grant will have the team ready for the first game against Shakopee, come rain, cold, wind or low-hanging clouds. The team has picked up game emotion and swagger from Sather. I think you'll see a very motivated team this Thursday and it will build from there.
Guess we will see what happens. My ties are with Rosemount and while I don't feel like they have a great team they play great defense and can run the ball which makes them a tough out.

Will be fun to see how the games play out this week and who ends up heading to US Bank for the final 4.

Thanks for creating an account mike

Why "specifically FUBAR"?

Why "specifically FUBAR"?
Probably because you said Shakopee has a chance to beat EP again would be my guess. There is a reason why people don't like EP and some of the people from there :)

8 teams left in 6A. Combined 13 losses and 10 of them are to the remaining teams.

Rosemount 10-0
Maple Grove 10-0
Stillwater 9-1 lost to Eden Prairie (by 21)
Lakeville South 8-2 lost to Rosemount (by 3) and Eden Prairie (by 15)
Centennial 8-2 lost to Stillwater (by 1) and Maple Grove (by 7)
Eden Prairie 8-2 lost to Rosemount (by 7) and Shakopee (by 17)
Shakopee 7-3 lost to Prior Lake (by 8), Lakeville South (by 18), and Eagan (by 2)
East Ridge 7-3 lost Eden Prairie (by 27), Stillwater (by 28), and Osseo (by 16)

Top Bottom