All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

Hard to defend like 25% of the teams in 6a not being able to schedule some 5a teams. What makes some different?
You lose enough games and you get to win?
Needing an even number in the Metro District, Brainerd not ready for traveling every other week, and 6A hoping for a more Section common opponents. Makes sense. It will be interesting if Mayo becomes number 32 in 6A. Totino goes to 5A potentially because they can? Coon Rapids needs to be in the Metro District. They’ve had their chance.

Needing an even number in the Metro District, Brainerd not ready for traveling every other week, and 6A hoping for a more Section common opponents. Makes sense. It will be interesting if Mayo becomes number 32 in 6A. Totino goes to 5A potentially because they can? Coon Rapids needs to be in the Metro District. They’ve had their chance.
Brainerd already travels just as far in their 4 roads games as they would if they just played northern suburb schools
Is an Extra 7-15 minutes really that different?

I’m against 6a generally but if it’s gonna be a thing they have to do it the same for everyone. No favoritism

Brainerd already travels just as far in their 4 roads games as they would if they just played northern suburb schools

I’m against 6a generally but if it’s gonna be a thing they have to do it the same for everyone. No favoritism
They do but not but against schools they play in all sports. Playing schools and communities you typically play is a big part of HS football, right?

Meanwhile Eastview is 30% free and reduced lunch while rosemount super wealthy. But rosemount people still can’t let it go. This post as evidence of that
Yes, I think it's petty too. Lots of people in Rosemount with deep roots there and a lot of pride. However, I won't say that Rosemount High School is home to the super-wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. It's no Eden Prairie or Wayzata for sure. Apple Valley and Eagan can't be much different than Rosemount in per capita income, so your 30% number is probably no different than want you would find at RHS. (Also, I've lived in the Eastview and Rosemount school districts for almost 25 years. There is little to no difference between the two.)

Last edited:

They do but not but against schools they play in all sports. Playing schools and communities you typically play is a big part of HS football, right?
They already ended that for all of the suburbs with maroon gold?
Lakeville north vs forest lake is a thing
So Brainerd vs st micharl can be a thing

Again I’m against 6a but if they’re gonna do it have everyone do it.

Totino based on enrollment should be 4A I think. Same with Cretin.

They already ended that for all of the suburbs with maroon gold?
Lakeville north vs forest lake is a thing
So Brainerd vs st micharl can be a thing

Again I’m against 6a but if they’re gonna do it have everyone do it.
Not having one natural rival is very different than FL’s schedule

Meanwhile Eastview is 30% free and reduced lunch while rosemount super wealthy. But rosemount people still can’t let it go. This post as evidence of that
??? I thought Eastview was upper mid class like Lakeville? You make it sound like Burnsville. I clearly don't know Apple Valley like I thought I did!

Have you ever considered "running" (have no idea how it works) to be on the MSHSL board?

No idea if you have to be an active or have been an athletic director and/or coach?

Have you ever considered "running" (have no idea how it works) to be on the MSHSL board?

No idea if you have to be an active or have been an athletic director and/or coach?
I used to be involved more than I am now. I now work more adjacent to public education than in it

Yes, I think it's petty too. Lots of people in Rosemount with deep roots there and a lot of pride. However, I won't say that Rosemount High School is home to the super-wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. It's no Eden Prairie or Wayzata for sure. Apple Valley and Eagan can't be much different than Rosemount in per capita income, so your 30% number is probably no different than want you would find at RHS. (Also, I've lived in the Eastview and Rosemount school districts for almost 25 years. There is little to no difference between the two.)
Some free lunch rates to compare:
Rosemount: 9.7%
Eastview: 14%
Apple Valley: 31%
Eagan: 12%
Eden Prairie: 17%
Minnetonka: 4%
Wayzata: 5.5%
Edina: 12%
Hopkins: 29%

I got these off the State of MN School Report Card website. The percentages all seemed lower than I expected based off previous recent year numbers that I've seen. Curious if the formula for calculating free lunch rate changed in the last couple years. Either way these numbers should be good to look at poverty rate comparing one school to another.

It should be, but district scheduling has more or less killed that. Wayzata didn't play Minnetonka or Edina or Hopkins in football this year.

I got these off the State of MN School Report Card website. The percentages all seemed lower than I expected based off previous recent year numbers that I've seen. Curious if the formula for calculating free lunch rate changed in the last couple years. Either way these numbers should be good to look at poverty rate comparing one school to another.

some of the numbers may be skewed. due to covid, all students got free lunch for a couple of years, so families did not have to sign up to receive free & reduced-price benefits. but the statistics are based on the # of families who signed up. those numbers are also used to calculate other forms of state aid. in my district the Superintendent was begging families to fill out the paperwork so they could demonstrate the actual level of F & R families.

6A - round 2 - Fri, Nov 4

Lakeville North at Stillwater
White Bear Lake at Lakeville South
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Eden Prairie)

Forest Lake at Maple Grove
East Ridge at Prior Lake
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Chanhassen)

other side of the bracket
Woodbury at Eden Prairie
Mounds View at Shakopee
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Park Center)

Wayzata at Rosemount
Edina at Centennial
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Stillwater)

just for fun
5A Section Final games - all games Fri, Nov 4 unless noted)

Sect 1 - Owatonna at Rochester Mayo (Saturday, 11/5)
Sect 2 - Chanhassen at Mankato West
(winners meet in Quarterfinals)

Sect 5 - Cooper at Armstrong
Sect 6 - Rogers at Spring Lake Park

Sect 3 - Two Rivers at St. Thomas Academy
Sect 4 - St. Paul Central at Mahtomedi

Sect 7 - Andover at Elk River
Sect 8 - Sartell-St. Stephen at Moorhead

6A - round 2 - Fri, Nov 4

Lakeville North at Stillwater
White Bear Lake at Lakeville South
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Eden Prairie)

Forest Lake at Maple Grove
East Ridge at Prior Lake
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Chanhassen)

other side of the bracket
Woodbury at Eden Prairie
Mounds View at Shakopee
---- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Park Center)

Wayzata at Rosemount
Edina at Centennial
--- (Quarterfinal 11/11 at Stillwater)
Any idea how they choose the neutral sites for the quarterfinals?

Any idea how they choose the neutral sites for the quarterfinals?
School put in to host and have to meet requirements for capacity and have turf. They also have to make sure that host school isn’t playing on the same day for staffing purposes. Many of the sites host year after year with some changes.

All numbers are super wonky right now.
Everything was free for a while due to Covid. Big pitches made to get qualifying families to actually sign up since they didn’t actually need to sign up to get free and reduced lunch.

It should be, but district scheduling has more or less killed that. Wayzata didn't play Minnetonka or Edina or Hopkins in football this year.
But they did get to play Farmington and Roseville!

All numbers are super wonky right now.
Everything was free for a while due to Covid. Big pitches made to get qualifying families to actually sign up since they didn’t actually need to sign up to get free and reduced lunch.
Those numbers don't tell you much. The per capita income in Rosemount is about $44,000. In Apple Valley, it's $42,0000. There's no significant difference in the economic demographics between Eastview and Rosemount. My only point was the Rosemount football coach had to start from scratch when he took over in the late 90s and has built one of the better programs in the state. I would say the vast majority of Rosemount residents have no ill will toward Eastview and could care less about what happened 25 years ago with the two school districts. Rosemount has changed a lot in those years growing from a small town of less than 10,000 to a suburban city of over 25,000. For better or worse, there are people who want to hold on to the city's small town past which is slowly disappearing.

Those numbers don't tell you much. The per capita income in Rosemount is about $44,000. In Apple Valley, it's $42,0000. There's no significant difference in the economic demographics between Eastview and Rosemount. My only point was the Rosemount football coach had to start from scratch when he took over in the late 90s and has built one of the better programs in the state. I would say the vast majority of Rosemount residents have no ill will toward Eastview and could care less about what happened 25 years ago with the two school districts. Rosemount has changed a lot in those years growing from a small town of less than 10,000 to a suburban city of over 25,000. For better or worse, there are people who want to hold on to the city's small town past which is slowly disappearing.
Thanks for the history lesson

I'm surprised that any of the schools in ISD 196 have free and reduced numbers that high.

just for fun
5A Section Final games - all games Fri, Nov 4 unless noted)

Sect 1 - Owatonna at Rochester Mayo (Saturday, 11/5)
Sect 2 - Chanhassen at Mankato West

Sect 5 - Cooper at Armstrong
Sect 6 - Rogers at Spring Lake Park

Sect 3 - Two Rivers at St. Thomas Academy
Sect 4 - St. Paul Central at Mahtomedi

Sect 7 - Andover at Elk River
Sect 8 - Sartell-St. Stephen at Moorhead
Really surprised by two rivers. This is what happens when you have empty sections.
A team that played a 4a and 3a schedule was the 2 seed in a 6 team 5a section. Opening the door for two rivers to spring one upset over Hastings and then basically be a pick ‘em

St Thomas academy can rest their starters in the section final

Really surprised by two rivers. This is what happens when you have empty sections.
A team that played a 4a and 3a schedule was the 2 seed in a 6 team 5a section. Opening the door for two rivers to spring one upset over Hastings and then basically be a pick ‘em

St Thomas academy can rest their starters in the section final
They really need to cross over sections at the lower classes like 6A. Stacked sections should have a better chance to get teams to the "Dome"

Maybe go to 30 teams. Drop Brainerd and Totino down and keep Coon Rapids at 6A. That would follow the current cut off and take away all the maneuvering.
Give 2 byes in the playoffs and cross over sections. Two 7 team sections are paired for regular season and 2 8 team sections.

Maybe go to 30 teams. Drop Brainerd and Totino down and keep Coon Rapids at 6A. That would follow the current cut off and take away all the maneuvering.
Give 2 byes in the playoffs and cross over sections. Two 7 team sections are paired for regular season and 2 8 team sections.
Why would coon rapids be the one dropped they aren’t even close to the bottom of enrollment?

Why would coon rapids be the one dropped they aren’t even close to the bottom of enrollment?
Coon Rapids would be 6A and Brainerd and Totino go to 5A. That would leave 30 teams in 6A and end the issue will playing out of class during the season. Now if Totino goes on to win 5A, the complainers will be back.

Coon Rapids would be 6A and Brainerd and Totino go to 5A. That would leave 30 teams in 6A and end the issue will playing out of class during the season. Now if Totino goes on to win 5A, the complainers will be back.
The whole point of 6a was to put the top 32 teams in one league.

If that’s no longer the point they should redefine why 6a exists and base who is in it off that.
32 was a number that made sense based on 4 8 team sections.
If they are going to go 30 they should decide why the class exists and pick a number based on that.
18-24 may be more logical if we aren’t going with the originally picked arbitrary 32.

Top Bottom