All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

Right.

Seems blatantly obvious.

So clearly then it was an agenda of powers that be to not have it that way, for some reason.
They wanted district play to have larger pools to schedule from and cut down on distance because section play can cause a bit of travel.

This isn't an issue for Metro teams other than Brainerd, so they kept them in a 5A regular season schedule for travel.

District play works outstate for smaller schools and Section play would be perfect for 6A with cross over playoffs. I would even consider cross over playoffs for smaller classes. Section 1 has some really good smaller class football for example. Why not have sections 1/2 cross over and 3/4, 5/6, 7/8? Work to get best teams to the state tournament. It could still be a nice geographic representation.

Last edited:

They wanted district play to have larger pools to schedule from and cut down on distance because section play can cause a bit of travel.

This isn't an issue for Metro teams other than Brainerd, so they kept them in a 5A regular season schedule for travel.
They also kept coon rapids at 5a for the regular season because they are corrupt

They also kept coon rapids at 5a for the regular season because they are corrupt
I knew if I commented long enough you would come a calling :ROFLMAO: They actually needed 30 teams instead of 31 so it makes sense for weekly scheduling. You can argue another team should have been chosen, but they needed 30 teams to have 15 6A games each week and no byes.

That should get fixed this next cycle, I hope.

I would not say the MSHSL is "corrupt."

frequently Inept - yes.
often tone-deaf - yes.

and their website is a joke. It's almost mind-boggling to think that a state-wide organization - after a complete overhaul - is left with a website that is difficult to navigate and makes it hard to find information. and they don't know how to format a stinkin' bracket for tournaments.............

frequently Inept - yes.
often tone-deaf - yes.

and their website is a joke. It's almost mind-boggling to think that a state-wide organization - after a complete overhaul - is left with a website that is difficult to navigate and makes it hard to find information. and they don't know how to format a stinkin' bracket for tournaments.............
No kidding. If you hadn't posted the 6a matchups, I wasn't able to find them elsewhere, like say, the MSHSL site (you know, where they SHOULD be.)

No kidding. If you hadn't posted the 6a matchups, I wasn't able to find them elsewhere, like say, the MSHSL site (you know, where they SHOULD be.)
They try really hard to not treat any division or class differently. I’m sure they tiptoed around being part of Shaver’s bracket release show for 6A. The website is slow and I agree annoying to navigate.

I have taken a few swipes at SON over the years but here he speaks the most accurate words ever posted on Gopherhole.

The MSHSL website is a complete joke. Not impossible, but extremely difficult to navigate to find whatever you want. Even simple high traffic things are an adventure on their website. I only go there when I completely run out of other options to find what I am looking for. And yes, even seemingly harmless things like section tournament brackets are clunky to navigate and poorly presented. Their website has long been a complete failure.

I have taken a few swipes at SON over the years but here he speaks the most accurate words ever posted on Gopherhole.

The MSHSL website is a complete joke. Not impossible, but extremely difficult to navigate to find whatever you want. Even simple high traffic things are an adventure on their website. I only go there when I completely run out of other options to find what I am looking for. And yes, even seemingly harmless things like section tournament brackets are clunky to navigate and poorly presented. Their website has long been a complete failure.
I got so annoyed by the 6A bracket format on their website that I downloaded a free bracket template and just made my own :)

District play works outstate for smaller schools and Section play would be perfect for 6A with cross over playoffs. I would even consider cross over playoffs for smaller classes. Section 1 has some really good smaller class football for example. Why not have sections 1/2 cross over and 3/4, 5/6, 7/8? Work to get best teams to the state tournament. It could still be a nice geographic representation.
Welp, sorry to the big outstate schools. Break yourselves up into smaller schools, I guess? LOL

One outlier in particular is Moorhead. They quite honestly should just be allowed to compete in whatever the top class of North Dakota is. Silly to make them travel 4 hours each way to play Metro Mpls schools.

Welp, sorry to the big outstate schools. Break yourselves up into smaller schools, I guess? LOL

One outlier in particular is Moorhead. They quite honestly should just be allowed to compete in whatever the top class of North Dakota is. Silly to make them travel 4 hours each way to play Metro Mpls schools.
They play Elk River and Rogers which are 3 hour drives. (one per year in regular season). Playoffs are Alexandria, St. Cloud Area Schools, and Bemidji (2H15M)

They play Elk River and Rogers which are 3 hour drives. (one per year in regular season). Playoffs are Alexandria, St. Cloud Area Schools, and Bemidji (2H15M)
Would bet their youth teams play Fargo and West Fargo youth teams, and know all those players.

If given the choice, I would guess that they would choose to play Eastern ND teams. Could easily be wrong though.

Would bet their youth teams play Fargo and West Fargo youth teams, and know all those players.

If given the choice, I would guess that they would choose to play Eastern ND teams. Could easily be wrong though.
I assume they only play this schedule for varsity. 9th and 10th/JV probably play ND schools.

And that is after a substantial redesign a few years ago.

frequently Inept - yes.
often tone-deaf - yes.

I believe they are corrupt.
People doing favors for people they know is the only logical explanation for the same disparities benefiting the same programs in cycle after cycle.

It would be awesome to see the smaller classes do crossover games at the section level. Direct quote from the MSHSL when this was proposed, "We don't care about the best teams making it to state. We want representation from all over the state."

Of course that same "rule" doesn't apply to 6A. Apparently there they do want the best teams to make it to state in that class. Just more hypocrisy from the MSHSL.....

It would be awesome to see the smaller classes do crossover games at the section level. Direct quote from the MSHSL when this was proposed, "We don't care about the best teams making it to state. We want representation from all over the state."

Of course that same "rule" doesn't apply to 6A. Apparently there they do want the best teams to make it to state in that class. Just more hypocrisy from the MSHSL.....
They could still get good geography by crossing over neighboring sections. Just don't have North ever Cross over with South.

1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 Two year cycle
1v3, 2v4, 6v7, 5v8 Two year cycle
1v4, 2v3, 6v8, 5v7 Two year cycle

They could still get good geography by crossing over neighboring sections. Just don't have North ever Cross over with South.

1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 Two year cycle
1v3, 2v4, 6v7, 5v8 Two year cycle
1v4, 2v3, 6v8, 5v7 Two year cycle
I completely agree, but the MSHSL does NOT care.

Section Semi-Final Weekend is here.

6A Games on Friday and the rest on Saturday. What are you looking forward to?

Section 3A Top 4 teams are all 7-2
Section 5A Top 3 teams are 8-1 and Minneota is #4 at 7-2.
Section 2AA Has St. Clair/Loyola (Public/Private Coop at 9-0) Top 4 are 6-3 or better.
Section 4AA had 5 teams with 2 or fewer losses. Semi's 4 v1 and 6 v 2
Section 5AA has two undefeated teams
Section 6AAA and 7AAA look the most competitive.
Nothing jumps out in AAAA for this weekend. Section 7 looks completive between hockey schools
2AAAAA had West vs Chaska, and Chanhassen vs Waconia. All 7-2 or better.
6AAAAA has 1v4 Rematch of a 1 score game Spring Lake Park and Irondale.
7AAAAA has 3 Andover at 2 St. Francis in rematch (St. Francis won 20-18) to likely play Elk River in Final
AAAAAA has cross over games so 3vs6 & 4vs5 can all be really good games. Here are probably the best games tomorrow night

4v5
Minnetonka v Lakeville N
Eagan v Forest Lake
STMA vs Wayzata
Woodbury vs Osseo

3v6
Blaine vs Edina
Totino Grace vs East Ridge

frequently Inept - yes.
often tone-deaf - yes.

I think the counter argument to them is they are closely tied to bylaws and don't vary from them frequently. This is a good and bad thing in my opinion. A few years ago, the MSHSL took a lot of crap because they did not allow Minnehaha Academy to compete in a national basketball tournament that was held in early April. MSHSL was spot on with this decision. Why should a school like Minnehaha get special privileges to play in a tournament out of a season with their team and coach when no other school is allowed the same opportunity to play in a weekend tournament at the neighboring high school?

There are other situations where common sense would help them.. the hockey jersey around the cop that was shot in the head and a few other situations that they didn't allow but I think they try to stick as close to their bylaws as possible so they don't get stuck in a situation where they are allowing some things for some schools but aren't allowing things for other schools.

Rosemount is already beating Roseville 23-0 halfway through the first, don’t know that i’ve ever seen that before

wow. Hopkins is getting beat even worse. 40-0 after 1 quarter according to MNFootballHub, i’m questioning if that’s correct.

Rosemount went TD, safety, kickoff return TD, int. Return TD
Yeah, it was pretty unreal. Roseville was completely overmatched. First sign the game was going to a mess was on the opening kickoff when Roseville went for a surprise onside and the ball only travelled like 7 yards. Final was 57-0 with running time for the entire 2nd half and Rosemount going with all their backups.

Not a lot in the way of upsets outside of Mounds View knocking off Champlin Park and Edina beating Blaine. A few 5s beat 4s but all the 1s, 2s, and 3s advanced.

2nd round will be interesting, won't be surprised to see some more upsets in that round.

Yeah, it was pretty unreal. Roseville was completely overmatched. First sign the game was going to a mess was on the opening kickoff when Roseville went for a surprise onside and the ball only travelled like 7 yards. Final was 57-0 with running time for the entire 2nd half and Rosemount going with all their backups.

Not a lot in the way of upsets outside of Mounds View knocking off Champlin Park and Edina beating Blaine. A few 5s beat 4s but all the 1s, 2s, and 3s advanced.

2nd round will be interesting, won't be surprised to see some more upsets in that round.
Roseville should’ve been playing Hopkins last night.
Brainerd should’ve been playing a 6a schedule so their 5-3 team wasn’t the 8 seed.

Roseville should’ve been playing Hopkins last night.
Brainerd should’ve been playing a 6a schedule so their 5-3 team wasn’t the 8 seed.
Hard to defend Hopkins playing in a section schedule during the regular season. They’d lose every game in the 5A section schedule too. Can’t fix teams like Roseville and Hopkins quickly

Hard to defend Hopkins playing in a section schedule during the regular season. They’d lose every game in the 5A section schedule too. Can’t fix teams like Roseville and Hopkins quickly
Hard to defend like 25% of the teams in 6a not being able to schedule some 5a teams. What makes some different?
You lose enough games and you get to win?

It was correct. Hopkins had a very difficult season.
How do you keep kids, who live in your district and are talented younger players, from leaving the district to take their talents elsewhere, when you have seasons like that?

Bummer. Hope they don't become the next SLP.

That was Jeff Ehrman's 200 win for Rosemount. They have a pretty good football history but they were down when he took over. When Eastview High School was started in 1997 Rosemount was left with about 25 players on the football team because of the way the district lines were drawn. Still some bitterness with a few Rosemount residents over that.

Last edited:

That was Jeff Ehrman's 200 win for Rosemount. They have a pretty good football history but they were down when he took over. When Eastview High School was started in 1997 Rosemount was left with about 25 players on the football team because of the way the district lines were drawn. Still some bitterness with a few Rosemount residents over that.
Meanwhile Eastview is 30% free and reduced lunch while rosemount super wealthy. But rosemount people still can’t let it go. This post as evidence of that

Top Bottom