All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

I was definitely more interested in Jose Abreu then Rodon etc. And it's another reason I hate letting Urshella go for nothing. For all the "log jam" in the infield, who's the DH on this team? You could easily have had Urshella at 3B and Arreaz/Miranda at 1B/DH
Trading Urshela for an unproven prospect is borderline criminal. Unless he isnt a great dug house presence, that was a bad bad bad trade.

Trading Urshela for an unproven prospect is borderline criminal. Unless he isnt a great dug house presence, that was a bad bad bad trade.
I think it was mainly to "save" the $9 million salary. But for what? Correa's not coming. They're going to end up with a $110 million payroll that's $35 million less than last year. It was a moronic decision.

I think it was mainly to "save" the $9 million salary. But for what? Correa's not coming. They're going to end up with a $110 million payroll that's $35 million less than last year. It was a moronic decision.
9 million is a bargain now a days. If they needed those savings to sign Correa, I dont even want him

9 million is a bargain now a days. If they needed those savings to sign Correa, I dont even want him
I think they viewed it also as essentially trading him for the SS from Cincinnati, but that wasn't an either/or choice.

I think they viewed it also as essentially trading him for the SS from Cincinnati, but that wasn't an either/or choice.
their roster is not strong. 3B is always a tough position to fill. Should have been hoping Ursela could reproduce his 2022 so we could start talking extension.

This may end up being my most hated front office in MN sports history

their roster is not strong. 3B is always a tough position to fill. Should have been hoping Ursela could reproduce his 2022 so we could start talking extension.

This may end up being my most hated front office in MN sports history
It's already up there for me. David Khan was more inept, but I don't care that much about the Wolves so it was more amusing than this.

I was definitely more interested in Jose Abreu then Rodon etc. And it's another reason I hate letting Urshella go for nothing. For all the "log jam" in the infield, who's the DH on this team? You could easily have had Urshella at 3B and Arreaz/Miranda at 1B/DH
Buxton I suspect will be the DH for 50 or so games, at least. If healthy.

Buxton I suspect will be the DH for 50 or so games, at least. If healthy.
Buxton will DH 1-2 days per week. So, yeah maybe 50 if he plays the full season, which we know is unlikely. Not enough to alter your plans for that spot.

Buxton will DH 1-2 days per week. So, yeah maybe 50 if he plays the full season, which we know is unlikely. Not enough to alter your plans for that spot.
I do not disagree. Hopefully they can find a left handed bat for the the majority of the other ABs for that position.

On Urshela, the Twins made a value judgement. They want Miranda playing 3B. His fielding will not be as good as Urshela, but they think he'll hit better. we'll see if they're right.

after that, the lineup all hinges on whether they sign Correa.
If they sign Correa, he's the SS and Farmer becomes the roving infield utility man.
If they don't sign Correa, then Farmer is the SS until Royce Lewis has come back from the ACL and played at St. Paul for a month or so.

and of course, if they sign Correa, then they have to do something with Lewis.
thinking out loud: DH Arraez, move Miranda to 1B and Lewis goes to 3B.

but there are so many moving pieces:
how many games can/does Buxton play in CF?
is Kirilloff able to return from the surgery?
what is Larnach's ceiling?
Do they move Kepler and let Wallner play RF?

On Urshela, the Twins made a value judgement. They want Miranda playing 3B. His fielding will not be as good as Urshela, but they think he'll hit better. we'll see if they're right.

after that, the lineup all hinges on whether they sign Correa.
If they sign Correa, he's the SS and Farmer becomes the roving infield utility man.
If they don't sign Correa, then Farmer is the SS until Royce Lewis has come back from the ACL and played at St. Paul for a month or so.

and of course, if they sign Correa, then they have to do something with Lewis.
thinking out loud: DH Arraez, move Miranda to 1B and Lewis goes to 3B.

but there are so many moving pieces:
how many games can/does Buxton play in CF?
is Kirilloff able to return from the surgery?
what is Larnach's ceiling?
Do they move Kepler and let Wallner play RF?
FWIW- Miranda had a more productive season than Gio last year and because he’s a PR native, he’s spending the winter training with Correra in Houston = Franchise Cornerstone!

Jose
.266 15 HRs 66 RBIs (team lead) in 444 ABs

Vs.

Gio
.285 14 HRs 64 RBIs in 501 ABs

The natives will not like this move. I’m not sure it’s such a bad move now given the defensive position liability that Arreaz is. He is also only really valuable if he’s batting .330 and not .280 as he plays premium power and production positions of 1st base and DH.

The natives will not like this move. I’m not sure it’s such a bad move now given the defensive position liability that Arreaz is. He is also only really valuable if he’s batting .330 and not .280 as he plays premium power and production positions of 1st base and DH.
And the tweet is gone…it’s was breaking news from twins daily that the twins had traded Arreaz to the Marlins for Lopez

That could be an issue. Mets gonna spend a billion dollars on payroll and still finish 9 games out in the east behind Philly and the Braves.

But he liked us. He’ll never get a job in this market again.

Line up now to get your Farmer authentic jerseys only $400.00 each.

That’s an insane contract for Correa

Ridiculous. How many years until his play isn't on par with that contract?

Baseball needs to address these megadeals that are extended out so far with the intention of circumventing the tax structure put in place to try to help competitive balance. 13 years?!?

The issue isn't that they didn't get Correa. It's that they sat on their thumbs while every decent free agent went elsewhere when anyone with any sense knew they'd get left at the altar. Boras played our idiotic front office for fools.

At this point, the best outcome is for 2023 to tank hard enough to get the front office fired. But I think they can lose 100 and they'll still be back. I'm not sure which team is more hopeless right now. The Wolves, the Twins or Gopher basketball. So much ineptitude.

The issue isn't that they didn't get Correa. It's that they sat on their thumbs while every decent free agent went elsewhere when anyone with any sense knew they'd get left at the altar. Boras played our idiotic front office for fools.

At this point, the best outcome is for 2023 to tank hard enough to get the front office fired. But I think they can lose 100 and they'll still be back. I'm not sure which team is more hopeless right now. The Wolves, the Twins or Gopher basketball. So much ineptitude.
Theres so many gaps on the team that Correa wasnt going to make a huge difference.

At least Lewis can simply fill in and play SS to start the season. Oh wait the brain trust thought it would be smart to put him in left field for no reason and no practice and he tore his acl havin no idea how to prepare to jump into a wall. He’s now out until July probably and is now coming off 2 ACL injuries. I am sure that will have no impact on his lateral quickness.

I’m sure Twins will find some way to honor him in 15 years when he’s in the HOF, they’ll trot out a MN Twins Correra bobble head giveaway in an attempt to affiliate ourselves with him.

Top Bottom