All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

from Mike Florio - Pro Football Focus:

Las Vegas usually knows what’s going on. On Aaron Rodgers, Las Vegas reportedly thinks it knows what he’ll be doing next week.

Via Bill Huber of SI.com, multiple sports books believe Rodgers will announce his retirement before Wednesday’s initial practice of training camp. Per Huber, Westgate Superbook has “closed all its NFC North markets, including projected wins, playoff odds, divisional odds and weekly lines for the four division teams.”

PointsBet sports book, which not long ago put the Green Bay over-under win total back on the board at nine, has once again removed Green Bay from the list of 32 teams. DraftKings also has removed the Green Bay over-under win total, along with its Packers-related “Team Specials.” (The other 31 teams have them.)

As one source with knowledge of the dynamics of the Rodgers situation said in response to these developments, “Vegas oddsmakers tend to be pretty sharp.” The source added that a lot of scenarios are in play, and “many, many factors” will be relevant to the outcome.

Nonsense. This is all part of the Packers grand scheme to......?

Won't matter when Cousins is sidelined with Delta. The guy who is supposed to lead the team is more than happy to allow an outbreak and forfeit games and game checks to avoid a jab in the arm. A true scumbag.
They need to sign Matt Moore asap. Mond isn't ready and the other two aren't legit NFL talents.

Won't matter when Cousins is sidelined with Delta. The guy who is supposed to lead the team is more than happy to allow an outbreak and forfeit games and game checks to avoid a jab in the arm. A true scumbag.
"If I die, I die!"

A very enlightened and understanding take of you.

As far as signing another backup other than what's on the roster? Obviously Cousins is about as durable as it gets so that helps a lot. Mond is clearly a ways off but I think with decent coaching, which he didn't get that much of in college at the position, he could probably come far enough along during fall camp and the first month or two of the season that he could be serviceable for short periods during the season..... at least until there's enough tape on him for opposing defenses. Some of his issues (footwork, etc) could sure come a long ways in just a few weeks.

Mond is a solid year away from being trusted with meaningful EXTENDED minutes/starts, but I think he can progress to the point where he can take some snaps this year. Purple colored glasses, the whole thing, I know.

A very enlightened and understanding take of you.

What's to understand? If he catches covid....it could cause the team to forfeit games? Not to mention cause the team lots and lots of money. Why? It's not really a case of "well I'm not concerned about catching the virus. I don't think it will hurt me." anymore. Now it's a case of does he care at all about the team and playing. Is he fine cashing a paycheck? If that is the case....we know what kind of player he is. Someone with absolutely zero competitive nature. Someone who the Vikings couldn't have won with regardless of circumstances.

Cash those paychecks and sit out the year, Cousins. You were a total waste of time and money.

What's to understand? If he catches covid....it could cause the team to forfeit games? Not to mention cause the team lots and lots of money. Why? It's not really a case of "well I'm not concerned about catching the virus. I don't think it will hurt me." anymore. Now it's a case of does he care at all about the team and playing. Is he fine cashing a paycheck? If that is the case....we know what kind of player he is. Someone with absolutely zero competitive nature. Someone who the Vikings couldn't have won with regardless of circumstances.

Cash those paychecks and sit out the year, Cousins. You were a total waste of time and money.
Example - Jon Rahm, had covid, vaccinated, positive test again and is withdrawing from Olympics. It's not as simple as you might want it to be.

So what we should do....

1. Jump to deciding the character of a guy, you know very little about.

2. Strong arm to get a vaccine, by saying he doesn't care about his teammates and isn't competitive and could potentially cause financial concerns.

3. Drag him through the mud.

That should satisfy.

Something else to consider - if a team has to forfeit a game due to a covid outbreak, BOTH teams involved in that game lose a game check.

Imagine a scenario where the Vikings have an outbreak and have to forfeit a game. Imagine the situation inside the locker room where the vaccinated players are blaming the unvaccinated players for costing them money.

Lots of manufacturing companies or trucking companies require a drug test as a condition of employment. I see no difference between that and a sports team requiring all of its employees to be vaccinated.

to me, a player refusing to be vaccinated is putting himself and his own interests ahead of the team.
In essence, Kirk Cousins is saying "I am willing to put the team's season at risk, and potentially run the risk of costing my teammates money if a game is forfeited." And he is supposed to be the 'leader' of the offense.

Example - Jon Rahm, had covid, vaccinated, positive test again and is withdrawing from Olympics. It's not as simple as you might want it to be.

So what we should do....

1. Jump to deciding the character of a guy, you know very little about.

2. Strong arm to get a vaccine, by saying he doesn't care about his teammates and isn't competitive and could potentially cause financial concerns.

3. Drag him through the mud.

That should satisfy.

First post used to describe a completely different situation? Rahm admitted his mistake of not getting vaccinated. Completely his choice. The difference is that his decision AFFECT HIM ALONE.

Cousins is part of a team. A team in which he is supposed to be the leader. Refusing to get the vaccine is ridiculous at this point. He knows the rules set out by the NFL. If he refuses to get the vaccine.....and ends up catching it.....it could cost the team not only in the win/loss column.....but it could cost the team lots of money.

So.....what should we do??? Anyone with living in reality should be ready to jump to conclusions on this. If he chooses to hold out on the vaccine.....it's because he doesn't care if he plays or not. There's already been lots of talk about the guys drive.....but if he chooses to be a stick on the mud on this.....there's no question that this guy simply doesn't care. Not sure what the financial implications are for him.....but it would leave zero question about the guys competitive drive.

And this isn't coming from a Cousins hater.

An NFL quarterback has zero competitive drive. Think about that statement for a second. Guess you just can sign up and walk into an NFL starting quarterback gig.

This coming from a guy that doesn't think Cousins can win the Vikes a Super Bowl, because I've seen him see a blitz and fold up like a lawn chair, more times than I care to see. We need a Manning and Broncos scenario to play out. Just be somewhat ok.

But to classify someone because of their beliefs, we can do better than that.

Something else to consider - if a team has to forfeit a game due to a covid outbreak, BOTH teams involved in that game lose a game check.

Imagine a scenario where the Vikings have an outbreak and have to forfeit a game. Imagine the situation inside the locker room where the vaccinated players are blaming the unvaccinated players for costing them money.

Lots of manufacturing companies or trucking companies require a drug test as a condition of employment. I see no difference between that and a sports team requiring all of its employees to be vaccinated.

to me, a player refusing to be vaccinated is putting himself and his own interests ahead of the team.
In essence, Kirk Cousins is saying "I am willing to put the team's season at risk, and potentially run the risk of costing my teammates money if a game is forfeited." And he is supposed to be the 'leader' of the offense.
'To me, a player refusing to be vaccinated is putting himself and his own interest ahead of the team."

What's your thoughts about a mom that has a kid and takes leave? How dare they put themselves and their own interests ahead of the team. Someone will need to pick up the slack. Guess what they need to do for pre-employment.... are you going to have a kid and be taking leave.

Again, this is solely pressuring someone because their belief doesn't align with yours.

An NFL quarterback has zero competitive drive. Think about that statement for a second. Guess you just can sign up and walk into an NFL starting quarterback gig.

This coming from a guy that doesn't think Cousins can win the Vikes a Super Bowl, because I've seen him see a blitz and fold up like a lawn chair, more times than I care to see. We need a Manning and Broncos scenario to play out. Just be somewhat ok.

But to classify someone because of their beliefs, we can do better than that.

Yeah....lots of very talented guys let their ability go to waste because they don't care. Cousins has never really come off as a guy that cared all that much. And if he's ready to throw away his season because of the vaccination....I think I'm probably dead on.

As for classifying him because of his beliefs? What are his beliefs? That he doesn't NEED the vaccine. Fine. You get it because you want to play. It's not like we're forcing his wife to get an abortion.

'To me, a player refusing to be vaccinated is putting himself and his own interest ahead of the team."

What's your thoughts about a mom that has a kid and takes leave? How dare they put themselves and their own interests ahead of the team. Someone will need to pick up the slack. Guess what they need to do for pre-employment.... are you going to have a kid and be taking leave.

Again, this is solely pressuring someone because their belief doesn't align with yours.

As bad as your comparison of Cousins to Rahm.

Mom taking leave because of a child for one reason or another. That's not a selfish act. Refusing to get a vaccine.....and putting the team at risk.....for no apparent reason is entirely selfish. He hasn't come out and said why he won't get vaccinated. It's an "I don't want to" reason. The same selfish ass reason that many are throwing out there.

Sorry. Not valid.

Are you really comparing an NFL starting quarterback job to mom taking maternity leave from an office job? Come on.

Mom taking leave because of a child for one reason or another. That's not a selfish act. Refusing to get a vaccine.....and putting the team at risk.....for no apparent reason is entirely selfish. He hasn't come out and said why he won't get vaccinated. It's an "I don't want to" reason. The same selfish ass reason that many are throwing out there.

Sorry. Not valid.
Maybe I did compare... but thought I simply stated Rahm having covid. Finishing his vaccination. Playing golf. Then getting covid again. Which, my take was... in your world, it appears getting the vaccine solves all problems and would make Cousins a wonderful human being. If it did solve everything, why is Rahm out of the Olympics? That's the point I was trying to make there.

What if Cousins gets the vaccine and then tests positive for covid anyways? He had better intentions, so let's forget about what we said about it. He got the vaccine! He's our fearless leader now! So much competitive drive in that arm.

Sorry, SON. That's kind of a weak take. If you take a look around, the players have been very supportive of the decisions of their teammates with respect to this issue.

You really don't see the difference between trying to prevent the players from putting a few select banned substances in their body compared to forcing and coercing people to put something into their body against their will? You surely don't believe that

Maybe I did compare... but thought I simply stated Rahm having covid. Finishing his vaccination. Playing golf. Then getting covid again. Which, my take was... in your world, it appears getting the vaccine solves all problems and would make Cousins a wonderful human being. If it did solve everything, why is Rahm out of the Olympics? That's the point I was trying to make there.

What if Cousins gets the vaccine and then tests positive for covid anyways? He had better intentions, so let's forget about what we said about it. He got the vaccine! He's our fearless leader now! So much competitive drive in that arm.

No. I believe Rahm got hit with a false positive.

But once again....your point is very very stupid and poorly thought out. If he chooses not to get the vaccine....he probably won't play and it will be entirely his fault. If he gets the vaccine and then tests positive....it won't be his fault at all.

Vaccine effectiveness is through the roof. Most everyone currently testing positive are unvaccinated. Using one example of someone giving a false positive doesn't back your claim that getting the vaccine is not worth it.

Are you even thinking these posts through. At all?

Sorry, SON. That's kind of a weak take. If you take a look around, the players have been very supportive of the decisions of their teammates with respect to this issue.

You really don't see the difference between trying to prevent the players from putting a few select banned substances in their body compared to forcing and coercing people to put something into their body against their will? You surely don't believe that

Another stupid take.

Nobody is being forced. Players can admit that they are terrified of a vaccine that hundreds of millions of people have taken.....and proven to be incredibly effective.....and sit for the year. Not many are going to do that....because most aren't giant cowards. And most don't want to leave their teams out to dry. And most wouldn't even consider sitting out an entire season because they want to compete.

Cousins is one of a very few in that sad list of cowards. Your people. The coward people.

Not all beliefs are created equal. I could have the belief that I’m an excellent driver even when I’m drunk so I can drive drunk whenever I want to. The situation here is he and many others believe they know more about all this than the experts. He’s allowed to believe that but it doesn’t mean there can’t be consequences to that belief.

The chances of that happening are significantly lower if he’s vaccinated. Unvaccinated will get tested everyday during the season.

Then he doesn't play, but if he causes an outbreak, then the team doesn't forfeit their pay.

He has a loser's mentality. Exact opposite of Brady's public position. There's a reason Brady is a winner.

The chances of that happening are significantly lower if he’s vaccinated. Unvaccinated will get tested everyday during the season.
Significantly lower? How much lower exactly? How do you know this? And will those chances be "significantly lower" when it comes to the effectiveness against each of the different strains of the virus? And how much lower against those different strains? If at all?

Soooooo, a vaccine doesn't come close to ensuring you won't acquire the virus, and a positive test by no means is 100% definitive that you DO have the virus, and the world's greatest athletes in their 20's and early 30's have shown to be MASSIVELY able to handle coming down with the virus.... But..... we should absolutely mandate that every player in the NFL gets this shoved down their throat?

Not all beliefs are created equal. I could have the belief that I’m an excellent driver even when I’m drunk so I can drive drunk whenever I want to. The situation here is he and many others believe they know more about all this than the experts. He’s allowed to believe that but it doesn’t mean there can’t be consequences to that belief.
That's a fair assessment, it's just a classic case of risk tolerance and potential consequences. That's what's really being discussed. We could really leave it at Kirk is potentially taking a 'unwarranted' risk that could negatively effect the team. What gets me going is the feeling of people trashing a guy because of a belief he has. This societal shift to, you need to have the same ideals as me or we'll burn you at the stake.

Is the NFL really going to cancel games and not pay players, and fine if an unvaccinated players tests positive? Maybe I read that wrong... If true, that's such a misstep by the NFL. Actively creating division in the workplace. I couldn't imagine a say, Coca Cola having a policy like that. If an unvaccinated employee test positive, shut the place down and nobody gets paid. That can't be what the NFL is doing...

That's a fair assessment, it's just a classic case of risk tolerance and potential consequences. That's what's really being discussed. We could really leave it at Kirk is potentially taking a 'unwarranted' risk that could negatively effect the team. What gets me going is the feeling of people trashing a guy because of a belief he has. This societal shift to, you need to have the same ideals as me or we'll burn you at the stake.

Is the NFL really going to cancel games and not pay players, and fine if an unvaccinated players tests positive? Maybe I read that wrong... If true, that's such a misstep by the NFL. Actively creating division in the workplace. I couldn't imagine a say, Coca Cola having a policy like that. If an unvaccinated employee test positive, shut the place down and nobody gets paid. That can't be what the NFL is doing...
Vaccines should be mandatory. No excuses. I require them. You don't get it. You're fired. Already fired someone. Happily do it again.

Sorry. Not valid.
You don't get it do it. YOUR belief is that's not a selfish act. What if someone believes differently then that? Obviously, most people will say it's ok to have a kid. But I don't say a person has no heart or less character for believing otherwise and trash the person. It's the tolerance level for a belief of something other than what you believe in, what I'm getting at. That's why the example. Do you normally just run with what you want to see and play everything else as, you're an idiot. How does that help anything?

Vaccines should be mandatory. No excuses. I require them. You don't get it. You're fired. Already fired someone. Happily do it again.
Your business, you do whatever you feel is best. No issues there. Glad you're proud you fired a person. Truth seeker the Executioner. The NFL can draw that line and see if the players union files a lawsuit.

Top Bottom