All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Peterson is bad. He was one of the worst starters in the league last year. The Vikings paid a bench player $10 million. Typical.

Peterson is bad. He was one of the worst starters in the league last year. The Vikings paid a bench player $10 million. Typical.
I mean ... Zimmer knows DBs. I doubt anyone with any credibility can deny that. That's the thing he knows as well as anyone in the league.

But like I said, I just have to believe that what will be our starting secondary was not the ideal plan coming into this season.

I can't refute what Howeda said about Gladney, but he was a first rounder hand-picked by Zimmer for a reason. Similarly about Dantzler as a third rounder. Have to think Zimmer was hoping both would take huge steps forward this year, with others playing supporting/rotation and nickle roles as needed.

I guess Kris Boyd has stepped it up? Maybe he'll factor in as well. 7th rounder. First team all Big XII in 2018 from Texas. Who knows ...

Who's going to be the free safety next to Harrison? Myles Dorn, UFA from 2020 that was injured for all of last year? Metellus, 6th rounder 2020 and 3rd team all Big Ten in 2019? Bynum, 4th rounder 2021 first team all PAC but played cornerback at Cal?

Last edited:

Cam is better than what we have, but not a great option. Especially since he's also un-vaxxed and would likely get swept into any quarantine protocol right along side Cousins.

Had a good rookie season, not much since then. New change of scenery might help?

Everyone’s swear jar is going to be a lot emptier this season.
How many games into the season until Davis takes the job from Udoh?

We'll still be cussing about Btadbury. Both centers drafted after him are significantly better than he is. What a disaster he is.

Can’t miss a field goal if you never attempt one.
Smart move. They'll put some on IR with the designation to return tomorrow. If you get placed on the IR during the pre-season, then you can't return.

They'll get to keep another player on their team, and keep the kicker they want. They're exploiting a big loophole.

We should be worried that the lines are getting smart enough to pull something like this off.

Had a good rookie season, not much since then. New change of scenery might help?

WTH?

This has to mean Irv is done either for the season or for a significant amount??

EDIT: answer my own question https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...re-te-chris-herndon-new-york-jets-sources-say

Zimmer did not specify a timetable for Smith's return, which could range from several weeks to several months, given the nature of the injury.

Depending on how much time Smith will miss while recovering from his meniscus surgery, Herndon will help fill an important role among Vikings tight ends. Zimmer called the depth at the position "not very good" in light of Smith's injury. Minnesota is expecting its No. 2 tight end, Tyler Conklin, who has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since Aug. 16, to be ready to practice in full on Monday.

Herndon stats:
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DLngR/GY/GCtch%Y/Tgt
201822NYJTE891612563950212.9425322.431.469.6%9.0
201923NYJ89102177.0071.07.050.0%3.5
202024NYJTE89161345312879.3317261.917.968.9%6.4

2017 2nd team All-ACC at Miami FL
2018 PFWA All-Rookie team (NFL)

His 2020 stats are obviously down from his 2018, but not terribly off.

Last edited:

If he was that much better (game-changing better), he'd be the starter now. Udoh is not Dozier. He legitimately has figured something out at Guard, like Cleveland has.

Not saying Davis won't replace him later this season, just think Davis has plenty of catching up to do. Will take time.

We'll still be cussing about Btadbury. Both centers drafted after him are significantly better than he is. What a disaster he is.
Doubt he's the worst center in the league. Just can't get forklifted backwards like he does at times.

WTH?

This has to mean Irv is done either for the season or for a significant amount??
Not really. They didn't have good TE depth. Irv is out at least 2-3 games or maybe the whole year. They won't know til they do the surgery. No reason not to add depth.

Bradbury is a pretty damn good run blocker, very good. He's just not very good in pass protection right now. There's enough there to work with for now, considering what the Vikings want to do offensively (run the ball and control the clock).

They won't know til they do the surgery. No reason not to add depth.
I very much doubt he gets added if nothing had happened to Irv.

Otherwise, why did they wait until now??

Did I just hear that the Vikings released Griffen?

Did I just hear that the Vikings released Griffen?
It’s very likely he gets brought back, just a lot of new roster rules teams are taking advantage of.

Last edited:

8-9 is the best case scenario. I'm predicting 6-11.
Purple Daily guys went down the schedule two went for 9-8 and one for 10-7.

Was before the 53 was announced and before Irv news.

I suppose there’s always a chance that Ham, Conklin, and Herndon make up for the loss of Irv.

NFC North will be weak by don’t think 8-9 gets in the playoff, and would end Zim and Rick.

They’re saying 9-8 should be last team in, but still need a Wild Card win to prevent heads rolling.

Bad news on Smith. But the receiving corp is still pretty strong. The 3rd WR probably plays a bigger role now.

And now they cut Jalyn Holmes to sign former NDSU TE Ben Elleffson.

Top Bottom