All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

It was an ugly preseason. But Cook, Jefferson, Hunter and Barr played zero snaps. Thielen and Kendricks played played almost none.

It will once again come down to the o line and keeping Cousins upright (and not in quarantine).
Defense has to show up as well.

Remember when Mahomes almost lazily tossed that TD bomb to a (no doubt fast and talented) guy who literally just waltzed right by the guy who's going to be our starting cornerback? Like he wasn't even there? What are any of those guys you named going to do about that?

Maybe Dantzler figures it out and takes over. Or maybe he wouldn't be any better. No idea

I agree. That would have been solid. I would think they have a plan already. I just don't see any way they go into Week 1 with the QB situation as it is now.

As both a Cardinals and Raiders season ticket holder, I can't help but think of the 3rd QB on both of those rosters; the Cards of course have former Gopher Streveler the Leveler. Cards experts think they find a way to keep him on the roster, as basically QB3/ATH. I think they might be right but we'll see; Colt McCoy is likely holding down the backup spot.

The Raiders had Nathan Peterman take virtually every snap of the 3 preseason games and Gruden seems to have a hard-on for Peterman. They've kept 3 QBs before, they could well do it again. In all fairness, Peterman gets a bad rap because of his debut game with 5 INT (I think?) but he has actually looked pretty solid. I have no idea what it would take to get Peterman, but it's just a name out there

Those are a couple of crazy ideas, outside the box no doubt, and neither will happen. I'm guessing it has to be one of a couple of guys they have been watching these last couple weeks that both somewhat fit Kubiak's scheme and they have a pretty good idea will be coming available. Like I said, I just don't see them going forward with Browning/Mond. Mond is practice-squad bound

I agree. That would have been solid. I would think they have a plan already. I just don't see any way they go into Week 1 with the QB situation as it is now.

As both a Cardinals and Raiders season ticket holder, I can't help but think of the 3rd QB on both of those rosters; the Cards of course have former Gopher Streveler the Leveler. Cards experts think they find a way to keep him on the roster, as basically QB3/ATH. I think they might be right but we'll see; Colt McCoy is likely holding down the backup spot.

The Raiders had Nathan Peterman take virtually every snap of the 3 preseason games and Gruden seems to have a hard-on for Peterman. They've kept 3 QBs before, they could well do it again. In all fairness, Peterman gets a bad rap because of his debut game with 5 INT (I think?) but he has actually looked pretty solid. I have no idea what it would take to get Peterman, but it's just a name out there

Those are a couple of crazy ideas, outside the box no doubt, and neither will happen. I'm guessing it has to be one of a couple of guys they have been watching these last couple weeks that both somewhat fit Kubiak's scheme and they have a pretty good idea will be coming available. Like I said, I just don't see them going forward with Browning/Mond. Mond is practice-squad bound
Mind will not be exposed to waivers so no chance at practice squad.

This is not how the start of the season is suppose to go. Irv Smith JR out for the season opener vs Cincinnati. Why can't we have nice things for once.

The Skor North guys were having a big debate over whether the Vikes would give an extension to Smith 1st or O'Neill 1st. The consensus was O'Neill because of the OL issues and Smith's age.

Key to Smith's deal is how much of the $64 mill is guaranteed.

This is not how the start of the season is suppose to go. Irv Smith JR out for the season opener vs Cincinnati. Why can't we have nice things for once.

Dam Irv was looking good in preseason, I guess they should have sat him to...

The Skor North guys were having a big debate over whether the Vikes would give an extension to Smith 1st or O'Neill 1st. The consensus was O'Neill because of the OL issues and Smith's age.

O'Neill should be priority. I trust when Von Miller calls him the best R Tackle that it's true. Harrison is awesome but age will likely hit him soon. They should have taken AWJr last draft🙁

Kirk Cousins could be forced to get vaccinated or not play in 2021

:)

F you Kirk :)

And is it dependent on getting the vaccine

I don't think any team can mandate anything on its own. It has to be a NFL head office decision, and it has to be agreed to by the NFLPA.

Mannion knows the offense. Feels like the typical Vikings move, as opposed to a potential Case storybook with Foles.

Vikings ceiling to me is 10-7 with a playoff loss. (More likely 9-8).

They are only 2-3 injuries away from being a 4-13 / 5-12 team.

Vikings ceiling to me is 10-7 with a playoff loss. (More likely 9-8).

They are only 2-3 injuries away from being a 4-13 / 5-12 team.
Possibly, but they basically had their whole defense injured last year and ended 7-9. If they're healthy I can see the ceiling being higher.

The Vikings will be horrible this season.
Barring Cousins missing a large # of games, they won't be worse than last year. I suppose you can consider that horrible but most wouldn't.

Defense has to show up as well.

Remember when Mahomes almost lazily tossed that TD bomb to a (no doubt fast and talented) guy who literally just waltzed right by the guy who's going to be our starting cornerback? Like he wasn't even there? What are any of those guys you named going to do about that?

Maybe Dantzler figures it out and takes over. Or maybe he wouldn't be any better. No idea
The D will be at least above average. Peterson and Breeland will be the top 2 corners. Tyreek Hill blows by a lot of people. I can't get worked up about that one.

Dam Irv was looking good in preseason, I guess they should have sat him to...
The same fans panicking over 0-3 and how bad the offense looked without Cook/Jefferson/Theilen are now upset that Smith played. You can't win sometimes.

Barring Cousins missing a large # of games, they won't be worse than last year. I suppose you can consider that horrible but most wouldn't.
No. They'll be even worse. The team is getting old, the O-line is just as bad, and the kickers are just as bad.

Mannion knows the offense. Feels like the typical Vikings move, as opposed to a potential Case storybook with Foles.
Mannion now is closer to what Keenum was in 2017 than Foles is.

Personally, I'm ready to trade 3rd rounder for Drew Lock. He's better than any available back-up and if the season goes south, you can get a long look at him and 2022 can be a competition between him and Mond.

No. They'll be even worse. The team is getting old, the O-line is just as bad, and the kickers are just as bad.
Of the core of the team, only Smith, and marginally Barr Theilen are "old". Cook, Jefferson, Hunter, Kendricks are not. The O-line will likely be better than last year (not necessarily good.) Kicker you might be right, but probably no worse than Bailey was.

Mannion now is closer to what Keenum was in 2017 than Foles is.

Personally, I'm ready to trade 3rd rounder for Drew Lock. He's better than any available back-up and if the season goes south, you can get a long look at him and 2022 can be a competition between him and Mond.
I doubt it would take a 3rd rounder for Lock. Hard to say.

Some other QB's that are 3rd or worse on some depth charts that wouldn't be terrible for backup duty, if it were ONLY for a game or two or a couple of halves; Brett Rypien (Broncos), Nate Sudfeld (49ers), Josh Dobbs, Trace McSorley, and who could forget Trevor Siemian (Saints)? It also looks like Mannion will be available again.

I'd love to see them take a flyer on Easton Stick if the Chargers let him go. He would be infinitely better than Browning or Mond right now.

Seeing that Mannion will likely be available, knows the system, that wouldn't shock me, even though it would be so completely boring and uninspiring. Oh well

The D will be at least above average. Peterson and Breeland will be the top 2 corners.
Was supposed to be Gladney and ___, with Peterson being an important factor but being old, and Breeland solid back up/rotation player.

Was supposed to be Gladney and ___, with Peterson being an important factor but being old, and Breeland solid back up/rotation player.
Gladney wasn't good last year. Dantzler was far better. Not sure what happened to him in the off-season. He was better on Friday. Maybe he was just pouting about Peterson/Breeland being ahead of him? The overall CB group (Peterson/Breeland/Alexander/Dantzler) is miles better than it was last year.

Gladney wasn't good last year. Dantzler was far better. Not sure what happened to him in the off-season. He was better on Friday. Maybe he was just pouting about Peterson/Breeland being ahead of him? The overall CB group (Peterson/Breeland/Alexander/Dantzler) is miles better than it was last year.
Alexander is nothing. Zimmer was happy to boot him, the first time.

Breeland showed me who he is when Hill waltzed by him like a seventh-grader. If we want to win a Super Bowl, then that's what we'll be facing, so yes it is a fair comparison.

Peterson is old. He wasn't supposed to be the CB1 when he was signed.

Top Bottom