All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

No matter how many times I hear it....the Dido - White Flag, PA game calls montage to open the Common Man show the day after a Vikings loss always cracks me up. The first time I heard it had me laughing out loud.

Broncos are trading Von Miller to the Rams. Despite being 4-4 it seems George Paton knows when to sell, unlike his old boss. Re-acquiring Weatherly and getting a CB should be even easier now.

When Cooper Rush threw the game winning touchdown to Amari Cooper last night, it was the first time in NFL history where a quarterback threw a TD to a receiver where the first name of the QB matched the last name of the receiver.

When the Vikings and Cowboys played last season, Andy Dalton tossed a touchdown to Dalton Schultz, marking the first time a quarterback and receiver’s last name-first name connected for a TD.

Over 100 years of NFL history and in consecutive years the same two teams are involved in this little bit of NFL history.

I figured that would make everyone feel better today ( courtesy of cbs sports).

You aren't talking about the play where JJ slowed down midway through the route? ROFL! Again.....if you think Cousins is anywhere near the top of the list of things wrong with this team.....you don't have a clue about football.
I never said that, but hell, run with it.

That's 100% a knock on Cousins. Completely warranted too. Not sure how much that is Cousins or Zimmer's conservative mentality though. Makes you wonder why we have so many underneath routes like that on third down plays. But I think another part of the equation is that the line does a poor job of giving Cousins enough time for longer routes to develop. But yeah....that can be irritating.
Why were we going downfield at the beginning of the year? Did they start telling Cousins to check down to the short stuff most of the game?

Stephen Weatherly would be pretty nice now that Hunter is hurt. But what the hell we saved a million and got a 7th round pick. Maybe Denver would agree to redo the trade if we give them another 7th round pick.
Weatherly sucks balls and anyone they are going to throw in there will, too.

Why were we going downfield at the beginning of the year? Did they start telling Cousins to check down to the short stuff most of the game?

Zimmer is and always has been a conservative coach. Always. I have little doubt that he thought that the Vikings could coast against the Dak Prescott-less team.

Common Man brought up a good point about Norv Turner. Turner has always been an air-it-out, passing attack coach. He resigned halfway through the season when he was here. This is who Zimmer is. This is his coaching mentality.

Zimmer is and always has been a conservative coach. Always. I have little doubt that he thought that the Vikings could coast against the Dak Prescott-less team.

Common Man brought up a good point about Norv Turner. Turner has always been an air-it-out, passing attack coach. He resigned halfway through the season when he was here. This is who Zimmer is. This is his coaching mentality.
I don't understand. We were going downfield the first few games, even with poor protection, and scoring well.

Now, we aren't going downfield and scoring little.

Why the hell would Zimmer do that?

I don't understand. We were going downfield the first few games, even with poor protection, and scoring well.

Simple......Zimmer is risk adverse and conservative. He figured that he could roll out a vanilla gameplan and beat the Cowboys without Dak. Much like Fleck and Sanford against Bowling Green. We had to score to keep up with an improved Bengals team.....and a high scoring Cardinals team. Would have been 2-0 if not for a Cook fumble and a missed field goal.

Because he knows they need to give CJ ham at least 25 touches a game.

The NFL doesn't work that way. There will be few if any trades. But yes, build around the young guys. The Barr and Harrison Smith extensions were huge mistakes by Spielman. He should be fired too.
No, it doesn't work that way. However, the way it does work is restructuring contracts/outright releasing players. If you're going nuclear and getting rid of Zim/Spielman, you take a big hit next year on dead cap money and get rid of the older guys to make way/cap space in 2023 for the next core group.

buzz on twitter is that Danielle Hunter is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle.

And - in the post-game press conf when Cousins was asked about not calling a time-out late in the first half, Cousins said "I leave those decisions to the Head Coach." in other words, the $45mill 10-yr veteran QB is either unable to make a decision by himself, or the coach will not let him make a decision.

ask yourself WWRD? (what would Rodgers do).

answer - he'd call a time out then go over to the sideline and call the coach an idiot.

When Cooper Rush threw the game winning touchdown to Amari Cooper last night, it was the first time in NFL history where a quarterback threw a TD to a receiver where the first name of the QB matched the last name of the receiver.

When the Vikings and Cowboys played last season, Andy Dalton tossed a touchdown to Dalton Schultz, marking the first time a quarterback and receiver’s last name-first name connected for a TD.

Over 100 years of NFL history and in consecutive years the same two teams are involved in this little bit of NFL history.

I figured that would make everyone feel better today ( courtesy of cbs sports).
It is interesting, but as far as a salve not so much.

My guess is Zim is out by tomorrow and Patterson is the interim with a shot at the permanent if the team rallies. I'm not sure what they'll do with Spielman. If they bring in a new guy, he'll want to name his own coach.
I'm (no longer) a Zim fan, but what does this accomplish? I don't think the situation is so toxic they have to move on. Get your money worth and keep Zim until black Monday. Do we have any belief that Kubiak would be able to turn this offense around if it were not for the shackles put on by Zim? There is no evidence (for or against) that Kubiak has any capabilities to do so.

Even if they go with an interim head coach and the offense starts clicking as a direct result. OK, so they get to 10-9 and lose in the first round of the wildcard playoff. Not sure what that accomplishes.

I'm (no longer) a Zim fan, but what does this accomplish? I don't think the situation is so toxic they have to move on. Get your money worth and keep Zim until black Monday. Do we have any belief that Kubiak would be able to turn this offense around if it were not for the shackles put on by Zim? There is no evidence (for or against) that Kubiak has any capabilities to do so.

Even if they go with an interim head coach and the offense starts clicking as a direct result. OK, so they get to 10-9 and lose in the first round of the wildcard playoff. Not sure what that accomplishes.
It's not toxic? Theilen's agent is sending not very veiled shots on Twitter. Clearly he's not happy. I'm sure Jefferson's not. Kirk pretty much threw him under the bus on the 2 minute drill.

What's the harm in it? Patterson is well liked by almost everyone it seems. And yes, I think Kubiak will do better if given free reign to run the offense. His dad was nowhere near this conservative.

What must be done eventually should be done immediately applies here, IMO.

buzz on twitter is that Danielle Hunter is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle.

And - in the post-game press conf when Cousins was asked about not calling a time-out late in the first half, Cousins said "I leave those decisions to the Head Coach." in other words, the $45mill 10-yr veteran QB is either unable to make a decision by himself, or the coach will not let him make a decision.

ask yourself WWRD? (what would Rodgers do).

answer - he'd call a time out then go over to the sideline and call the coach an idiot.
F. That would single-handedly sink the viability of this defense.

Denver's LB corp is a mash unit. Trade them Barr for Weatherly and one of their CB's.
Who the hell wants Barr making over $8million and I think they owe him over $9million in 2022 depending on when’s he’s cut. Just another contestant mistake from this front office they should have let him walk away to the jets.

In three consecutive games, the Vikings have had a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, and in three consecutive games, their defense has allowed either a go-ahead or game-tying touchdown, while also allowing successful two-point conversions on two of those scoring drives.

Two minutes left against the Lions: the Vikings have a 7-point lead. The Lions score a TD in 3 plays (after a fumble) and then successfully run a 2-pt conversion to take the lead with 37 seconds remaining.

Two minutes left against the Panthers, the Vikings have an 8-point lead. The Panthers go 96 yards in 90 seconds to score a touchdown and then successfully run a 2-pt conversion to tie the game with 42 seconds remaining.

Less than three minutes left against the Cowboys, the Vikings have a 3-point lead. The Cowboys take it 75 yards in two minutes and score a touchdown to take the lead, with 51 seconds remaining.

They also held the lead at some point in every one of their losses.

Just gonna leave this here:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022QB.php

With or without Spielman, this is a perfect year to draft a QB. Cousins will be here in 2022, and then can be cut. Draft a QB this year to sit behind Cousins and let him rip in 2023.
I thought this was supposed to be one of the worst QB years in terms of draft prospects. Wouldn't they give the guy from A&M a shot?

I thought this was supposed to be one of the worst QB years in terms of draft prospects. Wouldn't they give the guy from A&M a shot?
That's what I want. Give Mond a shot at some point.

but since these idiots are playing for their coaching lives, it will never happen.

In fact, we will be in line to draft top 10, and then will win 2 meaningless games at the end and draft something like 16. It's a script that's already written.

That's what I want. Give Mond a shot at some point.

but since these idiots are playing for their coaching lives, it will never happen.

In fact, we will be in line to draft top 10, and then will win 2 meaningless games at the end and draft something like 16. It's a script that's already written.
I meant in 2022 give Mond a shot. I agree with you, Cousins will be in there until they are eliminated from playoff contention this season. Because the NFC is no great shakes, that may be until mid-December.

Last edited:

In three consecutive games, the Vikings have had a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, and in three consecutive games, their defense has allowed either a go-ahead or game-tying touchdown, while also allowing successful two-point conversions on two of those scoring drives.

Two minutes left against the Lions: the Vikings have a 7-point lead. The Lions score a TD in 3 plays (after a fumble) and then successfully run a 2-pt conversion to take the lead with 37 seconds remaining.

Two minutes left against the Panthers, the Vikings have an 8-point lead. The Panthers go 96 yards in 90 seconds to score a touchdown and then successfully run a 2-pt conversion to tie the game with 42 seconds remaining.

Less than three minutes left against the Cowboys, the Vikings have a 3-point lead. The Cowboys take it 75 yards in two minutes and score a touchdown to take the lead, with 51 seconds remaining.

They also held the lead at some point in every one of their losses.

Yup. That's how you drop games that you shouldn't. It's why the Gophers lost to BG and almost allowed Miami (Ohio) to come back. This is what Thielen said after the game:

“We gotta quit just hanging in games. Every game we just hang around, hang around, let the team hang around, instead of putting our foot on the gas and going,” Thielen said.

That's on Zimmer. He wants to get a lead and hold on for dear life.....hoping that his defense is going to hold. And the problem is.....they aren't doing that. And it's forcing the offense into a tough position. As I said earlier to people trying to blame Cousins (which is just silly)......Cousins has had to manufacture two, two minute drives and two more with about 40 seconds each in order to put the team in a position to win.

One of those games was Cincinnati. Two minute drive to get a FG and send the game to OT. Arizona was another two minute drive to get into EXTREMELY managable FG range (37 yards). Missed. Against Detroit. Long drive with less than 40 seconds remaining in order to get into long FG range. Against the Panthers. About 40 seconds remaining after kickoff. Tie game. Drove down the field and gave Joseph a 47 yard attempt that he missed. Still took the first OT possession straight down the field to win the game.

That's on Zimmer. He wants to get a lead and hold on for dear life.....hoping that his defense is going to hold. And the problem is.....they aren't doing that. And it's forcing the offense into a tough position.

Last three games the defense has crumbled down the stretch....giving up lead losing/tying drives at the end of the game to Jared Goff and Detroit, a 96 yard drive to Sam Darnold (who was benched this week) and the Panthers, and Cooper Rush and the Cowboys.

My guess is Zim is out by tomorrow and Patterson is the interim with a shot at the permanent if the team rallies. I'm not sure what they'll do with Spielman. If they bring in a new guy, he'll want to name his own coach.
Well, I guess today is the day.

I don't think they'll fire anyone this week.

Maybe they should, and maybe they should just admit that the season is basically over, with Hunter out perhaps being a "sign from the gods".

That's what firing Zim would be. Admitting that the season is over. They do have a bottom line to think about, as well.

They're going to give them a chance to see if they can rebound against a good, but hardly great, Ravens team, and show something.

We were all about it when they were 3-3. It might revert to that if we are back to 4-4. Let' see.

Last three games the defense has crumbled down the stretch....giving up lead losing/tying drives at the end of the game to Jared Goff and Detroit, a 96 yard drive to Sam Darnold (who was benched this week) and the Panthers, and Cooper Rush and the Cowboys.
Well again like I said earlier in the thread, Mack Alexander gave up a super-easy long TD pitch and catch. I think it was an MA, and he thought he had safety help, or something. Was really bad.

On paper, that's the game. Of course you can say that about so many things.

Well again like I said earlier in the thread, Mack Alexander gave up a super-easy long TD pitch and catch. I think it was an MA, and he thought he had safety help, or something. Was really bad.

On paper, that's the game. Of course you can say that about so many things.

It was. And the receiver got Smith turned around. Woods was off the map. Just all around a mess.

Spielman took over as Director of Player Personnel in 2006.

Since that time, the Vikings have complied an overall regular season record of 127-118...winning at a blistering clip of 51.84%.

In 14 YEARS, they have appeared in 9 total playoff games, and are 3-6 in those 9.
2 NFC Championship appearances - no wins.

That is not OK.

Just looked up the packers:
160-86 regular season - 65.04%
12-9 in playoffs - 6 NFC championship appearances (5 losses) and 1 SB victory.

Last edited:

Top Bottom