All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not a bad haul for Berrios. A top-15 prospect and a top 50-60 prospect, both doing well at Double-A at least, it sounds like.

Not a bad haul for Berrios. A top-15 prospect and a top 50-60 prospect, both doing well at Double-A at least, it sounds like.
Martin has been doing well. Woods-Richardson has been struggling a little bit, but still a lot of potential there. Very good haul though, better than I expected.

Martin is a good get. The pitcher? Meh. He was already traded by the Mets to the Jays. Now the Jays flip him again. Usually a bad sign.

Had they gotten the Jays' best prospect, I'd be a little happier. For a guy with another year of control, this seems a little light.

Had they gotten the Jays' best prospect, I'd be a little happier. For a guy with another year of control, this seems a little light.
They got their number 2 and number 4 prospect though. The Jays current number 1 prospect was actually mentioned in trade talks (Pearson), but he is far from a sure thing. He has a 4.74 ERA in AAA this year and a 11.57 ERA in the big leagues. He has great “stuff”, but would be a big risk and the Twins would likely not have gotten much besides him.

Martin is a good get. The pitcher? Meh. He was already traded by the Mets to the Jays. Now the Jays flip him again. Usually a bad sign.
I would normally agree with you, but he is only 20 years old. He was dealt by the Mets when he was 18 years old after being drafted out of HS. He's been roughed up the last 4 starts, but through his first 7 starts this year, he had a 2.70 ERA with a 1.07 WHIP, .196 opp BA. 48:8 K:BB ratio. Especially coming out of HS, and pitching at 20 years old in AA ball, I think he has promise.

I'm a bit perplexed on Martin, as he doesn't have plus defense at SS (as it seems they're trying to find a better spot for him), and his power is subpar. He was claimed to be the "best bat in the 2020 draft", so maybe I'm overreacting. He does have a high OBP, so maybe more like an Arraez kind of player?

I would normally agree with you, but he is only 20 years old. He was dealt by the Mets when he was 18 years old after being drafted out of HS. He's been roughed up the last 4 starts, but through his first 7 starts this year, he had a 2.70 ERA with a 1.07 WHIP, .196 opp BA. 48:8 K:BB ratio. Especially coming out of HS, and pitching at 20 years old in AA ball, I think he has promise.

I'm a bit perplexed on Martin, as he doesn't have plus defense at SS (as it seems they're trying to find a better spot for him), and his power is subpar. He was claimed to be the "best bat in the 2020 draft", so maybe I'm overreacting. He does have a high OBP, so maybe more like an Arraez kind of player?
Seen a few comments that Martin's lack of power recently is due to a revamped swing; not sure if that is a temporary situation or long-term. Who knows. Still hits for average though and has solid position flexibility

I’m really surprised at how much they got here. Really good trade. All four players in the two trades are in AA or AAA so all aren’t too far from getting called up.

He’s only 20. The blue jays appear to not care that much how much they give up. I wouldn’t look into it too much.

Martin would be a #1 prospect for many teams. Pearson is ranked #9 overall, Martin #16. Not much difference.

Martin would be a #1 prospect for many teams. Pearson is ranked #9 overall, Martin #16. Not much difference.
Yeah, but this team has been lacking in pitching for decades. I'd take as many pitching prospects as I could get my hands on and hope that eventually a couple of them pan out. We know they aren't going to pay for pitching in free agency.

The extra year of control wasn't going to help the Twins on the field next year. I don't see them contending plus the whole year could be a washout with MLBPA and the Owners.

I get the sense Berrios is going to test Free Agency no matter what the Twins offered. Other teams know that too, including the Jays. They can flip him again next year if they aren't in the playoff race.

If there is little indication they can resign him, then Berrios is in a gots to go situation. That's the one true trade "chip" they have that can bring some quality back. I don't see much reason for keeping him for '22.
Nailed it.

Now I am curious to see if he can overcome the trend of pitching poorly in August for Toronto-Buffalo.

Last edited:

Yeah, but this team has been lacking in pitching for decades. I'd take as many pitching prospects as I could get my hands on and hope that eventually a couple of them pan out. We know they aren't going to pay for pitching in free agency.
3 of the 4 they’ve gotten have been pitchers.

Things getting nuts - as of 1:40pm CDT - reporters are tweeting that the Twins are entertaining offers for Donaldson ----- AND Buxton. Trade deadline is 3:00pm Central, so who knows - but the next hour could be verry interesting.

Most baseball "insiders" I've seen think the Twins got good value for Berrios, considering that he was apparently set on become a free agent, and the Twins' chances of re-signing him were very low, unless they went nuts and gave him a $125-million deal.

They haven't paid for (great) pitching in free agency. Until this year, Falvine hasn't taken a pitcher with their first four picks in any draft. Maybe they're just trying to acquire chips and can flip them for pitchers later? Who knows. But pitching is at a premium, and if you're not paying for it, you have to get it somewhere.

no buxton, donaldson, peinda, or maeda trade.

Trying to process this.....................

no buxton, donaldson, peinda, or maeda trade.

Trying to process this.....................
Really surprised Big Mike didn't get dealt. By all accounts, it seemed like they had a good shot at resigning him in 2022, so literally anything you got for him now was just a bonus.

It would seem on Buck that either the trade value was low due to his current injury, or they legitimately think they have a shot at resigning him. At least outwardly, it seems like he does want to stay here, unlike Berrios.

Really surprised Big Mike didn't get dealt. By all accounts, it seemed like they had a good shot at resigning him in 2022, so literally anything you got for him now was just a bonus.

It would seem on Buck that either the trade value was low due to his current injury, or they legitimately think they have a shot at resigning him. At least outwardly, it seems like he does want to stay here, unlike Berrios.
Problem is, i dont know whats a good trade in baseball when one side is getting prospect.

But if the Twins could have gotten a really good haul, Buxton should have been traded. Hes just hurt way too much to count on. That being said, you make a good point, in that he probably had low trade value

Top Bottom