All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Let’s see we can have Nick Gordon bat as like a 25 year old prospect with the bases loaded in a meaningless game/season. No let’s have some gimmick of a player bat who strikes out at the same rate as Sano and should not be on this team anymore. Willians needs to be sent back to St Paul, there is no need for his garbage to be on this roster anymore. Start to evaluate young players you don’t know about not some stupid mascot.

Let’s see we can have Nick Gordon bat as like a 25 year old prospect with the bases loaded in a meaningless game/season. No let’s have some gimmick of a player bat who strikes out at the same rate as Sano and should not be on this team anymore. Willians needs to be sent back to St Paul, there is no need for his garbage to be on this roster anymore. Start to evaluate young players you don’t know about not some stupid mascot.
While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, you couldn't be more wrong about the bolded. Sano has struck out in 37% of his plate appearances this year. Astudillo has struck out in 8% of his plate appearances. The argument for PH him there was actually because he was likely to put the ball in play, even though he didn't in this instance.

Astudillo gets way too much love and hate, IMO. He's a fine last guy on the bench who can play multiple positions and serve as a 3rd catcher. If he plays too much, it's because you structured your roster badly. It's not his fault.

Based on what? The market isn't going to be large for a 38-39 year old starting pitcher, just like it wasn't large for Nelson Cruz.

If Berrios was putting up those numbers on a different team, no one on here, including yourself would want to give him more than 15 million per season.
He's having a great year. He'll have plenty of offers. Cruz's market is cut in half by no DH in the NL and further by several teams preferring to rotate guys in the DH spot.

While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, you couldn't be more wrong about the bolded. Sano has struck out in 37% of his plate appearances this year. Astudillo has struck out in 8% of his plate appearances. The argument for PH him there was actually because he was likely to put the ball in play, even though he didn't in this instance.

Astudillo gets way too much love and hate, IMO. He's a fine last guy on the bench who can play multiple positions and serve as a 3rd catcher. If he plays too much, it's because you structured your roster badly. It's not his fault.
I meant to change that as he is not a strike out machine. I forgot to. His hard hit rate is not that great and against a wild pitcher he is not likely to draw a walk.

Sano might be the dumbest player in the league. Unbelievable.

Did something similar last night. Rooker went 3 for 4 and had homered in back-to-back games, so he's seeing the ball pretty well right now. Pulls him out to put Teacher's Pet, Jake Cave in. Now, at least Cave made a productive out, but it didn't matter.

UPDATE FROM THE ATHLETIC ON TRADE TALKS ETC...

Twins trade chatter: What we’re hearing about José Berríos, Byron Buxton and Kenta Maeda as deadline approaches

There are now fewer than 72 shopping hours left before the trade deadline, and the Twins are expected to be extremely active as sellers. Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey, general manager Thad Levine and assistant GMs Jeremy Zoll, Daniel Adler and Rob Antony have been extremely busy fielding phone calls over the past eight days in an attempt to line everything up ahead of Friday’s 3 p.m. CT deadline. One National League executive described the Twins as “easily the most fascinating team at this year’s deadline” and the front office’s collective phones have been operating with a low battery all week as a result.

This is a critical few days for the Twins, who are hoping to make the best out of one of the most disappointing seasons in team history by unloading key pieces from a talented roster, if the moves make sense. The possibility of Byron Buxton and José Berríos both being available has created significant chatter about the Twins.

With so much buzz surrounding the team, The Athletic is unloading its Twins trade deadline notebook…

• The Twins were as disappointed as Buxton to not reach an agreement on a contract extension after the sides progressed enough to get the guaranteed deal to $80 million over seven years. Though both sides wanted an extension, this was always going to be a really hard deal to complete. The sides were far apart on the back end.

Buxton’s agents wanted to secure a bigger potential payday for the center fielder were he to finally stay healthy and maintain a breakout similar to how he performed in April, when he was voted the American League’s player of the month. If Buxton broke out, he deserved a chance to get a bigger payday given what a player with his potential could receive on the open market. On the other side, the Twins felt they should receive more credit for guaranteeing Buxton $80 million because of the risk they were assuming. Buxton has appeared in only 37 percent of his team’s games since 2018 and might never play a full season. The Twins didn’t want to get left holding the bag if Buxton was never healthy enough to play a full season while under that extension.

• As expected, plenty of teams have inquired about Buxton both before and after extension discussions broke down. The Twins expect to find out in the next 48 hours whether any of those teams is serious about acquiring him. While the Twins are open to moving Buxton, they understand other teams may have the same injury concerns they do. However, club officials said they have no plans to make trades for 50 cents on the dollar when it comes to Buxton.

Taylor Rogers sprained middle finger couldn’t have come at a worse time for the Twins. They placed their outstanding left-handed reliever on the 10-day injured list Tuesday and don’t expect to see him on the mound for some time. Rogers, who is striking out a career-best 13.2 batters per nine innings and has a 2.11 Fielding Independent Pitching compared with a 3.35 ERA (meaning he has pitched better than his ERA), had an MRI on Tuesday and is scheduled for second and third consultations. The timing is devastating as Rogers has been among the Twins’ most sought-after players along with Buxton, Max Kepler, Kenta Maeda and Berríos, among others. Rogers potentially could have been paired together with any number of other players to help complete a blockbuster deal.

“He wasn’t going to be able to get back out there to throw anytime soon,” Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said. “Of course, in a lot of ways, just very disappointing for any of our guys but for such an important piece and person in our clubhouse, a guy we’ve relied on so much over the years and a guy that’s been about as durable of a pitcher as I’ve seen in the game.

“We are just doing our due diligence, just making sure that we have a good feeling about, not just the injury itself, but what it means as far as next steps and the best way to proceed. The more very good eyes that we can have on (Rogers) helps all of us. It helps (Rogers) confidence-wise as far as knowing what he’s doing next. We don’t know what is to come next. We’re going to wait and see what we find out first before we come up with any sort of judgments.”

Taylor Rogers

Losing Rogers to an injury days before the trade deadline took a potentially valuable trade chip off the table for the Twins. (Hannah Foslien / Getty Images)
• The New York Mets are very interested in Berríos, but not so much in the price tag associated with acquiring the durable right-hander. The Mets were said to have sticker shock at the Twins’ early ask — at least two top-100 prospects or a top prospect and a pre-arbitration eligible major-leaguer — and haven’t pursued him, not wanting to get into a bidding war against the San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Dodgers and Toronto Blue Jays, who have better farm systems.

• If the Twins did deal away a Berríos or Buxton-type player, they’d be far more interested in adding prospects who are projected to be big leaguers no later than 2023 as opposed to lower-level prospects slated for the big leagues in 2025 and 2026.

• While the Blue Jays have very intriguing arms available in right-handers Alek Manoah and Nate Pearson, the Twins have expressed more interest in Toronto’s next tier of prospects, a group that is heavy on position players. Austin Martin, Jordan Groshans and Orelvis Martinez are all listed as shortstops for a team that has Bo Bichette at the major-league level.

• Could the Twins be lining up a similar deadline to the 2016 Yankees, a club that quickly pivoted from competing to offload key pieces like Aroldis Chapman (traded to the Chicago Cubs for Gleyber Torres) and Andrew Miller (traded to Cleveland for Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and others) with the idea of contending again in 2017? Perhaps. But the Twins are unlikely to do what the Yankees — who capitalized on a great reliever market to quickly reload the farm — did in immediately re-signing Chapman after the season (he received $80 million over five years that winter). Still, the Twins potentially want to bring back designated hitter Nelson Cruz in 2022 and to a lesser degree starting pitcher Michael Pineda, who is an impending free agent likely to generate interest this week from other teams.

• Even though top prospect Royce Lewis is a shortstop, the Twins have been inquiring about shortstop prospects. The first-overall pick of the 2017 draft is recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL. The Twins won’t have a good idea of what Lewis, who prior to the injury was a 70-grade runner, is capable of until further down the road in his rehab. Given the position’s importance, that lack of clarity has compelled the Twins to explore other potential options in case Lewis needs to be shifted to another position. The Twins aren’t afraid to double up on positions if they’re acquiring talented players. Just a few years ago, there were plenty who wondered if Lewis would one day supplant Jorge Polanco at shortstop. While Polanco eventually moved to second base, it was the acquisition of Andrelton Simmons that forced the switch. Nobody knows what will happen even a year down the road.

• The Mets are in need of a third baseman and have the financial wherewithal to absorb Josh Donaldson’s contract. But as Aaron Gleeman pointed out in today’s article, “Donaldson isn’t for everyone.” The Mets haven’t made a strong pursuit of the veteran despite the fit. The Twins could deal Donaldson this week, but the $55 million he’s still owed is likely a big hindrance to any possible deal. The Twins are open to including money in a deal if it made sense for the organization, but as of Tuesday night nothing seems close.

• Though the A’s previously inquired about Kepler, they recently haven’t been as fervent in their pursuit of the Twins right fielder despite an obvious fit. That doesn’t mean the A’s no longer like Kepler, but even his modest salary — he’s owed at least $18.75 million over 2 1/2 seasons and has a $10 million option for 2024 — might be too much for their budget. When the A’s acquired left-handed reliever Andrew Chafin in a Monday trade, the Cubs included an unknown amount of cash to help offset some of the reliever’s $2.25 million salary. Chafin has a $5.25 million team option for 2022 with a $500,000 buyout.

• San Diego’s scouting bureau has had a more significant presence at Twins games over the past few weeks. Much of the attention has been geared toward Berríos, and rightfully so. But the Padres have also kept close tabs on Pineda and Maeda, who allowed a run and four hits in 6 1/3 innings with five strikeouts and two walks on Tuesday night. Sources confirmed the Padres definitely had interest in Cruz before he was traded to Tampa Bay and inquired about whether or not he’d been taking ground balls at first base.

• Both of the pitchers acquired for Cruz, Drew Strotman and Joe Ryan, could see the majors this season with the Twins, though the Strotman is closer to arriving. Ryan is playing for Team USA, which doesn’t play its first Olympic game until Friday. He could be in Tokyo as late as Aug. 9. No matter when Ryan returns, the Twins are likely to give him a breather at Triple-A St. Paul after pitching for the Olympic team.

Did something similar last night. Rooker went 3 for 4 and had homered in back-to-back games, so he's seeing the ball pretty well right now. Pulls him out to put Teacher's Pet, Jake Cave in. Now, at least Cave made a productive out, but it didn't matter.
Analytics. I am shocked at how much my opinion of this whole operation has changed in the course of 2 seasons. I have no faith the front office can evaluate their own players let alone another teams players. I have no faith the manager has any idea how to manage a game as every decision this season has gone the negative way.

So the Twins put up 14 and still lost by a FG today.

Bring back Shoemaker.

1A448A4D-EA5C-4B39-97A9-27ED088B5F8B.pngThat was an amazing game. This off season incompetence completely derailed the entire season from the beginning.

View attachment 13481That was an amazing game. This off season incompetence completely derailed the entire season from the beginning.
I would question the coaching staff just as much if not more. While not a great offseason by any means, there was no way to predict all of them would have been this bad. So many guys having the worst season of their careers, especially on the pitching side.

I would question the coaching staff just as much if not more. While not a great offseason by any means, there was no way to predict all of them would have been this bad. So many guys having the worst season of their careers, especially on the pitching side.
Eventually you do enough dumpster diving and it bites you on the butt. Every pitcher signing was a dumpster dive with the exception of Colome. There should have been red flags when a team trying to win just let him walk.

what ticks me off the most is the guys they have simply given away or traded away for pieces that are no longer on the team. I am so tired of watching Lamont wade and Akil Bado hit homers and then watching Jake cave / Willins austodio get at bats for no reason.

Eventually you do enough dumpster diving and it bites you on the butt. Every pitcher signing was a dumpster dive with the exception of Colome. There should have been red flags when a team trying to win just let him walk.

what ticks me off the most is the guys they have simply given away or traded away for pieces that are no longer on the team. I am so tired of watching Lamont wade and Akil Bado hit homers and then watching Jake cave / Willins austodio get at bats for no reason.
Happ had a sub 4.00 ERA five of last six seasons.

Today would have gotten Rocco fired if it meant anything, Left Happ in way too long. Then way over-extended both relievers. All with an off day tomorrow. Just brutal.

Fire Rocco and Falvey. Let Thad and Toby G drive this wreck the rest of the way. And Happ and Simmons should both be released after the trade deadline.

At some point, the coaching staff and front office have to get some blow-back for the team's performance.

I've seen some writers claiming that Wes Johnson's job is safe. Even if that is true, I would not be surprised to see the Twins dump the hitting coach or get a new Bench Coach, if only to provide the illusion of change.

a lot will hinge on what happens at the trade deadline. If they move Berrios, the rest of the season could be historically ugly.

MLB Trade Rumors via Jim Bowden @ The Athletic (Twins stuff bolded)

In terms of Scherzer, the Giants and Dodgers are the front-runners to acquire the Nationals’ ace, but they are not close to the finish line, according to sources. I was also told to not rule out the Padres, Red Sox and Rays in the Scherzer sweepstakes. The situation is fascinating because Scherzer has a complete no-trade clause as a player with 10 years of MLB service, five consecutive with the same club. If the three-time Cy Young winner decides he wants to go to a certain team, he just has to nix all of the other trade proposals that are brought to him. Although there’s no indication Scherzer is eyeing one club above all others (Rosenthal reported Tuesday night that Scherzer’s preference is one of the three NL West contenders — the Padres, Dodgers and Giants), that could become a factor as trade talks unfold.

Based on conversations with people around the league, here are my thoughts on some other trade developments:

• Because of the asking price the Nationals have put on Trea Turner, it is unlikely they trade him by the deadline. Interested teams have pointed out that if they wait a few months, they could potentially sign a top free-agent shortstop such as Corey Seager, Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Trevor Story or Marcus Semien without giving up any prospects.

• However, the Nationals are likely to deal Brad Hand and Daniel Hudson, as well as Scherzer, and might even dangle Josh Bell for the right return.

• The Cubs have been slow to act despite all their potential trade pieces, and I wonder if they could have had Luzardo for Kris Bryant. That would have been a solid deal for the Cubs, who desperately need to rebuild their starting rotation.

• The Twins are still trying to extend José Berríos and Byron Buxton, and the Rangers are trying to do the same with Joey Gallo. If agreements aren’t reached, those players could all be moved.

• The Brewers are willing to trade their best prospects (Brice Turang, Garrett Mitchell, Aaron Ashby, Hedbert Perez, Ethan Small), if needed, and are committed to adding a corner-infield impact bat.

• Get your popcorn ready in New York as the Mets and Yankees are expected to rock the deadline. You might need extra butter and salt for the Mets, as I’m hearing a trade sending Story and Jon Gray from Colorado to New York might happen.

• Boston ownership is encouraging chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom to make a push for Scherzer, as they’re dreaming of Chris Sale and Scherzer joining the starting rotation of the first-place Red Sox.

• Scherzer might get traded before Craig Kimbrel, the game’s best closer, with Kimbrel going to the team that loses out on Mighty Max. Watch the Phillies, Red Sox and Dodgers on Kimbrel.

Finally, one my favorites parts of the trade deadline is when my friends in the industry — from executives to scouts to media members — run trade ideas by me. I’ve been texted quite a few trade proposals over the last few days, and thought I’d share some of them. (Note: These ideas don’t necessarily reflect active trade talks between teams, although some do, but they’re trade matches that are being discussed by people in the game.)

• Nationals trade RHP Max Scherzer and SS Trea Turner to Dodgers for RHP Josiah Gray, C Diego Cartaya and INF Gavin Lux

• Twins trade RHP José Berríos, CF Byron Buxton and 3B Josh Donaldson to Phillies for RHP Spencer Howard and 3B Alec Bohm

• Cubs trade OF Kris Bryant to Giants for OF Heliot Ramos

Pirates trade RHP Richard Rodríguez to Blue Jays for SS Orelvis Martinez

Rockies trade SS Trevor Story and RHP Jon Gray to Brewers for SS Brice Turang and LHP Aaron Ashby

Rangers trade OF Joey Gallo to Yankees for RHP Deivi García and OF Estevan Florial

In the comments section, let me know which trade ideas you like and dislike, and share your own proposals. That’s part of what makes this time of year so fun.

The drama is building, and that flurry of trades could be right around the corner. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

And the 2 main Twins writers weight in about % for possible Twins trades -

The 5 Twins most likely to be traded before the deadline​

t’s not how they preferred it to be, but the Twins should be one of the most interesting teams in baseball leading up to Friday’s 3 p.m. CT trade deadline.

With Nelson Cruz already traded, Byron Buxton now seemingly available after contract extension talks broke down and a talented roster full of impending free agents and players with one or more years of team control remaining, the Twins promise to keep the front office busy all week.

Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey and general manager Thad Levine will undoubtedly field phone calls up until the final minutes from opposing GMs looking to improve their rosters for the postseason push.

Stuck in last place instead of contending for a third straight American League Central title, Twins players know what to expect this week. Taylor Rogers said “it’s inevitable” as players prepare to be shipped to teams better off in the standings.

With that in mind, we’re doing some educated speculation in determining who will stay and who could go before the weekend begins. We’ll not only review the likeliest of candidates but also dive deeper into players who make sense as the Twins contemplate how big of a selloff they intend to have.

Michael Pineda, RHP​

Chance he’s traded: 85 percent

Why it could happen

After more than a month of struggles related to being hit in the forearm by a comebacker, Pineda had it going again on Monday night in what’s almost sure to be his final start for the 2021 Twins. We say “2021” because the Twins are big fans of Big Mike, so we can’t rule out the possibility of him returning on a free-agent deal next season when he’s 33. But with free agency pending and the Twins decidedly out of the playoff picture, Pineda should draw a few suitors thanks to reliable performances in 2019 and 2020.

After having Tommy John surgery in 2017 and knee surgery in 2018, Pineda picked up the pace after May 2019 and was a force for the Twins over his next 20 starts, including five in 2020. In that stretch, Pineda struck out 115 batters in 113 2/3 innings and posted a 3.17 ERA while going 9-2. He carried that over to this season, posting a 2.62 ERA through May with 47 strikeouts in 44 2/3 innings before getting struck by a comebacker. Pineda struggled for four starts and needed a stint on the injured list, but he’s been good in his last two outings, allowing three earned runs while striking out nine and walking only one in 11 innings.

What the Twins can expect in return

Pineda’s recent IL stint no doubt takes a chunk out of his trade value, but back-to-back solid outings after a two-week pause around the All-Star break shows that he’s looking like his pre-injury self again and plenty of contenders could use him as a third or fourth starter capable of taking the ball in a playoff game. Pineda is beloved in the clubhouse and owed only $4 million for the remainder of the season, making him an obvious target for teams in need of rotation help but without a ton of payroll room or big-time prospect capital to invest.

Getting something of value for Pineda should be pretty straightforward, which is why he sits atop this list, but 10-12 starts of a mid-rotation starter not far removed from the IL is unlikely to generate a huge return. If the Twins can get one high-minors pitching prospect with big-league upside, or a pair of mid-tier prospects a little further away, that would represent a good outcome in saying goodbye — perhaps only temporarily — to Large Michael.

Andrelton Simmons, SS​

Chance he’s traded: 85 percent

Why it could happen

The Twins didn’t sign Simmons to a one-year deal worth $10.5 million because of his bat. They brought him in to help sharpen up the team’s infield defense, which had been miserable the past few years. Though Simmons isn’t quite the defender he once was, the veteran has been valuable and could easily contribute on a winning team down the stretch. He’s a low-key persona who happens to turn in spectacular plays.

That skill set alone should make him a valuable commodity to a contender, even if it’s to give that team a dynamite defender off the bench. One potential drawback for Simmons’ trade candidacy is he hasn’t been vaccinated — something he’s been open about on social media — and could hurt a team that is near the 85 percent COVID-19 threshold if added to the roster.

Simmons ranks 29th out of 30 starting shortstops in OPS, but he’s still one of the game’s better fielders and several contenders — Oakland, Cincinnati, Cleveland — have gotten similarly poor offensive production from their shortstops. If one of them views Simmons as a clear upgrade, the Twins might be able to shed the remaining $4 million on his one-year contract and get a mid-tier prospect. If instead Simmons’ market is limited to contenders interested in him as a backup, the salary dump and a low-level minor leaguer may have to suffice.

What value does saving money have to the Twins in terms of the on-field product? None unless the front office reinvests it into future payrolls, but ownership surely would love as much of a rebate as possible after back-to-back seasons with lower than expected revenues. By trading Cruz, the Twins already saved $5 million and it’s possible that could climb above $15 million in total with more money-shedding trades, potentially giving ownership less reason to cut the 2022 payroll. That’s the optimistic view, anyway. If they don’t spend it, there’s no real value.

Alexander Colomé, RHP​

Chance he’s traded: 80 percent

Why it could happen

You’re probably looking at this one kind of sideways right now. You’re probably thinking Dan and Aaron have been doing a little too much drinking while on deadline and we wouldn’t blame you. His March/April was awful. It’s well-documented how much Colomé crushed the Twins with his woeful performance in the season’s first weeks. But here’s the thing — Colomé has clearly figured some things out and is back to producing more consistently.

Monday night, when he was brought on in an emergency after Rogers exited with a finger injury, wasn’t optimal, as Colomé surrendered a game-tying home run. Yet since May 1, Colomé has a 3.77 ERA with 24 strikeouts in 28 2/3 innings. He hasn’t been pristine and still at times has looked pretty suspect, but since May 1 he has an expected batting average of .249 compared with .308 in April. Someone will take a flier on him because of his experience pitching big innings throughout his career and the low price tag.

Colomé having any trade value whatsoever seemed impossible not so long ago, but he’s quietly turned things around while working primarily low- and medium-leverage situations, posting a neutral Win Probability Added after looking ready to challenge Ron Davis for the worst WPA in team history during April.

That’s not enough for contending teams to value him as an actual late-inning option again — they have eyes, after all — but it should be enough for the Twins to shed the remaining $2 million on his one-year contract while perhaps also receiving a low-level prospect to make it look like more than just a pure salary dump.

“Great trade, what they’d get?” will be a reasonable response if/when Twins fans see news of a Colomé deal this week.

José Berríos, RHP​

Chance he’s traded: 60 percent

Why it could happen

The consensus is the Twins would need another team to back up the Brink’s truck and dump a ton of prospects on their lawn for this to happen. Given that the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers went all-out to build championship contenders during the offseason, now could use pitching help and both have great farm systems, it’s a good bet the Twins could have their price met.

Unless Max Scherzer is made available by the Washington Nationals, Berríos would easily be the top starting pitcher option on the market. Berríos is 27 and striking out 9.5 batters per nine since 2020 (32 starts). He’s been outstanding this season, averaging more than six innings per start and taking the mound every time out. And, with his free agency — which he plans to test — not coming until after next season, Berríos isn’t just a two-month rental, making him that much more expensive. If the Twins can bring in a haul, they just may part with Berríos.

Based on recent deals for similar pitchers, such as Marcus Stroman in mid-2019, the going rate for an under-30 frontline starter like Berríos with one-plus season under team control is at least two borderline top-100 global prospects. There are strong indications that the Twins could bring in more than that based on how well Berríos is pitching and how many contenders are pursuing him, making it awfully tempting to accept one of many appealing offers even if they aren’t forced to move him now.

If the Twins do trade Berríos, expect them to target high-minors, big-league-ready pitching, perhaps even demanding a young major leaguer in addition to multiple upper-level prospects. They have leverage here, combining the best product on the market with plenty of time to trade him if they can’t find a deal they like this week. And they could always get a draft pick if Berríos leaves as post-2022 free agent, setting a high baseline for any trade discussions before then. They want to be blown away by an offer and it could happen.

Josh Donaldson, 3B​

Chance he’s traded: 55 percent

Why it could happen

Donaldson has been a winner everywhere he’s gone, appearing in the postseason seven of the last nine seasons (a right calf injury kept him from playing in the 2020 postseason). The Twins signed him to the largest free-agent deal in club history in January 2020 for that very reason. Though calf injuries have slowed him over the years, Donaldson is still a very valuable contributor on a winning club. He has been very good at the plate in 2021, belting his 16th homer on Monday night.

The chances of Donaldson being moved would largely revolve around how much of the $55 million he’s still owed the Twins are willing to absorb. A club source indicated earlier this season that ownership would potentially OK such a trade if the deal made sense for the future. If the Twins were to trade Berríos, they’d seemingly be throwing in their cards for 2022, which would make Donaldson an expensive, win-now piece for a club looking to retool.

Donaldson isn’t for everyone, so some contending teams simply won’t make a run at him even though his on-field production has been fantastic since returning from the IL in mid-April. He’s played 80 out of 90 games since then, hitting .250/.354/.481 with 46 walks versus 67 strikeouts, including homering 11 times with a .582 slugging percentage in his last 38 games. That should make moving Donaldson easier, but the Twins will likely still have to choose between shedding maximum money or eating a big chunk of his contract to boost the prospect return.

If he were a free agent this offseason, it seems reasonable to assume the 35-year-old would be in line for a one- or two-year deal worth around $15 million per season. Compared with his actual contract, that puts his negative trade value at approximately a $20 million deficit. If the Twins eat that much or more, they should expect to get a decent prospect or two back. If the Twins eat less than that, then the payroll savings will likely represent most of the value in a Donaldson trade.

The next-most likely to be moved

Byron Buxton, CF

The center fielder’s chances of being moved increased noticeably on Sunday when his representatives informed the Twins they couldn’t come to terms on a contract extension. Still, Buxton being hurt could hinder the possibility of a trade. Buxton is an interesting case because he’s a dynamic force with talent that can be matched by few players throughout the league. His market would surely be harder to gauge based on Buxton playing in only 37 percent of his team’s games since 2018. However, if a team were willing to meet their price now, he could go.

Max Kepler, OF

Kepler has played well since returning from a hamstring injury in mid-June, slugging .482 with eight homers in 30 games. Owed a reasonable $6.75 million in 2022 and $8.5 million in 2023, plus a team option for 2024, he’ll appeal to contenders looking to reshape their outfield for multiple seasons and could be especially intriguing to teams in need of left-handed power. There’s no urgency to move Kepler, but with lefty bats Alex Kirilloff, Trevor Larnach and Luis Arraez giving the Twins plenty of options in the outfield corners, Kepler could be used as a way to bring in pitching help.

Kenta Maeda, RHP

A month ago, there was no way the Twins would have considered moving Maeda, as they’d have been selling low on an asset with two more seasons under an inexpensive contract. But Maeda has improved while getting healthier, striking out 46 batters in his past 37 innings while walking only 13. Maeda also has been less susceptible to the long ball, allowing three in that span after yielding nine in his first 42 2/3 innings. He’s drawn interest from contending clubs, with San Diego having expressed a desire to bring him back out West.

Hansel Robles, RHP

Similar to Pineda, moving Robles should be pretty straightforward. He’s a solid, well-liked veteran reliever owed less than $1 million for the rest of his one-year contract, and Robles could slide into a medium-leverage role in nearly any contender’s bullpen. Unfortunately for the Twins, those types of relievers don’t usually bring back much in the way of value, because the market is always flooded. Moving him will be easy. Moving him for legit value will be a taller task.

Editor’s note: We had a kick-ass writeup on Taylor Rogers and initially had his chances of being traded listed at 65 percent, but he sustained a sprained middle finger on his left hand in the ninth inning on Monday. With Rogers’ health uncertain, we pulled him off the board.

MLB Trade Rumors via Jim Bowden @ The Athletic (Twins stuff bolded)

In terms of Scherzer, the Giants and Dodgers are the front-runners to acquire the Nationals’ ace, but they are not close to the finish line, according to sources. I was also told to not rule out the Padres, Red Sox and Rays in the Scherzer sweepstakes. The situation is fascinating because Scherzer has a complete no-trade clause as a player with 10 years of MLB service, five consecutive with the same club. If the three-time Cy Young winner decides he wants to go to a certain team, he just has to nix all of the other trade proposals that are brought to him. Although there’s no indication Scherzer is eyeing one club above all others (Rosenthal reported Tuesday night that Scherzer’s preference is one of the three NL West contenders — the Padres, Dodgers and Giants), that could become a factor as trade talks unfold.

Based on conversations with people around the league, here are my thoughts on some other trade developments:

• Because of the asking price the Nationals have put on Trea Turner, it is unlikely they trade him by the deadline. Interested teams have pointed out that if they wait a few months, they could potentially sign a top free-agent shortstop such as Corey Seager, Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Trevor Story or Marcus Semien without giving up any prospects.

• However, the Nationals are likely to deal Brad Hand and Daniel Hudson, as well as Scherzer, and might even dangle Josh Bell for the right return.

• The Cubs have been slow to act despite all their potential trade pieces, and I wonder if they could have had Luzardo for Kris Bryant. That would have been a solid deal for the Cubs, who desperately need to rebuild their starting rotation.

• The Twins are still trying to extend José Berríos and Byron Buxton, and the Rangers are trying to do the same with Joey Gallo. If agreements aren’t reached, those players could all be moved.

• The Brewers are willing to trade their best prospects (Brice Turang, Garrett Mitchell, Aaron Ashby, Hedbert Perez, Ethan Small), if needed, and are committed to adding a corner-infield impact bat.

• Get your popcorn ready in New York as the Mets and Yankees are expected to rock the deadline. You might need extra butter and salt for the Mets, as I’m hearing a trade sending Story and Jon Gray from Colorado to New York might happen.

• Boston ownership is encouraging chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom to make a push for Scherzer, as they’re dreaming of Chris Sale and Scherzer joining the starting rotation of the first-place Red Sox.

• Scherzer might get traded before Craig Kimbrel, the game’s best closer, with Kimbrel going to the team that loses out on Mighty Max. Watch the Phillies, Red Sox and Dodgers on Kimbrel.

Finally, one my favorites parts of the trade deadline is when my friends in the industry — from executives to scouts to media members — run trade ideas by me. I’ve been texted quite a few trade proposals over the last few days, and thought I’d share some of them. (Note: These ideas don’t necessarily reflect active trade talks between teams, although some do, but they’re trade matches that are being discussed by people in the game.)

• Nationals trade RHP Max Scherzer and SS Trea Turner to Dodgers for RHP Josiah Gray, C Diego Cartaya and INF Gavin Lux

• Twins trade RHP José Berríos, CF Byron Buxton and 3B Josh Donaldson to Phillies for RHP Spencer Howard and 3B Alec Bohm

• Cubs trade OF Kris Bryant to Giants for OF Heliot Ramos

Pirates trade RHP Richard Rodríguez to Blue Jays for SS Orelvis Martinez

Rockies trade SS Trevor Story and RHP Jon Gray to Brewers for SS Brice Turang and LHP Aaron Ashby

Rangers trade OF Joey Gallo to Yankees for RHP Deivi García and OF Estevan Florial

In the comments section, let me know which trade ideas you like and dislike, and share your own proposals. That’s part of what makes this time of year so fun.

The drama is building, and that flurry of trades could be right around the corner. Tick-tock, tick-tock.
No way I do that trade to the Phillies.

‘I want to be here’: Byron Buxton keeps door open with Twins as trade deadline nears​

Byron Buxton is not frustrated that contract talks with the Twins broke down. In fact, he made it clear he’d like to stay with the team.

With the trade deadline quickly approaching, whether Buxton will still be a member of the organization after this week remains to be seen. Buxton played catch Monday while wearing a soft protective guard on his hand, the latest step in his rehab from a broken left pinky finger.

Afterward, the center fielder addressed his future with the Twins a day after news broke that the two sides couldn’t come to terms on a contract extension, an outcome that could lead to a trade of Buxton this week. Major League Baseball’s trade deadline is set for 3 p.m. Friday and there’s a possibility the Twins, who will be very popular because of the talent on their roster, could trade Buxton despite his injury.

“Everybody knows I want to be here,” Buxton said. “It’s just one of those things. We didn’t come to an agreement, but it’s not the first time it’s happened. We’ve been in numerous conversations before, and it’s not the end. You never know how many more chances they have to communicate with each other. So, it’s just one of those things where, like I said, it’s unfortunate this time. But I’m here with the Twins, I’m under contract with the Twins next year, and hopefully I’m with the Twins to end my career. It’s unfortunate at the moment.”

The two sides worked for more than a week on a potential extension that would provide the oft-injured outfielder with long-term security while keeping him in a Twins uniform for the rest of his career at a rate that would take into account Buxton’s 11 trips to the injured list. By the end, the Twins had increased the guaranteed money to $80 million over seven years, a figure both sides seemed to find satisfactory. Sources indicated that potential earnings through incentives were the hang-up for the sides.

Even so, Buxton said he’d like to stay with the Twins, the team that used the second pick to select him during the 2012 draft.

“My representatives know I want to be here, so they take that into account,” Buxton said. “So, I don’t really have to say too much else because they know where I want to be.”

In an interview with Fox 9 KMSP on Monday, Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey said “it means a lot” that Buxton wants to remain with the club. Falvey wouldn’t get into specifics about the contract negotiations and instead discussed Buxton’s rehab from an injury he sustained five weeks ago when he was hit in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati’s Tyler Mahle. The broken finger led to the 11th injured-list stint of Buxton’s career.

“We’ve made no secret of the way we feel about Byron as a player and a person,” Falvey said. “It’s certainly his right to talk specifics about anything he wants to. Our focus now is getting him healthy, getting him back on the field and getting him back ready to play.

“Byron will be the first to tell you he’s had some real tough luck along the way. He hasn’t been on the field as much as he’d like to be, and that’s something we’re trying to focus on, getting him back already.”

In more upbeat Buxton news, manager Rocco Baldelli suggested this is the point where the American League’s player of the month for April is beginning to ramp things up. Buxton has been wearing a removable protective guard on the finger of his glove hand since he was injured. Buxton described it as a protective gel to provide resistance when he plays catch. After Buxton initially returned to the field Saturday, his activities have begun to increase.

“His rehab is actually going to start including some light gripping exercises,” Baldelli said. “We’re at that point now where he is going to start some activity. Again, it will begin with lighter movements and strengthening and mobility for his hand in his wrist and his arm. … We are already there. So that’s exciting.”

Though there may be slight discomfort because he hasn’t played catch since June, Buxton said he’s not experiencing pain in the finger. He described his injury — one that undoubtedly played into seeking financial security through an extension — as a little bit tougher than previous ones. He sustained the broken finger in only his third game back after missing 39 in a row with a Grade 2 hip strain.

“I’ve been able to come to the ballpark and realize each day’s a blessing,” Buxton said. “I’m grateful to be here. It made me cherish that moment a little bit better, to want to get back even more.”

And now he’d like to stay. But with this round of negotiations complete, there’s a chance Buxton could be traded before the week is out. Because he’s under team control for another season after this, Buxton could bring back a ton in return despite his injury. The Twins are almost certain to explore those options before Friday’s deadline.

“It is what it is,” Buxton said. “Obviously for me, the Twins drafted me, so this is where I want to spend my career. There’s not too much I can say for anybody else, but for me, I know where I want to spend my career.”

Rogers exits early with middle finger sprain​

Taylor Rogers’ chances of being traded this week could have hit a snag Monday night when he was removed only five pitches into a relief appearance with an apparent injury. Rogers wildly unleashed two consecutive sliders to Jeimer Candelario and immediately looked at his finger, which brought Baldelli and the Twins training staff onto the field.

Rogers exited the game without attempting a warmup toss and was diagnosed as having a sprained left middle finger.

“His middle finger is a little swollen,” Baldelli said. “He had a little bit of discomfort throwing the ball. Obviously, wasn’t coming out good. I thought originally the ball was just slipping out of his hand. I thought he was sweaty and the ball was slipping out. But his finger … was a little sore. And we just we’re not going to leave him out there to try to throw. … We’re gonna get him looked at just to make sure he’s doing OK. He seemed OK in the clubhouse. We were chatting with him just a little while ago in the line after the win. He seemed very calm and composed and seemed fine. Did not appear to be in pain in any way, but he was feeling some discomfort.”

A free agent after next season, Rogers has been a popular ask from teams calling the Twins about trades as the deadline nears. Rogers is 2-4 with a 3.35 ERA and 59 strikeouts against only eight walks in 40 1/3 innings this season. Baldelli suggested Rogers would undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

“When he lets a slider slip like that, I think every pitcher has done that once or twice before so I didn’t think anything of it,” catcher Mitch Garver said. “You know, could have been sweat, could have been a dry ball, one of those things. When he did it again, things just didn’t look right. His command is usually elite, so when he throws a ball like that it’s a little (suspect).”

Interested to see how Mad Max being traded to the Dodgers affects Berrios and teams desire for him. Hopefully this ups our leverage as the Dodgers weren't originally considered a player and don't need him like other teams do IMO.

This move by the Dodgers leaves the Padres still needing an arm as well as the Mets (who need one to shore up their rotation and counter the Yanks Gallo/Rizzo acquisitions.

Vs .... Israel?

The Israeli's have a baseball team?
Mainly American Jews who were able to get Israeli passports using the Law of Return.

Valencia & Ian Kinsler are the most recognizable names on the team.

The team made it to the 2nd round of the WBC in 2019, and therefore is qualified for 2023's WBC.

Mainly American Jews who were able to get Israeli passports using the Law of Return.

Valencia & Ian Kinsler are the most recognizable names on the team.

The team made it to the 2nd round of the WBC in 2019, and therefore is qualified for 2023's WBC.
Being able to get a passport, or even live there for a few years, should not qualify you to play on a team representing that nation.

You should've had to have spent (or currently spend) a significant portion of your life and growing up in that nation, to be able to represent it.

/derail

Top Bottom