All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Randy Breuer two time first team all Big Ten center had game . Gophers have no options. While this covid free agency helped many teams it put Minnesota in position to field one of the worst products talent wise this program has ever seen. Ben Johnson might wish he had waited for a head coaching opportunity but he does have a great payday.
Randy was a good player, but at 7'3" he could not dunk the ball.

Didn't see if someone said it here, but I saw Cock-burn is going back to Illinois.

Not that we had any chance at him, of course.

Randy took the technical free throws for the team. And had great hands. Played goalie on his intramural soccer team.

Would a Randy Breuer or Minute Bol be drafted in today's NBA? Would they be highly sought at the Major D1 level today? With the advent of the 3 point shot and analytics I wonder how they would have fared.

Well, remember, far fewer players, period, are drafted today than in Breuer's time. A lot more are just signed as free agents than back then. There's still a place in the NBA for players like Breuer but that's certainly not an almost sure thing like it may have been in his time.

Randy was a good player, but at 7'3" he could not dunk the ball.

Just watched a Gopher tribute video to Breuer on u tube with Randy clearly dunking. I had wondered if my memory had failed. Really disappointing people that apparently didn’t see him play need to disparage him. Jordan posterized many great athletes and seven footers so I don’t see the point.

Last edited:

Just watched a Gopher tribute video on u tube with Randy clearly dunking. I had wondered if my memory had failed. Really disappointing people that apparently didn’t see him play need to disparage him. Being tall and pale brings out the stereotypes LOL
Yeah, not trying to side track the thread, but it’s total BS that he couldn’t dunk.

Just watched a Gopher tribute video to Breuer on u tube with Randy clearly dunking. I had wondered if my memory had failed. Really disappointing people that apparently didn’t see him play need to disparage him. Jordan posterized many great athletes and seven footers so I don’t see the point.
I wasn't disparaging Breuer. I was saying that the game is played differently, requiring the 5 to move out to the perimeter and make 3 point shots or be extremely athletic (think Greek Freak). Randy could do neither of these things. But, for his era, he fit the role of the 5 quite well.

The whole dunking over someone being some sort of "thing" that is so impressive? I don't get it.. These people are tall and can dunk, so what. Spud Webb dunking, that was impressive!

I watched Randy play. He never dunked the ball. Even though he was tall enough to almost dunk it flat footed, he could barely jump over a line painting on the court…

I was just having fun with the Jordan clip. It is no surprise to Randy that he wasn’t the most “gifted” athlete. He was well away of it. He was a very good player for his age and we all cheered and rooted for him.

The whole dunking over someone being some sort of "thing" that is so impressive? I don't get it.. These people are tall and can dunk, so what. Spud Webb dunking, that was impressive!
Kenny Johnson over Hakeem was impressive!

In need of frontcourt depth, Minnesota has added 6-foot-7, 220 pound graduate transfer Danny Ogele from division two Mercy Hurt University in Pennsylvania. Ogele announced his commitment a few hours ago. Ogele, originally from Chicago, averaged 10.5 points and nearly five rebounds a game during the 2020-21 season.

Ogele took to twitter a few hours ago and announced the following:

"I just want to thank God because without him I am nothing," Ogele said. "Thank you to my family, friends and coaches who stayed in my corner and guided me through the process. I am excited to announce that I will be attending the University of Minnesota to pursue my master's degree."

In need of frontcourt depth, Minnesota has added 6-foot-7, 220 pound graduate transfer Danny Ogele from division two Mercy Hurt University in Pennsylvania. Ogele announced his commitment a few hours ago. Ogele, originally from Chicago, averaged 10.5 points and nearly five rebounds a game during the 2020-21 season.

Ogele took to twitter a few hours ago and announced the following:

"I just want to thank God because without him I am nothing," Ogele said. "Thank you to my family, friends and coaches who stayed in my corner and guided me through the process. I am excited to announce that I will be attending the University of Minnesota to pursue my master's degree."
Thanks for the news buddy. Now I'll add the commentary: Another awful undeserving of a B1G roster spot recruit by BJ. Glad we have someone who will take up space. Now solely because of this guy we will lose every game by 30 instead of 40. I'm excited.

I watched Randy play. He never dunked the ball. Even though he was tall enough to almost dunk it flat footed, he could barely jump over a line painting on the court…

I was just having fun with the Jordan clip. It is no surprise to Randy that he wasn’t the most “gifted” athlete. He was well away of it. He was a very good player for his age and we all cheered and rooted for him.
Cool, sorry for the side track .Although after today’s transfer I need diversions .

an interesting one. Silvio De Sousa from kansas to chattanooga. I was wondering if Ben et al might be interested depending on how his assault court case goes - i think that goes to trial early august.

I'm sure Ben lost interest when "assault court case" was mentioned...

Oh, hell, if it didn't bother Chattanooga, why should it bother us?

Just kidding. Pretty tough to preach character building and then offer a kid who, based on the circumstances, has at least the appearance of questionable character.

I was wondering why it took so long for this player to be picked up given his pedigree.

Perhaps because Otzelberger has been a head coach before.
Are you saying players don’t want to risk their future and take a flyer on an unproven coach. For good recruits it would be like spending your life savings on powerball tickets

nate to croatia

steffon retweeted a post about nate playing in zagreb. guessing sterling is in this category as well, play professionally anywhere instead of going back to school?

I guess I dont know if he "fits our culture" and sounds like for '21 they dont care much about actual talent but I wouldnt be upset if we were able to land this kid!
I'm sure they'd reach out if they felt he fit. They got one more spot I believe?

I guess I dont know if he "fits our culture" and sounds like for '21 they dont care much about actual talent but I wouldnt be upset if we were able to land this kid!
the guy who committed to Arizona this april then a couple weeks later committed to WSU and has now changed his mind again, that guy?

And when is the last time we had a center that won like his teams did and then had a 11 year NBA career.

I guess Trevor Winter and Jim Shikenjanski (sp?) won a lot but didn't have the long NBA careers. And Joel Pryzbilla didn't win as much, but was in the league for quite a long time.

Top Bottom