All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

jackson purcell added to the roster

Charlie Big Country Daniels next?

Additional comment from Ryan James:
Take both (Manley and Folarin) if they don't get Mitchell? Sure but if they are getting Manley, they are surely getting Mitchell. Mitchell's current hesitation is that he doesn't want to play center next year.
Folarin would give the Gophs three guys that can play the five: Treyton, Folarin, and Daniels. That would also likely help Mitchell but at the same time, are you going to start one of those guys at the five? My guess is you would much rather have Mitchell and Ihnen together, or Mitchell and Battle together at times. If you have Manley you have a starting center for at least half the game and that's why he is so important.

Additional comment from Ryan James:
Take both (Manley and Folarin) if they don't get Mitchell? Sure but if they are getting Manley, they are surely getting Mitchell. Mitchell's current hesitation is that he doesn't want to play center next year.
Folarin would give the Gophs three guys that can play the five: Treyton, Folarin, and Daniels. That would also likely help Mitchell but at the same time, are you going to start one of those guys at the five? My guess is you would much rather have Mitchell and Ihnen together, or Mitchell and Battle together at times. If you have Manley you have a starting center for at least half the game and that's why he is so important.
Interesting nugget about Mitchell. I was wondering if that might be the case with him. Guys typically love to play "smaller" positions than their size (for example, Amir wanting to play PG, or Martice Mitchell thinking he was a wing or guard). They rarely want to play up though.

Wonder if we get word on Manley in the next week after this next workout. The NBA draft being pushed out this year is annoying!

Short video of the new guys arriving on campus.

Radius looks like an extremely convenient location for athletes, right next to "the village".

I wonder if the school basically has several units in there on retainer or something like that, to sub-let or let athletes stay there, and pays the rent. However that works within NCAA rules.

jericho makes the combine. no steffon, so should we expect a decision soon?
steffon had San Diego State, Utah and Minnesota as his final 3 plus going pro. Aren't SDSU and Utah's rosters full?

noting McKinley made it as well

Last edited:

Radius looks like an extremely convenient location for athletes, right next to "the village".

I wonder if the school basically has several units in there on retainer or something like that, to sub-let or let athletes stay there, and pays the rent. However that works within NCAA rules.
Radius is University owned housing. They bought it from the original developer a while ago.

jericho makes the combine. no steffon, so should we expect a decision soon?
steffon had San Diego State, Utah and Minnesota as his final 3 plus going pro. Aren't SDSU and Utah's rosters full?

noting McKinley made it as well

Mitchell might be waiting to see if we get a commit from a big guy first because he doesn't want to play the 5.

^^^ so that comment must be with regard to Steffon, not Tre.

Are we sure that we were recruiting Tre?

Doogie says Steff Mitchell is pretty much not happening. Sounds like he goes to Europe or to Craig Smith.

Doogie says Steff Mitchell is pretty much not happening. Sounds like he goes to Europe or to Craig Smith.
On his recent pod he said he was pursuing pro full on at this time. If he doesn’t get a good deal, then he’ll play. Utah is pretty full at the 4 and 5 I believe. I think it’ll be us or San Diego State

"This is where it is important to note again that Smith has one scholarship left to use, and that Utah remains in the mix with Boston College graduate transfer Steffon Mitchell, a 6-foot-8, defensive-minded forward with 108 games of experience under his belt for the ACC program."

Hopefully they can close the deal with Manley & Mitchell in the next few weeks. They need them both. Can't imagine what the back up option is if both decide to go pro and play in Europe.

On his recent pod he said he was pursuing pro full on at this time. If he doesn’t get a good deal, then he’ll play. Utah is pretty full at the 4 and 5 I believe. I think it’ll be us or San Diego State
This is what I heard too.

i was thinking LeDee filled the role at SDSU, but it looks like he has to sit one. SDSU had no transfers out, have two seniors electing to play another year and not count toward the 13. They currently have 18 players listed on their 2021-22 roster, not clear there are scholarships left to offer. Regardless, plenty of players competing for playing time.

Top Bottom