All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Not to mention the productivity jump he made from one year to the next; his potential has not been fully tapped.
Yep, this article covers his jump in productivity quite well.

We also need staggered transfers, we can't afford all to be one-and-done for the sake of continuity.

We also need staggered transfers, we can't afford all to be one-and-done for the sake of continuity.
The portal is going to be like this every year.

Guys at lower level schools who played well there for 3-4 years, maybe graduated but now it doesn't matter as much, looking to upgrade.

The portal is going to be like this every year.

Guys at lower level schools who played well there for 3-4 years, maybe graduated but now it doesn't matter as much, looking to upgrade.

Unfortunately, we're going to have this issue with transfers who have completed four years of eligibility already for the next few years unless schools en masse declare they are not going to fund scholarships for additional years. This was a dumb rule. If they said that anyone who played less than some number of games this year (say 12 or 13) could get an extra year, I'd understand that but saying that anyone who played this year gets an extra year makes no sense.

but saying that anyone who played this year gets an extra year makes no sense.
Well first of all ... things were very different at the time they made that decision.

It wasn't for certain by any means that there would be able to even play a whole season.

And this year hasn't been "fun" by any means, for these guys. All the testing, quarantining, regimented lifestyle. These guys aren't big men on campus. There is no campus. No students around.

Travel, you're probably locked in your hotel room the whole time. Can only come out for meetings or to go to the gym. Maybe even bring their food to them in their rooms, who knows.

It's like being sent to the moon, to live, eat, and breath basketball. And take some virtual classes.

That's not the usual experience. So I think it is right to let this year not count. My opinion.

9 and 6 in the Big Ten is solid production. He has potential for even more. He would be an excellent player to get.
Add in 1.3 blocks a game last year. Working in tandem with Liam could be a heck of a problem around the basket for opponents.

Includes a redshirt year as a functional high school senior as he made himself eligible early.
So you're saying that the 2017-18 college basketball season ... he graduated Armstrong late in 2017 and joined IU for the spring 2018 semester, and used that season as a redshirt?

I don't understand why anyone would do that, particularly sacrificing your senior year on your high school team?

If you were going to play right away, that would be another matter.

Why not just enjoy your senior year, join IU in the fall 2018 and use 2018-19 as your freshman redshirt year?

OK - thanks. With 2 years remaining my opinion changes.

Well first of all ... things were very different at the time they made that decision.

It wasn't for certain by any means that there would be able to even play a whole season.

And this year hasn't been "fun" by any means, for these guys. All the testing, quarantining, regimented lifestyle. These guys aren't big men on campus. There is no campus. No students around.

Travel, you're probably locked in your hotel room the whole time. Can only come out for meetings or to go to the gym. Maybe even bring their food to them in their rooms, who knows.

It's like being sent to the moon, to live, eat, and breath basketball. And take some virtual classes.

That's not the usual experience. So I think it is right to let this year not count. My opinion.
I wondered the same thing when he did it. Thought seemed to be he would get a head start on college level competition and conditioning. Plan was derailed when he had the injury (concussion?) that kept him out most of his season that would have been his freshman year. Early entry is more common now.

It does. It would be interesting if he gave a hard look at Minnesota. When Smart left VCI for Texas he had recruited Murphy. Then we got him. Deja vu if we get another under sized PF in the same fashion. :)

Smart and Deja vu in the same paragraph bring up too many bad memories - our time with Norwood at the helm was a disaster.

This dude is just what the doctor ordered for Minnesota. Well rounded combo forward who is especially known for his shooting abilities. Hope Johnson can find a way to add him to the 2021 class.

His 247 page says he signed a letter of intent with Texas back in November.

Can you break that, just because the coach leaves? Not saying you shouldn't be able to, just wondering.

His 247 page says he signed a letter of intent with Texas back in November.

Can you break that, just because the coach leaves? Not saying you shouldn't be able to, just wondering.
You have to request a release. It's almost unheard of that they don't let you out of them now a days.

Why even sign them, then? Just announce that your recruiting is over and shut down on Twitter, and coaches should leave you alone.

You have to request a release. It's almost unheard of that they don't let you out of them now a days.

Do you know for sure that this hasn't happened already? He's listed as a decommitted player on 247 with a date of April 3rd.

Do you know for sure that this hasn't happened already? He's listed as a decommitted player on 247 with a date of April 3rd.
That I have no idea on. Just know that the school has to release them. I think some may hold on and hire a new coach first, but I am not sure.

That I have no idea on. Just know that the school has to release them. I think some may hold on and hire a new coach first, but I am not sure.

I just googled him and saw an article from two days ago (the 4th) saying he has requested that release already.

According to his listed offers, Minnesota was the only Big Ten school to offer (I'm assuming that was during his initial recruitment). Looking at those listed schools, Georgetown is the one that would concern me the most. That school has a long history of developing big men and has one of the best in history as their coach.

Top Bottom