All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Minnesota can now offer immediate playing time at almost all positions with 9 players in the portal and only 2 players who have stated the desire to return. Plus 3 mid major players in transfers.

Go get em Ben!

We are so screwed.

Minnesota can now offer immediate playing time at almost all positions with 9 players in the portal and only 2 players who have stated the desire to return. Plus 3 mid major players in transfers.

Go get em Ben!

We are so screwed.

Is there a new one? I saw 7 + Omersa earlier.

His 247 page says he signed a letter of intent with Texas back in November.

Can you break that, just because the coach leaves? Not saying you shouldn't be able to, just wondering.
Yeah Kenny Pohto about do to the same thing

Yeah Kenny Pohto about do to the same thing
You know or are you guessing? Would not be surprised, but on the other hand, he could be lined up for big minutes as a freshman if he comes here. Sounded like when he signed, he was a bit of a project, but it sounded like those who saw him on TV said he as bigger and more skilled than we had been led to believe.

You know or are you guessing? Would not be surprised, but on the other hand, he could be lined up for big minutes as a freshman if he comes here. Sounded like when he signed, he was a bit of a project, but it sounded like those who saw him on TV said he as bigger and more skilled than we had been led to believe.
I'm guessing. They said during his last game after season ends he's going to reassess his college plans after Minnesota's coach moved on. Yes he looked thicker and can hit 3s, more ready then Treyton

The way its looking now Pohto could be starting this year.
Works for me. We are going to be bad anyway unless the winds change dramatically. I wouldn't mind a few of the guys like Ihnen and Pohto and Thompson get some really good minutes and learn on the job without much pressure other than to learn to do things right. Live with the mistakes and have some fun. Be ready to roll the following year.

Works for me. We are going to be bad anyway unless the winds change dramatically. I wouldn't mind a few of the guys like Ihnen and Pohto and Thompson get some really good minutes and learn on the job without much pressure other than to learn to do things right. Live with the mistakes and have some fun. Be ready to roll the following year.
Correct. They're going to learn the hard way but develop quickly.

Yeah, I agree. 15 minutes from now he will probably go into the portal.... but at the moment... If I were him and seeing Robbins possible adios, I'd be thinking playing big minutes in the Big Ten is a pretty good opportunity.

Yeah, I agree. 15 minutes from now he will probably go into the portal.... but at the moment... If I were him and seeing Robbins possible adios, I'd be thinking playing big minutes in the Big Ten is a pretty good opportunity.

I suspect Johnson will try to get a veteran center and I think he has a good chance of success. There are a lot of centers in the transfer portal.

I can't post the tweet, but Marcus Fuller indicated that North Dakota big man Filip Rebraca is expected to do a video call with Johnson on Thursday. The 6-9 junior had 23 pts in the 76-67 loss at the Barn in Dec. Rebraca has done zooms with Iowa, Tulsa, and Va. Tech. Avg 16.9 ppg and 7.6 rpg.

I can't post the tweet, but Marcus Fuller indicated that North Dakota big man Filip Rebraca is expected to do a video call with Johnson on Thursday. The 6-9 junior had 23 pts in the 76-67 loss at the Barn in Dec. Rebraca has done zooms with Iowa, Tulsa, and Va. Tech. Avg 16.9 ppg and 7.6 rpg.
I have no idea how he would hold up in B10 play but I was impressed with what I saw against the Gophers.

"The staff’s (Iowa) primary thing was trying to show me how I could fit in the offense if I went there," Rebraca told the Register. "I was really impressed by the way they play and it seems fun to play that type of basketball."

"The staff’s (Iowa) primary thing was trying to show me how I could fit in the offense if I went there," Rebraca told the Register. "I was really impressed by the way they play and it seems fun to play that type of basketball."
Would be pretty easy to fit him in there if Liam doesn't go there. Replacing Nunge and possibly starting as Garza most likely moving on.

I also thought he looked good against Minnesota and would welcome him here. Will be interesting to see what happens with him, Fox, and Race as well as showing interest in Groves from Eastern Washington. Lot of bigs to keep an eye on

per Shama:

New University of Minnesota basketball coach Ben Johnson has commitments from three transfers so far but interestingly none play the power forward position occupied last season by Brandon Johnson. It’s possible that spot could be filled next season by a state native, with Minnesotans Chet Holmgren, Race Thompson, Nate Reuvers and Dawson Garcia attracting speculation.

College basketball is a fluid landscape like never before with players and coaches frequently changing addresses. It’s evident Holmgren and his father David Holmgren didn’t want to make a commitment last fall during the signing period for high school players. They decided to see who is coming and going this spring, but soon the nation’s No. 1 recruit in the class of 2021 will have to choose either a college or an opportunity in the NBA’s development league following Chet’s superlative career at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis. (It’s interesting that ongoing internet articles have Chet choosing Gonzaga but offer no definitive sources.)

Ben Johnson is trying to make Chet a Gopher, a task perhaps made easier with his dad being a U alum. Chet is a gifted two-way player who Johnson could offer to build his offense and defense around. At 7-feet, but only about 200 pounds, Holmgren needs physical support from a big center. If center Liam Robbins remains with the Gophers he could be a bargaining chip for Johnson in the recruitment of Holmgren, but Robbins entered the transfer portal as of yesterday.

Go Gophers!!

Not a great shooter, especially from the stripe. We need kids who can drain three's and make free throws.
Mohamud is active, but I'm not sure that is the most important asset for the Gophers.
This. No more bricklayers, please.

Top Bottom