All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Holy inefficient...Would rather we struggle with a young guy than have a guy come in who is going to jack a bunch of shots up. Every offense is different but these don't look great
View attachment 12224
EDIT: Also a disclaimer I haven't watched him play so I really shouldn't say anything overly strong either way
His PER is 16 for the last 2 seasons. For reference, Carr was a 20.1 this year (19.1 last year) and Mashburn was a 9.4. His true shooting % was about the same as Carr this year. Haven't seen him play either, but just something to keep in mind

Holy inefficient...Would rather we struggle with a young guy than have a guy come in who is going to jack a bunch of shots up. Every offense is different but these don't look great
View attachment 12224
EDIT: Also a disclaimer I haven't watched him play so I really shouldn't say anything overly strong either way
I imagine with more talent around him, he wouldn't force as many shots and would be more efficient. I really hope so, anyway.

I imagine with more talent around him, he wouldn't force as many shots and would be more efficient. I really hope so, anyway.
I would be (pleasantly) surprised if his efficiency increases or remains the same playing against B1G defenses.

What concerns me is when a player is more interested about how he can impress the pro scout rather than how his talents make this a better team. I like Scuggs and Paige who play within the flow of the game...and by the end of the game, I'm surprised by their point. assist, and rebound totals.

View attachment 12224
Hopefully he can re-capture 18-19. Otherwise him and Gabe together might break the rims at the barn.

What concerns me is when a player is more interested about how he can impress the pro scout rather than how his talents make this a better team. I like Scuggs and Paige who play within the flow of the game...and by the end of the game, I'm surprised by their point. assist, and rebound totals.

I've watched them play a bit.

He brings the ball up for them but doesn't need to be ball dominant, I'd almost call him more combo than PG.

He is certainly unafraid to pull from deep, but he doesn't seem like a ball hog or get his type guy (based on what I've seen).

Seems to have good length and athleticism for defense (vs. MI, guarded Brooks and also held his own when occasionally switched onto Smith, Brown, or even Wagner). I'm excited about the possibility of him / Gabe / Gach locking down the perimeter with a renewed focus on defense. I'm mildly concerned about who from that group efficiently creates his own shot.

View attachment 12224
That SOS is very concerning.

One thing to consider when looking at stats of a player in college (especially mid major) is the talent he played with. Is he forced to create all the offense and take all the bad desperation shots at the end of the shot clock? This will have a negative effect on efficiency but may not be entirely controllable for the player based on what the team needs of him.
View attachment 12224

His PER is 16 for the last 2 seasons. For reference, Carr was a 20.1 this year (19.1 last year) and Mashburn was a 9.4. His true shooting % was about the same as Carr this year. Haven't seen him play either, but just something to keep in mind
He did it in the MAC...Carr did it in the best league in the NCAA

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if his efficiency increases or remains the same playing against B1G defenses.
Yeah, it could go either direction to me. He could be less efficient because he's playing against better teams, but if he felt the need to constantly force things because his team needed him to, then allowing the game to come to him more since he has more talent around him could make him more efficient. Hard to predict how those two things would balance out. If his decision making stays the same, then he will certainly be less efficient.

One thing to consider when looking at stats of a player in college (especially mid major) is the talent he played with. Is he forced to create all the offense and take all the bad desperation shots at the end of the shot clock? This will have a negative effect on efficiency but may not be entirely controllable for the player based on what the team needs of him.
I don't know a ton about who he played with but also know that he plays in the MAC, and played terrible teams all year. If he could shoot or get to the rim consistently his numbers wouldn't be that bad. He's a volume scorer from a bad league, we don't want him IMO. I'm sure I will get a lot of shit for saying that lol.

I'm just providing some numbers. not making a prediction about anything anyone can do or not do.
My bad, yeah thats totally fair. I personally don't want another volume scorer especially when we are trying to get away from dribble dribble jack 3pt shot.

I don't know a ton about who he played with but also know that he plays in the MAC, and played terrible teams all year. If he could shoot or get to the rim consistently his numbers wouldn't be that bad. He's a volume scorer from a bad league, we don't want him IMO. I'm sure I will get a lot of shit for saying that lol.
You could be totally right, I haven’t actually seen him play. I just think with college stats, context matters a lot.

all depends on what he's coming and being asked to do. Is he expected to come in and do that or is he going to have a more Akeem Springs type role. I think that's all people are trying to say

for reference, here are the Springs numbers next to El Amin's

Springs
1616703476178.png

El Amin
1616703496958.png

Again not saying they'll at all be used the same, but it totally depends on how you would expect the guy to walk in and the role you would expect him to play and if the player buys into that (obviously I also understand they're not the same player/size/etc, but just using rough volume numbers and a lower tier of play as example of how they can transfer from a lower tier conference and be fine depending on what you expect from them).

I don’t think we should expect the 2021-22 squad to resemble what Coach Johnson envisions long term. Like many first year coaches he just needs bodies the first year. As such, will we take a guard that is not a great shooter but has other intangibles? Of course. I’m guessing more targeted roster management will start his second year.

I think Fox and El-Amin would both be solid pickups and entirely possible, makes a lot of sense for them and the gophers.
Add in Battle and I like that trio to kick things off.

Who else we got? Race as a role big?

It's crazy what to think about what this roster will look like. I couldn't even guess. No idea who's staying, going, coming. Could go many different directions. I would think it would be halfway decent though.

Last edited:

I don’t think we should expect the 2021-22 squad to resemble what Coach Johnson envisions long term. Like many first year coaches he just needs bodies the first year. As such, will we take a guard that is not a great shooter but has other intangibles? Of course. I’m guessing more targeted roster management will start his second year.
My thinking is our top priority is just a floor general. No Carr or Mashburn is a bigger issue for me. Despite his recent struggles, I do think Kalscheur's shooting can be fixed and Tre has been okay at shooting at times. Hopefully BJ can whip them both into shape.

I've watched them play a bit.

He brings the ball up for them but doesn't need to be ball dominant, I'd almost call him more combo than PG.

He is certainly unafraid to pull from deep, but he doesn't seem like a ball hog or get his type guy (based on what I've seen).

Seems to have good length and athleticism for defense (vs. MI, guarded Brooks and also held his own when occasionally switched onto Smith, Brown, or even Wagner). I'm excited about the possibility of him / Gabe / Gach locking down the perimeter with a renewed focus on defense. I'm mildly concerned about who from that group efficiently creates his own shot.

The way they play is a reason they are so highly sought after. Give me 1 Scruggs and you can have 5 Carr's or 5 Mashburns.

My thinking is our top priority is just a floor general. No Carr or Mashburn is a bigger issue for me. Despite his recent struggles, I do think Kalscheur's shooting can be fixed and Tre has been okay at shooting at times. Hopefully BJ can whip them both into shape.
A floor general or someone who can dribble for 20 seconds while teammates stand around waiting for him to jack up a shot. Consider me old fashion but my definition of a PG is to get everyone involved 1st. The PG handles the ball on every possession so in the course, flow, of the game they will have plenty of opportunities.

A floor general or someone who can dribble for 20 seconds while teammates stand around waiting for him to jack up a shot. Consider me old fashion but my definition of a PG is to get everyone involved 1st. The PG handles the ball on every possession so in the course, flow, of the game they will have plenty of opportunities.
Pitino wanted a scorer at point guard, for the most part so did Tubby, not sure playmaking is a priority for big time college basketball but it still is a team sport so I don't see how you succeed without one.

You could be totally right, I haven’t actually seen him play. I just think with college stats, context matters a lot.
I guess, except we for sure know that the MAC isn't a good basketball conference, and we didn't know what his team was like.

I just looked and they were pretty solid his JR year, pretty meh this year. He wasn't the lead option or close to it his FR/SO year so I'm not sure what you are referencing as far as context. There is not evidence he had to take over games and that is why his stats are inefficient. He has never lead the team in scoring and KJ Walton a Mizzou transfer shot it at a 14% better clip than him. He is inefficient in the MAC, nearly all of the evidence points to it. All of this is available at sportsreference.com

1616765422990.png

all depends on what he's coming and being asked to do. Is he expected to come in and do that or is he going to have a more Akeem Springs type role. I think that's all people are trying to say

for reference, here are the Springs numbers next to El Amin's

Springs
View attachment 12229

El Amin
View attachment 12230

Again not saying they'll at all be used the same, but it totally depends on how you would expect the guy to walk in and the role you would expect him to play and if the player buys into that (obviously I also understand they're not the same player/size/etc, but just using rough volume numbers and a lower tier of play as example of how they can transfer from a lower tier conference and be fine depending on what you expect from them).
Great post, is definitely something to consider. I guess I am just concerned that we are going to bring in a volume scorer, and its going to continue the trend of us dribbling on the arc and jacking 3's. Pitino never had flow to his offense and I'm scared that the guys we have on the roster will be tough to buck from that trend. We need more ball movement and to get to the rim more, and El Amin shoots from the arc a ton.

If he is going to be our ball handler off of the bench, play like 10-15 min, and can defend a little as some say? I would definitely say bring him in, but I don't see him playing any off guard. He always could elevate his play like you said though

View attachment 12224
Steals are solid. Not much else to like.

Top Bottom