All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Jamison Battle (DeLaSalle) is transferring from GW. Averaged 17-5a this year. Seems like a guy that the new coach should target!

Curious if he's athletic enough to play/defend in the B1G. With our roster construction at the time and Amir declaring, I thought Battle would've been a good offer at the time considering he could shoot it and stretch the floor.

I remember Battle was hailed as being a fantastic shooter. He's currently at 36.3% for his college career. He is also attempting over 6 3's per game, which seems kind of high. For comparison, Marcus Carr and Jamison Battle are both at 6.4 3 point attempts per game this season, and Battle was actually over 7 last season. Maybe he's a volume shooter and someone that the defense has to key in on at his level, and that 36% might go up if he's the second or third offensive option at a high major.

Ha ok...I'll admit i was wrong when i thought our 15th ranked team wasn't due for a bottom 2 finish... HOW COULD I NOT SEE THAT COMING?????
it’s the reason we call ‘no slop’ in pool. Cuz, well, slop gets lucky.

We never offered him
Yep, I believe he had interest too. I was hoping we would offer him, and we should just to have a shot at his younger brother. Hercy is bigger then Mashburn, I could see him being able to contribute..

Johnson's already been in contact with Jamison Battle and Parker Fox per Ryan James. Battle is transferring from GW and is a career 36% 3-point shooter who averaged 18ppg last season. Fox is one of the top D2 players in the country. He played for Mahtomedi HS.

If he lands those two, would some of you come off the ledge?

Johnson's already been in contact with Jamison Battle and Parker Fox per Ryan James. Battle is transferring from GW and is a career 36% 3-point shooter who averaged 18ppg last season. Fox is one of the top D2 players in the country. He played for Mahtomedi HS.

Dawson Garcia is what I’m most interested in.

No. I am assuming he is a good recruiter of local talent. My concern is he will get out coached, have losing records, and then all that local recruiting allure goes away because who wants to play for a door mat Big Ten team, and then he loses the one good quality he definitely has.

He needs to be able to recruit and then out coach some of the best coaches in the country, then continue to recruit well. Then people will come off the ledge. We have seen lots of coaches who recruit a lot better than Ben who don't last because they can't get anything out of the talent.

No. I am assuming he is a good recruiter of local talent. My concern is he will get out coached, have losing records, and then all that local recruiting allure goes away because who wants to play for a door mat Big Ten team, and then he loses the one good quality he definitely has.

He needs to be able to recruit and then out coach some of the best coaches in the country, then continue to recruit well. Then people will come off the ledge. We have seen lots of coaches who recruit a lot better than Ben who don't last because they can't get anything out of the talent.
A prime example was Mullens at St Johns. Brought in the players, couldn't coach a lick. I think Johnson will coach well though- part of that is getting the players to unite around you and he may well be able to do that. He's smart. It is likely going to be rough at the start though and it will require patience.

If this hire works its going to take time.

Johnson is in line for a regular beat down in the conference going up against the caliber of coach he will be facing on a nightly basis. Nothing about this hire indicates success is expected at least for a number of years.

If this hire eventually works its going to take time.

Johnson is in line for a regular beat down in the conference going up against the caliber of coach he will be facing on a nightly basis. Nothing about this hire indicates success is expected at least for a number of years.
If that's true, then I don't know if you can survive. Recruiting is all about hope and momentum. When you start you can sell hope because no one can point to something and call BS on your hope. You can be charismatic and a smooth talker and succeed. Once you have a record its impossible to sell hope to someone when you finish bottom of the league for a number of years, people won't buy it, especially locals who will see the "Gophers suck" headlines night-in night-out.

If that's true, then I don't know if you can survive. Recruiting is all about hope and momentum. When you start you can sell hope because no one can point to something and call BS on your hope. You can be charismatic and a smooth talker and succeed. Once you have a record its impossible to sell hope to someone when you finish bottom of the league for a number of years, people won't buy it, especially locals who will see the "Gophers suck" headlines night-in night-out.
If he gets a highly regarded recruiting class this fall- people will be patient until year 4. If not, the honeymoon is over by the end of year two. Needs to get out of the blocks huge on recruiting this summer. Lot's of pressure on that.

Johnson can call sell hope for a few years before the calling BS on his hope becomes a problem.

Do these guys scream big ten title to you?

Not these two alone, but it would be a great start. Both are getting interest from multiple P5 schools.
Only one NCAA team reaching out to Fox:

maybe it’s semantics, but I wouldn’t call this great. I’d call it filling out a roster. Nothing about these two players is going to get me excited, or give me hope that he lands big ten caliber recruits out of high school. These guys are arguably not big ten caliber after several years in college.

great maybe if we were Saint Thomas

Does Big Ten title seem like a realistic expectation in year 1 of a new coach after a 13th place finish the previous year to you?
Here I’ll fix it: Do these two players scream improvement?

Back the question I was responding to... I’m not on Johnson’s back, I’ll root for him to succeed... maybe even buy season tickets for the first time this year - but these two players don’t do anything to ease my unease at this hire. Of course he’s going to fill out a roster with scholarship players. This was my first post on the hire, so I’m not one of the folks bashing it on the internet.

I just don’t think signing these two guys does anything to suggest he’ll be a good coach or recruiter. It doesn’t necessarily suggest that latter either.

Top Bottom