All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pedulla looks like an interesting player. I didn't see a lot of defense in his tapes outside of backside blocks or steals, so I wonder how he would be able to man up against big athletic guards in the Big Ten.

The kid looks like he has some smooth handles, a good jumper, and great court vision though.

Pedulla looks like an interesting player. I didn't see a lot of defense in his tapes outside of backside blocks or steals, so I wonder how he would be able to man up against big athletic guards in the Big Ten.

The kid looks like he has some smooth handles, a good jumper, and great court vision though.

RJ liked his explosiveness. 247 has him OSU it seems.

Since when is a highlight tape full of lock down defensive play? His stats show he can score, pull down rebounds and set up assists. He looks like he hustles and plays with intensity, things that can translate into good defensive.

Strange, since OSU has 5 PG's on their roster, 2 of which are 4 star SO's. Not a great situation to walk into if you want to play.
He doesn't have a lot of national exposure and he is from Oklahoma, of course they are going to say he is an OSU lean. The other side is that OSU still wants him even though they have other 4 stars on the roster. They wouldn't offer if they didn't think he could contribute.

He doesn't have a lot of national exposure and he is from Oklahoma, of course they are going to say he is an OSU lean. The other side is that OSU still wants him even though they have other 4 stars on the roster. They wouldn't offer if they didn't think he could contribute.

If he was from Minnesota we would say he was only including the Gophers to string us along. I wonder if Oklahoma St fans are saying the same.

Anyone hearing anything on TyTy Washington?
Answering my own question, it looks like Minnesota didn't make final 10 list:
IMG_0765.jpg

Yeah, I know. But how do you arrive at a number, then? Why not a Top 37 ??

Jerry Meyer from 247 chimes in on Chet Holmgren

1. Which undecided five-star's decision is the most important to the schools recruiting him? Who can least afford to miss?

Meyer: I'm going with Chet Holmgren and Minnesota. It is quite the opportunity for Minnesota to have 247Sports No. 1 ranked prospect in its backyard. Holmgren, a 7-foot highly skilled player could be a difference maker for the program in terms of his play for one year and the future impact on recruiting. If say a Gonzaga or Michigan were to lose out on Holmgren, it is not nearly as harmful to the program compared to Minnesota losing out on him.

I get the idea behind that but I tend to disagree since we haven't been nationally relevent anyways, so it's not like missing out on him sets us back.

I get the idea behind that but I tend to disagree since we haven't been nationally relevent anyways, so it's not like missing out on him sets us back.
This is precisely why its more important for us (Minnesota). A chance to nap a top 10, let alone, number 1 ranked player in our back yard doesn't happen every year. At some point, we need to land one of these blue chip backyard guys. Rickert was basically the last player I remember landing who was ranked so highly AND wanted by blue chip programs AND was not dead set on staying home.

This is precisely why its more important for us (Minnesota). A chance to nap a top 10, let alone, number 1 ranked player in our back yard doesn't happen every year. At some point, we need to land one of these blue chip backyard guys. Rickert was basically the last player I remember landing who was ranked so highly AND wanted by blue chip programs AND was not dead set on staying home.

I'd really question a top 10 recruits decision making process that stayed home if the part in bold wasn't their priority. I love Chet and it'd be fun and I wouldn't say no, but a Holloman would be a significantly bigger get for the program as we get him for multiple years. One and done guys haven't traditionally really helped non blue bloods get over the hump.

I'd really question a top 10 recruits decision making process that stayed home if the part in bold wasn't their priority. I love Chet and it'd be fun and I wouldn't say no, but a Holloman would be a significantly bigger get for the program as we get him for multiple years. One and done guys haven't traditionally really helped non blue bloods get over the hump.
Bolded: in the sense of "why would you come to a program that isn't a Big Ten contender, let alone national contender, if you didn't want to ..." ?

Pitino has missed out on the majority of if not all of the highly ranked players from the state. Pitino has been criticized for his perceived lack of instate recruiting. At some point he has to landed one of highly ranked recruits to change that perception.

Another Holmgren to Minnesota take:

Take note, number 2 take is Pitino being fired after this coming season.

Pitino has missed out on the majority of if not all of the highly ranked players from the state. Pitino has been criticized for his perceived lack of instate recruiting. At some point he has to landed one of highly ranked recruits to change that perception.

He has landed plenty of highly ranked ones. A Tre Holloman may help with other in state guys. Win more would help the most, but we do need to understand that many are just going to leave. Focus on who we get, not who chooses to leave the state.

Bolded: in the sense of "why would you come to a program that isn't a Big Ten contender, let alone national contender, if you didn't want to ..." ?
If I am a top 10 kid, why am I not looking at and most likely picking a blue blood was my main point. They offer more and have more resources plus a pipeline to the NBA. Most run NBA systems and I'm on National TV every night to build my brand. What I most likely wont do however is win a championship. That requires older players typically.

He has landed plenty of highly ranked ones. A Tre Holloman may help with other in state guys. Win more would help the most, but we do need to understand that many are just going to leave. Focus on who we get, not who chooses to leave the state.
Pitino has missed out on the majority of the top ranked national instate recruits. Pointing that out isn’t misunderstanding that many are going to leave. It’s not a fireable offense but it’s a fair criticism of Pitino.

The only way we get a top recruit is if the player in question decides:

1. I can be a top draft pick no matter where I go.
2. National attention will follow to where I go in some manner.
3. I want to make my state team better.

That's what it takes. Lebron could have made any team National TV material. Same with Williamson. Could Chet? Doubtful he has near that kind of impact. But he could raise the Gophers to the Top of the B1G. That is certain.

He just isn't "Oh, Wow! Chet's on!" material! He probably never will be. But was Larry Bird? Dirk? KG? You can still be very good and still not be Rafeal Nadal at The French Open.

Another Holmgren to Minnesota take:

Take note, number 2 take is Pitino being fired after this coming season.
Strange take. How many people think that if Pitino is able to land the 1 recruit in the country, and just got done building the most talented roster in Minnesota in a long time, would say he would lose his job? I guess the take is that Minnesota would finish 12th or lower, but that will not happen.

Top Bottom