All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Best thing I have read in a long time. Hoping A&M news follows in the near future. How many spots are open yet?
I think 4-6. I honestly can’t keep track. Plus Brandon Johnson exists but is undecided. I don’t believe he’ll go to the NBA right now.

By my count we currently have 4 spots open, but, I believe, we are hoping for 2 transfers from A&M, leaving 2 spots--NOT including Brandon Johnson or Freeman, should they be considering a return to Dinkytown.
So, if Coach Johnson hopes for those guys to return to the roster, we may be full--or not!

By my count we currently have 4 spots open, but, I believe, we are hoping for 2 transfers from A&M, leaving 2 spots--NOT including Brandon Johnson or Freeman, should they be considering a return to Dinkytown.
So, if Coach Johnson hopes for those guys to return to the roster, we may be full--or not!
I think an article in the Star-Tribune said we had 6 available. that was on Thursday 4/22...

I would welcome Sam Freeman back, right? I wouldn't mind him being with us and being someone who gets 12 minutes a game this year and maybe more next year depending on his performance.
He’s the only big body we would have, right? I think he gets more than 12 a game if he comes back. I think he’s got a big upside that some coach is going to tap in the next year or two.

Freeman isn’t coming back and I’m fine with that. We can find an equal or better in the portal still pretty easily. Johnson won’t count against the scholarship if he chooses to come back as well. Something I’d be prepared to see is that we don’t fill our scholarships or we give them to some walk on types for next year and have 7-8 for 2022. Ben would probably bring in 5 freshman and 3 more transfers again to continue to work on roster balance.

Freeman isn’t coming back and I’m fine with that. We can find an equal or better in the portal still pretty easily. Johnson won’t count against the scholarship if he chooses to come back as well. Something I’d be prepared to see is that we don’t fill our scholarships or we give them to some walk on types for next year and have 7-8 for 2022. Ben would probably bring in 5 freshman and 3 more transfers again to continue to work on roster balance.
id be okay banking a few scholarships if he can fill them with top 150 talent. Would like to have 9 playable, but this isn’t the year to fret about depth. Unless BJ thinks he can assemble a tournament team.

Good point about Johnson not counting against the scholarship limit. If it is also true that Freeman is not returning, the team will retain some roster flexibility, but I would think the absence of a 5 on the current roster might be attractive to Freeman and to the Gophers, having just missed on Rebraca.
I'm still worried about not having someone on the team who can compete, particularly on the defensive end, with the Centers we will encounter throughout the B1G.

Good point about Johnson not counting against the scholarship limit. If it is also true that Freeman is not returning, the team will retain some roster flexibility, but I would think the absence of a 5 on the current roster might be attractive to Freeman and to the Gophers, having just missed on Rebraca.
I'm still worried about not having someone on the team who can compete, particularly on the defensive end, with the Centers we will encounter throughout the B1G.

No doubt we need to add some depth at the 5. The portal isn't done growing yet and there will be more options and I'd be absolutely shocked if we didn't add at least one more 4-5 type. I just don't think Freeman is in the cards nor is he going to fit defensively or offensively for what Ben and Thorson will want to do.

I think an article in the Star-Tribune said we had 6 available. that was on Thursday 4/22...
I have Loewe, Stephens, Sutherlin, Willis and Gach at Guard/Wing spots (5) and Battle, Ihnen, Fox and Thompson (incoming Freshman) (4) at Forward. I did't do too much math in college, but think that's 9, which leaves 4.
I had forgotten that Johnson wouldn't count against the total if he comes back, so I guess that means that, if he comes back, we could have 5 spaces... Still, I think we hope for the 2 guys from A&M, so, if one spot is for Johnson, we could have 3, otherwise 2 remaining. I think!

Last edited:

I wonder if BJ is working at trying to get Freeman to stay. In short minutes he appeared to have plenty of potential to develop. He’d have a clear shot at major minutes this year as well.

Maybe that ship has sailed.

If we are going to get a big from the portal who else is left?

otherwise, where do we possibly go with a scholorship to a HS athlete?

He’s the only big body we would have, right? I think he gets more than 12 a game if he comes back. I think he’s got a big upside that some coach is going to tap in the next year or two.
Sam's got a 12 minute limit based upon the 5 fouls per game rule...😗

I don’t remember seeing that Johnson wouldn’t count against the scholarship limit, why is that? Is that a covid 5th year thing?

We have 6 transfers: Sutherlin, Stephens, Loewe, Willis, Fox and Battle, one incoming freshman, Thompson, two guys not in the portal, Gach and Ihnen and Brandon Johnson who also is not in the portal. We get 13 scholarships which means we have 4-5 depending on Johnson, someone said he wouldn't count against the scholarship total. Not sure but perhaps same rules for seniors as in football? This doesn't include the possible A&M transfers.

Freeman isn’t coming back and I’m fine with that. We can find an equal or better in the portal still pretty easily. Johnson won’t count against the scholarship if he chooses to come back as well. Something I’d be prepared to see is that we don’t fill our scholarships or we give them to some walk on types for next year and have 7-8 for 2022. Ben would probably bring in 5 freshman and 3 more transfers again to continue to work on roster balan
If we are going to get a big from the portal who else is left?

otherwise, where do we possibly go with a scholorship to a HS athlete?
Here's the 247 portal:

Here's the 247 portal:
That link looks like a very suspicious, subtle indication that I should take some time and do my own research on who is available for the Gophers to target to play the 5. You can't possibly expect me to actually take the time and go through ALL that information can you? LOL. I'm joking! I actually enjoy checking out the portal and trying to figure out if certain players might fit and be willing to be part of the team. Happy Friday!

We have 6 transfers: Sutherlin, Stephens, Loewe, Willis, Fox and Battle, one incoming freshman, Thompson, two guys not in the portal, Gach and Ihnen and Brandon Johnson who also is not in the portal. We get 13 scholarships which means we have 4-5 depending on Johnson, someone said he wouldn't count against the scholarship total. Not sure but perhaps same rules for seniors as in football? This doesn't include the possible A&M transfers.
Nice recap!
This is setting up to be a pretty ironic year, in that we have all hated Pitnos lack of depth. Well BJ looks to have a solid group from 3-10 who could all contribute in some way, but we are lacking two of the Coffey/Carr/Oturu/Murphy group that you need to be your stars and just take over games. Feels like another potential Weakling Wednesday team but in the opposite way of team building from the last 8 years.

I have Loewe, Stephens, Sutherlin, Willis and Gach at Guard/Wing spots (5) and Battle, Ihnen, Fox and Thompson (incoming Freshman) (4) at Forward. I did't do too much math in college, but think that's 9, which leaves 4.
I had forgotten that Johnson wouldn't count against the total if he comes back, so I guess that means that, if he comes back, we could have 5 spaces... Still, I think we hope for the 2 guys from A&M, so, if one spot is for Johnson, we could have 3, otherwise 2 remaining. I think!

I'm just quoting what Marcus Fuller said in his article in the Star-Tribune from yesterday. I'm not paying to get back to the article, but he said...

"The Gophers, who have 6 open scholarships, reportedly have talked to Vanderbilt's Dylan Disu, Oklahoma's Kur Kuath and Texas A&M's Emmanuel Miller." Maybe the rules for graduates are different, I don't know...but I trust Marcus Fuller more than guys who are posting on a GopherHole Messageboard.

Top Bottom