All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

With revenue sharing unfortunately there is a lot of incentive to not pay guys. The teams on minimal payroll tend to be extremely profitable even if they lose 100 games.
Fair enough.

So you would agree with a salary floor + salary ceiling + players get paid at least X% of the total league revenue?

Fair enough.

So you would agree with a salary floor + salary ceiling + players get paid at least X% of the total league revenue?
I don't agree with the idea of salary caps at all but if they do one it would have to be based on % of revenue I would think.

I'm not big on the idea of saying anything is "fair" or "unfair", but I totally agree with the idea of painting the owners as the "bad guys" here. They are within their rights to fight for a more owner-favorable structure, but they can't expect the public to take their side on that.

Are there really MLB teams out there that would "Major League"-it??? IE, why would a floor be required if each player has a minimum?

I'm sure you all are right, I don't follow baseball closely. Just wondering, thanks
The Astros had a total payroll of $22mil in 2013. The Marlins spent $36mil. The median payroll that year was $90mil and the high was the Yankees at $228mil. The Yankees spent 10x as much as the Astros. That’s F’d.

Who wants to sit in an indoor arena in the summer? Same thing with the Twins in the Dome.
Tough gig for Tampa. On the one hand, their indoor stadium sucks. However I also imagine games in July/August outdoors in Florida wouldn't be that pleasant. On top of that the stadium is in a terrible location and hard to get to as well.

Tough gig for Tampa. On the one hand, their indoor stadium sucks. However I also imagine games in July/August outdoors in Florida wouldn't be that pleasant. On top of that the stadium is in a terrible location and hard to get to as well.
Yeah something like a rolling canopy but still open air on the sides? No idea if that is a thing.

Arizona must have something like that?

Or you just do night games.

Yeah something like a rolling canopy but still open air on the sides? No idea if that is a thing.

Yeah I believe Arizona has a retractable roof, and maybe Miami in their new stadium too, I can't remember.

That's was Seattle's ballpark (T-Mobile Park, formerly Safeco Field) is like.

I haven't seen a Mariners game there, but did see a Pearl Jam show in August, 2018. When we got to the stadium the roof was on in what was record heat for Seattle (high 90s). Really uncomfortable. At dusk just before the show started, the roof opened up. It took about 15 minutes to complete, kind of cool to watch and it turned into a fantastic evening for a concert.

I’m positive “dumb” isn’t a strong enough word. “Ghost wins”!?! What kind of dumbass idea is that? Its like they’re trying to ruin their own sport. If they’re going to go with 12/14 playoff teams, they need to cut the regular season. If half the teams get in, that marathon of a regular season becomes almost meaningless. I’d be sitting my star players at least 25+ games, and keeping my star SP under 180 innings- make sure they’re healthy for the playoffs.

If they go to a 12-14 team playoff, the ghost win makes sense.

Get into the top 6 or 7, you only have to win 2 games vs 3 for the bottom teams in the playoffs. Makes the regular season more important.

First round should be 2 man sack races held on consecutive Sunday's...then the ghost wins.

Is it really that absurd to start up 1-0 on a 6 or 7 seed?

Or are you just reacting to the (I admit, very poorly conceived) "ghost wins" label?

I remember having "ghost runners" when we would play 2 on 2 baseball in the backyard, but this is ridiculous.

Is it really that absurd to start up 1-0 on a 6 or 7 seed?

Or are you just reacting to the (I admit, very poorly conceived) "ghost wins" label?
It is absurd. It would be like the NFL saying "OK there can be a 7th wildcard, but they have to start the game behind 14-0." Why even bother?

I disagree that starting up 1-0 on a best of 5 is even close to starting with a 14-0 lead in a single game.

If you want to reward the higher seeds, make the 1st round 3 games, all at the higher seeded team. I'd go with this and 6 teams per league, if they insist on expansion. That adds ~ 8 games to the play-off TV slate. If they want more games, make the Divisional Round best of 7.

If you want to reward the higher seeds, make the 1st round 3 games, all at the higher seeded team. I'd go with this and 6 teams per league, if they insist on expansion. That adds ~ 8 games to the play-off TV slate. If they want more games, make the Divisional Round best of 7.

Give the higher seed home field advantage for an entire three game series. I think this is a way better idea than "ghost wins".

Give the higher seed home field advantage for an entire three game series. I think this is a way better idea than "ghost wins".
Plus the games can be played on 3 straight days, so we're not playing the World Series on Thanksgiving.

I remember having "ghost runners" when we would play 2 on 2 baseball in the backyard, but this is ridiculous.
Why exactly? It's just another way of giving an advantage to a higher seed who earned it.

EDIT: saw the comments about home field. That's a good idea too. But really, what's the difference? You're just rewarding a higher seeded team in different ways.

More postseason games are more opportunities for fans to ignore. Ratings were horrible for the 2020 Best of 3s, especially with multiple games going on at the same time.

Top Bottom