All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Other than the expanded playoffs, I like the changes coming. Happy to finally see the DH in the NL.

Players got a number of items they wanted in the negotiations

minimum salary increase to $700,000 this year with more increases coming
players on 40-man roster assigned to Triple-A get a salary increase
new bonus pool for players with 2+ years of service time who don't qualify for arbitration
top finishers in Rookie of the Year voting receive bonus service time
a new draft lottery system to try and dissuade teams from tanking
increase in CBT levels, so teams can spend more on payroll without paying a luxury tax
players may only be optioned 5 times during the season

In addition, the issue of draft-pick compensation for teams signing a free agent is subject to further negotiations. If the players approve the International Draft, then no more draft-pick compensation. But if the players reject the International draft, then draft-pick compensation remains.

So, the players got a lot of what they wanted. Yes, the owners got some things, but I really think it's a pretty fair deal, considering the circumstances.

Also, a new system has been set up to consider and fast-track rule changes. Looks like a pitch clock is coming for 2023 along with a restriction on defensive shifts. Players still strongly opposed to electronic strike zone.

Other than the expanded playoffs, I like the changes coming. Happy to finally see the DH in the NL.
Only downside is longer games in the NL as well.

A rule change I would LOVE to see implemented: Teams only get the benefit of a DH while their Starting Pitcher is in the game. This would dissuade the "Opener" strategy with pitchers. Could also let the DH remain if your starter lasts at least 5 innings.

A rule change I would LOVE to see implemented: Teams only get the benefit of a DH while their Starting Pitcher is in the game. This would dissuade the "Opener" strategy with pitchers. Could also let the DH remain if your starter lasts at least 5 innings.
I have hated most changes; this is the first one I’ve seen that’s intriguing. Actually would address some of the slowdown issue too.

Commissioner Opie has a nice ring to it!

Interesting idea Ope, hadn't heard this one. Japanese and Korea teams using this like they do with the Ghost wins for playoffs?

Personally, I'm fine with the shift. Players simply have to learn to bunt. That will take care of that. Not sure if the banning of the shift is for later.

Top Bottom