All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

"The Timberwolves came out of the all-star break with a treacherous stretch of Memphis, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Golden State.

One win would’ve been acceptable in that span. Two would’ve been good.

They got three, with the last coming via a 129-114 win at home Tuesday over the Warriors.

The victory gave Minnesota (34-29) a back-to-back sweep, and marked the first time in six tries that Minnesota won the second game of a back to back. To emerge from the stretch with a winning record is a major step for a team with an outside shot of nabbing a top-six seed in the Western Conference.

Karl-Anthony Towns dominated the game from the get-go, scoring 15 points in the opening frame. Outside of Kevon Looney, Golden State didn’t have anyone remotely capable of contending with Towns’ versatility inside or out. The big man finished with 39 points and nine rebounds.

D’Angelo Russell continued his efficient scoring since he came out of the all-star break, tallying 22 points and seven assists on 8 for 17 shooting. Malik Beasley drained six triples to get to 20 points.

Steph Curry was tremendous, finishing with 34 points, five rebounds and four assists. It was Curry who kept Golden State (43-19) in the game with a number of surges to keep the margin within 10 until Minnesota’s strong start to open the final frame put the game away.

Golden State suffered its sixth consecutive loss at Target Center..

Last edited:

The Athletic: Karl-Anthony Towns has another ‘monster’ night against the Warriors: ‘If you run out of food, feed him the fork’

But it’s about more than just a shooting contest over All-Star weekend. It is the accumulation of performances like the one he put on against Curry’s Warriors Tuesday night, a 39-point man’s game in which he overpowered Golden State’s undermanned frontcourt. Playing on the second night of a back-to-back and without the injured Anthony Edwards, Towns was aggressive from the start, knowing full well the Warriors didn’t have anyone who could check him. Kevon Looney was too slow to stay with him on the perimeter. Rookie Jonathan Kuminga had no idea where Towns was going to go each time the Wolves center faced him up.

It has been a year of rebirth for Towns’ game after all the struggles of the past two seasons set him back. He is an All-Star again, in the middle of his finest season as a pro, a player who has long been discounted and pushed aside rising from the doldrums and demanding respect — at home and across the league.

His latest gem propelled the Wolves to a 129-114 victory over the Warriors, completing a daunting four-game stretch coming out of the All-Star break at 3-1. The Timberwolves (34-29) may not be making up much ground on sixth-seeded Denver in their quest to get out of the Play-In Tournament field, but they are keeping the eighth-seeded Los Angeles Clippers (33-31), who have won four straight games, at bay. The Wolves hold a 1 1/2-game lead over the Clippers for the seventh seed, which would give them two tries on their home court in the Play-In Tournament to win one game and advance to the playoffs.

Tuesday was the second time in the past six games that Towns has scored 39 points. He also hit the go-ahead 3-pointer to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers on the road Monday night and is starting to carry himself with the confidence that a franchise player does. He doesn’t hesitate to proclaim himself the greatest shooting big man of all time. He says when the Wolves need a bucket down the stretch in games, it’s up to him to make “superstar” plays, and he puts the responsibility to fix the team’s struggling defense on his shoulders.

If it sounds a little overconfident to some, there will be no apologies from Towns. This is what the Timberwolves need from him, an assertive, forceful player who recognizes a mismatch and tears it apart piece by piece. The Wolves have shown an ability to give the Warriors fits at Target Center, and with the two possibly on a collision course to face each other in the playoffs, any little edge helps. With Towns in the middle, the Wolves have a big one.

“Feed him, feed him, feed him,” said D’Angelo Russell, who had 22 points and seven assists. “If you run out of food, feed him the fork. I don’t know. Keep feeding him.”

Towns made 14 of 22 shots, went 3-for-6 from deep and made 8 of 11 free throws. He also grabbed nine rebounds. The Wolves outscored Golden State, 54-42, in the paint and even held a 42-40 edge on the glass, a rarity for them. Towns’ 15 points in the first quarter helped the Wolves get off to a strong start after trailing by at least 10 points in six straight games. It also allowed them to finally get a win on the second night of a back-to-back, which has been a bugaboo all season long.

“KAT was a monster, too, and set the tone early,” Finch said. “They didn’t really have an answer for him.”

Howl Wolves!!

In all fairness, Golden State was missing multiple players. The Wolves were missing Ant, but had the rest of their team.

But, that's the way it is now in the NBA. on any given night, you don't know who is going to be on the court.

I don't know if anyone tracks this, but it would be interesting to see how often teams actually play their top 5 starters.

The Wolves now play 7 of their next 8 games against sub .500 teams. If they want to try and move into the 6th spot, they need to win all 7 of those.

The next 7 after that are all against playoff teams.

Wolves are down in Oklahoma City tonight. All things considered it's a game they should win

Minnesota

Oklahoma City

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Josh GiddeyPGFri, Mar 4HipExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Aaron WigginsSFFri, Mar 4AnkleExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Kenrich WilliamsSGFri, Mar 4KneeExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Ty JeromeSGFri, Mar 4HipExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Derrick FavorsCFri, Mar 4BackExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Luguentz DortSFFri, Mar 4ShoulderExpected to be out until at least Mar 6
Mike MuscalaPFTue, Mar 1AnkleExpected to be out until at least Mar 9
Jeremiah Robinson-EarlCWed, Feb 9FootExpected to be out until at least Apr 1
PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Anthony EdwardsSFThu, Mar 3KneeExpected to be out until at least Mar 5
Jarred VanderbiltPFThu, Mar 3QuadricepsGame Time Decision
McKinley Wright IVPGTue, Mar 1ElbowExpected to be out until at least Mar 7

Lack of a bench killed OKC last night. Minnesota's reserves, led by Reid and Prince, outscored Oklahoma City's 74-18. The Wolves are now 35-29, They host Portland tonight and again Monday.

"Karl-Anthony Towns and Naz Reid each scored 20 points to help the Timberwolves defeat the Oklahoma City Thunder 138-101 on Friday night for their third straight victory.

“Just credit Minnesota,” Thunder coach Mark Daigneault said. “They're obviously a really good team, and I thought their foot was on the gas. I thought they were the more aggressive team.”

Taurean Prince scored 18 points, D'Angelo Russell had 17 and Jaden McDaniels added 16 for the Timberwolves, who have averaged 131.3 points during their win streak. They have won six of eight overall.."

Bolmaro and Knight appeared in both the G-League and NBA game on Friday.

It might be a first for the Timberwolves. Teams with their G-League affiliate in the same city have had this happen many times.

I know it's been said many times this year, but last night's game was one the wolves used to lose with predictable regularity. A bunch of unknown players with one star (Simon) come into TC, start bombing away from three, get every loose ball, get quirky calls, get under the wolves' skin and walk out winners. It almost happened last night...but it didn't. That's the difference this year. The wolves are winning the games they are supposed to win.
Lately, the ball is really moving (sorry Ant). KAT isn't whining as much and he's playing awesome ball. I've always hated DLo's game, but he's not playing as much hero ball or the heroics are working. (Still don't trust him in the playoffs when it's all about defense.)
I was joking with a friend of mine last night that the wolves are becoming bullies. Our wolves...NBA Bullies. Too funny.
I just wish the teams right above and below us would start losing.

I know it's been said many times this year, but last night's game was one the wolves used to lose with predictable regularity. A bunch of unknown players with one star (Simon) come into TC, start bombing away from three, get every loose ball, get quirky calls, get under the wolves' skin and walk out winners. It almost happened last night...but it didn't. That's the difference this year. The wolves are winning the games they are supposed to win.
Lately, the ball is really moving (sorry Ant). KAT isn't whining as much and he's playing awesome ball. I've always hated DLo's game, but he's not playing as much hero ball or the heroics are working. (Still don't trust him in the playoffs when it's all about defense.)
I was joking with a friend of mine last night that the wolves are becoming bullies. Our wolves...NBA Bullies. Too funny.
I just wish the teams right above and below us would start losing.
The Wolves are tied for 1st in the league in PPG. They're 9th worst in opponents PPG.

Wolves played a depleted Trail Blazers team last night and beat them by 135-121. Wolves were the favorites going in. Though they played without Edwards or Beverly, had 3 delay of game calls, lost Prince for the 2nd Half and played the 4th Quarter without Beasley, who was thrown out of the game in the 3rd. He had 16 and set a new Wolves record for career 3 pointers in the 21 minutes he did play.

Playing without 2 starters and their 6th man getting only 21 minutes and they still won.

Yep, as mentioned, these aren't your normal Wolves. They play Portland again tomorrow night.

MINNEAPOLIS -- — Karl-Anthony Towns had 36 points and 15 rebounds, and the Minnesota Timberwolves used a late run to hold off the short-handed Portland Trail Blazers 135-121 Saturday night for their fourth straight win.

The Timberwolves are averaging 133.3 points per game in the stretch and trail Denver by two games for the sixth spot in the Western Conference.

Jaylen Nowell scored 22 points off the bench and D'Angelo Russell added 14 points and a career-high 15 assists as six Minnesota players finished in double-figure scoring. On the second night of a back-to-back, the Timberwolves shot a season-best 56.5%.

Towns shot 13 for 17 from the field, missing all four 3-point tries, and was 10 of 11 from the free-throw line.

"They didn't have a matchup for him. He kept going strong to the hoop, he didn't settle at all. He was huge," coach Chris Finch said..

Timberwolves: Minnesota was whistled for three delay-of-game violations. … F Taurean Prince missed the second half with back spasms. … G Patrick Beverley (right ankle soreness) missed the game as a precautionary measure. … G Anthony Edwards sat out his third straight game with a knee injury.

Just saw this interesting fact: After starting the season 4-9, the Minnesota Timberwolves have gone 32-20 since, the 6th best record in the NBA over that time period.

It's too bad Denver and Dallas basically refuse to lose.

Last night I saw Denver was down 7 with about 4 minutes to go. I look later and they win in overtime.

Seriously?

Just saw this interesting fact: After starting the season 4-9, the Minnesota Timberwolves have gone 32-20 since, the 6th best record in the NBA over that time period.

That's impressive.

Howl Wolves!!

ESPN Power Rankings:

13. Minnesota Timberwolves
2021-22 record: 36-29
Previous ranking: 15

The Timberwolves have won four consecutive games to keep pace in what is becoming an increasingly packed playoff picture in the Western Conference. Minnesota has a grip on the No.7 seed, which would give them two chances to win one home game to qualify for the playoffs. The Wolves trail the Nuggets by two games for the No. 6 seed but are only two games ahead of the red-hot LA Clippers at No. 8. -- Collier

Howl Wolves!!

It's too bad Denver and Dallas basically refuse to lose.

Last night I saw Denver was down 7 with about 4 minutes to go. I look later and they win in overtime.

Seriously?

Might not get better tonight. Denver hosts Golden State in a make-up game from December. Besides missing Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala, Gary Payton II and James Wiseman, Steve Kerr told reporters he would not be sending Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Andrew Wiggins to Denver either.

He's ticked-off that the Warriors were re-scheduled to play the Nuggets tonight then travel home to the Bay Area for the second leg of a back-to-back against the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday. The Warriors will then travel back to Denver for a contest against the Nuggets on Thursday.

Can't say that I blame him either.

ESPN Power Rankings:

13. Minnesota Timberwolves
2021-22 record: 36-29
Previous ranking: 15

The Timberwolves have won four consecutive games to keep pace in what is becoming an increasingly packed playoff picture in the Western Conference. Minnesota has a grip on the No.7 seed, which would give them two chances to win one home game to qualify for the playoffs. The Wolves trail the Nuggets by two games for the No. 6 seed but are only two games ahead of the red-hot LA Clippers at No. 8. -- Collier

Howl Wolves!!

Power Rankings from The Athletic:

Tier 3: Playoff Hopefuls​

15. Minnesota Timberwolves (Previously 17th), 36-29, +2.1 net rating​

Weekly slate: Win at Cavs, Win over Warriors, Win at Thunder, Win over Blazers

Clutch profile: 17-14 | Offense: 104.0 (22nd) | Defense: 107.4 (16th) | -3.3 net rating (20th)

Go-to guy: D’Angelo Russell | 86 points on 58 shots | 44.8/31.0/89.3 shooting splits | 11 assists, 4 turnovers

Potential liability: Anthony Edwards | 38 points on 33 shots | 36.4/33.3/81.8 shooting splits | 7 assists, 6 turnovers

While the clutch net rating and offense of the Minnesota Timberwolves wouldn’t lead you to believe they’re a winning team in these moments, they’ve actually managed to grind out a lot of close victories. The Wolves continue to find ways to win these contests, and a lot of it comes from their ability to play defense like we’ve rarely seen in the post-Kevin Garnett era. Russell has been pretty inefficient in a lot of moments throughout the game, but he brushes those bad moments to come through for the Wolves when it’s crunchtime. Karl-Anthony Towns has struggled to get to the free-throw line and he’s not playmaking for others, but he’s been very reliable in scoring and knocking down shots when the ball gets to him. Edwards also hasn’t been bad, but his inefficient scoring in the clutch does put them at a bit of a risk of not solving these late-game offensive execution attempts. Nice step forward for the Wolves overall.

Portland Trail Blazers
NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
Anfernee Simons, SGOutMar 6
Justise Winslow, PFOutMar 6
Eric Bledsoe, SGOutMar 6
i
Minnesota Timberwolves
NAME, POSSTATUSDATE
McKinley Wright IV, PGOutMar 6
D'Angelo Russell, PGOutMar 7
Anthony Edwards, SFOutMar 7

Plenty of yucking it up on the sidelines last night. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn't have many teams like the tanking Trailblazers left on it. Once they get to Miami on Saturday, things get tough.

MINNEAPOLIS -- — Karl-Anthony Towns had 27 points and 13 rebounds as the Minnesota Timberwolves beat the Portland Trail Blazers by double digits for the second time in three days, 124-81 on Monday night.

Malik Beasley added 19 points, and Naz Reid had 18 points and 11 rebounds off the bench for Minnesota.

Towns' effort came in less than three quarters, as he and most of Minnesota's starters stayed on the bench in the fourth with the game well in hand. Towns joined the home crowd in doing the wave from the bench as the Timberwolves fans reveled in their team's blowout victory. Wolves guard Patrick Beverley added to the fun by launching T-shirts into the crowd during the fourth quarter.

"It's an outstanding sports town. We just got to give them a reason to keep coming out," Timberwolves coach Chris Finch said. "This is a team a lot of people like to watch play. ... It feels like we got something growing here and we've just got to keep building on it."..

TOWNS EARNS WEEKLY HONOR

Prior to Monday's game, Towns was named the Western Conference Player of the Week. In four games in the last week, Towns averaged 28.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists as the Timberwolves won all four games during the stretch.

It's the second time this season, and sixth time in Towns' career, that he earned Player of the Week honors.

Last edited:

Howl Wolves!!

Good news, but begs the question. Did somebody tell KSTP that the Wolves were still playing? Looked and the last time they mentioned them was Feb.24. Wait, my bad. That story was about Harden, Embid and Dave Joerger. :LOL:

Howl Wolves!!
A one minute video of Ant casually putting up shots doesn't tell us much about when he'll be able to come back. If he actually has patellar tendinitis, it's a pain in the ass (and knee!!). It's 4-6 weeks at a minimum if the team and the player are being responsible. If it's something else, I have no clue.

Top Bottom